Quantcast

UPDATE Conviction overturned in 1981 rape of author Alice Sebold - UPDATE! Statement from Alice Sebold

SadSadSong

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,024 4,981 3,648
Alleybux
Every single day this country reveals itself. The justice system my ass..... it's the INjustice system. I don't even have words. I'm happy he was exonerated but my god what torture. Netflix should give the money to him that would've been used to produce this adaptation on principal.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,716 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
I kinda read a bit about Alice & the book Lucky on Wikipedia (& came across the excerpt of her describing her rape. GOD I wish I hadn't.) & according to the book, her off campus apartment got burglarized & her roommate was xesually assaulted.

Alice said it took place after Broadwater was convicted & she felt it was connected to the conviction & was retaliation. Of course now we know Anthony was innocent, but I wonder if Alice's rapist knew her?

If this truly happened, was she being stalked without her knowing? Like maybe the guy saw her around, took a liking to her, & decided to track her. After following her for a while, he decided to pounce the night she was walking through the park.

Alice left NY after her attack then came back to finish her degree. That was when she spotted Anthony. So I wonder if the actual rapist happened to notice she was back, started tracking her again, saw where she lived (maybe he always knew where she lived from the first round of stalking), then decided to try to attack her a second time but when he broke into her apartment found she wasn't there & assaulted the roommate instead.

IDK. Its just crazy to me that her friend got attacked too. Like what are the odds of that? I mean .... it could be a horrible coincidence that two college girls who are friends were both assaulted their first few years at college.

But I wonder if her friend got a rape kit? Cause if she did, & if they still have Alice's RK, maybe they could compare them to see if it was the same perpetrator. I hope they catch him so justice can actually be served. I hate hearing about innocent folks getting locked up while the real predators walk scotfree.
THE PI the producer hired said he thinks he knows who did it and gave the prosecution the name. He said it was a man arressted for xesual assault. It would be good if they followed that and revealed who it was. I think EVERYONE is wondering if that person is even Black at this point. How deeply sick that this woman may not likely want that revealed because her own racial bias prevented actual justice occurring whether the actual rapist is Black or not, it still reveals her bias in thinking she could identify when she didn't even clearly see the person's face and misidentified.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,716 2,897 1,014
Alleybux

The 1981 lineup that led to the WRONG man being jailed for raping Lovely Bones author: Alice Sebold, then 19, chose a different man for attack that inspired her memoir Lucky - but was told by the COPS that she got it wrong​

• Anthony Broadwater, 61, spent 16 years behind bars for raping Alice Sebold in a park in Syracuse in 1981
  • She reported the attack to police at the time and in a lineup, identified a different man as her attacker
  • The cops were convinced that Broadwater was her attacker and they told her she'd picked the wrong man
  • She later said they were 'identical' and that Broadwater was her attacker; she identified him in the courtroom
  • He was convicted on that identification and flimsy hair analysis that the DoJ now wouldn't rely on
  • The rape was the subject of Sebold's 1999 memoir Lucky, which she sold over 1million copies of
  • Broadwater was released from prison in 1999; he lived quietly, as a 'pariah' because he had a rape conviction
  • In 2019, the conviction started to unravel when producers started turning Lucky into a movie
  • Script writer Tim Mucciante noticed 'inconsistencies' with the narrative and he hired a private investigator
  • That PI took their findings to a pair of defense attorneys who represented Broadwater in court on Monday
  • He is now asking for an apology from Sebold; she is yet to comment on the exoneration
The Lovely Bones author Alice Sebold selected a different man as her rapist in a 1981 police lineup than the one who ended up going to jail for 16 years, but was led by police to think she had chosen the 'wrong' man.

The lineup emerged on Wednesday, two days after Anthony Broadwater - the man who was jailed for 16 years for the attack - had his conviction overturned by a judge.

In 1981, Sebold was raped in a park near Syracuse University, where she was a 19-year-old freshman in college. The attack was the subject of her 1999 memoir, Lucky, which sold over 1million copies and kickstarted her literary career.

She told police at the time about the rape then months after it, when they'd failed to locate him, saw a man in the street who she was convinced was her attacker. Broadwater was in the area at the time of the run-in with the alleged rapist, so he was brought into the investigation.

At a lineup shortly afterwards, she was asked to identify the rapist but she picked the man standing next to Broadwater.

Cops told her afterwards that she had 'failed to identify the suspect' because she didn't pick Broadwater, the man they were sure she'd walked past in the street. The police extracted one of his pubic hairs to run a DNA analysis on him and they used that hair analysis to convict him. In court, she identified him as her attacker and in her book, she explained the discrepancy as a mistake because he was 'identical' to the man she did pick.

