Quantcast

Debt free folks -- get in here (please)

Are you debt free?

• Yes

Votes: 63 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Almost (will reach that goal in the next 48 months)

Votes: 53 36.3%

• Total voters

cuteNcranky

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,840 980 293
Alleybux
A few years ago, I went hardball to get debt free and got down to a very small student loan and no other debt.

Now. I have a remainder of that student loan, and have amassed the same amount of consumer debt as I did in student loans in total.

This is definitely a situation of living outside of my means. But i'm gonna ask advice of those who have crossed the finish line. What were your top strategies to get you over the finish line?

ladyvibrant

reading when not online
Reaction score
Reactions
8,174 136 39
Alleybux
I restrict myself to cooking, going to the library, and using everything I own before buying a replacement or new item.

I think you have to adjust to the fact that life has to be lived at a slower pace when you're eliminating debt.

Overitall

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,948 6,762 4,422
Alleybux
I only have my law school loan. I have started paying it aggressively (and mad that I didn’t start sooner). It never bothered me before but over the Xmas break (and maybe after reading a few I paid off my student loan posts/stories) I decided bump that let me just pay this off. It is a lot but I can do it. I would love to have it paid in 12 months but 18 months is probably more like it....can’t wait!

My strategy is to cut off most of frivolous expenses and just direct all my income to my loan. Based on what I earn, I can do it as it isn’t more than my net and still leaves me with enough to live.

Last edited:

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,767 6,962 11,545
Alleybux
Read Dave Ramsey's book. I think its call Total Money Makeover. Follow the baby steps.

BUT once you are out of debt, it takes more than steps to remain there or else, as you know, you will be right back where you started. I almost went back, too. It is a slow creep back into debt. Therefore , you must also think differently. Mainly:
-- I changed my mindset. Reminded myself every time I was tempted , of how miserable it is to be in debt .
---Did what I call a pull-pus. If I'm going to buy something, I pull back and plan where the money is coming from( tax returns, extra jobs, savings,etc.) then I buy it. I pull back from an impulse to buy then push when I have allotted the money.

Conclusion: Staying out of debt is a mind game.

Just1

I've lived too long.
Reaction score
Reactions
9,436 187 112
Alleybux
Don't spend more than you can afford.

Simpler still, don't spend more than you make.

TheLurker2019

I don’t read your replies
Reaction score
Reactions
11,804 750 558
Alleybux
Keeping a budget.

I know where every dollar I earn is going, right down to the last penny.

Live below your means.

Buy used. Everything from my phone and computer were bought used/refurbished from ebay and the Apple store.

In summary, you’re going to have to do things that others won’t do to get to a place where everyone wants to be.

CandleCrazii

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,353 3,237 46
Alleybux
One thing that helps also is to keep 'paying' a debt even after you have paid it off. When I paid off my car ($210 monthly) I opened a second saving account and paid $200 into it. I lived like I still had that loan but the money went into an account where I refused the debit card. My car is 12 years old so I know that when I need to get a new one I'm already in the mindset of paying AND there is some money in savings to get me going.

I agree with what all the others above said, especially about the mindset part. Poor is your financial state but broke is a mindset.

BlckDynomite

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
230 4
Alleybux
I've been meaning to start a thread concerning this. I managed to get through undergrad and grad school without debt and I'm about to start my first decently paying job. (not six figures, but being single w/ no kids gives me more disposable income)

What should I start working towards? I was thinking a low cost starter home that I can rent in the future, but I want to hear advice!

Reesey123

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
617 2
Alleybux
I know this might be drastic for some, but for me, what really worked was getting a second job. That way, I was able to live off one job's income and put the other income to my student loan.

I didn't completely deprive myself but I did get into the habit of selling some of my stuff online before procuring new things (mostly clothes, bags, shoes, etc.). You'd be surprised what you can get for things hanging around in your closet.

I also drastically cut down my food budget and limited restaurants.

Good luck on your debt-free journey!

