Quantcast

Covid and maladaptive daydreaming

yeet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,241 1,698 945
Alleybux
Does anyone else feel like their maladaptive daydreaming has gotten worse since Covid? Like all I do is stay in my house and come up with fake scenarios and storylines. (I’m unemployed and doing online school so really don’t go anywhere)

Now that we’re in a pandemic I daydream about a world pre Covid (along with my usual fake scenarios). My daydreaming has gotten so bad that I walked into Walmart and I forgot Covid even existed. I was confused why people were wearing masks. My confusion only lasted about 15 seconds before I snapped out of it but still....I feel like I’m going crazy

Last edited:

D E L E T E

DELETE ACCOUNT
Reaction score
Reactions
86,235 6,032 1,872
Alleybux
Is there anything you can do to try to ground yourself?

Create little rituals.

Meditate when you wake up in the morning, at noon, and before bed. Set alarms on your phone. Meditation is good to clear your mind.

Yoga strengthens the mind-body link.

You should go out in the real world once or twice a day, for a walk not just to run errands. If you daydream during your walks too you might think about joining a gym if they're open by you. Cardio will release endorphins that keep you present and motivated.

Try to set a goal of talking to at least one friend per day, having a real conversation.

I have a few questions for you:

How are you doing in your schooling with all this?

Did you have a job before covid?

What do you daydream about? Are they fantasies of power, alternate world where covid doesn't exist, crushes?

What is your living arrangement?

What else has been going on with all this?

Do you think it would help if you got a job and eased out of quarantine?

yeet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,241 1,698 945
Alleybux
Is there anything you can do to try to ground yourself?

Create little rituals.

Meditate when you wake up in the morning, at noon, and before bed. Set alarms on your phone. Meditation is good to clear your mind.

Yoga strengthens the mind-body link.

You should go out in the real world once or twice a day, for a walk not just to run errands. If you daydream during your walks too you might think about joining a gym if they're open by you. Cardio will release endorphins that keep you present and motivated.

Try to set a goal of talking to at least one friend per day, having a real conversation.

I have a few questions for you:

How are you doing in your schooling with all this?

Did you have a job before covid?

What do you daydream about? Are they fantasies of power, alternate world where covid doesn't exist, crushes?

What is your living arrangement?

What else has been going on with all this?

Do you think it would help if you got a job and eased out of quarantine?
School is kinda hard for me because I have problems focusing. I get distracted easily.

no I didn’t have a job before Covid. I mostly just went to school and then came back home. I live with my parents

my daydreaming usually consists of me being a celebrity (lol), alternative worlds, crushes, etc. just about anything to take my mind off reality. I’ve been maladaptive daydreaming since middle school (I was really lonely and depressed) but now I feel like it’s interfering with my real life.

I get depressed about the state of the world, ya know? I feel like the worlds that I create in my mind are better

I do think getting a job would distract me and take my mind off things. Thank you for replying❤️

Checkitout

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,838 799 288
Alleybux
School is kinda hard for me because I have problems focusing. I get distracted easily.

no I didn’t have a job before Covid. I mostly just went to school and then came back home. I live with my parents

my daydreaming usually consists of me being a celebrity (lol), alternative worlds, crushes, etc. just about anything to take my mind off reality. I’ve been maladaptive daydreaming since middle school (I was really lonely and depressed) but now I feel like it’s interfering with my real life.

I get depressed about the state of the world, ya know? I feel like the worlds that I create in my mind are better

I do think getting a job would distract me and take my mind off things. Thank you for replying❤️
Same exact thing here, sis. Middle school was like a war zone for me. My therapist told me on the sly (and off the record as a person and not a licensed clinician) that she’s surprised I made it out what I went through without any major damage or substance abuse problems. I was told I was ugly every day in school and a lot of the time at home, too. So surprise, surprise my mind retreated within itself and created a fantasy world in which I am beautiful and desired... by all lol. Therapy helps a lot (I know you’re not working so you may not be able to afford it), I can recommend really great books to help ground you. Yoga and meditation is really good for being present. All in all try to remember where you are and what time of the day it is when you do this. It’ll help keep track of your daydreams and when you see how much time it’s been, you can assess things more clearly... like is this worth it?

Also.. whatever you are daydreaming about, probably is what you lack... like for me it’s about being desirable but that’s because as a child I was made to believe I was unlovable and ugly. I also MDD about being a celebrity and that’s because none of my talents were taken seriously by my parents and I always have been wanting to be recognized for my creative endeavors. It’s on your mind for a reason. I’m not gonna go incog so you can message me if you’d like to talk or for book recs if you wish.

Keep ya head up!