Quantcast

Crying all the time

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,691 494,836 222,827
Alleybux
Last year I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder.
I recently agreed to get on antidepressant starting with 10 mg to now 20mg. I was asked if I would like to get on mood stabilizers but I declined.
I am now having spells where it seems like I am tearing up to crying over every little thing. I was wondering if someone else had this issue and how did you deal?
I am in therapy but I don't see my counselor that often due to so many patients, it's free now so I don't want to push the issue.
I just want to break free from this.

Shaylee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,926 1,304 696
Alleybux
It sounds like you might be having a negative reaction to your meds, they may need to be adjusted or try a different med.
I'd call my pharmacist (know much more information on meds than doctors imho) & my doctors office. Now. Today.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,535 48 2
Alleybux
Last year I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder.
I recently agreed to get on antidepressant starting with 10 mg to now 20mg. I was asked if I would like to get on mood stabilizers but I declined.
I am now having spells where it seems like I am tearing up to crying over every little thing. I was wondering if someone else had this issue and how did you deal?
I am in therapy but I don't see my counselor that often due to so many patients, it's free now so I don't want to push the issue.
Sorry to hear you’re going through this. I’ve had this problem for over a decade and I somehow try to find a way to go about my day. It’s not easy. It affects me mentally and physically at times. The intrusive negative thoughts are the worst followed by the OCD that comes with it. There were times I doubted my own name and identity to a point where I had to keep “proving” I am who I know to be. It’s a fµck!n curse is all I can say in a nutshell with all the mental rituals that you have to do. It started out with nonsensical physical compulsions and I had to train my brain to not act on the compulsion. Then it shifted gears and attacked me at my core mentally, my very foundation, where it made me feel like everything I always knew wasn’t true so it was a constant mental battle with myself to get that satisfaction, that good feeling that everything I always knew to be true was STILL true, while simultaneously trying to retain composure to hide it as I was ashamed of it.

There are a lot things that can trigger it off. However over time I just learned to deal with it and just let the sh!tty thoughts flood my brain, find a way to distract myself, etc. Counseling never helped. I refuse to get on any meds because of the negative side effects. I tried a Zoloft placebo once and it made me feel like I wanted to kill myself. Of course I was never into self harm or had any real desire to want to hurt myself but it’s the “feeling” the alarm system in my brain that becomes faulty and broken. That alarm system will just off at weird random times. I know meds take time to “work” but I think most of these meds are better for people with milder symptoms, not severe. When I took the 25mg of Zoloft I felt like I wanted to cry as well and it made me irritable. I hope you get through this. It’s not easy and a lot of people who don’t have this don’t realize how lucky they are not to deal with this sh!t. God Bless.

Last edited:

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I was the same way. Crying spells every single day. Anxiety through the roof everyday. I finally had a talk with my doctor and I'm now taking Sertraline and in therapy. Once I got adjusted to the meds, it felt good to get through a day without my stomach aching or crying every 5 mins. I feel sooo much better. My suggestion is to talk to your therapist and be vocal about you needing more sessions. You owe it to yourself to work on you.

BISH_IM_ME

So Serious
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,915 121 87
Alleybux
If you are on antidepressants and you have a mood disorder it can actually make your symptoms worse. It can heighten levels of suicidal thoughts. Some SSRIs can create insomnia and height euphoria in susceptible people. I would suggest you consult with your MD and tell them about your symptoms. Create a journal with your feelings. Its important to document your shifts. Mind you any new anti depressants take up to 6 weeks to begin working. Please consider all of these things. I'm sending a major virtual hug to you. Stay strong

anaisnin

Semi-Retired, Still Messy
Reaction score
Reactions
259,459 4,843 1,260
Alleybux
You might need the mood stabilizer that was suggested at the beginning. It might be a combo that works better than the antidepressant on its own. Don’t increase your dosage any more until you’ve seen the doctor.

brockhampton

JK Rowling STAN
Reaction score
Reactions
130,819 3,779 1,913
Alleybux
meds often make people worse, it can take several rounds of trial and error to find something suitable for you. also, there is always an adjustment period where you will feel worse.

personally, i felt like you did the first two weeks on antidepressants, but it got better eventually. although i found that they weren't doing much so i quit altogether.

try to focus on distractions. this has helped me a lot. things that you like to do (or used to enjoy). i use coloring books, i learned to sew, i go for daily walks, i tried to nourish my body better, get enough sleep. these are basic things that can have a huge impact on your wellbeing.

Sensei

*eyeroll*
Reaction score
Reactions
124,584 3,057 776
Alleybux
fµck!ng same. i too agree with another font that you may need the mood stabilizer.

IssaStallion

Hottie
Reaction score
Reactions
93,390 3,171 908
Alleybux
I was diagnosed in 2017 with the same OP. Take your meds and take them consistently. Otherwise those crying spells will come and go.

