Couples' Therapy Season 2 on Showtime Premieres Tonite

oops

lady who lunches
Reaction score
Reactions
48,534 992 598
Alleybux
@Nana Peazant

Could you please tag the good folks? :beauty It's on at 10pm tonight, but I'm gonna watch it on Demand tomorrow then post. Watching a murder mystery on HBO instead.

oops

lady who lunches
Reaction score
Reactions
48,534 992 598
Alleybux
Sorry for the apostrophe.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux
Just watched season 1. Very interesting. I wonder if Alan and Evelyn(?) made it. I was hoping they had a breakthrough at the end of their sessions, but I could see them being one of those couples doomed to covid.

Season two coming Sunday. I was hoping to see the Black gay couple, but they seemed to be relegated to b-roll in the covid special.

Couples Therapy: Couples Therapy Season 2 Official Trailer | SHOWTIME

Can't wait for Robot & Ghost

Given that Dr. G specializes in identity dysmorphia and xesual orientation identity Black gay couples may be there to work out more than relationship issues and deep dive to work on xes, gender and identity. Stuff they don't want on tv. Or they may fear of the impact on their families and careers.

Think about the transitions of Lauren & Sam. Sam is self-employed and if Lauren encounters any discrimination ACLU would love to take up her case to create more laws for transgendered people.

Thank you for making the thread and tagging me @oops!! Thank you for posting the trailer @kelleh rollin. We don't see much of some couples because they didn't give consent. Some couples stop allowing filming during their sessions. Others only consent to some sessions and not others even if they were taped.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux
I watched on demand a little while ago. Look forward to y’all’s comments on the Jewish couple. :sidefrown
Michal and Michael have a deep friendship at least. It's interesting seeing their dynamic. What do you think of Dr. Orna's 30 minutes of pleasant conversation and 30 minutes of business homework?

Holographic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
115,702 1,710 626
Alleybux
robot & ghost: why did she keep the baby? she's a single mother with an intrusive f-ck buddy roommate child. as if ghost is a third needy person hanging off of her. she only has the capacity to be a mother, not a lover. it seems like she's bringing and holding on to what went wrong with her previous relationship. her walls are built up from the unresolved pain from her eldest child's father. i'm glad dr. orna held ghost accountable for not fully listening to her. let him tell it, he is a victim and robot's just a retaliating bully. this is why you gotta get to know someone before having a baby with them. but it says a lot that they both chose to have a child without getting to know each other well enough.

m&m: he comes off so apathetic. he doesn't care what she does. he married his mother - a woman he knew would take care of him; she married a child - a man she could nag, who lowkey sees her frustration and emotional outbursts as pure entertainment. she is exhausted. he's waiting for her to pull the trigger - find a wealthy orthodox jewish man who wants to take care of her and for her to be a SAHM. yeah, they need to re-learn how to communicate, but there's more to it. she wants what he can't give her anymore. she grew up and he didn't. i want her to brush her hair.

g&m: mark has a big personality. he dominates the relationship. it's hard being in love with an addict. you're forced into a caregiver role and almost lose yourself in their addiction. and, addiction changes a person. they definitely will need to recalibrate their relationship, if they genuinely want it to work. it seems too soon for mark to be in a relationship. these two seem enmeshed. they should break up for a while because codependency - replacing alcohol with a person - can be destructive.

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,683 1,522 996
Alleybux
Thanks for the tag @Nana Peazant!
I watched the 1st season on a trial period and then decided not to subscribe to Showtime. Let me see if I can find it on Amazon.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux
robot & ghost: why did she keep the baby? she's a single mother with an intrusive f-ck buddy roommate child. as if ghost is a third needy person hanging off of her. she only has the capacity to be a mother, not a lover. it seems like she's bringing and holding on to what went wrong with her previous relationship. her walls are built up from the unresolved pain from her eldest child's father. i'm glad dr. orna held ghost accountable for not fully listening to her. let him tell it, he is a victim and robot's just a retaliating bully. this is why you gotta get to know someone before having a baby with them. but it says a lot that they both chose to have a child without getting to know each other well enough.
I wonder why Robot chose not to use birth control as a single mother. It's clear Ghost was just casual xes to her. Robot expressed the source of her frustration. She's a single woman living like a married woman and that's not the life she wanted for herself. She wants her freedom, independence and feels like Ghost just adds more responsibilities to her plate, like a third child. Ghost likes that she feels trapped because to him that means she won't leave him.

