Dionne Warrick says Mariah , Brandy, Mary J and Toni are not icons

Censored
Reactions
85,481 2,317 4,545
Alleybux
I love her music but many people only know Dionne as a purveyor of shade. So I hope she uses her interviews to discuss more of her music.
There are a million Dionne Warwick interviews and performances on the very free YouTube. Anyone who is interested in exploring Warwick and any number of other artist can do so at their leisure, for free, with the push of a button. A lot of people are ignorant as fuck because they choose to be

How many Gen Zers know who Dionne Warwick is?
Do they about anything that happened before they were born. They act like they don’t.

Reactions
124,223 2,043 1,197
Alleybux
The only one who is slightly questionable is Toni but still who has her first 2 albums in their catalogs? Secrets is severely underrated and should be the blueprint for R&B artist that want to crossover. However Toni doesn’t act like an icon like she said. Doing reality tv, and her bankruptcies has over shadowed her career.

Reactions
146,677 3,115 2,189
Alleybux
It's not up to the older generation to determine the icons of younger generations. Notice the names dionne mentioned as icons, there are several era's of iconic artists in between lena, ella, sarah and mary, mariah, brandy and toni.

Beyoncé’s PR
Reactions
149,324 4,464 2,872
Alleybux
It’s ironic to see these responses. When hive said some of the same stuff we were insecure and a disgusting group of people. Now the tune is different that it is your protected favorites.

Hive stay clockin who people truly are but y’all can never see the truth until it’s someone other than Beyoncé.

Last edited:
Reactions
4,624 51 17
Alleybux
I heard Dionne Warwick name a few times but I can't name one song by her but to me all of them are icons except Toni.I love her music as much as Brandy,Mary J and Mariah's though.

Reactions
263 5 1
Alleybux
All I could think about was G2BR when I saw this....the more interviews I see of these legends, the more I realize how spot on Patti Lahelle was spot on with these impersonations

Reactions
68,912 561 177
Alleybux
They're all icons. Bye. Period. I'm not about to use 'semantics' and 'generational" bullshit to try and figure this out. They. Are. Icons.
They are major success stories and have broken barriers in music, television, magazines and entertainment.

Older generations always want to gate keep shit like this as if younger generations could and would never. I would never question Dionnes contributions but TRUST there are some crusty whites who dont give a shit about her contributions to entertainment because of some arbitrary and benign definition about what being an icon is. Older generations also want to hold onto to some sort of: we did things better and had it harder. Meanwhile they had the luxury of having fixers so that people didnt know about their personal lives the ways in which these women have publicly had to have their struggles magnified x 100 and STILL came out on top.

Hell even if they wanted it or not: they are icons.

Reactions
5,577 10 9
Alleybux
I disagree wholeheartedly with Ms. Warwick, but she's entitled to her opinion. It is what it is. I do find it interesting how she seems to be a lot harder on modern black female singers who have definitely made a mark in music, yet gets on Twitter laying the praise on extra thick for their non-black contemporaries. Just something I've peeped.

Formerly known as EnglandsRose
Reactions
41,557 1,055 1,621
Alleybux
There are a million Dionne Warwick interviews and performances on the very free YouTube. Anyone who is interested in exploring Warwick and any number of other artist can do so at their leisure, for free, with the push of a button. A lot of people are ignorant as fuck because they choose to be

Do they about anything that happened before they were born. They act like they don’t.
They know about MJ, Madonna, Mariah, and Whitney.

Obeah Woman
Reactions
221,772 2,403 634
Alleybux
Dionne is about to have all of stan Twitter going after her. I wish she didn’t start this
In the publishing era that occurs right before the recording industry, people would share their sheet music with neighbors. That's how songs became popular - people purchased sheet music to play them on piano, guitar and other instruments.

Just over 100 years later, people get emotionally attached to musicians, using them as avatars for the absence of identity. It's sad. I hope Generation Alpha practices creating music, playing music and just sharing music. Getting back to the basics.

Reactions
157 24 5
Alleybux
Didn't watch the snippet but seeing the replies... lol
Honestly, if we're being real here. The only person I'd consider an actual icon from the list is Mariah Carey. And I would say Mary J. Blige is a legend. For me, Toni and Brandy aren't really up there, and I love their music but they haven't done anything outstanding to be considered such title. They aren't wowed compared to Mariah & Mary.

Reactions
70,417 809 400
Alleybux
It’s ironic to see these responses. When hive said some of the same stuff we were insecure and a disgusting group of people. Now the tune is different that it is your protected favorites.

