Quantcast

Columbus police release body cam footage from altercation at shots-fired incident

Tylerdagreat

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,640 10,709 609
Alleybux
Columbus police release body cam footage from altercation at shots-fired incident
anthon-l-johnson-.jpg

Anthony L. Johnson, aka the ‘Dancing Cop’

By Ceili Doyle
The Columbus Dispatch
Posted Jun 10, 2019 at 8:54 PM Updated at 5:13 AM

Columbus police released more than 49 minutes of video footage Monday in connection with a Friday encounter in which an officer punched a man who refused to comply with police instructions to stay back from a scene where officers were investigating a report of gunshots.

The video is a compilation of three officers’ body cameras and two cruisers’ video footage showing at least three people taken into custody after a shooting was reported by the ShotSpotter detection system Friday in the 900 block of Heyl Avenue on the South Side. Though the scene is repeated from different angles, the clearest footage of the altercation appears to come at the 22-minute mark.

Jonathan Robinson, 25, refuses to get back and argues with officer Carl Harmon after Harmon stops a woman with two children Robinson later identifies as his kids as they attempt to cross the street toward the house where the investigation is focused.

In the video Harmon shouted at Robinson to “get back!” after he followed the woman crossing the street.

“Or what?” Robinson said.

“Get back,” Harmon repeated.

“Or what?” Robinson asked again.

Harmon told Robinson to back down again as officer Anthony L. Johnson, holding a shotgun, approaches Robinson and orders him to back away. Robinson refused, and Johnson pushed Robinson back with his left hand, according to court documents.

June 24, 2018
“Get the f--- off me,” Robinson reportedly said as he squared off facing Johnson.

Johnson then punched Robinson in the left side of his face. Robinson was immediately thrown to the ground and arrested. At least two others were handcuffed and taken into custody during the confusion that resulted as others reacted to Robinson being struck and arrested.

Robinson declined comment when contacted by The Dispatch.

Over the weekend, cellphone video of the incident went viral across social media, and several people responded criticizing Johnson’s use of force.

Johnson has various social media accounts, all under the username “OhNoItsDaPoPo,” documenting his extensive community outreach efforts. One popular video shows Johnson caught on camera dancing with some local children.

Because the investigation into the incident and the officer’s actions, Columbus police are not giving interviews or releasing further details at this time.

Mochahontas

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,356 1,333 48
Alleybux
These racist cops will use black people for their image to prove "I'm not racist, look at me dancing with this black person." I wish we would decline. I feel the same way about that other cop who is always buying gifts and photographing himself with black children (I think his name is Officer Norman?) But never shown with their own people.

Humbled

Ms. Queen.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,136 8,263 3,758
Alleybux
I'm surprised this didn't pick up more steam. I am done with him and the other cop. Both are using the Black community, but doing sh!t behind closed doors.

supagirl

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
32,631 707 178
Alleybux
I'm surprised this didn't pick up more steam. I am done with him and the other cop. Both are using the Black community, but doing sh!t behind closed doors.
That dancing cop was downtown at my daughter's high school before the pandemic dancing with them. What he doing behind closed doors?