On Monday, the conviction was overturned on the basis that she'd picked a different man in the police lineup, and because the DNA analysis that was used is now considered junk science by the Department of Justice.

Sebold is yet to comment on the exoneration which only happened this week after a producer working on a Netflix adaptation of Lucky hired a private investigator because he was dubious of some of the 'inconsistencies' in the memoir.

In Lucky, Sebold describes the lineup and how she was convinced that it was the man standing in position five who had raped her because he 'looked at' her, though she was standing behind a glass panel and they could not see her.

50922611-10238877-image-m-11_1637770456790.jpg

This is the 1981 line up of black men that Alice Sebold was told to choose from. Anthony Broadwater is the second from the right, fourth along in the lineup. She picked the man next to him, who was in the fifth position, but was then told by police she had 'failed to identify the suspect'. They were convinced it was Broadwater and she later changed her identification in court, naming him as her attacker. The man in fifth position has not been named and it's unclear why he was in the lineup

Lovely Bones author Alice Sebold, left, is yet to comment on the exoneration of Anthony Broadwater, pictured right in court on Monday.

Lovely Bones author Alice Sebold, left, is yet to comment on the exoneration of Anthony Broadwater, pictured right in court on Monday.

Lovely Bones author Alice Sebold, left, is yet to comment on the exoneration of Anthony Broadwater, pictured right in court on Monday. She is now 59 and he is 61

'Five black men in almost identical light blue shirts and dark blue pants walked in and assumed their places. "It's not one, two, or three," I said,' she wrote in her memoir.

Sebold detailed the assault in her 1999 memoir, Lucky - her first of three books - which was in the process of being adapted as a film for Netflix. The fate of the film adaptation following Broadwater's exoneration is currently unknown's exoneration is currently unknown

Sebold detailed the assault in her 1999 memoir, Lucky - her first of three books - which was in the process of being adapted as a film for Netflix. The fate of the film adaptation following Broadwater's exoneration is currently unknown

Broadwater was standing in position four.

'I stood in front of number four. He was not looking at me. While he looked toward the floor I saw his shoulders. Wide like my rapist's, and powerful.

'The shape of his head and neck - just like my rapist's. His build, his nose, his lips. I hugged my arms across my chest and stared.

'I moved on to number five. His build was right, his height. And he was looking at me, looking right at me, as if he knew I was there. Knew who I was. The expression in his eyes told me that if we were alone, if there were no wall between us, he would call me by name and then kill me.... I approached the clipboard... I placed my X in the number five box. I had marked the wrong one,' she wrote.

After the lineup, she was told by a Sergeant Lorenz, that she picked out the wrong person.

'Alice, it's my duty to inform you that you failed to pick out the suspect,' she quoted him saying.

'He did not tell me which one was the suspect. He couldn't. But I knew. I stated for the record that in my opinion, the men in positions four and five were almost identical.'

She then described how the then Assistant District Attorney Gail Uebelhoer came into the room and said: 'Well, we got the hair out of the bastard,' referring to Broadwater.

In Lucky, Sebold wrote that she believed she had made a mistake in the police lineup. She went on to identify him in court and he was jailed.
Sebold wrote in Lucky how she was attacked from behind by a man in the park in Syracuse when she was a college student in 1981. She describes over several pages in graphic detail how he raped her then let her go, telling her she was a 'good girl' and apologizing for what he'd done. The book sold over 1million copies and propelled her career'good girl' and apologizing for what he'd done. The book sold over 1million copies and propelled her career

Sebold wrote in Lucky how she was attacked from behind by a man in the park in Syracuse when she was a college student in 1981. She describes over several pages in graphic detail how he raped her then let her go, telling her she was a 'good girl' and apologizing for what he'd done. The book sold over 1million copies and propelled her career'good girl' and apologizing for what he'd done. The book sold over 1million copies and propelled her career

Sebold wrote in Lucky how she was attacked from behind by a man in the park in Syracuse when she was a college student in 1981. She describes over several pages in graphic detail how he raped her then let her go, telling her she was a 'good girl' and apologizing for what he'd done. The book sold over 1million copies and propelled her career

Broadwater, now 61, was paroled in 1999. He has since lived as a 'pariah', working as a trash hauler because he couldn't get any other type of work. He got married and wanted to have children but didn't, because he was too afraid of them having to bear the stigma of his rape conviction.

In court on Monday, he told the judge: 'On my two hands, I can count the people that allowed me to grace their homes and dinners, and I don't get past 10. That's very traumatic to me.'

