COVID-Era Economy: Investing + Swing Trading

PROV0CATEUR

Flyin Air Bronco Like Diddy
Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
@msellie

I’ve really lost interest in the market over the last several months. My daughter keeps me busy these days and I’m exhausted. There’s too much money to be made, so I’ve been playing stocks that I know pretty well and setting limit orders. Candidly, the only way I can participate. Watching the market daily is too time consuming. This thread has also died and the others just don’t interest me.

Current Plays - Friday:

- $BOXL: 5,000 shares @ $1.94; limits set @ $2.46, $3.00

- $KERN: 500 shares @ $3.99; limit set @ $4.56

- Scooped up slices of a handful of dividend stocks (this is the only account I enjoy seeing in red - as the stock goes down I add another slice to bring my cost basis down), this is in my play portfolio - only holding these because I haven’t been trading much

- Shorted GME, bought these shares maybe a week before hand @ $169 (200 shares), sold @ 152, candidly, could have made the same amount of profit elsewhere but I was playing with a few indicators and saw the opportunity

- Invested in Humbls block 10 and block 3 etxs

Watchlist (haven’t done any extensive research) - $JG (this ones has gone on and off my radar for quite some time), $PCG, $VZ (VR partnership), $BRP, $INVH, $MUDS,

These are all long term. I don’t have positions in any

PrettyBoyFlizzy

I'm a GIRL, Damon!
Reaction score
Reactions
141,324 3,733 440
Alleybux
@msellie

I’ve really lost interest in the market over the last several months. My daughter keeps me busy these days and I’m exhausted. There’s too much money to be made, so I’ve been playing stocks that I know pretty well and setting limit orders. Candidly, the only way I can participate. Watching the market daily is too time consuming. This thread has also died and the others just don’t interest me.

Current Plays - Friday:

- Scooped up slices of a handful of dividend stocks (this is the only account I enjoy seeing in red - as the stock goes down I add another slice to bring my cost basis down), this is in my play portfolio - only holding these because I haven’t been trading much

- Shorted GME, bought these shares maybe a week before hand @ $169 (200 shares), sold @ 152, candidly, could have made the same amount of profit elsewhere but I was playing with a few indicators and saw the opportunity

Watchlist (haven’t done any extensive research) - $JG (this ones has gone on and off my radar for quite some time), $PCG, $VZ (VR partnership), $BRP, $INVH, $MUDS,

Thanks so much for taking time to leave more tips! I figured you were busy with your baby - it's a LOT of work, huh? lol I have a new-ish grandbaby and my life has changed so much in the last year cuz I keep her so my daughter can work. I barely have time for anything else so I already know it's crazy!

I appreciate your insight, going to look up these tickers. I've backed away a bit from my stocks because of all of the volatility. I still check several times a day anyway but outside of COIN I haven't made too many purchases. I'll jump on anything that looks promising but also waiting and hoping that some of my others will pop and just make me proud!

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
Thanks so much for taking time to leave more tips! I figured you were busy with your baby - it's a LOT of work, huh? lol I have a new-ish grandbaby and my life has changed so much in the last year cuz I keep her so my daughter can work. I barely have time for anything else so I already know it's crazy!

I appreciate your insight, going to look up these tickers. I've backed away a bit from my stocks because of all of the volatility. I still check several times a day anyway but outside of COIN I haven't made too many purchases. I'll jump on anything that looks promising but also waiting and hoping that some of my others will pop and just make me proud!
Yes, a lot of work! It’s crazy because she was so easy as a newborn but now she keeps me busy lol.

When I don’t know what to do, I do nothing so your strategy makes sense. Those tickers are what interest me, I don’t know much so LMK your thoughts. Hopefully I have time to research this week.

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,089 3,949 416
Alleybux
@msellie

Current Plays - Friday:

Thanks for the update. I’ve been thinking of trying the humble etx too.

didnt know about the vz vr partnership. Will make time to do research this week bc life has me running circles too.

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,089 3,949 416
Alleybux
@msellie hmbl was terrible today. Geesh.
Yes, it was, but Im patiently hanging in there.

im really curious to see what happens after this aapl announcement bc last time, great news was announced and it increased for a few minutes, then deeply plummeted into a nice buying opportunity. If it does drop this week, i will buy more apple.

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
Yes, it was, but Im patiently hanging in there.

im really curious to see what happens after this aapl announcement bc last time, great news was announced and it increased for a few minutes, then deeply plummeted into a nice buying opportunity. If it does drop this week, i will buy more apple.
This past week has felt like market manipulation. I’m just holding and averaging down for quick swings.