m&m: he comes off so apathetic. he doesn't care what she does. he married his mother - a woman he knew would take care of him; she married a child - a man she could nag, who lowkey sees her frustration and emotional outbursts as pure entertainment. she is exhausted. he's waiting for her to pull the trigger - find a wealthy orthodox jewish man who wants to take care of her and for her to be a SAHM. yeah, they need to re-learn how to communicate, but there's more to it. she wants what he can't give her anymore. she grew up and he didn't. i want her to brush her hair.
It seemed like 10 years ago when they first married, they were both fun loving people brought together by their shared faith. Ten years later Michal matured into becoming a wife, mother and most importantly Family Manager. Other than working, Michael is just along for the ride. That leaves a huge mental load for Michal to manage AND work AND raise their child AND trying to conceive. She's overwhelmed. His apathy hurts her feelings. It trips me out that Michal shares some of the same personality traits as her namesake.
g&m: mark has a big personality. he dominates the relationship. it's hard being in love with an addict. you're forced into a caregiver role and almost lose yourself in their addiction. and, addiction changes a person. they definitely will need to recalibrate their relationship, if they genuinely want it to work. it seems too soon for mark to be in a relationship. these two seem enmeshed. they should break up for a while because codependency - replacing alcohol with a person - can be destructive.
The Caretaker-Addict dynamic is their foundation. I wonder if they'll be able to uproot that and replace it with a healthy way to relate to each other. Oddly enough I was actually on the recovering addict's side about the weekend getaway. To me, it seems too soon for his sobriety. If anything, they should go away together to do some 'relationship work.' I can already tell that the dancer is used to having a salon, a group of friends always around and focusing on working on this relationship - without others around or involved - may be too much interpersonal work for him.

Are we missing a couple?

Holographic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
115,702 1,710 626
Alleybux
I wonder why Robot chose not to use birth control as a single mother. It's clear Ghost was just casual xes to her. Robot expressed the source of her frustration. She's a single woman living like a married woman and that's not the life she wanted for herself. She wants her freedom, independence and feels like Ghost just adds more responsibilities to her plate, like a third child. Ghost likes that she feels trapped because to him that means she won't leave him.

well, let's also wonder why they both didn't use contraceptives before sleeping with each other. i understand her frustration, but shutting down and attacking back, doesn't set boundaries with this man. i think what shocked her was his insistence to live with her in order to be close to their son. he uses their child to trap her into a relationship with him, breaking her down slowly so that he has control and feels like The Man of the House. he is forcing a relationship with her and i don't like that.

one of the things i hope for robot is her to not lose herself in her frustration and resentment. i want her to liberate herself from being a robot and realize that she has more agency than she realizes. it feels like a taming of the shrew situation; however, the shrew doesn't need to be tamed, she needs to be freed. she needs to kick him out.

i don't think he gets that you can successfully co-parent without being in a romantic relationship with the mother. now, he may be doing this because of how he was raised, but since he wants to do it the "right" way, why didn't he do it respectfully - xes with protection, taking the time to get to know the woman, and then properly family plan together? i'm not here for his "nice guy" act.

their son is a cutie pie, though.

It trips me out that Michal shares some of the same personality traits as her namesake.

lol! i was thinking the same thing. she's not ready to leave yet - not ready to chose someone else yet. when she becomes apathetic, that is when she will start planning her exit. but i wonder if family, namely mothers or both parents of either person, are pressuring her to stay and work it out. the stigma of divorce in their community can be great enough to make a woman stay in an unhealthy relationship.

I can already tell that the dancer is used to having a salon, a group of friends always around and focusing on working on this relationship - without others around or involved - may be too much interpersonal work for him.

oh yes! yes! he lives life on stage. everything is a production, and he's the director. you gotta act a certain way, fulfill your purpose for him. mark's purpose has changed and gio doesn't have a new role for him. inexplicably, he's shown he dislikes the change. if you have lived that way for a while, or all your life, it's difficult to turn it off and honor your own privacy. there is no delineation between private and public. i also sense he likes the attention he receives from being with an addict. he, himself, formed an identity from being in a relationship with an addict.

mark is a person, not a character. they want things to go back to normal, but their "normal" as his alcoholism. you don't need an audience to heal your relationship. your relationship is not a show for others. it doesn't have to be a greek tragedy.

