Quantcast

Depression and Maladaptive Daydreaming

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,200 494,919 222,840
Alleybux
Does anyone else struggle with MD? Incog is available. If you're not familiar, here's a link that summarizes it: http://www.medicaldaily.com/maladaptive-daydreaming-what-it-247629

The dreams are becoming increasingly more long and involuntary each day. It's really getting in the way of me being productive too. For instance, I'll be in the middle of studying for a very important exam and my focus is broken by one of my usual daydreams. I can't help it though, I hate my reality so much that the dreaming is a coping mechanism. I hate my job, I'm in school studying something I'm not very comfortable with, but I want to impress my parents (who don't see any value in me unless I work towards a "prestigious" career). I don't really have any friends, no SO, all my energy goes to school and work, I am constantly stressed out and anxious. Nothing in this world fulfills me. What I really want is to feel like someone in this world actually gives a damn about me. I just feel so unloved and don't see the point in anything anymore. To escape it all, I dream...particularly about this one guy that I really like. We were briefly seeing each other last year, but due to unfortunate circumstances, we never got to develop a relationship and I don't see or talk to him anymore. The problem is, I think about him all the time in the most idealized way and he has been the main "character" in my daily daydreams for almost a YEAR now. It's very pitiful, and I wish I could stop it, but the idea of finding true love really keeps me going in this world. I'm beginning to doubt it even exists.

I understand that I need counseling, but I just wanted to see if I could get some comfort here. Can anyone at least relate?

rollerboogie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
119,553 14,142 887
Alleybux
Yeah. I used to daydream a lot or just zone out but now I try to busy my thoughts on goals I am trying to achieve during the day. I also listen to this YouTube video by easy calm called instant tranquillity. It helps me with visualization of positive change.

wussupdoc

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,166 117 4
Alleybux
I've done this for as long as I can remember. It's really the cause of all of my procrastination. Even though it gets in the way, I never felt that I needed counseling. It's my form of escapism.

TaylorSwift

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
438 32 27
Alleybux
Yes!! I've struggled with it since I was a kid.

Raveena

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,146 19 21
Alleybux
I have and currently am going through the exact same thing off and on for years. This is my coping mechanism since childhood probably because I was too young to know how to do anything else. I think what helps me is expressing what I've held in for years to a therapist or someone who won't judge me or worry over me. You need to get to the root and share to someone what is causing you to engage in this behavior. You have the power to change and it seems like you are on your way to resolving this.

MissMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,691 120 21
Alleybux
Yes I can relate. I used to daydream intensively when I was a teenager. I would usually pace while doing so and sometimes for long periods of time. Like you said, I believe it was a coping mechanism for depression and PTSD. I got therapy and I got on medication and things gradually got better for me. I also believe that meditating was a great help for me if you want to look into that. People Who Meditate Tune Out Daydreams

I still daydream. I think a little daydreaming is good but it's not as bad as it was to the point where it interferes with my life. Good luck. I hope things work out for you.

It Girl

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
43,632 1,042 574
Alleybux
Yes!! I've struggled with it since I was a kid.

Same here. It started when I was about 12. I'm not sure what triggered it but I've dealt with it all my life.

OP if it is hindering productivity you should look into it. I don't daydream as frequently as I used to- usually only at night or during a car ride. But it's not hurting anyone so I'm not beating myself up about it. There are far worse psychological issues to have.

Midnite_Marsala

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,675 137 11
Alleybux
Yep.

But I've been doing good at keeping it in its place.

I think since I'm conscious of it, staying busy helps and being around ppl helps.

It forces me to be "present".

If that makes sense.

I hate tapatalk

frogy

Reaction score
Reactions
38,719 1,817 1,340
Alleybux
i get you op. day dreaming and music are the only things keeping me sane and i depend on both way too much

kookie56

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
310 18
Alleybux
Wow....I can't believe there's a term for it. I've been doing this since I was in 7th grade. I have found that I do it more frequently when I listen to music, when I'm sad or disappointed in things that were going on in my life.