PaisleyPanda

Disoriented
Reaction score
Reactions
8,089 268 119
Alleybux
I was swinging Doge a bit, but I think I am done with that. They are all over the place with other coins and its too much to follow. I had been swinging GME, but now stuck with a bunch that I bought higher than it is selling at.

My day job is forcing me back to the office soon, so my daytrading time is about over. Im just hoping it picks up so I can sell off some of these reds and get back into the long term holds I did when I couldn't watch it as closely as I am now.

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,089 3,949 416
Alleybux
How’s everyone doing? This thread has slowed down a lot!
I trimmed my portfolio a few weeks ago and have just been hanging in there, holding during the weeks of volatility.

i sold a few shares of mvis today to collect some profits when it went slightly over $18. Will hold the rest and look forward to the upcoming catalysts.

really wanted to buy more when it went down to $10, but my cash took forever to settle.

How are you doing???

POROSITY

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,880 342 93
Alleybux
I trimmed my portfolio a few weeks ago and have just been hanging in there, holding during the weeks of volatility.

i sold a few shares of mvis today to collect some profits when it went slightly over $18. Will hold the rest and look forward to the upcoming catalysts.

really wanted to buy more when it went down to $10, but my cash took forever to settle.

How are you doing???
I’m also looking to trim down my portfolio. I have too many stocks and want want to sell some when I get back to green. I also need to get back in the habit of taking profits.

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,089 3,949 416
Alleybux
I’m also looking to trim down my portfolio. I have too many stocks and want want to sell some when I get back to green. I also need to get back in the habit of taking profits.
Yeah, i need my portfolio to be lean & as well balanced as possible b4 things slow down in May.

just remembered that fidelity just sent out a newsletter that mentioned how people sell in may...

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux

This baby took awf. At the time of the thread I was 170 shares in @ $1.69 - sold a LONG time ago for profit. I only have a handful of shares now. Even though I’m out I’m happy to see strong growth - it means my DD was on track (reviewing trends, portfolio, financials, catalysts) and I know many of you held.

sunset21

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
763 4
Alleybux

This baby took awf. At the time of the thread I was 170 shares in @ $1.69 - sold a LONG time ago for profit. I only have a handful of shares now. Even though I’m out I’m happy to see strong growth - it means my DD was on track (reviewing trends, portfolio, financials, catalysts) and I know many of you held.
I really appreciate you telling us about your stocks. It has been so helpful. I wish I would've been here last year to buy the ones you posted about when they were super cheap.

lurksome

Diamond Hands Playlist Curator & DJ
Reaction score
Reactions
21,037 234 48
Alleybux
Yeah, i need my portfolio to be lean & as well balanced as possible b4 things slow down in May.

just remembered that fidelity just sent out a newsletter that mentioned how people sell in may...

Yep. The old saying goes "Sell in May and go away."

iLadyGaga

Miss Marvel
Reaction score
Reactions
59,941 1,009 174
Alleybux

I wonder if I should pay the 5/21 option call? :whistle:

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
243A6B60-3C3B-4888-ABE8-DA022138AB59.jpeg

Decided to check on the portfolio this evening. I didn’t make any plays but this was a nice surprise.

This wasn’t an intricate play. I purchased last week (I think) when I saw BOXL undervalued... random tip but if you watch a stock and learn how that chart moves (ebbs and flows) over the course of a month or so you’ll know when is a good opportunity to purchase shares. Create your set limits and make money in your sleep...

For me - the name of the game is profit. I’m selling 600 shares to secure and then let the rest run for a bit. Since I don’t pay attention to the market much these days... I’ll probably create a limit order at $2.75 for the remaining shares.

Last edited:

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,089 3,949 416
Alleybux
So true! I watch for patterns now and it has benefitted me so much.
I was looking at both your boxl and kern plays and both have quickly moved towards your pt!

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
So true! I watch for patterns now and it has benefitted me so much.
I was looking at both your boxl and kern plays and both have quickly moved towards your pt!
When you know chart movement like the back of your hand you can make bank. That’s not even factoring in technical indicators since swinging is speculative. I’m happy you are making money!

I dumped all my BOXL in premarket! Didn’t even bother with a $2.75 limit. I also sold some IDEX for profit

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
Getting my hair done and saw a commercial for Phexxi. I’m done with bio plays but thought it was cool.

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
Ugh. So I saw another commercial for Phexxi.... the first one was a YouTube commercial... the second one was while I was watching oxygen. I’m taking a small position and dumping it into my investment account.

POROSITY

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,880 342 93
Alleybux
I’m glad I started a position on BRK.B two weeks ago. I want to add more shares before it hits $290.

lurksome

Reaction score
Reactions
21,037 234 48
Alleybux
I still haven't gotten rid of $BOXL yet.