there were only three couples shown thus far.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux
well, let's also wonder why they both didn't use contraceptives before sleeping with each other. i understand her frustration, but shutting down and attacking back, doesn't set boundaries with this man. i think what shocked her was his insistence to live with her in order to be close to their son. he uses their child to trap her into a relationship with him, breaking her down slowly so that he has control and feels like The Man of the House. he is forcing a relationship with her and i don't like that.
Oh I know why Ghost didn't use a condom. A tale as old as hobosexual time. He planned this so he could move in her place and get a wife & ready-made family without having to be a husband.

one of the things i hope for robot is her to not lose herself in her frustration and resentment. i want her to liberate herself from being a robot and realize that she has more agency than she realizes. it feels like a taming of the shrew situation; however, the shrew doesn't need to be tamed, she needs to be freed. she needs to kick him out.

i don't think he gets that you can successfully co-parent without being in a romantic relationship with the mother. now, he may be doing this because of how he was raised, but since he wants to do it the "right" way, why didn't he do it respectfully - xes with protection, taking the time to get to know the woman, and then properly family plan together? i'm not here for his "nice guy" act.

their son is a cutie pie, though.
He calculated that she wouldn't use protection. He's very transparent. Robot understands Ghost's scheme but feels trapped. She stopped the xes so she's no longer under his spell. These sessions may be her exit plan.
lol! i was thinking the same thing. she's not ready to leave yet - not ready to chose someone else yet. when she becomes apathetic, that is when she will start planning her exit. but i wonder if family, namely mothers or both parents of either person, are pressuring her to stay and work it out. the stigma of divorce in their community can be great enough to make a woman stay in an unhealthy relationship.
I don't think Michal & Michael will divorce. Their faith prevents that. They will be doing this same cycle 40 years from now if they can't learn new behaviors but they won't divorce. It will interesting to figure out what Michael fears about maturation. It seems like he fears that being 'adult' means less fun.

oh yes! yes! he lives life on stage. everything is a production, and he's the director. you gotta act a certain way, fulfill your purpose for him. mark's purpose has changed and gio doesn't have a new role for him. inexplicably, he's shown he dislikes the change. if you have lived that way for a while, or all your life, it's difficult to turn it off and honor your own privacy. there is no delineation between private and public. i also sense he likes the attention he receives from being with an addict. he, himself, formed an identity from being in a relationship with an addict.

mark is a person, not a character. they want things to go back to normal, but their "normal" as his alcoholism. you don't need an audience to heal your relationship. your relationship is not a show for others. it doesn't have to be a greek tragedy.
I definitely think Gio used being a caretaker to Mark as his identity. I'm glad you picked up on that. And he probably relished in that identity when he was around friends gossiping about Mark. :disdain Sad to say but I think Mark is realizing that even though he had his own issue with addiction, Gio is immature.

Mark's battle with addiction hasn't been kept private within the confines of their relationship because it gave Gio a tragic storyline or Greek tragedy. Something to discuss rather than the high art he pretends to be into. Which is why Gio wants to parade Mark around to his friends on the weekend getaway. "See he's so much better!!!" Instead of working on his intimacy with Mark. Gio is as vacant as a vampire. Living for the approval of others like a lost preteen.

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,683 1,522 996
Alleybux
I’ve only see episode 1 so far - Showtime posted the full episode on YouTube. It sounds like you all are further along.

My initial impressions:

Re: Robot - wtf? So she hooked up with him for a couple months, got pregnant, he insisted that they live together, she didn’t want that, but allowed him to move in and obv decided to keep the baby!?! And now they’re sleeping in separate rooms and she doesn’t want anything to do with him?! Why even bother wasting money on therapy? Some good ole common sense is all that’s needed here. I don’t condone using abortion as a form of birth control but damn - why keep the baby even? When you’re already a single mother? People really like drama in their lives! I can’t be invested in this much stupidity! Only a hobosexual would insist on an instant family!