Juny.B.Jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
289,391 8,018 6,614
Alleybux
I used to do this for years too.
Like many of you it was a form of a coping mechanism. When I'm busy I have no need to do it so I just make sure I don't have lots of idle time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x0ashley

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,640 41 15
Alleybux
I kinda feel the same way, only I do it when I'm bored at home and I pace as well. It doesn't interfere with my life, but I will look at these links.

GRAYven Symone

of Avian Descent
Reaction score
Reactions
16,050 265 106
Alleybux
You have Inattentive ADHD (and possibly avoidant personality disorder). Trust me.

MD is relatively new so there's not much out on appropriate treatment, but I honestly think it's where IADHD and APD meet. I have/had the same issues and do/did the saamee thing. It's hard and annoying and can take over your life if you're not careful.

You can PM me if you're comfortable. No judgement :)

yonipearl

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,005 21 1
Alleybux
I think it's a coping mechanism for me. It started about 3 years ago (maybe longer). I know the root of it. As long as it's not affecting my day to day life. I don't have a problem with it. However, I do really wish these daydreams were my real life.

readysetgo303

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
335 2 1
Alleybux
Wow....I can't believe there's a term for it. I've been doing this since I was in 7th grade. I have found that I do it more frequently when I listen to music, when I'm sad or disappointed in things that were going on in my life.

Yea I'm like damn this is me. sh!t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,200 494,919 222,840
Alleybux
You have Inattentive ADHD (and possibly avoidant personality disorder). Trust me.

MD is relatively new so there's not much out on appropriate treatment, but I honestly think it's where IADHD and APD meet. I have/had the same issues and do/did the saamee thing. It's hard and annoying and can take over your life if you're not careful.

You read me like a book just now. I looked up both disorders you mentioned and I'm embarrassed to admit I fit their descriptions to a tee. Especially avoidant personality disorder. I am very socially maladjusted and I'd rather be by myself than feel even the slightest bit bad/anxious around others. I'm not surprised that fantasizing about idealized relationships with others was one of the signs. It's kind of ironic how my delusion is a result of my hyperrealistic perception of society. I know me or certain people will never be as perfect as I dream them to me, and that's what really hurts me, so I have fabricated an entire alternate world in my head that beats this sh!t called reality. Sometimes I catch myself physically acting out my daydreams, reaching out to people I know aren't there, muttering things in response to what they "say". It's so embarrassing. Sorry I'm still incog, I can't bring myself to reveal my font. A bit silly for me to be so ashamed considering I'm not an active poster on here. Thank you so much for your response though. It brought me a bit closer to understanding myself and getting the help I need. I wish you luck in your journey to wellness as well.

XOXODeDe

Let Me See Them Teeth
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
77,648 3,246 2,124
Alleybux

I agree. I have BOTH as well. If you decide to take Addy - it will definitely help. But, I must warn it's addictive. :(

MANDRAGOLA

N’Jobu’s Daughter
Reaction score
Reactions
5,279 54 80
Alleybux

Same!
OMG, I need to look into this.

Debacle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,000 1,180 164
Alleybux
Yeah, I like "write stories" in my mind and tiredly try to have them play out. I had no idea that there was a name for this.
I definitely started when I was younger. I hated my school and life situation so I've used it as a coping mechanism and escape.

It's gotten to the point of being pretty unhelpful the past 3 years.
When I go into daydreaming these stories keep on failing or jam so I repetitively try to reboot them. The same thing happens again and nothing comes out of it. The cycle continues until I just give up.
Thing is, I'm usually not apart of them nor are people who I know. It just feels weird now... But I do know when I was younger, I did kind of involve myself and maybe someone that I thought was super cool. These days maybe it's with the same characters from some sort of media that I liked because I cringe at me being present or even existing. Usually it's a romance or dating scenario. It can go for months and years on end or until I get bored with them and move on. Also, I can't ever seem to put the stories on paper. These stories turn out to be sh!t and the same thing. Such a waste of time and brain energy. I think I'm so much to the point of mental exhaustion that I don't bother to do it much anymore.