I'm in the green, but I don't have a lot of shares. As good as they sound potentially, this moves slower than continental drift.

And, yes, consider this thread bumped. I bet quite a few here forgot about it.

edit to remove inaccurate close price info

Last edited:

lurksome

Reaction score
Reactions
21,037 234 48
Alleybux
I still haven't gotten rid of $BOXL yet.

I'm in the green, but I don't have a lot of shares. As good as they sound potentially, this moves slower than continental drift.

And, yes, consider this thread bumped. I bet quite a few here forgot about it.

Finally out at $2.50 - got in at $1.95.

Even a tiny profit is better than none, and especially better than a loss.

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
Finally out at $2.50 - got in at $1.95.

Even a tiny profit is better than none, and especially better than a loss.
A lot of their technology is positioned for in class instruction. They just released some great financials. I got in at 2.47 this week I think we can see some promising results.

The last 5 trading days have been great for me. I finished Friday up 17% Geesh!!

lurksome

Reaction score
Reactions
21,037 234 48
Alleybux
I may get back in on a dip down the road. I certainly needed to take profits anyway - it's something I forget to do quite often.

Meanwhile, more $AMC for me (bought during the Big Dipper yesterday ;) )!!!! :D

PROV0CATEUR

Reaction score
Reactions
348,188 17,338 6,654
Alleybux
Here are two stocks on my watch list. I will likely be entering within a week once I complete my research. I’m not treating these as swings for profit within the next few weeks.

$ARKO: One of the largest convenience store chains in the country will be acquiring new stores and recently extended a wholesale partnership. They’ve had something around 20 acquisitions since 2013 which is absolutely crazy. I have not yet had the opportunity to review their financials (I don’t expect them to look great due to the pandemic so I’ll also be taking a peak at financials pre-covid) but I think this might be a great opportunity. Convenience and Foodservice declined tremendously during the pandemic, with things opening back up - year over year growth will be amazing. Perfect timing with inflation. I anticipate a nice %increase this fall.

Furthermore a lot of CPG companies have changed strategy and will be bringing innovation to this area. I’m also curious what if any relationship the company has when it comes to gasoline, car washes, etc; I’ll continue to watch for quite some time before entering.

$HEXO: plays in the Canadian cannabis space. I’m not in but will be doing some research on cannabis in Canada. This stock has stuck out to me because it’s recently made two acquisitions that will increase its share tremendously. They also will be expanding into the US. The acquisition will give them a very interesting portfolio which excites me.

PaisleyPanda

Disoriented
Reaction score
Reactions
8,089 268 119
Alleybux
This thread has slowed way down. Im guessing the GME/AMC/Crypto madness has distracted everyone.

I'm dealing with moving chaos so haven't been daytrading as much. Plus, I go back to the office once a week and its too hard to watch the stocks from there. I'm only dabbling in my limited free time these days.

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,089 3,949 416
Alleybux
Anyone still in EVOFEM?
I sold it all months ago. I see the NYT did an article with the pros & cons of the gel.

BF04D4E2-F09E-4EA8-9430-76A2F863F919.jpeg

PaisleyPanda

Disoriented
Reaction score
Reactions
8,089 268 119
Alleybux
I think I saw a commercial for that the other night. Its great for women that more options are becoming available.

I'm slowly moving my holdings back to mostly blue chips as I transition back to the office (I cant watch things all day like I used to). Days like today all my blue chips are up and the rest is down makes me think I am making the right call on that.

alpirpeep

(gem)ini
Reaction score
Reactions
32,691 545 77
Alleybux
Here are two stocks on my watch list. I will likely be entering within a week once I complete my research. I’m not treating these as swings for profit within the next few weeks.

$ARKO: One of the largest convenience store chains in the country will be acquiring new stores and recently extended a wholesale partnership. They’ve had something around 20 acquisitions since 2013 which is absolutely crazy. I have not yet had the opportunity to review their financials (I don’t expect them to look great due to the pandemic so I’ll also be taking a peak at financials pre-covid) but I think this might be a great opportunity. Convenience and Foodservice declined tremendously during the pandemic, with things opening back up - year over year growth will be amazing. Perfect timing with inflation. I anticipate a nice %increase this fall.

Furthermore a lot of CPG companies have changed strategy and will be bringing innovation to this area. I’m also curious what if any relationship the company has when it comes to gasoline, car washes, etc; I’ll continue to watch for quite some time before entering.

$HEXO: plays in the Canadian cannabis space. I’m not in but will be doing some research on cannabis in Canada. This stock has stuck out to me because it’s recently made two acquisitions that will increase its share tremendously. They also will be expanding into the US. The acquisition will give them a very interesting portfolio which excites me.
Thank you for the tips! :heart: