Quantcast

Dionne Warrick says Mariah , Brandy, Mary J and Toni are not icons

Silentbx

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,578 78 35
Alleybux
Her answers were quite interesting to say the least. Do you agree?

the full interview drops tomorrow. She shared some awesome stories!

DrumLife

Brandy - B7 (7.31.20)
Reaction score
Reactions
95,729 4,059 2,911
Alleybux
Dionne gave Toni 2 chops lmao!

Brandy, Mariah and Mary are already icons. Dionne is just too far removed from their generations to realize it.

I see what Dionne was saying about Toni. She really needs to take her career more seriously and take her brand to the next level. She is not as respected as she should be.

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,042 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
Cliffs:

Brandy : has potential, double threat- fine actress, golden voice
Mariah: doesn't know her that well but is a fine songwriter, loves "hero"
Mary J: yes, her growth has been astounding
Toni: doesn't know if Toni even wants that

Dollimybaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
73,623 2,231 703
Alleybux
I think those women are iconic to us millennials, but I get it. Her criteria for what makes someone an icon is a little rigid.

SlayCoulee

posted in another ninja hood like a bad bih
Reaction score
Reactions
153,833 2,483 357
Alleybux
Not even Mariah is an icon??

giphy.gif

Respectfully, Dionne...what the world.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
Does this seem a little messy to anyone else? I notice some of these older women that are singers criticize their younger counterparts for no reason. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't like things like this. Maybe some of these artists don't want to be icons and just want to make music and relax. To also what may be considered an icon in Warwick's generation is probably not what is considered an icon in other generations...

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,460 13,176 1,853
Alleybux
Does this seem a little messy to anyone else? I notice some of these older women that are singers criticize their younger counterparts for no reason. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't like things like this. Maybe some of these artists don't want to be icons and just want to make music and relax. To also what may be considered an icon in Warwick's generation is probably not what is considered an icon in other generations...
Think about the women she considers icons, Sarah Vaughn, Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald. These are Black women who were touring and acting during Jim Crow segregation. Older Black people have this tension with struggle. They find struggle noble. Those who persevere through struggle are given high acclaim.

The younger artists, though they do have struggles are the descendants of the pathways that women Dionne considers icons created for them. Which is why she likes Mary J. Blige. Again, a woman who has triumphed over domestic violence, addiction, and the other routine violence that Black women experience like misogyny, white supremacy, et. al. to make a name for herself as a singer and actor.

I love her music but many people only know Dionne as a purveyor of shade. So I hope she uses her interviews to discuss more of her music.

Last edited:

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
Think about the women she considers icons, Sarah Vaughn, Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald. These are Black women who were touring and acting during Jim Crow segregation. Older Black people have this tension with struggle. They find struggle noble. Those who persevere through struggle are given high acclaim.

The younger artists, though they do have struggles are the descendants of the pathways that women Dionne considers icons created for them. Which is why she likes Mary J. Blige. Again, a woman who has triumphed over domestic violence, drug addiction, and the other routine violence that Black women experience to make a name for herself as a singer and actor.

I love her music but many people only know Dionne as a purveyor of shade. So I hope she uses her interviews to discuss more of her music.
Your right. I haven't thought about it that way.

I thought it was unnecessary when she shaded Beyonce saying she wasn't an icon a while ago. I'm not a Beyonce stan, but I do appreciate how much work she puts into singing and her shows. I do feel like all of the artists she mentioned have had a huge impact on the music industry whether she wants to admit it or not especially Mariah Carey and Toni Braxton.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,807 6,061 2,384
Alleybux
Ms. Warwick is a trailblazing living legend who is absolutely entitled to state the facts and doesn't have to cater to those who can't handle the truth.

None of these women would even exist in the game if she hadn't paved the way (I include my all-time fave, Queen MJB) and they know it, which is why they respect Ms. Warwick enough to not contest what she said.

7thSense

Loot Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
121,525 1,961 303
Alleybux
I'm going to respect her opinion. Its different to already have a long career before these ladies even got started. When I was born, all 4 of them were already popular, so it takes no getting used to what is already the status quo. I didn't get excited with the crop of big artists that have come along in the 2010's and later, because I've seen their influences, the payola, the marketing scheme of things and its either been done before or doesn't blow my skirt up. So I see where she's coming from as she's seen entire generations of other singers who she looked up to, the peers she came up with, and all the generations that came after. She sees a bigger picture and has a bigger criteria and I respect that.