Michal and Michael - Looks like the overfunctioner-underfunctioner dance! It’s a tricky one! Ask me how I know? Michal has to recognize that doing the most is what’s making her angry and resentful. That’s something only she can control! She has to lean back and use the under functioning leverage to get him to pick up the slack! It’s an extremely difficult impulse to break! He’s relaxed because he knows she’s doing all the worrying/stressing/planning for the whole block!! The more stressed she is, the more relaxed he gets. That’s why he’s laughing and chilling. I feel her pain! He’s definitely benefiting from the dynamic and if she stops doing it all he would have to step up and that will bring another host of issues to their dynamic. He will get resentful if she stops! He said it himself - it’s useful for him.

oops

lady who lunches
Reaction score
Reactions
48,534 992 598
Alleybux
The Jewish couple is sad. She's too much for him, but I hope he steps it up financially.

Holographic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
115,702 1,710 626
Alleybux
Oh I know why Ghost didn't use a condom. A tale as old as hobosexual time. He planned this so he could move in her place and get a wife & ready-made family without having to be a husband.

i re-read this so many times. each times it grinds my gears. i'm aware of hobosexual behavior, such as using some sad excuse to slip and slide into a woman's home to the point of squatting, but when it comes to children, that is sinister. then the pandemic on top of that? oh my.

ghost is a failed man who is also a parasite. reproductive abuse smh.

i'm rooting for robot. i want her to find her peace and keep it!

yeah, that's another good point about m&m - i do want to know what his is problem, but i wonder if she gets to a her breaking point, will they live in separate homes and just be friends that are married? i don't see them sharing the same space if he can't pull his weight.

And he probably relished in that identity when he was around friends gossiping about Mark. :disdain

oooh i got gio's number. now that the stupor haze is gone, mark is gonna have a rude awakening. mark was addicted to alcohol and gio is addicted to attention. i wonder how gio was raised. being at the center of attention is in his script somewhere.

they both violated the relationship. however, i loathe people who use other people's or their connection to other people's personal issues as public fodder for attention and adoration. someone like gio is not conducive for mark's healing and sobriety. his neediness and controlling nature may push him to drink again.

kelleh rollin

Snacktress
Reaction score
Reactions
29,625 222 33
Alleybux
Michal and Michael have a deep friendship at least. It's interesting seeing their dynamic. What do you think of Dr. Orna's 30 minutes of pleasant conversation and 30 minutes of business homework?

giphy.gif

I couldn't see either of them committing to that. Whew, these two are a lot. Their interactions set my teeth on edge and I feel for their children who live in this chaos.

Robo and Hobo just make me sad.

inasundress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,814 6,801 5,311
Alleybux
Thank you for making the thread and tagging me @oops!! Thank you for posting the trailer @kelleh rollin. We don't see much of some couples because they didn't give consent. Some couples stop allowing filming during their sessions. Others only consent to some sessions and not others even if they were taped.

No, it doesn't work like that for this show. They are signed up as "participants," not clients, because legally therapy has an in-built patient-doctor confidentiality - they could not legally film or air any of these sessions if it were a real doctor-patient arrangement. This is being filmed as a reality show and they are reality show participants, it just allows them to have access to a real, credentialed and educated therapist.

Wasn't she already a single mom when she met him? I thought they said she already had a child before they got pregnant.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux
When you’re already a single mother?
Robot is a single mother but Ghost is trying to get her not to identify as one. It's the tricky rouse of hobosexualism. Showtime showed 2 episodes back to back.

i'm rooting for robot. i want her to find her peace and keep it!
Definitely think Robot will ask him to leave her home. He adds nothing to her life. She's had her fill and wants peace.
, will they live in separate homes
Definitely think Michal should lean back @Shikorina. Technically they have to still live together under Othodox Judaism but I can definitely see them having a separate bedrooms life if Michael doesn't kick into high gear. Michal probably has their whole life planned and Michael doesn't even care what's for dinner.

gio is addicted to attention
And now that Mark is sober he can see Gio's addiction clearly. But he can't address it because Gio is so combative.
his neediness and controlling nature may push him to drink again.
Mark is on his way out. He feels loyalty to Gio for helping him through his dark night of the soul but I don't see him staying in this dynamic for much longer.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux
giphy.gif

I couldn't see either of them committing to that. Whew, these two are a lot. Their interactions set my teeth on edge and I feel for their children who live in this chaos.

Robo and Hobo just make me sad.
Michael will say that he wouldn't do the business talk because it was 'too much' after work and he wanted to just live in la la land of Netflix & No Bills.