Justme00

General Manager
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
560 125 43
Alleybux
I have MD/not depression though and I'm functional.

StarrLove

Insatiable
Reaction score
Reactions
3,641 463 64
Alleybux
I have MD/not depression though and I'm functional.

So am I. Ppl with MD usually make great writers though which I am working on, becoming a full time author. I used to suffer from depression really bad but it's something I'm overcoming by the grace of God. I used to fear my MD, thinking I was a mental nutcase but it is nothing but an overactive imagination that fosters my creativity.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,147 255 189
Alleybux
Are you me?!! Yes, I am dealing with this for over 2 years after I met this random guy. I don't even want him, I just like the fantasy of him in my head.

GRAYven Symone

of Avian Descent
Reaction score
Reactions
16,050 265 106
Alleybux
You read me like a book just now. I looked up both disorders you mentioned and I'm embarrassed to admit I fit their descriptions to a tee. Especially avoidant personality disorder. I am very socially maladjusted and I'd rather be by myself than feel even the slightest bit bad/anxious around others. I'm not surprised that fantasizing about idealized relationships with others was one of the signs. It's kind of ironic how my delusion is a result of my hyperrealistic perception of society. I know me or certain people will never be as perfect as I dream them to me, and that's what really hurts me, so I have fabricated an entire alternate world in my head that beats this sh!t called reality. Sometimes I catch myself physically acting out my daydreams, reaching out to people I know aren't there, muttering things in response to what they "say". It's so embarrassing. Sorry I'm still incog, I can't bring myself to reveal my font. A bit silly for me to be so ashamed considering I'm not an active poster on here. Thank you so much for your response though. It brought me a bit closer to understanding myself and getting the help I need. I wish you luck in your journey to wellness as well.
I've had both my entire life and it's rough. I do the same things, too. If you can, seek a good therapist; mine got me to connect the dots and really understand myself. At this point I can pretty much keep the daydreaming for right before bed (or a nap lol), which is doable.

And don't feel bad about staying on anon, APD will have you anxious/scared af to do literally everything and anything. Technically everyone's anonymous on an internet form. Last year I would have done the same thing, but at this point I really don't care. If some font wants to drag me for being honest and trying to help someone out, oh well. I'll live.

Seriously if you ever wanna shoot me a pm feel free (even though you're probably scared that idk I'll be annoyed? Weirded out? Send screenshots to your friends and family? lol) I won't!

GRAYven Symone

of Avian Descent
Reaction score
Reactions
16,050 265 106
Alleybux
Yeah, I like "write stories" in my mind and tiredly try to have them play out. I had no idea that there was a name for this.
I definitely started when I was younger. I hated my school and life situation so I've used it as a coping mechanism and escape.

It's gotten to the point of being pretty unhelpful the past 3 years.
When I go into daydreaming these stories keep on failing or jam so I repetitively try to reboot them. The same thing happens again and nothing comes out of it. The cycle continues until I just give up.
Thing is, I'm usually not apart of them nor are people who I know. It just feels weird now... But I do know when I was younger, I did kind of involve myself and maybe someone that I thought was super cool. These days maybe it's with the same characters from some sort of media that I liked because I cringe at me being present or even existing. Usually it's a romance or dating scenario. It can go for months and years on end or until I get bored with them and move on. Also, I can't ever seem to put the stories on paper. These stories turn out to be sh!t and the same thing. Such a waste of time and brain energy. I think I'm so much to the point of mental exhaustion that I don't bother to do it much anymore.

yoooo this adventure time gif summed the reasoning for this up for me:

adventure-time-bmo-cartoon-network-cute-Favim.com-1542376.gif

Sometimes I wish my life was exactly like my dreams, but life isn't meant to be predictable. My stories always fizzle out at the same place because honestly, it's boring af deciding exactly what's gonna happen and being omniscient. The unknowns tat make me anxious and unsure are what also give my life meaning. That's my take on it. For now lol

News Alley

General Alley

Top Bottom