Producer Tim Mucciante called in a private investigator to look into the case because he was so alarmed by the inconsistencies in the memoir

Producer Tim Mucciante called in a private investigator to look into the case because he was so alarmed by the inconsistencies in the memoir

The case unraveled in 2019 after Sebold agreed to have Lucky turned into a movie for Netflix.

Timothy Mucciante, a producer and script writer, signed on to the project but he was quickly suspicious of the details.

'I started poking around and trying to figure out what really happened here,' Mucciante told The Associated Press earlier this week.

It's not clear exactly what those inconsistencies are but he hired a private investigator who then gave their findings to a pair of defense attorneys.

They filed an appeal, and the case returned to court on Monday.

Onondaga County DA William Fitzpatrick apologized to Broadwater, and said: 'This should never have happened.'

In 2002, she published The Lovely Bones - another story based around child kidnap and rape. It sold over 5million copies in America alone, grossing $60million in sales, and was turned into a blockbuster Hollywood movie in 2009 starring Saoirse Ronan, Stanley Tucci and Mark Wahlberg.

Broadwater broke down in tears as the conviction was expunged. He is now asking for an apology from Sebold, who is yet to comment.

'I just hope and pray that maybe Ms. Sebold will come forward and say, "Hey, I made a grave mistake," and give me an apology. I sympathize with her, but she was wrong.'

Sebold wrote in Lucky of being raped as a first-year student at Syracuse in May 1981.

'This is what I remember. My lips were cut. I bit down on them when he grabbed me from behind and covered my mouth. He said these words: "I'll kill you if you scream." I remained motionless. "Do you understand? If you scream you're dead."

'I nodded my head. My arms were pinned to my sides by his right arm wrapped around me and my mouth was covered with his left.'

She goes on to describe the rape in graphic detail, how she had to talk to the rapist to encourage him, telling him he was a 'good man' and how she wished it to be over.

She wrote how he then apologized in tears once the attack was over, and told her she was a 'good girl'.

Broadwater, 61, shook with emotion, sobbing as his head fell into his hands, as the judge in Syracuse vacated his conviction at the request of prosecutors

Broadwater, 61, shook with emotion, sobbing as his head fell into his hands, as the judge in Syracuse vacated his conviction at the request of prosecutors

Broadwater, pictured in court on Monday, said he was still crying tears of joy and relief over his exoneration the next day

Broadwater, pictured in court on Monday, said he was still crying tears of joy and relief over his exoneration the next day

Sebold describes running back to her dorm, confiding in her friends that she was just 'beaten and raped' in the park.

'My face smashed in, cuts across my nose and lip, a tear along my cheek. My hair was matted with leaves. My clothes were inside out and bloodied. My eyes were glazed,' she said.

Months later, she said she spotted a black man in the street and thought it was him.

How Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones rocketed her to literary stardom​

50910743-10235335-image-a-6_1637750208127.jpg

Alice Sebold was writing her hugely successful novel The Lovely Bones, about the rape and murder of a teenage girl, in the late 1990s when she found herself having to abandon that project so she could complete her own memoir about how she was raped as student.

She said years later that she wanted the dead narrator of her novel, Susie Salmon, to 'tell her own story,' while her memoir, Lucky, would be the 'real deal' about rape.

That memoir was published in 1999 three years before her novel and received great critical acclaim.

But it would be The Lovely Bones (2002) that would launch her into literary stardom after it became an instant classic.

The novel starts with the arresting line: 'My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.'
The book is told in the voice of Susie, a dead girl speaking from heaven after she has been raped and murdered.

Susie tells the harrowing tale of her vicious abduction and murder in a cornfield near her home and observes the events which follow.

How her dismembered elbow is discovered in the field in a patch of blood, but her body is nowhere to be found.

This allows her parents to harbor a vain hope that she will be found alive.

The portrayal of her family suffering the immense grief of losing their child was what made the novel a hit with critics.

The New York Times's Michiko Kakutani described it as 'a deeply affecting meditation on the ways in which terrible pain and loss can be redeemed.'

But others found Susie's ability to flit between heaven and Earth an unconvincing plot device.

The ghost of the girl is glimpsed by family members as they walk around corners in their house.

And she even enters the body of a school friend who is making love to her own former sweetheart.

The novel was immensely popular, particularly with teenage girls and women.

English author Joan Smith attacked the novel's 'apple-pie sentimentality', saying it was sickly sweet.

Literary critic Philip Hensher described the book as 'a slick, overpoweringly saccharine and unfeeling exercise in sentiment.'

The novel went on to win the American Booksellers Association Book of the Year Award for Adult Fiction in 2003 and was made into a movie by fantasy-loving director Peter Jackson starring Saoirse Ronan, Susan Sarandon and Stanley Tucci.

