Quantcast

Dallas continuity error?

SabrinaFairchild

The original glow-up
Reaction score
Reactions
8,878 178 79
Alleybux
I've been binging Dallas(The original CBS series) and have a question for veteran watchers.

After a couple of miscarriages and the paternity debate between Cliff and J.R it is discovered that Cliff and Pam are carriers of neurofibromatosis and is the reason why Digger is losing his health in his old age (in addition to the bottle). But on his death bed, Digger reveals that Pam is not his bio daughter.

Wouldn't this mean that Pam would not be a carrier for neurofibromatosis and that her and Bobby could have a healthy baby? Why do they eventually end up adopting? Was Pam's mother the carrier? Is this ever discussed further or made sense of or is it simply a continuity error on the writers part??

Last edited:

Aunt Jackie

Serving up loose meat sandwiches
Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
I've been binging Dallas(The original CBS series) and have a question for veteran watchers.

After a couple of miscarriages and the paternity debate between Cliff and J.R it is discovered that Cliff and Pam are carriers of neurofibromatosis and isthe reason why Digger is losing is health in his old age (in addition to the bottle). But on his death bed, Digger reveals that Pam is not his bio daughter.

Wouldn't this mean that Pam would not be a carrier for neurofibromatosis and that her and Bobby could have a healthy baby? Why do they eventually end up adopting? Was Pam's mother the carrier? Is this ever discussed further or made sense of or is it simply a continuity error on the writer's part??
The ended up adopting because Pam became very obsessed with having a baby and even attempted suicide over it. She got attached to JR and Sue Ellen's son when Sue Ellen was a drunk and JR was trying to take over Ewing Oil. When Bobby figured out JR had a son with Sue Ellen's coniving sister (who'd died), he went to get the baby, bring him home and confront JR about it. When he got home, Pam had just got released from the mental institution after her suicide attempt, she happened to have come down and saw Bobby with the baby and thought he brought him home for her. So they just adopted him.

Pam had a miscarriage (JR's fault) and I think she was a little scared about having another having another one, which is why (IIRC) she and Bobby were open to adopting.

Digger was the carrier of the disease not Pam's mother. Yes, she and Bobby could have a healthy baby but I'm not sure why they didn't try again. That's all I got, lol.

SabrinaFairchild

The original glow-up
Reaction score
Reactions
8,878 178 79
Alleybux
The ended up adopting because Pam became very obsessed with having a baby and even attempted suicide over it. She got attached to JR and Sue Ellen's son when Sue Ellen was a drunk and JR was trying to take over Ewing Oil. When Bobby figured out JR had a son with Sue Ellen's coniving sister (who'd died), he went to get the baby, bring him home and confront JR about it. When he got home, Pam had just got released from the mental institution after her suicide attempt, she happened to have come down and saw Bobby with the baby and thought he brought him home for her. So they just adopted him.

Pam had a miscarriage (JR's fault) and I think she was a little scared about having another having another one, which is why (IIRC) she and Bobby were open to adopting.

Digger was the carrier of the disease not Pam's mother. Yes, she and Bobby could have a healthy baby but I'm not sure why they didn't try again. That's all I got, lol.
I haven't gotten to the suicide attempt yet but I know Pam figured it wasn't worth trying to have another baby because of the illness. I e read ahead a bit on all that goes down between Pam and Bobby and it seems like the writers still kept the plotline of her having trouble conceiving or having a baby but I don't know if the neurofibromatosis was ever mentioned again. There's so much going on with J.R and Sue Ellen that I guess they couldn't keep up. Lol.

Aunt Jackie

Serving up loose meat sandwiches
Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
I haven't gotten to the suicide attempt yet but I know Pam figured it wasn't worth trying to have another baby because of the illness. I e read ahead a bit on all that goes down between Pam and Bobby and it seems like the writers still kept the plotline of her having trouble conceiving or having a baby but I don't know if the neurofibromatosis was ever mentioned again. There's so much going on with J.R and Sue Ellen that I guess they couldn't keep up. Lol.
Didn't mean to spoil anything for you. I assumed you had gotten that far and wanted clarity. My bad.

Cafe au lait

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
118,433 4,537 6,628
Alleybux
They really ruined Pam. They turned her into a ridiculous basket case.
I e read ahead a bit on all that goes down between Pam and Bobby and it seems like the writers still kept the plotline of her having trouble conceiving or having a baby but I don't know if the neurofibromatosis was ever mentioned again.

No I don't believe that it was. After the adoption Pam is content with finally having a baby, but she and Bobby still have a troubled relationship that gets worse.

SabrinaFairchild

The original glow-up
Reaction score
Reactions
8,878 178 79
Alleybux
They really ruined Pam. They turned her into a ridiculous basket case.

No I don't believe that it was. After the adoption Pam is content with finally having a baby, but she and Bobby still have a troubled relationship that gets worse.
I hate that Pam and Bobby eventually divorce.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux

After a couple of miscarriages and the paternity debate between Cliff and J.R it is discovered that Cliff and Pam are carriers of neurofibromatosis and is the reason why Digger is losing his health in his old age (in addition to the bottle). But on his death bed, Digger reveals that Pam is not his bio daughter.

Wouldn't this mean that Pam would not be a carrier for neurofibromatosis and that her and Bobby could have a healthy baby? Why do they eventually end up adopting? Was Pam's mother the carrier? Is this ever discussed further or made sense of or is it simply a continuity error on the writers part??

She had problems after she had that miscarriage when she fell in the barn.