Quantcast

Diane Keaton, 68, Wishes She Had Bought A Man & Gotten Married Even Without Being In Love

oldstreet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,591 1,561 152
Alleybux
Diane Keaton Wishes She Were Married, Says She Tried To Make Al Pacino Her Main Man

article-0-125B802D000005DC-316_224x423.jpg
AP780913012.jpg

The Huffington Post | by Liat Kornowski

Posted: 04/24/2014 5:05 pm EDT Updated: 04/25/2014 8:59 am EDT

Diane Keaton has been romantically linked to Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and Sam Shepard in her long and prosperous life, but she has never married. At 68, she tells People magazine, she kind of wishes she had.

"It's not the worst tragedy. But I really wish I had bought myself a man! A good man who would be a great father, I really do. I think it's a better way to go," the Oscar-winning actress told the magazine. Pondering why she never settled down, Keaton said, "I think I was not practical. I had some insane idea that I had to be 'in love.' Now I see what it really takes: real consideration that you're a good team together."

The mother of two (Keaton has a daughter, 18, and a son, 13) made similar comments to More in her May cover story. "I told myself I wanted to, but I didn’t really want a man that I could have. I wanted the dream," she said of marriage.

But to People magazine, Keaton admits there was one man whom she considered tying the knot with: Al Pacino. "He was even less inclined to be realistic than me," she explained as to why that never worked out. "And I was on the cusp of being very old. So that poor guy. I don't think he was really that interested. And I don't think a long-term happy marriage would be easy for him."

Though she's currently making the media circuit to promote her new book "Let's Just Say It Wasn't Pretty," out April 29, this isn't the first time Keaton has voiced her desire for a life partner.

In in interview with AARP in 2012, Keaton spoke about being a single mother. "As a parent I provide all I can," she said, "but I think in the best possible scenario you need to have a man."

"Relationships are hard. You’re lucky if you find someone," she added, according to the Daily Mail.

Susurrus

Not The Kraken
Reaction score
Reactions
12,422 54 23
Alleybux
She sounds so desperate and bitter about getting old lately. I read another article where she says she has pics of all of the men she's dated on her wall to remind her of what she once had. And she looks at Sam Sheperd's pic every single day. That's just tragic to have so many regrets at her age.

John Prester

Effete Side Eyes For All
Reaction score
Reactions
15,686 19 32
Alleybux
Men have been doing this for ages. As women get more money and clout in society, options like that will become more available to them as well. A man for the babies and a 'misteress' to blow your back out in that freak nasty way you like :laugh:.

Diane's only crime was being born too early :cry:.

Keane

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,616 429 516
Alleybux
Should've expanded her dating pool. Everyone knows white boys ain't about sh!t.

A brother would've treated you right Diane!

jcap

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
703 16 25
Alleybux
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0&feature=kp"]Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River - YouTube[/ame]

#sorrynotsorry

EbonyMan

proud anal rapist
Reaction score
Reactions
3,370 4 14
Alleybux
Unfortunately, Diane bought into Hollywood's big lie: that marriage will cause you to be unhappy. Marriage is not a feeling, it is a choice and a commitment to stay true to that choice. It is no wonder that these people can't stay married; they're too much in a fantasy land!

Break Baby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,847 521 53
Alleybux
I remember an older interview where Diane Keaton was asked why she never married. She said, "Because no one ever asked me."

Damn! Not one of all of those famous Hollywood stars she dated proposed? All of them speak highly of her and she's still friends with them but not one of them stepped up? Diane is that chick? Terrible. She's made her mark and raised her kids so she did well for herself.

dianiah23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,917 739 138
Alleybux
I don't feel sorry for her at all...She can still have a man...She just has to widen her horizons...plenty of black or hispanic or asian men 50 and older who would be happy to make her acquaintance!

canadiangirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,706 1,364 1,174
Alleybux
I remember an older interview where Diane Keaton was asked why she never married. She said, "Because no one ever asked me."

Damn! Not one of all of those famous Hollywood stars she dated proposed? All of them speak highly of her and she's still friends with them but not one of them stepped up? Diane is that chick? Terrible. She's made her mark and raised her kids so she did well for herself.

Damn that just made me sad! For some reason I can't see myself getting marrid for the same reasons :disapointed:

LuvMJ1978

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,002 49 38
Alleybux
All this time I thought she was married, or at least married before. It takes courage to admit what she admitted, and I think more older (never married) women should be upfront about wanting marriage-to talk to younger women about regrets, or not. I've mentioned before some women I know were married to their careers (nothing wrong with that) but now in their 60s they wished they taken a chance at marriage.

I was surrounded by married women, so perhaps that is what shaped my opinion on it, ie wanting to settle down with a good man (which thankfully to God I did, not everyone gets that) This is why I try talk to younger women-who may thumb their nose at marriage now, but trust and believe when you hit a certain age, the idea of a husband starts to look very good.

BTW, I don't necessarily agree with the whole buying of a man for the sake of having a husband, but from the looks of it, she (Diane) was with commitment challenged men. She's 68, not dead, she can still marry a nice man. One of my former coworkers just got married almost 2 years ago at the age of 64 for the first time, he had no kids either, his wife is in her late 50's widowed I believe with kids and grand kids, so it can happen.

Carrie Grant

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,644 486 215
Alleybux
I always thought her relationship with Pacino was interesting. I'd like to know more about it, but I feel like niether one of them will talk further. They dated through the making of the 1st Godfather film (which I thought was interesting, since on film they have NO chemistry, not even an inkling of anything--but that could have just been very good acting for the parts), but here is an interview she did on Oprah about Al....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfvnzKUWKoY"]Diane Keaton on her leading man 2006 - YouTube[/ame]

TooMuchTime

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33 1
Alleybux
She seems kinda superficial. Feminist type wanting the alpha guy...THE best looking in the room.