The Lovely Bones has influenced an entire sub-genre of Young Adult (YA) fiction known derisively as 'sick lit', which has enduring popularity to this day.

Commonly it is fiction which revolves around the afterlife where protagonists are killed early on in the narrative, finding themselves in a strange ghost world.

The hugely successful Twilight Saga, a series of fantasy romance novels by Stephenie Meyer, were influenced by Sebold's work.

'He was smiling as he approached. He recognized me. It was a stroll in the park to him; he had met an acquaintance on the street,' wrote Sebold. '"Hey, girl," he said. "Don't I know you from somewhere?"'

She said she didn't respond: 'I looked directly at him. Knew his face had been the face over me in the tunnel.'

In their motion to vacate the conviction, the defense attorneys Hammond and Swartz argued that the case relied solely on Sebold’s identification of Broadwater in the courtroom and a now-discredited method of hair analysis.

They also said that prosecutorial misconduct was a factor during the police lineup because a lawyer had falsely claimed to Sebold that Broadwater and the man standing next to him were friends who looked alike and had purposely appeared together to trick her.

The attorneys said this false claim had tainted Sebold's later testimony.

Mucciante hired a private investigator earlier this year, who put him in touch with J. David Hammond, of Syracuse-based CDH Law, who brought in fellow defense lawyer Melissa Swartz, of Cambareri & Brenneck.

Hammond and Swartz credited Fitzpatrick for taking a personal interest in the case and understanding that scientific advances have cast doubt on the use of hair analysis, the only type of forensic evidence that was produced at Broadwater's trial to link him to Sebold's rape.

The fate of the film adaptation of 'Lucky' was unclear in light of Broadwater's exoneration.

A messages seeking comment was left with its new executive producer, Jonathan Bronfman of Toronto-based JoBro Productions.

Messages to Sebold seeking comment were sent through her publisher and her literary agency.

Broadwater remained on New York's xes offender registry after finishing his prison term in 1999.

Broadwater, who has worked as a trash hauler and a handyman in the years since his release from prison, told the AP that the rape conviction blighted his job prospects and his relationships with friends and family members.

Even after he married a woman who believed in his innocence, Broadwater never wanted to have children.

'We had a big argument sometimes about kids, and I told her I could never, ever allow kids to come into this world with a stigma on my back,' he said.

Broadwater was a pariah because he remained on the xes offender's list.

'On my two hands, I can count the people that allowed me to grace their homes and dinners, and I don't get past 10. That's very traumatic to me.'

Sebold wrote in Lucky that when she was informed that she'd picked someone other than the man she'd previously identified as her rapist, she said the two men looked 'almost identical.'

She wrote that she realized the defense would be that: 'A panicked white girl saw a black man on the street. He spoke familiarly to her and in her mind she connected this to her rape. She was accusing the wrong man.'

Broadwater described how his life was destroyed by the false conviction.

He had just returned home to Syracuse in 1981, aged 20, after serving in the Marine Corps in California. He had gone home because his father was ill, he said.

His father's health worsened during the trial, and he died shortly after Broadwater was sent to prison.

Sebold spotted him in the street five months after her attack, said he could be her attacker, and he was arrested. Sebold reported her attack immediately and evidence was collected from a rape kit.

She described her attacker to the police, but the resulting composite sketch did not resemble him. Sebold did not identify him in a lineup, but later said she was confused.

Sebold said she pointed out a different man as her attacker because 'the expression in his eyes told me that if we were alone, if there were no wall between us, he would call me by name and then kill me.'

Broadwater broke down in tears on Monday after being officially exonerated by Supreme Court Justice Water T. Gorman in a Syracuse court.

'I never, ever, ever thought I would see the day that I would be exonerated,' Broadwater told The Post-Standard of Syracuse after the emotional hearing.

The district attorney apologized to Broadwater privately before the court hearing.

'When he spoke to me about the wrong that was done to me, I couldn't help but cry,' Broadwater said.

'The relief that a district attorney of that magnitude would side with me in this case, it's so profound, I don't know what to say...I'm so elated, the cold can't even keep me cold,' Broadwater said.

The assault allegedly took place at Syracuse University in 1982, Sebold said

The assault allegedly took place at Syracuse University in 1982, Sebold said

These excerpts! I never read this book but the level of creepy familiarity the rapist acted like...another font mentioned her apartment being burglarized and then her roommate being assaulted. The font suggested this was a stalker and was following her...that all makes more sense. The PI says he has a name and believes he knows her real rapist. That should be pursued and revealed. I think there is way more to this story and Alice and her team may try to bury this whole story. I hope the truth prevails.

