Did King Saul Go to Hell?

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,939 1,770 409
Alleybux
I wanted to get some clarity on what happened to Saul after he fell on his sword.

1 Samuel 31
4 Saul said to his armor-bearer, "Draw your sword and run me through, or these uncircumcised fellows will come and run me through and abuse me."
But his armor-bearer was terrified and would not do it; so Saul took his own sword and fell on it. 5 When the armor-bearer saw that Saul was dead, he too fell on his sword and died with him. 6 So Saul and his three sons and his armor-bearer and all his men died together that same day.

I know that the spirit of jealousy destroyed Saul. He was so jealous of David, but what else happened?

I am not sure about his salvation. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard a sermon on it.

1 Samuel 19:

21 And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also.
22 Then went he also to Ramah, and came to a great well that is in Sechu: and he asked and said, Where are Samuel and David? And one said, Behold, they be at Naioth in Ramah.
23 And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah.
24 And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?

GaryV

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,730 3
Alleybux
As far as I can recall, and someone may well correct me, the only HUMAN person (not speaking of angelic beings here) in the entirety of Scripture whom we KNOW for CERTAIN is damned is Judas............whom the Lord Himself referred to as "The son of perdition."

Jhn 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition (Referring to Judas); that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Any conclusions about the eternal destiny of anyone else beyond this is simply speculation.

havelock

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
133,437 4,137 2,794
Alleybux
I would like to know what Judas did to piss God off.

If he was destined to betray Jesus, is it his fault?

Did he have a choice?

GaryV

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,730 3
Alleybux
I would like to know what Judas did to piss God off.

If he was destined to betray Jesus, is it his fault?

Did he have a choice?

Let's say I have a friend who's deeply into drugs. I know he's going to grab any money I leave out laying around the house. I can tell you therefore exactly what he will do in the future, not forced to by me, but because of his own sinful desire to DO it.

Knowing for certain what someone is going to do before he does it does not imply that I'm forcing him to do it. Judas followed his own desires in betraying Christ. God, Who knows all things, knew this too and wrote of it beforehand. God, Who knows all things, ALSO knew that Judas would refuse to repent.

Even so, Judas was given the most gracious display of God's Grace anyone has ever known. He was allowed to not only see Christ, hear Christ, observe firsthand the miracles of Christ...............he was allowed the rare privilege of LIVING with Him for 3 1/2 years. And in spite of that personal contact, and personally seeing and hearing and touching and observing the things that we can only read about, he denied Him anyway.

See, Judas isn't the only person who ever lived that betrayed Christ with a kiss. I've done it too. So have you. But we didn't have the sort of direct and intimate relationship with Jesus BEFOREHAND. Judas did.

Since the sin of directly betraying Christ is so much greater, God gave Judas almost limitless opportunities to repent by allowing him 24/7/365 access to Christ PERSONALLY for 3 1/2 years.

Who will claim that Judas wasn't given ample opportunity to repent before that kiss in the garden?? Who can say that God didn't graciously afford him EVERY imaginable chance to change his course of action by virtually wrapping his life in Christ so he could clearly see the Truth??

God allowed him to see, hear, do, and know with SPECIAL intimacy FIRSTHAND the very things that caused MULTITUDES of OTHERS to repent with tears, who only saw and heard a GLIMPSE of what Judas had seen and heard. And there's a reason for that.

At the end of all things, God will be justified as Righteous. When we are finally allowed to know even as we are known, and the secret things have been revealed, no one will be able to say "God, You did an injustice to me."

Judas' indictment will be that the great evil of his heart was met by an even greater outpouring of God's Grace to overwhelm his evil heart, and he STILL refused it. Only 12 men ever got to live with Christ during His ministry and draw upon that rare stream of HEART-CHANGING and direct Grace and Faith. And Judas was one of them. And while it changed the hearts of the other 11, his remained stone.

And seeing and hearing Christ only from afar, having only a tiny iota of the access Judas had, changed the hearts of multitudes of others during Christ's ministry. But not Judas'.

And we, having neither seen nor heard Christ personally, having virtually NONE of the intimate access to Jesus which was granted Judas, had OUR hearts changed. But Judas, having had so much more, remained steadfast in his determination to betray Jesus.

So, how do we speak of a "grudge" against Judas by God, when God poured out more Grace and Faith and Favor upon Judas than anyone except he and 11 others in all of history?? Grace enough to change the evil hearts of those 11, and multitudes more, and even we ourselves who have never seen Christ. What more could God have done?? FORCED Judas to love Christ?? Stripped him of choice and will??

As Scripture states, the greater the SIN, the more GRACE our Merciful Father sends to meet that sin, so that we might repent and turn to Him.

Rom 5:20 " But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: "

Since God knew that the sin Judas was determined to commit would abound in the greatest imaginable way, He met that sin with the greatest outpouring of Grace that MUCH MORE ABOUNDED by putting him directly in intimate, unceasing access to Christ Himself for 3 1/2 years. And STILL Judas hardened his heart against Christ.

No, God held no grudge against Judas. He allowed Judas to do what he desired to do from the depths of his wicked heart, and met that evil with a force of Grace FAR BEYOND what was needed to CHANGE that wicked heart. And still Judas refused.

God is justified, and Judas is condemned by the very overpowering Grace he refused.

authentic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,865 1
Alleybux
I don't know why I feel a Steve McNair twist to this of some sort.

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
I don't know why I feel a Steve McNair twist to this of some sort.
eisegesis might be trying to rare it's head on this one it seems, I didn't get that at all, but I'm not the OP

authentic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,865 1
Alleybux
eisegesis might be trying to rare it's head on this one it seems, I didn't get that at all, but I'm not the OP

I may have had too much ice cream today.... Let's just scratch that off the record...lol