Lady123

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,308 11 1
Alleybux
Whew! I did this last year, and cleared off everything; personal loan, credit card, over draft and student loan. It's tough but very possible.
  • I reduced all my subscriptions to as low as possible. Phone - I didn't upgrade, so I'm no longer paying for a new phone, just the service, TV - I cancelled, Broadband - looked for new deal to reduce cost.
  • I started bringing in lunch for work.
  • Told my friends to limit the amount of times they invite me out, because I'll be saying no most of the time.
  • I went to the extreme and told my employer to cancel my private pension for the time being.
  • I live in the UK and take the tube to work. Not only did I limit the zones I bought my monthly travel card for (I used to get zone 1-3 for £163, now I get zones 2-3 for £103) I decided to use a benefit at work where they buy you an annual travel card and you pay them back each time you get paid. This automatically makes it cheaper (equivalent of £87 a month). It's even more cheaper in the long run, because they take the monthly payments from your paycheck before tax.
  • Convinced my family to do Secret Santa for Christmas instead of buying a gift for everyone! (I have a big family).
  • Got a loan from my bank to clear off all the debts so that I had just the one debt to pay at a lower interest rate.
  • Put every spare penny towards the debt. Over pay on each of your instalments as much as you can.
  • Say NO to yourself and to your friends and family more often. Also budget in advance.
Not sure how it is where you are, but if you have a credit card that you've paid off, try and keep it open. I was so excited when I paid everything off, I closed my credit card and my credit score dropped 80 points!! I didn't know it was better to have one than not.

I now have a new goal this year, which is a deposit for a house. So whilst I'm keeping some of the strategies I mentioned above, I'm also cutting out travel til the end of the year. When you think of the cost of flights, hotel, shopping and spending money, it builds up and the absence of these holidays can help with your goal quite a bit.

It's just for the time-being, if you can be disciplined and reject thinking about all the things you're missing out on, just for a little while, you'll be good.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

Amber Gates

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,542 426 79
Alleybux
Read Dave Ramsey's book. I think its call Total Money Makeover. Follow the baby steps.

BUT once you are out of debt, it takes more than steps to remain there or else, as you know, you will be right back where you started. I almost went back, too. It is a slow creep back into debt. Therefore , you must also think differently. Mainly:
-- I changed my mindset. Reminded myself every time I was tempted , of how miserable it is to be in debt .
---Did what I call a pull-pus. If I'm going to buy something, I pull back and plan where the money is coming from( tax returns, extra jobs, savings,etc.) then I buy it. I pull back from an impulse to buy then push when I have allotted the money.

Conclusion: Staying out of debt is a mind game.

I agree 100%. I'm 100% debt free as of January, but I stay listening to Dave Ramsey, ChooseFi and following the debt free community on IG. It keeps me focused and accountable.

I was obsessed with getting out of debt. Now my obsession is creating wealth for my son and I. I have an Excel sheet that documents all spending, all bills, where money is coming in from, where it goes etc. I look at it 5 times a day. I have another Excel chart that records all of my investments 401K, Roth IRA, Brokerage accounts etc.

Miss_Single

“Karma is the most patient gangster ever”
Reaction score
Reactions
38,061 1,457 295
Alleybux
Even while paying down debt, I was putting money into my savings. It wasn't a lot but it was something and once it hit over a certain amount, I was determined to wipe out the rest my debt so I could continue to watch my savings grow.

Belle Heir

Huzzah
Reaction score
Reactions
6,684 176 88
Alleybux
I got strict and paid my debts before paying myself. I also made a vow not to buy anything until I lost a certain amount of weight. I took two trips at the end of last year after paying $16k in cc debt, student loans have been paid off since 2015, and now am paid up all my bills through April. Budget budget budget.

For anyone in NY/NJ, I am close to obtaining my license as a Financial Advisor with a reputable national firm. If you want advice or consultation don’t hesitate to contact me!

cuteNcranky

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,840 980 293
Alleybux

I think you have to adjust to the fact that life has to be lived at a slower pace when you're eliminating debt.

There is so much good advice in this thread but this one I keep thinking about over and over.

It's the idea of going back to waiting for the next paycheck before getting my nails done (or anything else that isn't a need), versus just swiping now.

stillagoodgirl

Abstinence makes his heart grow fonder.
Reaction score
Reactions
11,316 298 79
Alleybux
I buy more now when there's a sale and I use coupons like never before. I avoid splurging or trying new products. I read online reveiws for new items before I splurge.

Congrats on getting out of debt!

Argentum

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
102,157 4,570 2,026
Alleybux
Do a no-buy year (or six months). No online shopping, no new clothes etc. Just use what you have.

Or cut down on everything. Go to the library instead of buying books, do your own nails and hair instead of paying for it, go for a run outside in the park instead of paying for a gym, walk places instead of using public transport etc.