It is sad that she has these regrets. I don't think anyone should regret something specific and trivial like that. People should regret not making a difference, no matter how small...or being a horrible person...

Ziv

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
734 17 27
Alleybux
Unfortunately, Diane bought into Hollywood's big lie: that marriage will cause you to be unhappy. Marriage is not a feeling, it is a choice and a commitment to stay true to that choice. It is no wonder that these people can't stay married; they're too much in a fantasy land!

Marriage - in Hollywood or elsewhere - doesn't "cause" anyone to be unhappy or happy. It's about personality type and desire to. If she was really dying to get married, she would have. She still could, but she doesn't have to.

People who marry lose out on certain things about the single life and people who remain single lose out on certain things about the married life.

Unless someone is completely committed to getting married, I don't see doing it (unless some of the reason is to legally protect the kids). It's not for everyone, especially people who are only into the "idea" of it, like Diane. Maybe instead of getting married and divorced several times, Diane chose not to get married at all.

Sleeping_Cutie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,328 82 39
Alleybux
I always thought her relationship with Pacino was interesting. I'd like to know more about it, but I feel like niether one of them will talk further. They dated through the making of the 1st Godfather film (which I thought was interesting, since on film they have NO chemistry, not even an inkling of anything--but that could have just been very good acting for the parts), but here is an interview she did on Oprah about Al....

Diane Keaton on her leading man 2006 - YouTube

That interview was a little cringe-worthy.

sade

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
144,659 7,683 10,557
Alleybux
Diane Keaton Wishes She Were Married, Says She Tried To Make Al Pacino Her Main Man

article-0-125B802D000005DC-316_224x423.jpg
AP780913012.jpg

The Huffington Post | by Liat Kornowski

Posted: 04/24/2014 5:05 pm EDT Updated: 04/25/2014 8:59 am EDT

Why is everybody sooo negative, she is keeping 1,000 and being honest

"I think I was not practical. I had some insane idea that I had to be 'in love.' Now I see what it really takes: real consideration that you're a good team together."

YESSS to that Quote my parents have been married for over 30 years and they are PRACTICAL as you can get. Neither wears a weeding ring. They were both lost at one time or another...but it dosen't matter if YOUR MARRIED YOUR MARRIED a ring is just that a ring. Sometimes they even celebrate their anniversary the week after because they either forgot or were doing something else lol. Its about COMMITMENT to that PERSON

Disclosure

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,444 2,162 673
Alleybux
Lol, you ain't sh!t. :rose-dead: I was expecting more sympathetic responses. I've realized on here, when it comes to a celeb we go in. But when it's more of a personal thread, either we're understanding or we're ruthless. But cry me a river tho? :cry: She can still get married, I don't know why she's complaining.

Disclosure

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,444 2,162 673
Alleybux
She seems kinda superficial. Feminist type wanting the alpha guy...THE best looking in the room.

It is sad that she has these regrets. I don't think anyone should regret something specific and trivial like that. People should regret not making a difference, no matter how small...or being a horrible person...
Lol, girl. Don't say that. I've seen people get dragged over that. :laugh: But yeah, I feel for her. But at the same damn time, she can find a man. No one, is undatable. Even if you think you'll be "forever alone.":eyeroll:

Pressley

Consciousness Over Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
482,474 14,132 13,199
Alleybux
She's got a point. Seriously. I think we're taught as women that we need to have that head over heels crazy type love but love comes in many forms. Crazy in love can make people do really foolish things honestly. I also realize though that marriage isn't for everyone. I can imagine when you get her age though it's all about companionship.

MambaForeva

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
293,939 9,825 4,003
Alleybux
I don't really care for marriage. Looks and sounds like you have to put up with too much sh!t especially if you are the woman. Having biological kids is my big thing.

If I do marry someone though it will be out of love, but I won't be afraid to divorce dude either when boundaries are crossed or we grow out of love with each other. Either way all I ask at this point is to pop out some babies in my lifetime.

DDelgado2000

Just here to watch the sh!tshow
Reaction score
Reactions
12,759 144 26
Alleybux
Young Al Pacino was hot. Al Pacino as Serpico was damn hot:

Too many woman of a certain generation bought into the fairytale thing.

Way to Love

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
341,636 8,494 1,880
Alleybux
so no one's picked up on the fact that it seems she being kind of facetious?

Diane Keaton on her leading man 2006 - YouTube

i'm definitely going to watch Something's Gotta Give again. its one of my fave's

Phyllis7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,754 35 18
Alleybux
Diane, starred in a flim called, Something's Got to Give. Her character picked Jack Nicholson OVER Keanu Reeves! She's still making bad choices.
smile.png

Peanut Gallery

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,186 3,531 953
Alleybux
I was listening to this on NPR earlier and it was the TRUTH. The speaker talked about how in modern ties we are looking for EVERYTHING in our spouses, things that were done by the village. We want the to be protectors, providers, best friend, mysterious. We want something steady, we want freedom, we want love, we want xes, we want good xes. Just listen!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa0RUmGTCYY"]Esther Perel: The secret to desire in a long-term relationship - YouTube[/ame]

Gets good around the 2-3:00 mark.

SadSadSong

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,024 4,981 3,648
Alleybux
I don't disagree with her, somedays I feel like that too. Eff love, I just need companionship lol.

Lilly Ghalichi

Ничего не страшно
Reaction score
Reactions
294,666 13,168 8,519
Alleybux
Al was fine back in the day

Exactly that's why she couldn't land that . Duane Keaton was hottest in father of the bride. Look at first wives club Goldie hawn & the divine miss m made her nonexistent as a woman. I think she's great playing her arts though but she's not a looker.