One day Mariah Carey is going to be the Sara Vaughn for us, and the kids who haven't been born are gonna drag us for not respecting Lil Bo Peep (who's name is original, btw) who got started in 2043 and hasn't stopped turning nursey rhymes into xes puns since.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,460 13,176 1,853
Alleybux
Your right. I haven't thought about it that way.

I thought it was unnecessary when she shaded Beyonce saying she wasn't an icon a while ago. I'm not a Beyonce stan, but I do appreciate how much work she puts into singing and her shows. I do feel like all of the artists she mentioned have had a huge impact on the music industry whether she wants to admit it or not especially Mariah Carey and Toni Braxton.
You don't have to agree with her. She has the right to who she feels are icons in an industry she cracked open to Black pop singers.

Last edited:

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
You don't have to agree with her. I know that women in her generation are sad that younger Black people don't know their music catalogs and impact. When they were growing up Black households listened to music communally so music was a shared experience. Depending on how young a Black person is now, they can start developing their own musical palette distinct from their parents as soon as they get their own device around 8 or 9.
I know I don't have to agree with her. That's why we all have different opinions. Not speaking for anyone else in my generation, but I'm pretty young and I knew of her for a while because I grew up around singers, musicians and have been playing instruments since I was 9, so I'm not trying to take away her impact she has had on the music industry at all.

I think some fonts (not you) are trying to act like I said she had no impact on the music industry and her opinion is irrelevant, which isn't what I said at all. All I said is that I feel like the video is a little bit messy.

blacjac

winning
Reaction score
Reactions
81,243 3,012 1,542
Alleybux
She said Brandy has potential to be but essentially gave no answer on Mariah.

So basically she ranks Brandy above Mariah.

Bish crazy. Jack needs to suspend her account.

BodyOddy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,637 1,603 625
Alleybux
Aretha Franklin was hailed the "Queen of Soul" extremely early in her career.

Yet we still argue over legendary/iconic statuses for our artists who have been around for 20+ years, sold millions, have classic records and laundry lists of accolades.

Everyone listed is a legend/icon in my opinion.

Cafe au lait

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
118,428 4,537 6,628
Alleybux
There are a million Dionne Warwick interviews and performances on the very free YouTube. Anyone who is interested in exploring Warwick and any number of other artist can do so at their leisure, for free, with the push of a button. A lot of people are ignorant as fµck because they choose to be

How many Gen Zers know who Dionne Warwick is?
Do they about anything that happened before they were born. They act like they don’t.

Ntsap

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
199,943 5,634 2,257
Alleybux
The only one who is slightly questionable is Toni but still who has her first 2 albums in their catalogs? Secrets is severely underrated and should be the blueprint for R&B artist that want to crossover. However Toni doesn’t act like an icon like she said. Doing reality tv, and her bankruptcies has over shadowed her career.

msdeelite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
209,426 6,106 3,326
Alleybux
It's not up to the older generation to determine the icons of younger generations. Notice the names dionne mentioned as icons, there are several era's of iconic artists in between lena, ella, sarah and mary, mariah, brandy and toni.

Yonce PR

Chicks suffering from DC PTSD like it’s 1998
Reaction score
Reactions
196,431 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
It’s ironic to see these responses. When hive said some of the same stuff we were insecure and a disgusting group of people. Now the tune is different that it is your protected favorites.

Hive stay clockin who people truly are but y’all can never see the truth until it’s someone other than Beyoncé.

Last edited:

SheIsAPisces

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,604 303 134
Alleybux
I heard Dionne Warwick name a few times but I can't name one song by her but to me all of them are icons except Toni.I love her music as much as Brandy,Mary J and Mariah's though.

Here4TeaTime

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
274 5 1
Alleybux
All I could think about was G2BR when I saw this....the more interviews I see of these legends, the more I realize how spot on Patti Lahelle was spot on with these impersonations

messybootss

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
115,204 2,025 977
Alleybux
They're all icons. Bye. Period. I'm not about to use 'semantics' and 'generational" bµllsh!t to try and figure this out. They. Are. Icons.
They are major success stories and have broken barriers in music, television, magazines and entertainment.

Older generations always want to gate keep sh!t like this as if younger generations could and would never. I would never question Dionnes contributions but TRUST there are some crusty whites who dont give a sh!t about her contributions to entertainment because of some arbitrary and benign definition about what being an icon is. Older generations also want to hold onto to some sort of: we did things better and had it harder. Meanwhile they had the luxury of having fixers so that people didnt know about their personal lives the ways in which these women have publicly had to have their struggles magnified x 100 and STILL came out on top.

Hell even if they wanted it or not: they are icons.