NZURI

Delete Account
Reaction score
Reactions
257,693 8,171 8,001
Alleybux
Why do black women even care about this?
Maybe because our wounds are still fresh so we remember the devastation that ensues after these diabolical b!tches make false accusations.

There are survivors still alive to tell those horror stories plus those who heard firsthand retellings from survivors and witnesses. I have my own stories that I heard secondhand, which is not any less traumatic. So sorry not sorry I don't trust anything any white woman says without undeniable corroborating evidence.

Batcountry

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,257 536 51
Alleybux
Sucks for both of these people. Why do black women even care about this?
I don’t understand this mentality. Do Black women not have Black sons? Husbands? Fathers? Brothers? This could have happened to anyone who was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Why not care just because a white woman is involved? Even as a human being, you can sympathize with this man having years of his life stolen. Some of y’all are weird on here and need to seek therapy to work on your compassion.

zansanchez

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,439 1,458 203
Alleybux
Maybe because our wounds are still fresh so we remember the devastation that ensues after these diabolical b!tches make false accusations.

There are survivors still alive to tell those horror stories plus those who heard firsthand retellings from survivors and witnesses. I have my own stories that I heard secondhand, which is not any less traumatic. So sorry not sorry I don't trust anything any white woman says without undeniable corroborating evidence.
totally agree.

remember susan smith?
or him. a black guy killed his wife

both of these white people murdered & blamed black men

Tweetynsc

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,125 824 519
Alleybux
This b!tch is diabolical. So many countless lives these demons have destroyed yet still want to make themselves the victim and the hero. No b!tch you are the villain in your own story.

I don't believe anything this hoe says. She is an admitted liar. She knew it was the wrong guy but wanted to punish as many black men as she could.

Her attacker was probably white. She probably never saw his face.
All of this!!! I said also that I bet her attacker was white. She probably has no idea the race of her attacker, nor did she see his face!

DominaHW

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
441,287 9,378 4,423
Alleybux

I don’t understand this mentality. Do Black women not have Black sons? Husbands? Fathers? Brothers? This could have happened to anyone who was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Why not care just because a white woman is involved? Even as a human being, you can sympathize with this man having years of his life stolen. Some of y’all are weird on here and need to seek therapy to work on your compassion.

Some of y'all will never learn.

RedHawt

No Fake Zone
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
66,861 4,110 4,573
Alleybux
It wasn’t on her to see to it that her mistake didn’t result in an innocent man in prison. Her racism doesn’t make it her fault. The racism of the people who actually put him in prison is what matters.

She knew he did not rape her. She knew it. She picked out the wrong man in the lineup. Prosecutors can't prosecute without victims statement/testimony of facts. Then they would have to prove the case beyond doubt.

Historical self-victimization and the police were determined to uphold the myth that Black men rape white women.

A better story line would have been something realistic:
She probably got dumped by her Black boyfriend and sought revenge.

Dangerous women, another Emmitt Till situation.

SerenityNow

READ THE OP FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING
Reaction score
Reactions
301,469 1,599 276
Alleybux

Alice has issued a statement​

Statement from Alice Sebold​

Alice Sebold
Alice Sebold
2 hours ago·2 min read

First, I want to say that I am truly sorry to Anthony Broadwater and I deeply regret what you have been through.

I am sorry most of all for the fact that the life you could have led was unjustly robbed from you, and I know that no apology can change what happened to you and never will. Of the many things I wish for you, I hope most of all that you and your family will be granted the time and privacy to heal.

40 years ago, as a traumatized 18-year-old rape victim, I chose to put my faith in the American legal system. My goal in 1982 was justice — not to perpetuate injustice. And certainly not to forever, and irreparably, alter a young man’s life by the very crime that had altered mine.

I am grateful that Mr. Broadwater has finally been vindicated, but the fact remains that 40 years ago, he became another young Black man brutalized by our flawed legal system. I will forever be sorry for what was done to him.

Today, American society is starting to acknowledge and address the systemic issues in our judicial system that too often means that justice for some comes at the expense of others. Unfortunately, this was not a debate, or a conversation, or even a whisper when I reported my rape in 1981.

It has taken me these past eight days to comprehend how this could have happened. I will continue to struggle with the role that I unwittingly played within a system that sent an innocent man to jail. I will also grapple with the fact that my rapist will, in all likelihood, never be known, may have gone on to rape other women, and certainly will never serve the time in prison that Mr. Broadwater did.

Throughout my life, I have always tried to act with integrity and to speak from a place of honesty. And so, I state here clearly that I will remain sorry for the rest of my life that while pursuing justice through the legal system, my own misfortune resulted in Mr. Broadwater’s unfair conviction for which he has served not only 16 years behind bars but in ways that further serve to wound and stigmatize, nearly a full life sentence.

