Quantcast

Data science careers and certs

mizzchoc

Scarywoo
Reaction score
Reactions
20,609 878 126
Alleybux
Thank you! So, I checked my spam folder and I didn’t see anything from the program. I logged in on the website, and it still says my application is processing. There’s still hope for me lol.

Are they really helpful when it comes to mentoring and finding an actual job in the field?

You'll definitely be accepted.

You will learn a lot about job searching. I attended a lot of resume and linkedin sessions, interview prep and talks about what employers look for. Im new to job searching, so everything has been an eye opener..i didnt know i had to do so much to get a job. Finding a job is a job in itself.

My resume and interviewing skills before the program was trash and basic. Also, they have their own job portal, i havent had luck yet since some of the jobs require data analyst experience.

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
You'll definitely be accepted.

You will learn a lot about job searching. I attended a lot of resume and linkedin sessions, interview prep and talks about what employers look for. Im new to job searching, so everything has been an eye opener..i didnt know i had to do so much to get a job. Finding a job is a job in itself.

My resume and interviewing skills before the program was trash and basic. Also, they have their own job portal, i havent had luck yet since some of the jobs require data analyst experience.
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I concur finding a job is exhausting, and these companies have different requirements for similar positions lol.

I will welcome any interview help, because they really ask some of the most random questions to throw you off. I paid to have my resume done a few years ago, but I’ve noticed that employers sometimes hire who they want no matter how great you interview. I felt like I aced an interview last week and didn’t get selected. I was confident and had everything they were looking for in the job description. I actually have the same background as the hiring manager, smh.

mizzchoc

Scarywoo
Reaction score
Reactions
20,609 878 126
Alleybux
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I concur finding a job is exhausting, and these companies have different requirements for similar positions lol.

I will welcome any interview help, because they really ask some of the most random questions to throw you off. I paid to have my resume done a few years ago, but I’ve noticed that employers sometimes hire who they want no matter how great you interview. I felt like I aced an interview last week and didn’t get selected. I was confident and had everything they were looking for in the job description. I actually have the same background as the hiring manager, smh.

Similar experience, I felt like I had the role in the bag. I was bummed out when they moved on with another candidate. Also, 3 days ago a company sent me a case study to work on without even speaking to me. I ended up spending hours working on it when I could have used that time for other things such as practicing coding. I havent heard back from them. The nerve of these companies..i wasn't worth the convo? lol my dumbass still worked on it tho.

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
Similar experience, I felt like I had the role in the bag. I was bummed out when they moved on with another candidate. Also, 3 days ago a company sent me a case study to work on without even speaking to me. I ended up spending hours working on it when I could have used that time for other things such as practicing coding. I havent heard back from them. The nerve of these companies..i wasn't worth the convo? lol my dumbass still worked on it tho.
Wow, I didn’t even know companies were sending case studies prior to an interview. They really are trippin out here. Don’t worry we will land our dream jobs soon!

mizzchoc

Scarywoo
Reaction score
Reactions
20,609 878 126
Alleybux
Okay I received the email for the interview!

@mizzchoc How good was the Mentorship during this program?

CONGRAT!!! the interview is a recorded one. You'll answer questions like why do you want to be in the program, what will you do after the program? what happens if you are absent one weekend? how will you let your group know etc

To be honest, the mentors in my group wasnt it. they didnt help me...i kinda wished I had some cool mentors like the other groups. some groups had mentors working in the nba, google, apple. My mentors were not in the data science field, so i didnt benefit from them as much.

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
CONGRAT!!! the interview is a recorded one. You'll answer questions like why do you want to be in the program, what will you do after the program? what happens if you are absent one weekend? how will you let your group know etc

To be honest, the mentors in my group wasnt it. they didnt help me...i kinda wished I had some cool mentors like the other groups. some groups had mentors working in the nba, google, apple. My mentors were not in the data science field, so i didnt benefit from them as much.
Thank you for the heads up!

Hold up, what’s the point of having mentors who aren’t in data science in a data science program? Smh, sorry to hear about that part of your experience.

I wonder how they will select which group to put you in.

mizzchoc

Scarywoo
Reaction score
Reactions
20,609 878 126
Alleybux
Thank you for the heads up!

Hold up, what’s the point of having mentors who aren’t in data science in a data science program? Smh, sorry to hear about that part of your experience.

I wonder how they will select which group to put you in.

My mentors were directors in IT management and data governance..not tech fields that i was interested in. I wanted data scientist mentors. Mentors are chosen based on your group's background and interests. Most of my group members didn't like coding or wanted to be data scientist even though they are in this program...make it make sense!!

group members are chosen based on your time zones(est, cst, pst)

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
My mentors were directors in IT management and data governance..not tech fields that i was interested in. I wanted data scientist mentors. Mentors are chosen based on your group's background and interests. Most of my group members didn't like coding or wanted to be data scientist even though they are in this program...make it make sense!!

group members are chosen based on your time zones(est, cst, pst)
Wow, they shouldn’t have joined the program if they didn’t want to really be in the field lol. That’s cray, cray!

I’m interested in data science and data governance. I don’t know which one to choose lol. I heard that people in data governance make bank though! I want to learn to code, because a lot of job descriptions in Fraud Analytics require Python, R, and SQL. I feel like learning to code will open more doors for me.

If you know the other mentor professional’s names, I think you should connect with them on LinkedIn. Did add this program to your resume?

mizzchoc

Scarywoo
Reaction score
Reactions
20,609 878 126
Alleybux
Wow, they shouldn’t have joined the program if they didn’t want to really be in the field lol. That’s cray, cray!

I’m interested in data science and data governance. I don’t know which one to choose lol. I heard that people in data governance make bank though! I want to learn to code, because a lot of job descriptions in Fraud Analytics require Python, R, and SQL. I feel like learning to code will open more doors for me.