Hive stay clockin who people truly are but y’all can never see the truth until it’s someone other than Beyoncé.

You already know.

Most of the people here were agreeing with her about Beyonce, and going IN on Beyonce/the Hive, but are now having an issue with Dionne's statements.

I didn't appreciate how some of the Hive went after her (and don't agree with Dionne on this matter), but I also don't like how Beyonce is held to a different standard than everyone else by these LSA/social media people.

Something On My Mind
Reactions
34,786 120 107
Alleybux
It's not up to the older generation to determine the icons of younger generations. Notice the names dionne mentioned as icons, there are several era's of iconic artists in between lena, ella, sarah and mary, mariah, brandy and toni.

This. Dionne is biased towards an earlier era. Does Dionne even consider her own cousin Whitney an icon?

OLDHEAD
Reactions
163,651 3,315 3,212
Alleybux
Cliffs:

Brandy : has potential, double threat- fine actress, golden voice
Mariah: doesn't know her that well but is a fine songwriter, loves "hero"
Mary J: yes, her growth has been astounding
Toni: doesn't know if Toni even wants that
Between the bankruptcies and her being sick all the time, I guess Toni lost her momentum.

Boss Bitch
Reactions
4,728 156 568
Alleybux
This old hag is once again smoked out. This is not about her big ass nostrils opinion, its about facts = being a legend is not about how well she knows them. WTF

Mariah and Toni are ICONS and periodt.
Fuck this bitch

Boss Bitch
Reactions
4,728 156 568
Alleybux
Between the bankruptcies and her being sick all the time, I guess Toni lost her momentum.

of anything, that storyline only added to her “icon” status.

being an icon is not only being talented but also having the catalog and the storyline that goes along and marks your name in pop culture

TONI and MARIAH have that.

not fucking brandy who might beba very “local” icon according to dione’a senile take

<span style="font-weight: bold;color: Purple;"><sp
Reactions
12,444 102 123
Alleybux
Does this seem a little messy to anyone else? I notice some of these older women that are singers criticize their younger counterparts for no reason. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't like things like this. Maybe some of these artists don't want to be icons and just want to make music and relax. To also what may be considered an icon in Warwick's generation is probably not what is considered an icon in other generations...
Mariah, is a shady as they come. I. Annie stand her.

King Of All Tennis
Reactions
129,483 1,785 2,670
Alleybux
Maybe it's me but what she said wasn't that bad outside of her trying to lightweight shade Toni and her long pause when Mariah was brought up. Toni released two iconic albums that changed the game. Both of Toni's first two releases went diamond. To be honest, the only thing that stopped her momentum was the lawsuit with Arista which sidelined her for over a year at the height of her popularity. When she did come back some fanfare was still there and The Heat(her third album) went triple platinum. However, I felt like something had changed between Arista/Babyface and their working relationship. Then came the bankruptcy issues and her struggle with lupus and Toni having to pull out of her Vegas residency because she couldn't handle performing every night. So I think to be fair to Toni, she's had a lot of ups and downs in her life and career. She still is an icon to me, nobody did it like her during her peak.

The Culture

Celebrity News

Television Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Domo Wilson Thread IV
I didn’t watch the video but she said she got knocked up from a dude or is everyone just saying that?? (If this is real) how in the world does she...
YOUTUBER Keesha Anderson - Thread 3
Did she say they already met some parents in the area??? Gorl wtf lmao Just lying for no fucking reason.
BLACK WOMEN ARE LOSING INTEREST IN BLACK MEN...
https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/black-women-are-losing-interest-in-black-men.4317962/
Trevor Noah Girlfriend?
I love her outfit!!! Sexy body tight as fuck yes wow
Atlanta Tea 2.0: 2021 Edition
Jayda really showed out for her mama.. I liked the whole set up.. but I can’t help but to wonder why she never put any grease in lil loyal hair...
Has anyone’s Amazon ALEXA been talking out of turn lately?
Okay....so it isn't only me this is happening to. It's been happening every so often lately and it's kinda scary. Like I can be all the way in the...
Please be careful collecting unemployment benefits.
Be careful for what? If you're eligible and collecting because you actually lost your job, you have nothing to worry about.
Man, those 90s & early 2000s workout videos are extremely effective!
I can dig it! I still do my Jane Fonda-robics and bust out my thigh master when I want to break a sweat lol I was thinking about getting a...
Top Bottom