She still needs to cut Mr.Broadwater a check. PERIODT

teenimeeni

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,094 344 11
Alleybux

teenimeeni

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,094 344 11
Alleybux
Stories like this really piss me off...

She living in a $6M mansion in San Fransisco while this innocent man has had his life ruined for decades because of her mistake, living in squalor, registered as a xes offender even after getting out of jail.

Nothing can compensate for his pain and life impact, but she should should pay a penalty for her mistake.
I understand she was raped, but that's not a sufficient reason for "black people look alike so lets convict an innocent black man"...

Imagine the high number of cases where this same situation happens but never get corrected?
if you see just one, there must be orders of magnitude more...like roaches..
Ever heard of a white man wrongly convicted?? Me neither!

teenimeeni

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,094 344 11
Alleybux
pretty fµck!ng sad that it took a damn Netflix for this man to finally be exonerated.
He should write a book on his story, I would buy it. Or someone should make a movie of his side of the story and loop him in as an exec. White people make $$ out of their fake ass stories ALL the time, let real people with real stories come into the spotlight and make moolah.

Last edited:

RedHawt

No Fake Zone
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
66,861 4,110 4,573
Alleybux
She still blamed the prosecutor, and took no blame.

Knowing he did not rape her. She was probably dating a Black man, got dumped and sought revenge. She believed exactly that the legal system would believe her b/c the myths she was taught about Black men raping YT women. Classic victim playing and weaponizing YTness.

Still believe same reason Guyger killed Botham b/c her SM was scrubbed before her identity (pic) was posted.

Pettily

Of small importance; trivial: a petty grievance.
Reaction score
Reactions
16,872 992 539
Alleybux
for a very long time lucky was my favorite memoir. i enjoyed it more than lovely bones tbh. i encouraged my sister to read both books, as we are both rape survivors via child xes abuse. she should be ashamed after all these years.

Kim K K W

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,728 4,250 7,640
Alleybux
OMGGGG why isn’t this a bigger story. This woman is evil wicked trash and so many websites I’m reading people are still having sympathy for this b!tch becsuse of her trauma. fµck that I don’t care I have zero sympathy for her. Oh well I don’t care what happened to her.
And her sorry not really sorry statement is Trash. She needs to be in jail. She needs to take herself on talk shows and apologize. Show people who she really is and let then not forget that this happens.
This isn’t the first or last time something like this will happen. I’m so angry on behalf of this man’s life taken from him for years.

JudgeChutkan

Josh Anderson is MINE
Reaction score
Reactions
45,993 3,046 680
Alleybux
American author Alice Sebold has apologised for her part in the wrongful conviction of a man who was cleared last week of raping her in 1981.
In her memoir Lucky, she described being raped and later telling police she had seen a black man in the street who she believed was her attacker.
Anthony Broadwater was arrested and convicted, spending 16 years in prison.
A statement from Mr Broadwater, released via his lawyers, said he was "relieved that she has apologised".
In Ms Sebold's apology statement, she said: "I am sorry most of all for the fact that the life you could have led was unjustly robbed from you, and I know that no apology can change what happened to you and never will".
Lucky sold more than one million copies and launched Ms Sebold's career as an author. She went on to write the novel The Lovely Bones which was turned into an Oscar-nominated film by Peter Jackson.
Lucky's publisher announced on Tuesday that it would stop distributing the memoir while working with Ms Sebold to "consider how the work might be revised".
The book detailed how Ms Sebold was attacked when she was an 18-year-old student at Syracuse University in New York.
Months later, she reported seeing a black man in the street who she thought was her attacker, and alerted police.
An officer then detained Mr Broadwater, who had reportedly been in the area at the time.
After his arrest, Ms Sebold failed to pick him out in a police line-up, selecting another man. But Mr Broadwater was tried anyway and Ms Sebold identified him as her attacker in court. He was convicted based on her account and microscopic hair analysis.
After he was released from prison in 1998, Mr Broadwater remained on the xes offenders register.

_121901074_gettyimages-1129548199.jpg

He was exonerated on 22 November after a re-examination of the case found he had been convicted on insufficient and now-discredited forms of evidence.
His wrongful conviction came to light after an executive producer working on a film adaptation of Lucky raised questions over the case, and later hired a private investigator.
"Certain things leapt out at me as being unusual in the American criminal justice system - specifically the line-up procedure where Alice picked the wrong person as her assailant… but they tried him [Mr Broadwater] anyway," Timothy Mucciante told the BBC's Today programme.
He said he discussed his concerns with other members of the production team, but was assured that the book had been vetted and reviewed by lawyers.
"In June, I was separated from the picture, and... about a week later or so I contacted the private investigator," he said.
Mr Mucciante said he hired the investigator on a Wednesday, and by the Friday both men were convinced there had been a miscarriage of justice.