When I was on a budget I had a 'once a week rule'. I cut down all of my pleasures to once a week. Grabbing coffee at the coffee shop? Only once a week. Ordering take out food? Once a week. Spending money while out with friends? Once a week. This one forces you to be creative and come up with free things to do with your friends. Let me tell you, my savings were growing fast when I did this.

Overitall

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,948 6,762 4,422
Alleybux
I was on the fence about paying off my loan but think I’m going to go ahead and do so, even if we convert to whatever currency, their records will show I don’t owe them sh!t

snobbity

Inactive
Reaction score
Reactions
7,010 325 179
Alleybux
I’ll be done by the end of the year... I literally work as much overtime as possible, give my a small allowance so I don’t relapse and go shopping like crazy, and stay down and literally block out anything not debt repayment related. I make drinks at home and hang out with family and only talk to people who understand my goal... also remind myself that next year I can shop again. With the virus going on I have no where to go to be cute so that helps... just keep 1/2 things you like so you’re not depressed for me it’s skin care and hair care and everything else gets let go.

Last edited:

GetTheBag

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
976 20
Alleybux
Some cards offer the option to freeze spending so you can't keep building debt while you're trying to clear it. I found I was still charging stuff and not budgeting it closely because it was food, etc so while I felt I was paying a lot, I wasn't making progress. If you see it coming out of your actual money, you're more likely to be careful with what you consider essential.

Also, depending on how much debt you have, I found that saving a large chunk and paying that off all at once really helped. So as an example if I had five cards that all had £1000 on them I'd save the 1k and pay off a card in full. It felt like huge wins and I was more motivated to keep the card clear. I kept a savings account and what would have been tiny 'snowball payments' I transferred into the savings account until I hit the large amount. It was more motivating to see a number in an account growing vs the credit card balance decreasing.

In terms of staying out of debt, have a budget that allows for fun spending just not unlimited. Don't deprive yourself of getting drinks with friends if you know it's not sustainable. Sinking funds! Budget throughout the year for things like car insurance if you pay annually, vacations, etc. It gives you a great sense of security and also guilt free spending on things like hair/nails/etc if you have a beauty fund. Banks like monzo let you have those pots digitally and keep the balance of them separate to your normal account. Pause before you make a big financial decision. Come back to it later. Track your net worth - so motivating!

Seekret Squirrel

Y’all just be saying anything online…
Reaction score
Reactions
265,010 7,116 430
Alleybux
A few years ago, I went hardball to get debt free and got down to a very small student loan and no other debt.

Now. I have a remainder of that student loan, and have amassed the same amount of consumer debt as I did in student loans in total.

This is definitely a situation of living outside of my means. But i'm gonna ask advice of those who have crossed the finish line. What were your top strategies to get you over the finish line?

1. A budget!! I’m STRICT! Yes my husband was on an allowance. Yes we had arguments about it. We’re debt free. He got over it. We still have a budget to make sure all bills are covered for the month. But we have gotten so used to delayed gratification we rarely splurge and when we do it’s a discussion on should we just buy it or save for it.

2. I only use our credit card the same week one of us is getting paid so we pay it off in full immediately (we never put more on the card that we can’t pay off in full). We basically strategically use our credit cards at certain time of the month if necessary. It’s not supplemental income.

3. Keep your eyes on the goal. Let friends, family, coworkers know you’re working to get out of debt. I had friends constantly hitting me up for cash and when the sob stories would come all I had to say was “ooh girl I just dropped my last on this debt”. They’ll probably still ask but they’ll get the hint and at least start off with “I know you’re trying to get out of debt but...” lol

It’s a great feeling especially now seeing as we aren’t really stressed during this pandemic about debt. I do have student loans that are in deferment as I’m in school now but because we aren’t spending and traveling my husband advised I save the payments in our savings and when all this calms down pay it off in a lump sum while no interest is accruing.

Good luck OP. You can do it!

Seekret Squirrel

Reaction score
Reactions
265,010 7,116 430
Alleybux
One thing that helps also is to keep 'paying' a debt even after you have paid it off. When I paid off my car ($210 monthly) I opened a second saving account and paid $200 into it. I lived like I still had that loan but the money went into an account where I refused the debit card. My car is 12 years old so I know that when I need to get a new one I'm already in the mindset of paying AND there is some money in savings to get me going.

I agree with what all the others above said, especially about the mindset part. Poor is your financial state but broke is a mindset.

My mom has done this for 30+ years! Wow! It’s a sound plan.

