Quantcast

Damn...I learned the name of my family's slave owner

SerafinaCyan

On timeout 4 correcting Xenophobic Misogynists
Reaction score
Reactions
131,086 4,869 2,150
Alleybux
I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me.

I know his name yall. I have seen a photo of his grave.

I struggle to put into words how I feel.

He was a white man from Scotland. He likely raped one of my gggg-grandmothers.

My heartbreaks for the torture my ancestors experienced.

Meliodas

not here.
Reaction score
Reactions
115,318 3,062 1,403
Alleybux
my mother's side of my family weren't slaves but ik exactly which family owned my father's side. we still have their last name to this day and the name is not common at all.

vile23

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,366 51 16
Alleybux
Omg woah, how did you find that? It's so hard to retrace such info and black american ancestr in general

1 800 BABE

Scheherazade
Reaction score
Reactions
75,172 1,310 324
Alleybux
Found our family name also. Yt owner was one of the 300 families brought to the Mexican territories by Steven F. Austin. This plantation owner maintained impeccable records and was the only way we could pinpoint the slave who began our family legacy here in America.

You

I'm not from Philadelphia, okay?
Reaction score
Reactions
101,037 3,066 626
Alleybux
That must have been such a sad moment when you found it out, OP :(

I'm sure your ancestors would be very proud of you and how far you've taken the family name

108c2257683620292f4687262f26e872.gif

SouthernNotCountry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
223,577 5,511 931
Alleybux
That's heavy OP, wow. My heart goes out to you, that's A LOT now that you can actually put a face and name to that demon.

My other half has a similar situation as the Bordelons on Queen Sugar. He owns family land and the slaveowners family lives on the other side of that land. He shares their last name and everything, smh. I told him I would've knocked on their door by now with some questions but he seems to be taking the high road and leave it be.

DarlingPikki

We are in desperate need of a D.R.O.P Squad
Reaction score
Reactions
54,752 1,748 383
Alleybux
OP, I can truly sympathize with you.

my family on my mother's side found the name of the family that owned us as well, this discovery also led us to the savage that raped my gg-grandmother who was 13 at the time that resulted in the birth of my g-grandfather(I am the 4th generation removed from slavery). The kicker is this all happened after slavery. Unfortunately part of my family were some of the slaves who ended up staying with their owners after slavery was abolished in Texas.

The story is that the family made up for the rape by giving my ggg-grandmother land and made sure my g-grandfather was taken care of up until adulthood....thats all great and sh!t but it opened up a lot of unnecessary hate towards my g-grandfather that ended up with them fleeing that same town after some of his children mysteriously ended up dead....but thats a another story for different time.

Genealogy is not for the faint heart. I had to stop for awhile because it was causing some drama.

NoLove4Heaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
133,504 5,276 1,515
Alleybux
I believe my current last name goes back. I found pictures of the house...which also has my last name.

We’ve had white people stop us and inquire about our family because most people with this last name are from the same family.

The people that I believe owned my family came straight over from Ireland. They came over in the late 1700s.
So much for the Irish being treated like blacks :disdain

SerafinaCyan

Reaction score
Reactions
131,086 4,869 2,150
Alleybux
Omg woah, how did you find that? It's so hard to retrace such info and black american ancestr in general
@ChenoaDarling

It was actually a family rumor that a father and son came from Scotland and planted (coffee or Pimento or sumn). And had children with black women and that's how we came about. I suspected one of them might have been our family's slave owners but it was never confirmed until Thursday.

I joined an ancestry group on Facebook and found some cousins who currently live in that area. They have photos of his tombstone and were able to fill in gaps to the story that I didn't know - so I knew they were legit.

My family is Jamaican. Honestly, our records are hard to find too because slavery ended in the 1830s (making word of mouth from former slaves harder to get) and they keep the majority of records in the UK.

Plus, the way slavery was organized in the Caribbean is different. In the US, the black population mainly grew due to white slave masters raping black enslaved women. In Jamaica, that occurred (as is the case with my family) just not enough to create a big population due to the conditions of sugar plantations. Sugar plantations were death traps. Like...unsurvivable. They starved the people for fun (wicked rass them) and the machinery used to boil the molasses and all that to make the sugar was very dangerous. People often fell into vats of sugar and died from burns smh.

Idk if you ever heard that American slaves that were unruly were sent to Jamaica to be "broken". Smh. They treated them extra rough. So not too many Jamaicans have ancestors who actually lived on the island say 300 or 400 years ago. The conditions were too rough to survive. Most of our ancestors were brought over in more recent waves of the slave trade - like the 1800s.

I don't say any of that in an oppression olympics type of way, to say that one nation's slavery was worse than the other. They were both gruesome and it all should've never happened. I'm just explain the situation based on the books and articles I have read about slavery in both parts of the Americas.