He described it as a "terrific tragedy... not only in terms of the unfortunate assault of Alice, but also the sort of metaphoric assault of Anthony Broadwater, who spent 16 years in prison and 23 years after that as a registered xes offender".
Mr Mucciante said it was "impossible" for him "to lay any blame at the 18-year-old Alice Sebold" for the wrongful conviction.
"I read Alice's apology and Anthony was very gracious in accepting that apology and I really applaud him for that. That's the kind of person he is," he said.
Upon hearing the news that he had been cleared of the crime, Mr Broadwater, 61, told AP news agency that he was crying "tears of joy and relief".
Ms Sebold said in her statement that she had spent the last eight days trying to "comprehend how this could have happened".
"I will also grapple with the fact that my rapist will, in all likelihood, never be known, may have gone on to rape other women, and certainly will never serve the time in prison that Mr Broadwater did," she added.

SHE IS TERRIBLE HE HAS TO SUE WHAT IS THIS APOLOGY

atlhottie

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
28,536 904 210
Alleybux
The only acceptable apology in this case is some of that money she made off her book.

dufresne

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,105 82 15
Alleybux
lol. This really is America. He needs to sue AND I wanna see her in an orange jumpsuit. Mind boggling that women lying about rape isn’t seen as a legal jail time worthy crime. And she could’ve kept that sh!t apology

EchoLake

shimmering
Reaction score
Reactions
174,974 4,295 2,758
Alleybux
Ngl, I always check out when white people start vaguely talking about "American society" perpetuating injustices. YOU are American society.

An apology full of "I, I, I."

Alice has issued a statement

Alice Sebold
Alice Sebold
2 hours ago·2 min read

First, I want to say that I am truly sorry to Anthony Broadwater and I deeply regret what you have been through.

I am sorry most of all for the fact that the life you could have led was unjustly robbed from you, and I know that no apology can change what happened to you and never will. Of the many things I wish for you, I hope most of all that you and your family will be granted the time and privacy to heal.

40 years ago, as a traumatized 18-year-old rape victim, I chose to put my faith in the American legal system. My goal in 1982 was justice — not to perpetuate injustice. And certainly not to forever, and irreparably, alter a young man’s life by the very crime that had altered mine.

I am grateful that Mr. Broadwater has finally been vindicated, but the fact remains that 40 years ago, he became another young Black man brutalized by our flawed legal system. I will forever be sorry for what was done to him.

Today, American society is starting to acknowledge and address the systemic issues in our judicial system that too often means that justice for some comes at the expense of others. Unfortunately, this was not a debate, or a conversation, or even a whisper when I reported my rape in 1981.

It has taken me these past eight days to comprehend how this could have happened. I will continue to struggle with the role that I unwittingly played within a system that sent an innocent man to jail. I will also grapple with the fact that my rapist will, in all likelihood, never be known, may have gone on to rape other women, and certainly will never serve the time in prison that Mr. Broadwater did.

Throughout my life, I have always tried to act with integrity and to speak from a place of honesty. And so, I state here clearly that I will remain sorry for the rest of my life that while pursuing justice through the legal system, my own misfortune resulted in Mr. Broadwater’s unfair conviction for which he has served not only 16 years behind bars but in ways that further serve to wound and stigmatize, nearly a full life sentence.

zansanchez

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,439 1,458 203
Alleybux
Ngl, I always check out when white people start vaguely talking about "American society" perpetuating injustices. YOU are American society.

An apology full of "I, I, I."
narcissist
she seems to forget how she fµcked up a man's life while making a handsome profit

Last edited:

LexC

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
10,540 198 116
Alleybux
There is no denying she was a victim of rape. I’m sorry she had to experience that horror.

I do not care for her apology. It’s too passive and seeks to distance herself from culpability in the role she played in the wrongful conviction of Mr. Broadwater. I also get that it’s written to not make her culpable because she and her lawyers are fearful of a lawsuit.

BUT

She played an active role in his conviction and there is no running from that fact. Do I believe the police lied to her (told her his friend came to the lineup to confuse her) and coerced her to her identification? Absolutely. But the fact remains she had a choice not move forward in trial to convict him, she had a choice to rethink and question that she was unsuccessful a few times in picking him out of a lineup. She had a choice to reflect years later that the pieces didn’t fit and try to rectify the miscarriage of justice. Instead, she chose to profit from her story and his misery.

Mr. Broadwater had no choice in the matter. She and the police, acting in lockstep, ruined his whole fµck!ng life.