If you know the other mentor professional’s names, I think you should connect with them on LinkedIn. Did add this program to your resume?

Tell me about it. I was pissed like why did you go through all this hurdle and apply for this program? I hope you have a great group..because things will get tough and interesting when you work in a group. I made sure to handle all of the coding and data visualization in our group project...so that i can benefit from it and explain it during interviews. Whereas the rest wanted to write reports and present.

I feel like ppl in data governance are either mangers or directors. For me it makes sense to start learning how to code, sql, data story telling ..because there's so much opportunities. I had an interview for a fraud analyst role recently...i felt confident during the interview..but unfortunately the went with another candidate.

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
Tell me about it. I was pissed like why did you go through all this hurdle and apply for this program? I hope you have a great group..because things will get tough and interesting when you work in a group. I made sure to handle all of the coding and data visualization in our group project...so that i can benefit from it and explain it during interviews. Whereas the rest wanted to write reports and present.

I feel like ppl in data governance are either mangers or directors. For me it makes sense to start learning how to code, sql, data story telling ..because there's so much opportunities. I had an interview for a fraud analyst role recently...i felt confident during the interview..but unfortunately the went with another candidate.
I pray that my group is good too, because ain’t nobody got time for foolishness lol. I’ve noticed that almost all the jobs in anti-fraud require coding, but it wasn’t like that a few years ago. I think they are purposely doing this to leave people out of the field. Your dream job is coming soon!

pakapoagal

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
785 9 14
Alleybux
I don’t think I made it. The last I heard from them was on august 3rd to take the assessment which I did. Wow was not ready for statistics. I totally failed. When I log into my account it just says no program available. I will try again

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
I don’t think I made it. The last I heard from them was on august 3rd to take the assessment which I did. Wow was not ready for statistics. I totally failed. When I log into my account it just says no program available. I will try again
Did you check your spam or junk folders?

BLKBAMBI

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,991 14,292 10,401
Alleybux
This bootcamp from Ironhack congrats me on a $2,500 scholarship for a $12,500 program to learn Excel and Tableau. Pass. I am not that gullible.

Melanie45221

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,889 103 1
Alleybux
Thanks to this thread I learned about DS4A and I got the email today that I was accepted! I am too excited, I know verrryyy little about python so this 4 week pre-course is kinda scary lol

antheracct

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,239 219 292
Alleybux
I was accepted this week too. I am super nervous, I could not fins a lot of information on the internet about the program. Good luck everyone!

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
I’m so grateful that you all shared the info about this fellowship. The ladies of LSA have been more helpful than the people I’ve networked with in person. I’m so excited to dedicate my time to learning something new. For awhile, I didn’t know how I was going to transition to become a data professional. God bless you all!

Last edited:

Natalie22

Lauren London is my mama
Reaction score
Reactions
36,286 789 154
Alleybux
How long after the assessment did it take those of you to receive acceptance into the program? I took the assessment earlier this month and haven't received anything, meanwhile my bf took it around the same time and received an email that he was not accepted.

Melanie45221

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,889 103 1
Alleybux
How long after the assessment did it take those of you to receive acceptance into the program? I took the assessment earlier this month and haven't received anything, meanwhile my bf took it around the same time and received an email that he was not accepted.
I did the assessment on 8/30, got the interview invite on 9/13 and my acceptance email (which ended up in my spam) on 9/16

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
Here is my timeline:

Assessment Invite: 7/28
Interview Invite: 9/2
Acceptance email: 9/14

antheracct

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,239 219 292
Alleybux
Here is my timeline:

applied : 8/28
Assessment invite: 8/29
Completed assessment: 9/7
Interview invite: 9/12
Submitted interview: 9/16
Accepted: 9/20

antheracct

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,239 219 292
Alleybux
Did you check your junk mail? I’m honestly suprised I got in, b/c my interview was a HOT mess. I’m not trying to be self deprecating. Does anyone know how competitive it really is? Like, applications they get verse what they accept?

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
Did you check your junk mail? I’m honestly suprised I got in, b/c my interview was a HOT mess. I’m not trying to be self deprecating. Does anyone know how competitive it really is? Like, applications they get verse what they accept?
I know the exam had me about to pull out my hair lol. For me, the interview was great. I liked that they asked questions that really mattered…no trick questions. I had to pay attention to the time when recording though lol.

I was reading this blog that one of the participants from the first cohort posted, and she said that out of 8,500 applicants they accepted 500 people. I’m not sure where she got the info, but I know the materials stated that it was merit based. I truly believe that your background and resume plays an important role since they asked for it twice.

Last edited:

Melanie45221

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,889 103 1
Alleybux
my interview was AWFUL imo lol!! I was also surprised that I got in.

Sebastian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,603 877 115
Alleybux
I'm doing the IBM program on Edx. It's nice because when you get a cert, they give you a link to put it on your LinkedIn. I'm doing DataCamp later so I don't forget what I learn.

Where are you getting yours?

Update: I'm a data engineer now.

Bourgie Boho

Igbo girls dey maintain
Reaction score
Reactions
236,722 9,040 6,391
Alleybux
I’m liking it so far! I did get the IBM certificate.
That's good to hear! Good luck on your new journey :heart:.

Also, I was going to get my python cert through the python institute, but they weren't offering the entry level exam. I'm thinking of getting it though IBM.

Would you mind posting the python IBM link?

Sebastian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,603 877 115
Alleybux
That's good to hear! Good luck on your new journey :heart:.

Also, I was going to get my python cert through the python institute, but they weren't offering the entry level exam. I'm thinking of getting it though IBM.

Would you mind posting the python IBM link?