Quantcast

Debra Messing questions why Kim Kardashian was announced to host Saturday Night Live: 'Am I missing something?'

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
659,083 274,616 8,222
Alleybux
Kim Kardashian celebrated the news on Wednesday that she would host an upcoming episode of Saturday Night Live.

But Will & Grace star Debra Messing seemed to be puzzled by Kim's high-profile gig in a tweet fired off later in the day.

The 53-year-old comic actress seemed to wonder if the 40-year-old Keeping Up With The Kardashians star would fit in with other more traditional performers.

Does not compute: Debra Messing, 53, seemed confused as to why Kim Kardashian would be announced as one of the upcoming hosts for Saturday Night Live in a tweet fired off on Wednesday; seen in 2020 in NYC

Does not compute: Debra Messing, 53, seemed confused as to why Kim Kardashian would be announced as one of the upcoming hosts for Saturday Night Live in a tweet fired off on Wednesday; seen in 2020 in NYC

'Why Kim Kardashian?' Messing mused in her tweet. 'I mean, I know she is a cultural icon, but SNL has hosts, generally, who are performers who are there to promote a film, TV Show, or album launch.

'Am I missing something?' she added.

Although the sitcom star added flatteringly that Kim was a 'cultural icon,' it wasn't clear if she was shading Kim for not be a performer, or for not having anything new to promote.

Although her long-running reality series KUWTK came to an end back in June, she isn't exactly giving up on reality stardom.

'Am I missing something?': Messing wondered why Kardashian was hosting, as 'SNL has hosts, generally, who are performers who are there to promote a film, TV show, or album launch'

'Am I missing something?': Messing wondered why Kardashian was hosting, as 'SNL has hosts, generally, who are performers who are there to promote a film, TV show, or album launch'

Something to promote: Kim and the rest of the Kardashian–Jenner clan will be taking new content to Hulu in the near future, though they've remained vague about what form their next ventures will take; seen in 2019 in NYC

Something to promote: Kim and the rest of the Kardashian–Jenner clan will be taking new content to Hulu in the near future, though they've remained vague about what form their next ventures will take; seen in 2019 in NYC

Kim and the rest of the Kardashian–Jenner clan will be taking new content to Hulu in the near future, though they've remained vague about what form their next ventures will take.

At Disney’s Investors Day earlier this year, it was announced that the family's new reality content would likely premiere later this year, so she may be ready to make an announcement by the time she hosts SNL.

In April, her mother Kris Jenner told the Wall Street Journal Magazine that the family hadn't 'really nailed down the exact format yet,' though they were 'working on it.'

'We’ll be on Hulu and hopefully thriving,' she said of the outlook for the next ten years, adding they would be 'doing what we love to do and being exactly where we’re supposed to be.'

Kim has also added that Scott Disick, who was one of the cast members who opposed ending KUWTK, will be joining the family for the new Hulu content.

Earlier this month, she told Ellen DeGeneres that she also hoped her sister Kourtney Kardashian's beau Travis Barker would also join them for filming.

The end: Kim and her family ended KUWTK in June, but they'll soon be back in some capacity. Kim has said Scott Disick will join them, and she hopes Kourtney's beau Travis Barker will too; still from the KUWTK reunion episode

The end: Kim and her family ended KUWTK in June, but they'll soon be back in some capacity. Kim has said Scott Disick will join them, and she hopes Kourtney's beau Travis Barker will too; still from the KUWTK reunion episode

Big night: Earlier on Wednesday, Kim celebrated the SNL announcement with an individual photo revealing she would be hosting the October 9 episode with Halsey as the musical guest

Big night: Earlier on Wednesday, Kim celebrated the SNL announcement with an individual photo revealing she would be hosting the October 9 episode with Halsey as the musical guest

Earlier on Wednesday, Kim celebrated the SNL announcement with an individual photo revealing she would be hosting the October 9 episode with Halsey as the musical guest.

Despite her ongoing divorce from Kanye West, Kim hasn't moved to remove West as her last name, and the note in the announcement photo also featured the last name.

'OMFG no turning back now!!!! LOL,' she captioned the post.

Fellow newbies: Owen Wilson will kick off season 47 of SNL on October 2; seen in 2019

Back: Jason Sudeikis will have a homecoming of sorts when he hosts on October 23. He acted and/or wrote for the show from 2003 to 2013; pictured on Sunday

Fellow newbies: Owen Wilson will kick off season 47 of SNL on October 2 while Jason Sudeikis will have a homecoming of sorts when he hosts on October 23

The series is likely hoping for a ratings bump after it received its lowest ratings in a decade back in March, according to Showbiz 411.

However, much of that ratings slump is likely due to the ongoing pandemic, and several other TV shows have experienced particularly poor ratings since last year.