Kiaraaaaa

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,170 62 32
Alleybux
I have both disorders as well and if you are taking SSRI'S it may cause negative side effects such as suicidal ideation, worsening depression, mood instability etc. I would suggest you tell your doctor about your symptoms so they can try a new medication with you. I have also found mood stabilizers to be effective when combined with SSRI'S ( selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors).

TGSHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,126 2,641 2,419
Alleybux
Are you female? Girl those psych meds will mess you up. It might also be hormonal/ chemical imbalance.

temssssss

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,071 944 167
Alleybux
I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression as well.

I was on and off of different meds, but what really changed is when I got off of my hormonal BC. I was on the nuva ring and now I’m on the copper IUD.

it took some months for the hormones to get fully out of my system but that helped tremendously. The copper IUD isn’t perfect, but definitely is waaaay better

If you’re on a hormonal birth control, you should talk to your doctor

Hanzu

星孩
Reaction score
Reactions
29,855 3,588 1,218
Alleybux
The medicine is probably messing up your hormonal balance. I had a friend on these and they got irritated and would breakdown about everything. I recommend talking to your doctor about this.

tgm06

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,068 121 12
Alleybux
just...yikes to all these mds in here lol genuine question: what do you do in your free time? what do you spend most of your time doing (watching/listening to). How is your home/work environment? any major life changes in the past 6 months....so many questions that i wont ask on my off time @ this lovely lsa!! lol reflect on these and fill your life with joy as you continue to seek medical and spiritual assistance.

side note: are your psychiatrist and therapist in contact with one another?

LavaG

Don't ask, do tell
Reaction score
Reactions
6,701 592 492
Alleybux
Same thing happened to me last year. Only I missed 3 days of taking my pills. Just 3 days when I thought everything was going well, and then I broke down. Antidepressants need to be taken with short-acting tranquilizers, especially in the beginning. Please talk to your doctor and get a second opinion from another doctor.

It gets better but, honestly, I'm not sure if it ever gets to where it used to be. For me LSA is actually helpful as a distraction.

Cherrybabe

Angry but loving
Reaction score
Reactions
5,146 236 82
Alleybux
Are you sure your meds are working? With depression medication you very often need to try many different brands before finding the one that is suitable for you.

PinkFrosting

reverie. ♡
Reaction score
Reactions
16,172 2,111 3,121
Alleybux
I’m diagnosed with both of those and OCD so I understand and definitely have been there. It takes time but you’ll eventually learn yourself and understand when you need a break. Even if that means from work, family/friends. Don’t be afraid to take time for yourself, especially mentally, because with GAD literally anything can be a trigger out of the blue. The crying for me eventually stopped but I do feel down randomly a lot.

I went to therapy for 2 years straight (after having been hospitalized twice) and stopped. I was actually getting anxious having to go talk about my anxiety. I was recommended to get a dog which has helped SO MUCH!! I stopped taking daily medication, although the only one that really worked was Zoloft, but after a while that feels like you’re not taking anything. It does make you feel happy and energetic the first couple months.

I highly recommend Klonopin. I keep that in my purse for sudden anxiety attacks and it stops it right away. It’s not a daily medication and a lot of doctors don’t like prescribing it because it can be addicting. Be careful using it though bc it does make you feel a little high/floaty because you’re so relaxed. Goodluck!!

prophetposse

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,077 492 315
Alleybux
I had issues with anxiety. It began during college but really ignited by the pandemic (hypochondria). My psychiatrist had me on hydroxyzine 25mg (which is an antihistamine that makes you drowsy but it did help with short term anxiety attacks). Not long ago I ran into a Twitter thread about magnesium deficiency. Some mentioned it alleviating a variety of issues but a main topic was it helping with anxiety and panic disorders. I then at least wanted to try it out and see if it would help (its a supplement at worst it would not help) so I got from suggestion 250mg Magnesium Oxide (like the cheap drugstore brand name one) + 200mg L-Theanine and when I tell you it helped SO much. It has alleviated my anxiety about 90% imo. I still may get a little anxious feeling here and there but the general walking anxiety subsided and it also helped me sleep like a baby. I take it an hour before bed with a snack and its been a Godsend. Maybe you can give that a test run. Im not saying discard your meds but give it a try or talk to your doctor about it and see! Anyone else try Magneisum?

Andi420

Slava Ukraini! Putin’s Biggest Hater!!
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,966 4,903 6,268
Alleybux
A little bit of Xanax, klonopin or Valium could help along with a anti depressant. Cause I told them drs I need my benzos and they won’t refuse me.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
OP, speak with your doctor. My nephew was put on new medication and all he did was sleep, cry and lock himself in his bedroom until he was taken off the medication.