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,683 1,522 996
Alleybux
Michal reminds me of an old co-worker. Mid-20s. When I met her she had been dating the man that was to become her husband for several years. Since college, through 3 years of graduate school and in the first couple years of her career. I think they may have broken up once or twice. It was very clear she was the pursuer. He was Jewish, she wasn’t. That may have been the reason for the break up at one point.

In any case she converted to Judaism with the expectation that an engagement would soon follow. And it did. He was just starting out a career in a highly specialized field and has to go where the work/internship was so their relationship was mainly long distance. So she was alone all the time. But never seemed to complain - she had a single-minded attitude about it. When I finally met him, I was underwhelmed. He was just some dude - nothing special. He seemed a bit boyish even.

Anyway, she practically ran down the aisle at her wedding. A few months into the marriage and of course he has to go off to another state for work/internship - back to long distance. It seemed like this work instability was going to continue for a while. When he was home in her condo, all of a sudden she was miserable. Personalities just didn’t match. She never complained before the wedding but now she was overwhelmed with their differences. A few times they tried to triangulate me and would get into it at happy hours. I finally lost touch with her but I know she had a baby a couple years later.

I just wanted to scream at her “you didn’t know who he was???” “Why were you so desperate to marry this man?” I think there are certain very smart, capable type A women who have these blind spots or delusions about themselves and their relationships. And ultimately, about how much they can control in life!

Because there is no way Michael was some go-getter type when she was dating him. I guarantee Michal was the aggressor-pursuer in the dating phase. Made most of the decisions and just generally moved things forward like my old co-worker. Now she’s tired!! And she wants him to switch roles with her. It just doesn’t work that way!

Last edited:

orchidsinyellow

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
46,090 953 165
Alleybux
I'm watching season 2. I think I enjoyed season 1 better. There was a bit more... color. Anyway, surprisingly I'm the most interested in Gio and Matt. Matt is going to relapse... He needs individual therapy as well. I like him and Gio but I don't think they will make it. Gio seems enormously annoyed with Matt. What happened to the puerto rican woman and black guy from season 1. She was needy as hell!

orchidsinyellow

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
46,090 953 165
Alleybux
Am I the only one that gets drinking vibes from the therapist? She seems like she can put some bottles of wine away.

inasundress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,814 6,801 5,311
Alleybux
I'm watching season 2. I think I enjoyed season 1 better. There was a bit more... color. Anyway, surprisingly I'm the most interested in Gio and Matt. Matt is going to relapse... He needs individual therapy as well. I like him and Gio but I don't think they will make it. Gio seems enormously annoyed with Matt. What happened to the puerto rican woman and black guy from season 1. She was needy as hell!

Yeah I don't like any of these couples and I probably won't even watch this season. They made the episodes an hour long with content that people want to watch less.

Someone ping me if they update on Annie and Mau.

kelleh rollin

Snacktress
Reaction score
Reactions
29,625 222 33
Alleybux
Michal reminds me of an old co-worker. Mid-20s. When I met her she had been dating the man that was to become her husband for several years. Since college, through 3 years of graduate school and in the first couple years of her career. I think they may have broken up once or twice. It was very clear she was the pursuer. He was Jewish, she wasn’t. That may have been the reason for the break up at one point.

In any case she converted to Judaism with the expectation that an engagement would soon follow. And it did. He was just starting out a career in a highly specialized field and has to go where the work/internship was so their relationship was mainly long distance. So she was alone all the time. But never seemed to complain - she had a single-minded attitude about it. When I finally met him, I was underwhelmed. He was just some dude - nothing special. He seemed a bit boyish even.

Anyway, she practically ran down the aisle at her wedding. A few months into the marriage and of course he has to go off to another state for work/internship - back to long distance. It seemed like this work instability was going to continue for a while. When he was home in her condo, all of a sudden she was miserable. Personalities just didn’t match. She never complained before the wedding but now she was overwhelmed with their differences. A few times they tried to triangulate me and would get into it at happy hours. I finally lost touch with her but I know she had a baby a couple years later.

I just wanted to scream at her “you didn’t know who he was???” “Why were you so desperate to marry this man?” I think there are certain very smart, capable type A women who have these blind spots or delusions about themselves and their relationships. And ultimately, about how much they can control in life!

Because there is no way Michael was some go-getter type when she was dating him. I guarantee Michal was the aggressor-pursuer in the dating phase. Made most of the decisions and just generally moved things forward like my old co-worker. Now she’s tired!! And she wants him to switch roles with her. It just doesn’t work that way!

This is a really interesting assessment. She is a driver and clearly had a plan for who she needed him to be, so she could be who she wanted to be. He wasn't invested in her plan, he just didn’t seem to care to dissent. It made me think of the stereotype of Jewish mothers as nags who guilt their children their entire lives. The fury and the anxiety from her...I don’t understand.

Gianni and Matt are compelling. I feel bad for Gianni because he seems to expect a lot from someone who is just getting their life back on track. Matt is in survival mode. I feel a lot of compassion for him. Gianni, too.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,946 5,556 1,100
Alleybux
Yeah I don't like any of these couples and I probably won't even watch this season. They made the episodes an hour long with content that people want to watch less.

Someone ping me if they update on Annie and Mau.
Are they an hour long? Because I am only getting 30 minute segments on Showtime.

Holographic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
115,702 1,710 626
Alleybux
m&m: it was a good idea for michael to make the chart. what comes off as apathy, is actually him disengaging because of the fear of doing something to trigger her and further set her off. i was surprised that he said he feared her threatening divorce. @Shikorina was right; all michal had to do was match his energy and it worked! she finally calmed down. but it still seems like she gets off on throwing a tantrum because at the end of the day, he's still not doing enough to satisfy her.

their children are... off the chain. i would not have my child standing and dancing on the counter like that no ma'am.

i just knew it. i kept thinking that she was looking weird in that stripped shirt and lo and behold, she's pregnant! so in between her tantrums, they were knocking boots. this pregnancy is gonna further exacerbate their relationship. i wish her happiness did not depend on her husband.

robot & ghost: is robot scared she's starting to fall in love with ghost? or is it a dilemma of trying to not push away a govnt worker too far into breakup territory? i am not surprised she attacked him for his weight. and i'm not surprised he wore a shirt the few times they had xes. there is no exit plan until she is able to work again, so it seems like she's trying to re-adjust to the circumstances and try to give our favorite hobosexual a real chance at a relationship with her. it still feels 'off' to me. i was disappointed when he left the table to get their son while she was finally crying and being vulnerable for the first time. she needed his full attention in that moment. and he did that twice, bringing their son over into their session. i find that inappropriate. don't get the baby involved or use him as a buffer.

he sent her a text message about not having enough xes. so annoying. she had every right to withhold and not immediately respond. i don't think she truly wants to be in that relationship. she had no choice because he's the one with a job. a survival situation.

gio & matt: i kept calling matt, mark. he looks like a mark. they really are not good for each other. knocking back multiple bottles of wine a night while living with a recovering alcoholic? yikes. i'm glad gio was able to stop doing that, but it says a lot her even started in the first place. he needs healthier coping mechanisms. they are just toooooo enmeshed. gio gave up opportunities, gave up seeing his family because of matt's unfounded fears? or did gio cheat in the past, hence matt being on edge about there being distance between them? there has to be a backstory to the distrust. they need space - healthy individual space away from each other. at this point, matt is putting himself in between gio and his family, and that's not right. ultimatums for visiting family? boy bye. since it is such a big deal, i wonder why matt can't go with him to visit his family, go see where he's from, get to know gianni's family? or is that making things 'too real' and too much to handle?

they want more from each other than the other can give. what also alarmed me was matt saying he only got sober for gianni. he didn't get sober for himself first, so, as i said, he replaced alcohol with gianni. he can only function if gianni is there. that is dysfunctional and detrimental to his ongoing sobriety. they both don't know how to be alone. they don't have healthy boundaries. too much co-dependence.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,946 5,556 1,100
Alleybux
i don't think she truly wants to be in that relationship. she had no choice because he's the one with a job. a survival situation.
This right here. Robot can't stand Dru (at least that's the vibe I am getting) but doesn't know how to get him to leave (he reminds me of champagne Vinny on MAFS-soft and whiny). I also get the vibe that there is something more going on with her as far as relationships go. He might not be enough for her- if you know what I mean.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,946 5,556 1,100
Alleybux
gio & matt: i kept calling matt, mark. he looks like a mark. they really are not good for each other. knocking back multiple bottles of wine a night while living with a recovering alcoholic? yikes. i'm glad gio was able to stop doing that, but it says a lot her even started in the first place. he needs healthier coping mechanisms. they are just toooooo enmeshed. gio gave up opportunities, gave up seeing his family because of matt's unfounded fears? or did gio cheat in the past, hence matt being on edge about there being distance between them? there has to be a backstory to the distrust. they need space - healthy individual space away from each other. at this point, matt is putting himself in between gio and his family, and that's not right. ultimatums for visiting family? boy bye. since it is such a big deal, i wonder why matt can't go with him to visit his family, go see where he's from, get to know gianni's family? or is that making things 'too real' and too much to handle?
But didn't Gianni also say that he can't be alone? That he gets anxiety if he has to sleep alone? So doesn't that put Matt in a caretaker role also? They are thoroughly enmeshed and I don't see either of them walking away from the relationship. Even if it doesn't get any better.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,946 5,556 1,100
Alleybux
I watched on demand a little while ago. Look forward to y’all’s comments on the Jewish couple. :sidefrown
Michal needs a sitcom of her own. She is off the charts with her yelling and screaming. Her husband just shrinks into the corner when she does that. But I love how the experiment of her taking two hours off worked. He automatically picked up the slack. A small victory for the family but I don't know if I see any growth in their marriage. Her husband is too passive and lacks passion.

