Quantcast

Did ALT Have an Alleged History of Sabotaging Other Black People in Fashion? Why is the Usually Vocal and Protective Black Fashion Elite Silent?

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux
~ When I was a fledgling PR Intern, many of my mentors were gay Black men who lived through the protests of the late 60s, the parties of the 70s, the AIDS epidemic of the 80s, New York's creativity and resurgence of the 90s, and the financial upheaval of the 00s.

~ Many have passed on, but they left stories I treasure

~ A certain fashion director is trying to re-write history because he knows many of the Black people who lived it with him are dead, but his self-hate and alleged sabotage of other Black folks in and around his orbit was legendary

~ This is a man who allegedly didn't want/like Black drivers via his car service and would allegedly "send them back" and demand dispatch send non-Black drivers

~ When a Black design assistant (regardless of being Black American, Caribbean, or of African descent) would enter his orbit, he'd either ignore them, or attack their work while praising white women high to the sky

~ That's why he fell out with the Icon of Prep in the 90s when many of the designs were spearheaded by a Black male/female design duo who brought freshness (and millions) to the brand

~ You know who allegedly asked the Icon of Prep why he was "Allowing 'those two' to design for 'Drug Dealers?"

(They now own a small stake in the company which is rare.)

~ As seen lately, when a Black editor would start at the magazine, he'd basically ignore them or openly attack their work in meetings. No one knew if it was because he was directed to or was showing his "loyalty" as a minion

~ Black editors were non-existent there by design and the magazine has floundered for it, but he loved being the "only-only" and now it bit him in the azz

~ There's a reason Mr. A "tolerated" this man in exchange for American press, and even as a white man, Mr. L hated you-know-who's overt racism in Paris

~ Ask why not ONE Black person working in fashion (including Mrs. H who still rings bells, Mrs. B who's got the money and connections, or Mr. B. who has the memories) have come out to defend this man?

kris_517

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
368,815 5,350 1,216
Alleybux
I could see this and sad as it is.

ETA: Someone slide into the good sis messages and identify the following:
(including Mrs. H who still rings bells, Mrs. B who's got the money and connections, or Mr. B. who has the memories) have come out to defend this man?

Last edited:

EchoLake

shimmering
Reaction score
Reactions
174,934 4,294 2,758
Alleybux
He's been kicked to the curb, so speaking up now is 100% out of bitterness rather than to help any other black people.

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux

(including Mrs. H who still rings bells, Mrs. B who's got the money and connections, or Mr. B. who has the memories) have come out to defend this man?

Mrs. H is close to the Icon of Prep and often speaks out on racism in modeling. She also has a son who played one of the main characters on a beloved 90s sitcom

Mrs. B is the wife of recently deceased "Rock Royalty" who's an icon herself in her chosen profession and a true business woman

Mr. B is a Black designer who went through the fire in the fashion industry and is a talent all young Black designers should use as a sounding board on how to navigate fashion industry racism

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,903 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
Mrs. H is close to the Icon of Prep and often speaks out on racism in modeling. She also has a son who played one of the main characters on a beloved 90s sitcom

Mrs. B is the wife of recently deceased "Rock Royalty" who's an icon herself in her chosen profession and a true business woman

Mr. B is a Black designer who went through the fire in the fashion industry and is a talent all young Black designers should use as a sounding board on how to navigate fashion industry racism
Mrs. B has to be Iman.

I don't know who Mrs. H and Mr. B are.

Looks like ALT is getting his comeuppance (and karma).

NY_Mami

Not Desus DAMMIT!
Reaction score
Reactions
465,387 8,909 2,622
Alleybux

I know who all three are....

kris_517

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
368,815 5,350 1,216
Alleybux

I got it now. I'm embarrassed I didn't get the first one right away. Thanks.

croc stiletto

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,316 78 29
Alleybux
It's complicated but Zandile Blay said it perfectly a couple months ago:

zandileblay

Quiet as it’s kept, some of us have the privilege of being broke & evicted in peace & privacy because our brown-nosing didn’t get us a big enough seat at the table to be targeted by major press outlets - but anyway I digress...

I don’t know this man.‍♀️ But, Sorry to this man. So very sorry to this man.

He may have held his seat at the table with an iron grip and allegedly never helped a “brother” or “sister” out.

But still.

At 72, his existence in the space - and persistence in that existence means Talley crawled so career tokens like me could walk. He shucked so overdressed southern fashionistas in the industry could jive. He put on airs so all social climbers from all tribes could fly.

Nah. He likely never did it for “us.” But Darling! As muse, editor & footstool to all the great white ladies (from Grace Mirabella to Diane Vreeland to his coldest Wintour ever!) this man did it first and best enough to emerge as theeee global archetype of FASH-ON! And did so being too fat, too black, too gauche.

I hear the laughter at his demise. But I see no roses for his rise.

Gag! Because today’s overblown, overdressed, overeasy social media fashionistas have André Leon Talley to thank for their chunky styling and thin personas. These fashion royals have no bloodline - but Talley is the father!