But the Church of Latter Day Saints (somehow...I'd like to know how) has access records to a lot of these records and have digitized them on familysearch.org. that's how I found a lot of my older relatives birth and death certificates, marriage certificates etc.

Last edited:

SerafinaCyan

Reaction score
Reactions
131,086 4,869 2,150
Alleybux
That must have been such a sad moment when you found it out, OP :(

I'm sure your ancestors would be very proud of you and how far you've taken the family name
Aww thank you so much, hun. Kindest words ever :heart:

SerafinaCyan

Reaction score
Reactions
131,086 4,869 2,150
Alleybux
That's heavy OP, wow. My heart goes out to you, that's A LOT now that you can actually put a face and name to that demon.

My other half has a similar situation as the Bordelons on Queen Sugar. He owns family land and the slaveowners family lives on the other side of that land. He shares their last name and everything, smh. I told him I would've knocked on their door by now with some questions but he seems to be taking the high road and leave it be.
Oh my gosh. Whoa. Your partner's situation is super heavy. I think I'd have to question them too. He's amazing for taking the high road.

In Jamaica, our situation is different whereas most of the white people were either absorbed into the culture by 1) marrying/having babies with black women, 2) leaving the rural area for big cities like Kingston where they live as the elite mixed race class or 3) they left Jamaica, all together.

I'm not sure if this particular slave owner left land to my ancestors who are his descendants. However, I know that another line of my family - the white forefather left his son land and horses which were passed on to my great grandfather.

SerafinaCyan

Reaction score
Reactions
131,086 4,869 2,150
Alleybux
OP, I can truly sympathize with you.

my family on my mother's side found the name of the family that owned us as well, this discovery also led us to the savage that raped my gg-grandmother who was 13 at the time that resulted in the birth of my g-grandfather(I am the 4th generation removed from slavery). The kicker is this all happened after slavery. Unfortunately part of my family were some of the slaves who ended up staying with their owners after slavery was abolished in Texas.

The story is that the family made up for the rape by giving my ggg-grandmother land and made sure my g-grandfather was taken care of up until adulthood....thats all great and sh!t but it opened up a lot of unnecessary hate towards my g-grandfather that ended up with them fleeing that same town after some of his children mysteriously ended up dead....but thats a another story for different time.

Genealogy is not for the faint heart. I had to stop for awhile because it was causing some drama.
Omg! 13?! She was a baby. Aww.

And the rest of your family story - again - I am speechless. That is so sad. As if it's not difficult enough to know that he's a product of rape, those jealous white bastards went on to kill his kids. WTF. They are so evil.

Has any of your family returned to that area?

I'm so sorry that you had to learn all that. Yes, you're completely right. It's not for the faint of heart.

I always enjoyed making new discoveries about my family tree but this one was painful.

Curtprice75

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,803 262 190
Alleybux
OP, thank you for posting your family history. Your explanation for the history of your family as well as your passion to learn about it is why I love Geneaology.

Just like you, I'm a Descendant of Slaves and Slaveowners. I've learned so many things about my family history on both sides and I realize that I come from great stock. Both of my parents directly descend from the Black American Population before the US Civil War(1860) and I'm proud to be apart of that Community. My ancestors went through triumphs and tragedies and learning about those things has inspired me to be the best person that I can be.

They say knowledge is power and it's true. There's nothing like knowing where you come from; good, bad and in between, extraordinary and ordinary. At the end of day, your discovery gave closure and should show the power and strength of the legacy that you descend from.

DarlingPikki

We are in desperate need of a D.R.O.P Squad
Reaction score
Reactions
54,752 1,748 383
Alleybux
Omg! 13?! She was a baby. Aww.

And the rest of your family story - again - I am speechless. That is so sad. As if it's not difficult enough to know that he's a product of rape, those jealous white bastards went on to kill his kids. WTF. They are so evil.

Has any of your family returned to that area?

I'm so sorry that you had to learn all that. Yes, you're completely right. It's not for the faint of heart.

I always enjoyed making new discoveries about my family tree but this one was painful.

Yeah....I had already knew the story via my late Grandmother but I had no idea she was that young. I was taken by surprised how much that piece of information infuriated me.

As far I know no one in my family has returned to that area. My whole family packed up and left shortly after those children we buried....and that was in 1917.

A rollercoaster of emotions.

anniemae110

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me.

I know his name yall. I have seen a photo of his grave.

I struggle to put into words how I feel.

He was a white man from Scotland. He likely raped one of my gggg-grandmothers.

My heartbreaks for the torture my ancestors experienced.
Hey..not sure if you’re still active on this thread or site but can you please message me?