Dionne Warrick says Mariah , Brandy, Mary J and Toni are not icons

Reactions
298,429 7,210 11,837
Alleybux
Think about the women she considers icons, Sarah Vaughn, Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald. These are Black women who were touring and acting during Jim Crow segregation. Older Black people have this tension with struggle. They find struggle noble. Those who persevere through struggle are given high acclaim.

The younger artists, though they do have struggles are the descendants of the pathways that women Dionne considers icons created for them. Which is why she likes Mary J. Blige. Again, a woman who has triumphed over domestic violence, addiction, and the other routine violence that Black women experience like misogyny, white supremacy, et. al. to make a name for herself as a singer and actor.

I love her music but many people only know Dionne as a purveyor of shade. So I hope she uses her interviews to discuss more of her music.

Ive noticed this also, and with younger black people, too. I believe that part of the reason Mary is so beloved by some women is because of that struggle. it’s familiar for a lot of black women.

Throwing quality shade is art and Im MF DaVinchi
Reactions
177,730 2,556 460
Alleybux
Everytime i see dionne going on about who she deems "iconic", i look at her and think, but r u beloved...
1619329018657.png

Reactions
9,286 413 566
Alleybux
Brandy hasn't had a truly successful album since Never Say Never.

She is no one's icon, considering she barely made it past album #2.
Says who though??? Brandy came at a time when Black teen artists were really rising and having great success. I have yet to see an era as like during the 1990s where you had the likes of Brandy, Tevin Campbell, Monica, Aaliyah, Usher, in naming several, to having the type of success on both the R&B/Soul and Pop charts. Each of those artists mentioned are every much still played, heard, and even relevant with the younger generation today.

Last edited:
Reactions
9,286 413 566
Alleybux
You guys are in here attacking the legendary Dionne Warwick over her opinion but can't say exactly what it is that makes Phoni and Brandy icons.

Dionne has more collateral than this whole entire site combined, squared, times 150. I'll take her word over yours any day. And I been saying this on this site.

Phoni Braxton is NOT iconic. Brandy is NOT iconic.
Whether Toni is considered an icon to some, or not with many, she does remain as any and/or all of respected opinions. However, what can never be denied is Braxton's impressive presence on the music scene back during the 1990s. Her first two albums were staples in their own right, that in which helped to define both an era and a genre that was long in having to take a backseat.

Last edited:
#rebel
Time Out
Reactions
43,526 3,675 7,471
Alleybux
Whether Toni is considered an icon to some, or not with many, does remain as any and/or all of respected opinions. However, what can never be denied is Braxton's impressive presence on the music scene back during the 1990s. Her first two albums were staples in their own right, that in which helped to define both an era and a genre that was long in having to take a backseat.
Would you say Mary is an icon?

Reactions
9,286 413 566
Alleybux
Would you say Mary is an icon?
Imo, she most certainly is. Blige defined a time and era. When she debuted onto the music scene, there was nothing out to sound like Blige, or any other solo woman artist to even look like her. Next year marks the 30th anniversary of What's The 411?. That album remains a signature landmark. Blige has even been nominated to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. To me, if that isn't ICON status, then I actually don't know what else what.

#rebel
Time Out
Reactions
43,526 3,675 7,471
Alleybux
Imo, she most certainly is. Blige defined a time and era. When she debuted onto the music scene, there was nothing out to sound like Blige, or any other solo woman artist to even look like her. Next year marks the 30th anniversary of What's The 411?. That album remains a signature landmark. Blige has even been nominated to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. To me, if that isn't ICON status, then I actually don't know what else what.
OMG. The world is ending. You actually said something positive about MJB!!! Holy shit. That is a first.

Are you feeling okay, bro? You got the COVID?? What's going on?

Reactions
1,639 30 14
Alleybux
Dion is certainly entitled to her opinion and earned the right to voice it on the next generation. I’m not saying I agree with her, but I do think we throw around the word icon and legend too loosely. These artists need to more than have hits on the radio to be label one imo. Which of these ladies broke barriers?

The Culture

Celebrity News

General Alley

Recent Posts

• Poll
Lori Harvey & Michael B Jordan kinda look alike.
Damn you right OP :LOL: Both of them have weak chins. :ROFLMAO:
EVICTION Moratorium Is OVER on the Federal Level. Renter's May Still Be Protected By State Laws.
Hmm is that one of the things that comes with being a landlord? Your issue is with the government not the tenants No, it’s not. Landlords have...
Beyoncé’s fourth album is Spotify’s second most streamed album of 2011
I'm almost 90% sure people just bandwagon hated that album. Without a doubt, 4 was her ‘thank god, she’s fallen off’ era, so people were wetting...
Biden announces support of waiving of intellectual property protections on COVID-19 vaccines so...
Did Louis Pateur, Jonas Salk, Madamme Curie waive their rights and i intellectual prpoerty to the world ? Yes. Yes they did. They are both...
Why do fonts keep saying that the vaccine doesn’t lower your chances of catching Covid?
This got my anxiety up lmao. I am leaning toward getting vaccinated but shit. I fucking hate this covid shit. The world has lost it! Wish we had...
YouTube's Beef Sector: The Poor Reports
How in the Entire Hell is Rico video still up? And he seriously need to seek some type of help!! His HBO status will worsen, with all that...
So apparently, Franky Beverly has a daughter?
Frankie was so fine. Damn. All of the men back then were. Janis Gay fucked him. I don’t blame her. Jan got all the good ones.
Top Bottom