A bad father - yes.
A neglectful father - yes.
A father who’d rather chase white women than tend to his black,brown and mixed babies - yes.

But how many of us have Daddies like this in real life? Maybe it’s just my trauma. But I’ve grown a soft spot for deadbeats with rich delusions and poor priorities.

So in between our private chuckles and keke’s on Leon’s latest humiliation
(there have been so many ) it would be so human and humane to take a second to have a little respect...

Respect for an elder
Respect for revenge
Respect for failure
Respect for loneliness
Respect for friendlessness
Respect for lovelessness
Respect for shallowness
Respect for pain
Respect for imperfect bodies
Respect for imperfect paths
Respect for the table
Respect for the seat
Respect for hypocrites

Respectfully.
Happy Fashion Week!
Happy Black History Month!

NY_Mami

Not Desus DAMMIT!
Reaction score
Reactions
465,387 8,909 2,622
Alleybux

zandileblay

Quiet as it’s kept, some of us have the privilege of being broke & evicted in peace & privacy because our brown-nosing didn’t get us a big enough seat at the table to be targeted by major press outlets - but anyway I digress...

He may have held his seat at the table with an iron grip and allegedly never helped a “brother” or “sister” out.

But still.

At 72, his existence in the space - and persistence in that existence means Talley crawled so career tokens like me could walk. He shucked so overdressed southern fashionistas in the industry could jive. He put on airs so all social climbers from all tribes could fly.

Nah. He likely never did it for “us.” But Darling! As muse, editor & footstool to all the great white ladies (from Grace Mirabella to Diane Vreeland to his coldest Wintour ever!) this man did it first and best enough to emerge as theeee global archetype of FASH-ON! And did so being too fat, too black, too gauche.

Gag! Because today’s overblown, overdressed, overeasy social media fashionistas have André Leon Talley to thank for their chunky styling and thin personas. These fashion royals have no bloodline - but Talley is the father!

A bad father - yes.
A father who’d rather chase white women than tend to his black,brown and mixed babies - yes.

But how many of us have Daddies like this in real life? Maybe it’s just my trauma. But I’ve grown a soft spot for deadbeats with rich delusions and poor priorities.

(there have been so many ) it would be so human and humane to take a second to have a little respect...

Respect for an elder
Respect for revenge
Respect for failure
Respect for loneliness
Respect for lovelessness
Respect for shallowness
Respect for pain
Respect for the table
Respect for the seat
Respect for hypocrites

Respectfully.
Happy Fashion Week!

This is the central conflict with the relationship of the Black Fashion Circle and Andre.... it is truly the Broken Home of Fashion.... everyone still heavily reveres ALT... but also not afraid to call him out on his sh!t....

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux

zandileblay

But still.

A bad father - yes.

Respect for an elder
Respect for revenge
Respect for failure
Respect for loneliness
Respect for lovelessness
Respect for shallowness
Respect for pain
Respect for the table
Respect for the seat
Respect for hypocrites

Respectfully.
Happy Fashion Week!

Well said.

(Eloquent and bears repeating. Thank you!)

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux
I got it now. I'm embarrassed I didn't get the first one right away. Thanks.

They're literal elders we don't often think of daily, but they paved the way for everyone Black working worldwide in fashion today.

There are so many others to name who never allowed themselves to be marginalized and never compromised themselves just for a "seat at a table" and a plate full of crumbs.

I wish they'd tell us what they saw over the years, but their dignified silence in this matter speaks volumes.

kris_517

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
368,815 5,350 1,216
Alleybux

zandileblay

But still.

A bad father - yes.

Respect for an elder
Respect for revenge
Respect for failure
Respect for loneliness
Respect for lovelessness
Respect for shallowness
Respect for pain
Respect for the table
Respect for the seat
Respect for hypocrites

Respectfully.
Happy Fashion Week!
Zandile is a savage.

wonderstar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,784 1,941 1,504
Alleybux

zandileblay

But still.

A bad father - yes.

Respect for an elder
Respect for revenge
Respect for failure
Respect for loneliness
Respect for lovelessness
Respect for shallowness
Respect for pain
Respect for the table
Respect for the seat
Respect for hypocrites

Respectfully.
Happy Fashion Week!

Thank you for posting this. She is a great writer, will check her out.

wonderstar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,784 1,941 1,504
Alleybux

Another clue for Mr B, please loool

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux
Thank you, and I would have totally never got that lol x

It's always interesting when someone is in the same orbit, same background but don't have the same friends or even talk to each other.

The way the fashion establishment would have us see it, ALT was the "icon" with all his well-heeled buffoonery and Mr. B (who while not perfect but would tell those racists editors where they could go) is often forgotten.

What's really telling is what the families/friends of Patrick Kelly and Willi Smith have to say about ALT and other Black designers that were allegedly "barred" from the magazine.

("Too Black & Too Proud" are indeed an issue when you're dealing with the racist nature of a fashion industry.)

kris_517

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
368,815 5,350 1,216
Alleybux
It's always interesting when someone is in the same orbit, same background but don't have the same friends or even talk to each other.