Everyone reacts to medication differently. I hope you find a good medication. Zoloft works for me and I've been on it for a year. I use Ativan/Lorazepam as a fast acting drug when I'm having and anxiety/panic attack.

Please keep us updated!

roxithefox

Advocate
Reaction score
Reactions
8,052 280 36
Alleybux
My advice is to take the meds and be very patient. It takes 3 weeks to see the effects of the medication. Prozac is really good for stabilizing you and helping you focus. It actually helps you do your work much better, in my experience. For anxiety, don't take the pill unless you feel anxious. Also, taking the meds for anxiety is better in the late afternoon in my case. Just take them when you need them. The antidepressants must be taken every day. Depression won't go away so please take your meds. Therapy is also the way to go.

Goingconcern

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,654 2,139 1,164
Alleybux
Been there done that. As you adjust to the meds, you're going to feel every emotion in the book, including nothing at all. I've been on Prozac for over 3 years and it was definitely a rocky start. Give yourself at least 3 or 4 months to start feeling "normal."

Hold off on the mood stabilizers until maybe 6 months after you've been on the antidepressant.

I hope you start getting better.

DorothyParker

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
958 4
Alleybux
You might need the mood stabilizer that was suggested at the beginning. It might be a combo that works better than the antidepressant on its own. Don’t increase your dosage any more until you’ve seen the doctor.
I was just coming to say this, the mood stabilizer may help. I know it helped me because Lexapro on its own wasn’t cutting it. Definitely see/ask the doctor!

TSquared

Oh, this what we on?
Reaction score
Reactions
290,158 5,931 701
Alleybux
I'm sorry hon. You might need to have your meds adjusted.
If you've just started taking them you'll need to give them a few weeks to get in your system. If you're still having a hard time, speak with your provider ASAP.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I t
Not OP here, So I went through the same last year and I opted not to get on meds. Not to sound woo woo or anything but I do believe as a whole, a lot of us are going through a process of being “purified” so to speak. A lot of suppressed sh!t is coming up and out for a lot of people. If you are working on traumas or just repressed feelings, you will battle with a bout of the anxiety and crying spells but it will get better. I also know that all this craziness going on in the world is likely exacerbating it but the crying spells won’t last! I promise. It’s horrible, it makes you feel crazy and it may get worse before it gets better but you will come out on the other side. Find a soothing release for yourself. For me it was watching YouTube vids and going out into nature and praying. Also, L-Theanine helps TREMENDOUSLY!

Love To Read

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
410 13 1
Alleybux
Adding a mood stabilizer has been helpful to me. Major depression for decades.

redbud tree

Ballin in Instabal, Turkey
Reaction score
Reactions
383,666 10,681 3,149
Alleybux

I'm sorry to hear this, OP.

Which antidepressant are you on?

What is the mood stabilizer that has been recommended?

Why did you decline?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I was just diagnosed with anxiety and depression.

Prozac made me anxious. I cried every day for a full week. I called out of work and could not function. It made me worse than I was prior to taking it.

I contacted my psychiatrist and now I am on Sertaline and it’s helping. It could be your new medication.

IssaStallion

Hottie
Reaction score
Reactions
93,390 3,171 908
Alleybux
I'll add
OP, speak with your doctor. My nephew was put on new medication and all he did was sleep, cry and lock himself in his bedroom until he was taken off the medication.

Everyone reacts to medication differently. I hope you find a good medication. Zoloft works for me and I've been on it for a year. I use Ativan/Lorazepam as a fast acting drug when I'm having and anxiety/panic attack.

Please keep us updated!
zoloft and hydroxyzine were good for me as well.

somethingcaramelo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,530 458 145
Alleybux
I have severe depression & random bouts as well. What helps me naturally sometimes is taking Vitamin D & changing my diet. I notice when I drink or eat certain sh*t it really causes me to think about the worst things & etc. Idk. Stay strong love.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,917 5,555 1,099
Alleybux
I had issues with anxiety. It began during college but really ignited by the pandemic (hypochondria). My psychiatrist had me on hydroxyzine 25mg (which is an antihistamine that makes you drowsy but it did help with short term anxiety attacks). Not long ago I ran into a Twitter thread about magnesium deficiency. Some mentioned it alleviating a variety of issues but a main topic was it helping with anxiety and panic disorders. I then at least wanted to try it out and see if it would help (its a supplement at worst it would not help) so I got from suggestion 250mg Magnesium Oxide (like the cheap drugstore brand name one) + 200mg L-Theanine and when I tell you it helped SO much. It has alleviated my anxiety about 90% imo. I still may get a little anxious feeling here and there but the general walking anxiety subsided and it also helped me sleep like a baby. I take it an hour before bed with a snack and its been a Godsend. Maybe you can give that a test run. Im not saying discard your meds but give it a try or talk to your doctor about it and see! Anyone else try Magneisum?
I have heard great things about magnesium! I might look into it. Glad it helped.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,917 5,555 1,099
Alleybux
I t