Indigenous One

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,796 1,131 1,089
Alleybux
I'm not completely debt-free but I can breathe. I had over $43k in CC debt and I'm down to $5k. I sold my home and bought a new one that I will retire in. Neighborhood in the home I sold was going down and I took the opportunity to sell at the right time.

I'm in a better home and neighborhood and less stress because I'm not paying all the high CC debt. I can't wait until I'm completely debt-free but the key is baby steps and celebrating each step!

Good luck!

Seekret Squirrel

Reaction score
Reactions
265,010 7,116 430
Alleybux
I'm not completely debt-free but I can breathe. I had over $43k in CC debt and I'm down to $5k. I sold my home and bought a new one that I will retire in. Neighborhood in the home I sold was going down and I took the opportunity to sell at the right time.

I'm in a better home and neighborhood and less stress because I'm not paying all the high CC debt. I can't wait until I'm completely debt-free but the key is baby steps and celebrating each step!

Good luck!
Awesome! Congrats on your new home. Only $5K...you’re right at the finish line!

Neverlied

I read every word with the straight face
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
598 1 3
Alleybux

Good luck!
Wow congrats. If you don’t mind me asking, what state are you in? In my city, we can rent apartments out of these private homes. That’s a lot of money to make on the side.

Wanderlust

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,718 74 67
Alleybux
Good stuff in here. Pandemic got me ready to finally get on a plan to become debt free. Gonna follow Dave Ramsey’s plan. Working from home is going to help tons. Won’t have to spend money on food, gas, parking or train fare.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,075 89 9
Alleybux
Living below my means. My housing is about 1/3 of my take home.

I don’t buy ish I don’t need. No prime. No fast fashion. (I try not to eat out a lot but not gonna lie I sometimes it happens, but with the rona I only cook at home)

I’ve also learned not to compare myself to other people. While it may *look* like they’re living large, a lot of people don’t save. Should anything happen I’ll be ok bc I have a emergency fund I faithfully add to.

YourExpress

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,846 439 320
Alleybux
I live within my means and avoid any unnecessary spending, I’m very disciplined so this comes naturally to me

DrNurse2014

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,544 1,480 1,905
Alleybux
When I left grad school and signed onto my first NP job I attacked my debt fast.
First I paid off my car loan which was about 20k after grad school. I paid an extra 1200k every month for 12 months and it was gone.
I paid my student loans off last year, but theoretically I did so 5 years earlier than expected. While in grad school I continued to pay on them despite deferment, so I really didn’t accumulate much interest on my student loans over the years.
Lastly, I rarely use credit cards. If I do, it’s mostly to accumulate points since trips and expensive items like purses help. I immediately pay off debt every month, if it exists. This is non negotiable. If I can’t pay it off at the end of the month when I get paid, I can’t afford it.

I’m still driving the same car from when I was just a nurse at 21, and now I’m a 32 year nurse practitioner. I do like to splurge occasionally, but it’s not a habit. If I make a big purchase like a trip or new bag, I make sure to work extra shifts at the hospital. Overall. I brought home 5k after taxes pre COVID even with maxing out my 403B retirement account. Shifts at the hospital are hard to come by now because of budget issues, but I’m doing ok because I accumulated savings over the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Zahungscyn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,069 987 270
Alleybux
One of the game changers was me was practicing the 48 hours rule. If I wanted to buy something urgently, I needed to wait 48 hours and if after 48 hours I still wanted it just as badly, I could purchase it. This eliminates 90% of wanted purchases.
I also gave myself and still do give myself a monthly budget for personal spending, one for vacation, one for gifts... you get the whole picture. Budgeting is not just for recurring expenses but for periodic expenses, it forces you to be patient and look at the bigger picture.
Like everyone else said, you are going to have to say no quite often to everything, but never say no to making more money.
My final advice is to ask for raises or look for a new job. A 10 to 20% increase in salary could make a huge difference in your financial future because your earnings is your main wealth building tool.

Last edited:

ms g

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,692 365 211
Alleybux
I paid around 30-35k in less than 1 year on my loans. While I still have the student loans, I'm being very aggressive and planning to knock them out in the next 2-3 years (I had a lot!).

What I do is budget. Part of my budgeting is controlling impulse buying. If I know I want to buy something that I don't need, I put it on my wishlist or in my cart or leave it at the store for 1-3 weeks. If I feel like I still need the item after that time, then I buy it. Most often, the urge goes away. The more you can sit on not buying something, the more time you have to think about if you really want to buy it and if you can do without it.