The way the fashion establishment would have us see it, ALT was the "icon" with all his well-heeled buffoonery and Mr. B (who while not perfect but would tell those racists editors where they could go) is often forgotten.

What's really telling is what the families/friends of Patrick Kelly and Willi Smith have to say about ALT and other Black designers that were allegedly "barred" from the magazine.

("Too Black & Too Proud" are indeed an issue when you're dealing with the racist nature of a fashion industry.)
I thought about Willi and to a lesser extent Tookie. When I read about his antics because they appear firm in their blackness.

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux
I thought about Willi and to a lesser extent Tookie. When I read about his antics because they appear firm in their blackness.

In thinking of that, also remember Patrick Kelly who walked the line and showed that one could remain dignified, push boundaries, and challenge white supremacy using "uncomfortable tropes" all while remaining true to one's art.

Andre is and has been a "footstool" for the white fashion elite because he wanted to be one...And I say this with no joy because I always admired him.

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux
I dont have time for this blues clues tea it isn't scandalous enough to hide the names :cautious:

Respectfully fam, a little fashion history (especially involving Black people who paved the way for all Black folks in the business) never hurt anyone.

That said, I appreciate the sentiment and made the post as obvious as possible.

Peace and be well!

PeytonPlace

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,476 264 84
Alleybux
Here's hoping mr. sellout got a look at all the black people he treated like sh!t on the way down from his fall from grace. I hope all my people he screwed over got a front row seat and waved good riddance as he passes each and every one on his way down to the bottom. It's where he belongs, and he should remain where he belongs for the rest of his life.

wonderstar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,784 1,941 1,504
Alleybux

I always think it's a matter of strength or weakness, whether you can stay firm in your authenticity, or whether you crumple to appease and fit in. You see it at every job, at every level. I would say ALT's greater crime is not opening the doors for anyone else, for being happy with being the only one at the table. A lot of people have shucked and jived, but did it for beyond themselves. ALT has my sympathy, but I am also disappointed he was not smart enough to stack something away. Clearly a very short sighted man.

Trav00

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,923 373 214
Alleybux

Mrs. H = Beth@nn H@rdison, her son played Dwayne Wayne. I met her in NY, she's lovely to talk to.

Mrs. B = Im@n, wife of D@vid Bowie

Mr. B - I don't know. Can somebody post?

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux
Mrs. H = Beth@nn H@rdison, her son played Dwayne Wayne. I met her in NY, she's lovely to talk to.

Mrs. B = Im@n, wife of D@vid Bowie

Mr. B - I don't know. Can somebody post?

As mentioned above, he's a prominent Black designer who's work was featured in the 1973 Versailles Fashion showcase of American Designers "v.s." the Old Guard French Ready-to-Wear Houses.

(There are two fun documentaries about the event that are worth watching for the history info alone.)

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,544 26,416 3,542
Alleybux
I always think it's a matter of strength or weakness, whether you can stay firm in your authenticity, or whether you crumple to appease and fit in. You see it at every job, at every level. I would say ALT's greater crime is not opening the doors for anyone else, for being happy with being the only one at the table. A lot of people have shucked and jived, but did it for beyond themselves. ALT has my sympathy, but I am also disappointed he was not smart enough to stack something away. Clearly a very short sighted man.

Well written, and thank you.

You're right, I think we all feel a twinge of sadness and frustration that all the bowing and scaping he allegedly yielded nothing tangible after all these years.

8837hot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
58,250 1,437 1,117
Alleybux
This is sad. I mean we know ALT was tap dancing his way to being a pet but it’s still sad he’s out so coldly at his age. Sadly I believe he’s indicative of the sorts of bm that thrive commercially in these spaces he just wasn’t financially savvy enough to ride it to the end

JulyNile

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,061 629 672
Alleybux

Trying to figure it out too...

JulyNile

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,061 629 672
Alleybux

Bless you

YuG00fytho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,941 4,377 2,563
Alleybux

zandileblay

But still.

A bad father - yes.

Respect for an elder
Respect for revenge
Respect for failure
Respect for loneliness
Respect for lovelessness
Respect for shallowness
Respect for pain
Respect for the table
Respect for the seat
Respect for hypocrites

Respectfully.
Happy Fashion Week!

This was beautiful

NYOTA UHURA

Nyota Thee Reporter
Reaction score
Reactions
56,777 2,583 767
Alleybux

Ms. H is B4thann H@rdison.

PebbleIsland

Good Vibes
Reaction score
Reactions
37,284 448 173
Alleybux
Don’t know about the inside history/drama/tea but it’s so fascinating! Black creatives in the fashion industry and everything they had to navigate.

Thanks OP I’ll check out the documentaries:)

bkbelle09

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Alleybux

zandileblay

But still.

A bad father - yes.

Respect for an elder
Respect for revenge
Respect for failure
Respect for loneliness
Respect for lovelessness
Respect for shallowness
Respect for pain
Respect for the table
Respect for the seat