Holographic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
115,702 1,710 626
Alleybux
But didn't Gianni also say that he can't be alone? That he gets anxiety if he has to sleep alone? So doesn't that put Matt in a caretaker role also? They are thoroughly enmeshed and I don't see either of them walking away from the relationship. Even if it doesn't get any better.

yes it does. they are each other's caregiver. they enable each other's issues. gianni (well, both of them) needs to do some individual therapy, specifically on leaving home at 14 for his career. he's had separation anxiety for over half his life, so no wonder he's addicted to attention and scared of being alone. he lost his innocence once he left his family, and that void, that pain is presenting itself in a dysfunctional way, starting with his attraction and willingness to be in a relationship with an alcoholic.

i am also curious about matt's history, what may have leant to his predilection for alcohol. his fear is losing the reason he's sober - he fears losing gianni. he feels that if gianni isn't there, he can't remain on the straight and narrow. he needs to decrease his need for gianni as his crutch and use himself as his motivation, not another person. he put himself in such a precarious position through needing someone else to inspire his sobriety.

as for robot - maybe she is questioning her sexuality. if she is, i know for certain there is a woman out there in nyc with her sh-t together - a good job and home - that would not mind loving on her and helping to take care of her children.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,946 5,556 1,100
Alleybux
as for robot - maybe she is questioning her sexuality. if she is, i know for certain there is a woman out there in nyc with her sh-t together - a good job and home - that would not mind loving on her and helping to take care of her children.
I do think she is questioning it. I don't know why I get those vibes. Her tears are of confusion and frustration- not of "I am afraid of loving him and losing myself". She has not shown love or affection for him.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,946 5,556 1,100
Alleybux
i am also curious about matt's history, what may have leant to his predilection for alcohol. his fear is losing the reason he's sober - he fears losing gianni. he feels that if gianni isn't there, he can't remain on the straight and narrow. he needs to decrease his need for gianni as his crutch and use himself as his motivation, not another person. he put himself in such a precarious position through needing someone else to inspire his sobriety.
As for Matt's alcoholism, he does go into his childhood. You may not have seen the episode yet so I won't spoil it for you. But I can say that it seems that he treats the addiction like it is a best friend (reliable, unconditionally loving, unchanging, always there, etc.). Another human being (Gio) for example, can leave you, hurt you, etc.

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,683 1,522 996
Alleybux
I refuse to pay for another streaming subscription so I’m just going off of what you all saying.

Michal hysterics I think is a cry for help. A cry to be heard and taken care of. It’s the vicious cycle of an over-functioner. You go through life feeling like you can’t rely on anyone but yourself and then you get exhausted over time and become angry and resentful. She may be reaching a boiling point. She chose him so she will have to reckon with that choice and figure out a way to be OK with his laissez-fairs attitude. His attitude probably also triggers her. He makes her feel unworthy of his efforts and attention. It’s a two way street. Smh. She needs solo therapy before she can do couples counseling I think.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,650 13,178 1,858
Alleybux
I have to catch up on last night's two episodes after I finish Stowaway. The Stay-At-Home Sons found out about our show and turned it into a trending thread.

Luckily we can still discuss the real issues here! Just a quick scan through that megathread, it's interesting how feminist thought is spreading amongst Black women.