Also, going over my statements each month helps me see where I need to curb spending or reduce my budget in another category.

Lastly, the "I deserve it" mentality. No, you don't. Far too many people spend because "I deserve it because [insert reason]." This mentality keeps people spending because they had a rough day/week/month, worked so hard, etc. Welcome to adulthood. Life can be tough. It doesn't mean you make someone else rich aka spend money to make yourself feel better. When you catch yourself (or someone else) saying "I deserve it," it's a rationalization to spend money. What you actually deserve is to keep as much of your money as you can since you worked for it.

Always remember the answer to this question. "How do rich people get rich? Other people give them money" meaning people get rich because you are buying stuff.

Edit:

Also, take care of your belongings! The better care you take of items (such as not carelessly putting away pots and pans, being aware of how you wash your clothes, sewing random holes and replacing buttons, etc) the less you have to buy new things. I see so many people talk about items being low quality when many times people handle their belongings haphazardly and get mad when it breaks or becomes unusable.

Quality does not mean buying the best or top of the line. Unless you are a billionaire, you will not be able to afford to have everything be the best, top of the line, or newest. Example: I see a lot of people buying le creuset because "it's good quality." That may be so. However, I'm sure you can buy an equally good skillet for $25 that will last a lifetime if you take care of it rather than a $120 skillet.

Lastly, savings! Many people think they're doing okay because they save money. Saving is good. However, you need to save enough. I know a few people who can save 1k or more a month, but only save $200-500 a month. Yet, these are the same people subscribing to rent the runway, buying clothes, taking multiple international trips each year, eating out regularly, buying the latest gadgets, buying/leasing new cars, changing out furniture just cause, etc. When you save, it's not about saving for IF something happens. It's about WHEN something happen because it will, and you need to have more than enough to get by.

Last edited:

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,126 3,085 528
Alleybux
When I left grad school and signed onto my first NP job I attacked my debt fast.
First I paid off my car loan which was about 20k after grad school. I paid an extra 1200k every month for 12 months and it was gone.
I paid my student loans off last year, but theoretically I did so 5 years earlier than expected. While in grad school I continued to pay on them despite deferment, so I really didn’t accumulate much interest on my student loans over the years.
Lastly, I rarely use credit cards. If I do, it’s mostly to accumulate points since trips and expensive items like purses help. I immediately pay off debt every month, if it exists. This is non negotiable. If I can’t pay it off at the end of the month when I get paid, I can’t afford it.

I’m still driving the same car from when I was just a nurse at 21, and now I’m a 32 year nurse practitioner. I do like to splurge occasionally, but it’s not a habit. If I make a big purchase like a trip or new bag, I make sure to work extra shifts at the hospital. Overall. I brought home 5k after taxes pre COVID even with maxing out my 403B retirement account. Shifts at the hospital are hard to come by now because of budget issues, but I’m doing ok because I accumulated savings over the past 10 years.
what type of car or brand was your car?

DrNurse2014

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,544 1,480 1,905
Alleybux
really... They last that long? Or you got a really good mechanic?

I barely have over 100k miles on my car right now. My job is 20 minutes away and every place I frequent is about 15 minutes away from where I live. I have spent a few thousands on repairs along with routine maintenance over the years, but it’s still drives pretty well. I’m driving it until the wheels fall off.

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,126 3,085 528
Alleybux
I barely have over 100k miles on my car right now. My job is 20 minutes away and every place I frequent is about 15 minutes away from where I live. I have spent a few thousands on repairs along with routine maintenance over the years, but it’s still drives pretty well. I’m driving it until the wheels fall off.
yasss bish!!! Love it. Okay i will keep this brand in mind. I like the new malibu. Still civic is a front runner for me. Then for cheap i like a nissan sentra.

Okay. Got me thinking

DrNurse2014

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,544 1,480 1,905
Alleybux
yasss bish!!! Love it. Okay i will keep this brand in mind. I like the new malibu. Still civic is a front runner for me. Then for cheap i like a nissan sentra.

Okay. Got me thinking

Yes! Don’t let your car be a financial burden. The luxury of having no car payments for the past 9 years has been a dream.

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,306 3,163 1,231
Alleybux
Lately, I have been obsessed with saving money, building income, paying off debts, just all things personal finance. I love breaking down my weekly budget to see how much money I can throw to savings, clearing my student loans, and paying regular expenses. It's so satisfying.