Not OP here, So I went through the same last year and I opted not to get on meds. Not to sound woo woo or anything but I do believe as a whole, a lot of us are going through a process of being “purified” so to speak. A lot of suppressed sh!t is coming up and out for a lot of people. If you are working on traumas or just repressed feelings, you will battle with a bout of the anxiety and crying spells but it will get better. I also know that all this craziness going on in the world is likely exacerbating it but the crying spells won’t last! I promise. It’s horrible, it makes you feel crazy and it may get worse before it gets better but you will come out on the other side. Find a soothing release for yourself. For me it was watching YouTube vids and going out into nature and praying. Also, L-Theanine helps TREMENDOUSLY!
I second what you are saying. Repressed emotions are trying to get free. “Feeling is healing.” Meds are important but also dealing with the trapped trauma and freeing it from your body is a big part of getting better too.
What you YouTube videos did you watch?

NamelessLurk

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
265 3 14
Alleybux
I have severe depression & random bouts as well. What helps me naturally sometimes is taking Vitamin D & changing my diet. I notice when I drink or eat certain sh*t it really causes me to think about the worst things & etc. Idk. Stay strong love.

Exercising and CDB for me.

DarkandDusky

We Are In The Age Of Aquarius
Reaction score
Reactions
779 40 22
Alleybux
Your meds aren't working the way they are supposed to. You need to push the issue with your prescriber. Everyone's brain chemistry is different. Don't wait. Hey someone you trust to do it with you.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
OP here again. I was not expecting a featured thread. Thank you to everyone who responded and you're suggestions.
To answer some questions:
I am currently on 20mg Lexapro which was previously increased from 10mg. I have been on Lexapro since January.
I was recently given 25mg of Hydroxyzine which I feel is just like Benadryl. It does not help outside of sleeping but I just got on it.
My psychiatrist is through my therapist.
I did not know what type of mood stabilizer my psychiatrist was going to give me.
I declined because I do not want to take various mental health medications. I didn't want to really get on medication in the first place.
I will be taking to my psychiatrist soon so I will tell her how I feel. I think the journal idea is good.
I feel small changes with the medication but overall I am still having issues such as tearing/crying, not being able to sleep sometime due to thoughts, and I'm irritabile sometime to where I can physically feel it.
I started therapy in May of last years and medication this year.
I was crying a little hear and there in counseling but it's more frequent now. I was not an emotional person before this.
I am dealing with failure and disappointment in life right now which caused my depression to get to a point where I seemed counseling.
I am worried that even if I do get to a good place in life it will not be enough.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
If you have a mood disorder (bipolar) you need to really be careful with anti-depressants as they are likely to tackle the depression but leave you with a big manic. I went through one of the biggest deprrssions and when a new doctor put me on a basic anti depressant i lost my mind, picked up a guy in a bar and moved in with him. 9 days later i realised i made a huge mistake and had to leave. It was a mess and i still feel bad.
Hang in there, OP. All will be a lot easier when you find the right set up.

Observe

Hit da Gas, and be outti 5 on dey azz
Reaction score
Reactions
22,288 7,222 4,795
Alleybux
I met an Ethiopian girl in the mental hospital who was in there for depression. When we both got out we still dated for a while but she was about her money and work ethic so she stopped seeing me . I think the way she got thru her depression was working like 12-16 hours a day every day to take her mind off it. The only way I’ve been depressed is cuz of money matters , but when I work the next day and make money I’m not depressed anymore. Maybe that’s why Japanese are less suicidal when they work daily and keep the money flowing, I wouldn’t worry OP, you Haven’t called suicidal hotlines

ianna62

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,409 1,099 350
Alleybux
I met an Ethiopian girl in the mental hospital who was in there for depression. When we both got out we still dated for a while but she was about her money and work ethic so she stopped seeing me . I think the way she got thru her depression was working like 12-16 hours a day every day to take her mind off it. The only way I’ve been depressed is cuz of money matters , but when I work the next day and make money I’m not depressed anymore. Maybe that’s why Japanese are less suicidal when they work daily and keep the money flowing, I wouldn’t worry OP, you Haven’t called suicidal hotlines
working to distract yourself doesn’t make you happy, it’s a distraction from your emotions.

coping with depression by working doesn’t mean the japanese aren’t depressed, in my opinion it shows they’re not strong/mentally able enough to deal with their problems & let themselves feel what they’re going through... so they have to distract themselves from it. that’s a short term fix because I bet when people go home from work... that’s when they’re depression is visible - but you wouldn’t see all of that.