Owen Wilson will be hosting the season opener on October 2 with Kacey Musgraves performing, while Ted Lasso star and recent Emmy winner Jason Sudeikis will host the October 23 episode.

Debra was most recent seen on the revival of her iconic sitcom Will & Grace, which debut in 2017 and ended its second run in April 2020.

Messing has never appeared or host SNL.

Back for more: Debra was most recent seen on the revival of her iconic sitcom Will & Grace, which debut in 2017 and ended its second run in April 2020; pictured with (Eric McCormack, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally

Back for more: Debra was most recent seen on the revival of her iconic sitcom Will & Grace, which debut in 2017 and ended its second run in April 2020; pictured with (Eric McCormack, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally

Last edited by a moderator:

bullish af

Well-Groaned Member
Reaction score
Reactions
393,353 11,589 7,232
Alleybux
Good question, Debra. I honestly asked the same thing when Debra kept being trotted out as a judge on Project Runway as if she had any say in what is cool or fashionable. Nonetheless, good question. KK has zero charisma and acting skill.

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
659,083 274,616 8,222
Alleybux
Have SNL ever had a reality star as a host before? I can't remember one. Kanye would make sense but his (ex)wife?

Jen12bland

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,748 3,975 356
Alleybux
Have SNL ever had a reality star as a host before? I can't remember one. Kanye would make sense but his (ex)wife?
They had trump on there and he was in reality tv. They also had Paris Hilton back in the day as a host , so Kim isn’t really that big of a deal from the people they’ve had .

Mulberry

I don't interact with new fonts. 365 day minimum.
Reaction score
Reactions
153,602 5,550 2,401
Alleybux
I don't disagree.
However, for someone who postures herself as pro-women, isn't interesting that you only hear about Debra Messing when she's making a dig at another woman?

SJ LOVE

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,596 504 639
Alleybux
Also didnt they just have Elon musk as a host, I'm sure you could get a whole list that shows they have any celebs

hard_candy

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
61,379 4,354 2,978
Alleybux
Debra isn't lying.
KK is vapid af, so I expect that her hosting SNL will quite possibly result in the biggest snoozefest in the show's history.

lollybonzer

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,092 1,075 319
Alleybux
She's probably mad they never asked her to host which is interesting since she's a New Yorker and Will & Grace was so huge.

Is it wrong to say she's the type that you can just tell her would be annoying in real life?

URAzzIsRupunzel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,611 306 496
Alleybux
Debra darling, I loved Will and Grace, but can you please focus on your own career. Revamp it or something, and stop worrying about someone elses.
Maybe you should produce something or start writing. Your career is as only good as what you hustle for.

Love or hate Kim(I personally am in different to her), but she is a brand and marketing beast.

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
659,083 274,616 8,222
Alleybux
Debra darling, I loved Will and Grace, but can you please focus on your own career. Revamp it or something, and stop worrying about someone elses.
Maybe you should produce something or start writing. Your career is as only good as what you hustle for.

Love or hate Kim(I personally am in different to her), but she is a brand and marketing beast.
She's filming 13:The musical atm.

LovelySan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
119,964 5,083 6,135
Alleybux
I wish people would just leave Kim alone. Whether you like her or not she isn't bothering anyone. I think a lot of the hate from these actors comes from jealousy. They're pissed that a reality star (someone they look down on) is more famous than them and getting opportunities they aren't getting. Lots of reality stars have said that actors look down on them and have said nasty things about them. I think even Nene said something like that once.

Thatone7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,245 995 518
Alleybux
It’s 2021. These times don’t care about talent. Look at the artists who are always being promoted on lsa now with no memorable song or album lol

Nubiacoco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
230,054 6,710 1,067
Alleybux
PMP Kris has the juice
Regardless on how I feel about them and their methods but Kris Jenner is a marketing/branding "genuis".
She has extended her family 15 minutes of fame beyond expected.
They are also trying to rebrand Kim which seems to be working.
The episode will do numbers for sure.

BC Chica

Russian Bot
Reaction score
Reactions
211,372 8,537 3,150
Alleybux
Did she question why Elon Musk hosted SNL last spring? I am not a Kar-Jenner stan by any means, but I am kinda over the phony outrage regarding some matters. To me, it is not that shocking that KKW is hosting SNL.

Also SNL sucks, In Living Color and MADtv all day, every day!

Anatwyla

my booty opened a portal to success
Reaction score
Reactions
189,871 4,705 804
Alleybux
It's on brand for SNL though since they haven't been funny since the 90s. It seems to only exist as a PR vehicle for their guest hosts with unfunny try hard skits in between. The only thing worth watching is the musical guest.