It took a producer all of a few days to know some there was some fuckshit— the scripts for the movie didn’t match the memoir (which I think was an attempt to not show the audience the glaring issues with her misidentification in the lineups).

If she were truly remosersful she would seek forgiveness directly from Mr. Broadwater, admit her role in the whole fiasco and broker a deal to compensate him fairly for using his name to write that book that she profited from for years while he suffered and lived in squalor and poverty.

Last edited:

Coke Diet

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,911 530 9
Alleybux
I will also grapple with the fact that my rapist will, in all likelihood, never be known, may have gone on to rape other women, and certainly will never serve the time in prison that Mr. Broadwater did.
But she doesn't mention how her eyewitness testimony put him in prison in the first place??! That also makes her culpable too.

Coke Diet

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,911 530 9
Alleybux
The only acceptable apology in this case is some of that money she made off her book.
And anything she made after Lucky which arguably jumpstarted her career... This includes the royalties from the Lovely Bones and any money she got from the movie adaptation.

lacefontwig

Forever rich and divinely protected
Reaction score
Reactions
29,107 1,143 301
Alleybux
I'm just finding out about the story.

Sue and beat that crooked b!tch's ass :emoji_astonished:

SerenityNow

READ THE OP FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING
Reaction score
Reactions
301,469 1,599 276
Alleybux
But she doesn't mention how her eyewitness testimony put him in prison in the first place??! That also makes her culpable too.
She’s not going too. Alice has built an entire career off this lie. She is not going to paint herself in a negative light. That “apology” was weak AF. She does not care how she hurt this man at all.

DryHumor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,991 790 424
Alleybux
Central Park Five vibes. If she did a rape kit, they should've had DNA evidence that would've cleared him.

Ayebihitsme

Just for giggles
Reaction score
Reactions
8,370 271 35
Alleybux
This is disgusting. How many black men and women have died and will die behind the lies of a yt woman? She is a victim but she must also recognize that she victimized someone too. At least she got to move on and profit. That man had just started his life and who knows how many days he will have on this Earth.

HopeAndSlop

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,126 1,087 2,761
Alleybux
And then after she's took 16 years of him she comes out "Ooops sorry"

1639136796806.png

Very common thing white women do

1639136654200.png

Many blk ppl in jail for crimes they didn't do, then later, after they have taken their youth, they give a fake apology.

1639136931826.png
1639136945327.png
1639136957694.png
1639137007123.png
1639137034363.png
1639137049049.png
1639137063174.png
1639137080632.png

Flan888

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,235 497 59
Alleybux
Do people really believe she did it on purpose? It was the job of the defense attorneys, jury, and judge to find the truth of the matter. Those are the people who failed him. The idea that a woman raped by a stranger is the villain here is frankly misogynist.
I read her book Lucky just last year. I'm not going to pretend that I knew then that she was lying. I just remember feeling that the story became so convoluted at some point that it left me with a disturbing feeling. I internally reasoned that it had something to do with my perspective as a Black woman, that I was a bit too caught up in the racism displayed by the police response. It stayed with me after I put the book down. She’s now been exposed by this producer Mucciante as someone that lied in her book about him having a prior criminal record. “He’d had zero criminal record and had never been in a lineup in his life. He had just gotten out of the marines.” There were other false claims that she made in her book as well. So, she is fully culpable and owes this man much more than an apology.

wedw87glo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,142 553 299
Alleybux
That bihh knew what she was doing I read elsewhere that the cops coached her to change her story but after reading these details ma’am please. She got to benefit from revenue from her books she needs to turn that over to this falsely accused man.

blacjac

winning
Reaction score
Reactions
81,243 3,012 1,542
Alleybux

Alice has issued a statement​

Alice Sebold
Alice Sebold
2 hours ago·2 min read

This bish. That statement is the biggest non-apology I've ever seen:

"what you have been through" - don't you mean what YOU put him through?

"the life you could have led was unjustly robbed from you" - don't you mean YOU robbed him of his life?

"no apology can change what happened to you" - don't you mean what YOU did to him?

"you and your family will be granted the time and privacy to heal" - translation: you want him to fade quietly into the sunset

"I chose to put my faith in the American legal system" - don't you mean you chose to use your white privilege in a system that values white and demonizes black?

"another young Black man brutalized by our flawed legal system" - don't you mean brutalized by YOU?

"sorry for what was done to him" - don't you mean for what YOU did to him?

"how this could have happened" - this is how it happened: you told the police he raped you.

"a system that sent an innocent man to jail" - no bish, YOU sent an innocent man to jail

She can take her apology and shove it. She needs to give him all the proceeds she made off her book.