Quantcast

Despite Being Advised Not To, Miss DC Cierra Jackson Kept Her Hair Natural for the Miss America Pageant

herbalmintea

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
171,787 7,962 1,970
Alleybux
Miss America contestant Cierra Jackson was advised by many not to rock her natural hair on stage, but she did so anyway. The Spelman College graduate won the competition’s swimsuit segment, but lost out on the crown. Even so, she has no regrets.

image.jpeg

“I’ve had so many people tell me that I shouldn’t wear my hair naturally curly on stage, but there is a purpose behind that vision,” she said during a Ledger-Enquirer interview. “It’s to show people that you can still be successful, you can still be amazingly talented and still reach all of your goals. I think that’s a universal message that anyone can grab on to and hold on to in their lives… I’ve been so blessed that the Miss District of Columbia Board has been so open to allowing me to express myself in that way and embraced me choosing to present myself in an authentic way… I know that it happened this way because God destined it to be this way.”

image-1.jpeg

Cierr Jackson singing “Natural Woman” during the talent portion of the Miss America Pageant.

Some believe that if Jackson wore her hair straight, she would have gotten closer to winning the crown. That may be true, but what the naysayers fail to realize is that Jackson knocked down a wall the night of the pageant. She also opened the door for other women with kinks and curls to be just as naturally beautiful as she was. Jackson may not have won the crown, but she certainly won many hearts.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/0...er-hair-natural-for-the-miss-america-pageant/

Shhhs

LyingDimwit
Reaction score
Reactions
687 22 9
Alleybux
She did a wonderful thing. This is how we start to change culture.

Also, culture is often transmitted by women. So when we start letting ourselves be represented by women w/different hair, eventually the men will follow.

ImSoFcknBad

Atp i dnt even ? BS anymore. I just enjoy the show
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
9,655 845 414
Alleybux
Good for her, I'm sure her confidence is gonna bring her alot of success in life.

Anyone that wpuld advice you to not unapologetically and wholeheartedly embrace yourself and your NATURAL BEAUTY doesn't respect you, or love you, or appreciate you, or have your best interests at heart.

We need more black men and women like her.

Also, dammmmmmmm she's gorgeous. Shame on the people that tried to convince her to deny and conceal that beauty.

And she song natural woman!!
She gets a trillion points for that. sh!t. She was flexing on'em at that point. She was like in your face muthafuccas how you like me now. I LOVE IT! SHE'S BOASTFULLY BLACK. I KNOW SHE HAD THEM NEANDERTHALS ALL IN THEIR FEELINGS ON THAT NIGHT.

SHE'S THE REAL WINNER IN MY EYES.

sevenof8

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
144,064 3,874 1,557
Alleybux
Miss America contestant Cierra Jackson was advised by many not to rock her natural hair on stage, but she did so anyway....
image-1.jpeg

Cierr Jackson singing “Natural Woman” during the talent portion of the Miss America Pageant.

Some believe that if Jackson wore her hair straight, she would have gotten closer to winning the crown. That may be true, but what the naysayers fail to realize is that Jackson knocked down a wall the night of the pageant. She also opened the door for other women with kinks and curls to be just as naturally beautiful as she was. Jackson may not have won the crown, but she certainly won many hearts.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/0...er-hair-natural-for-the-miss-america-pageant/

I find it absolutely outrageous that we have allowed the dominating oppressive group to continue to try to yield their influence. I honestly don't find straight hair appealing and to imply or openly suggest that the only way a woman of African descent can be seen as beautiful is by altering her natural self is just outrageous to me. Every day I fight to dismantle a system that exists to attack our hair, bodies, looks, and our psyche. Bravo to her for standing up to their Eurocentric ideologies and trying to ram it down our throats.

Gr8atthis

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,881 191 57
Alleybux
This is how change starts. I love it and i love her for it.