Quantcast

Do brown-skinned people benefit from colorism?

Do brown-skinned people benefit from colorism?

• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

healthytech

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
318 75 50
Alleybux
My personal answer to this is no as a brown skinned person but I also live in a mostly non-black area

BigMikeHere

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,618 2,251 1,807
Alleybux
Your going to be an awesome person and have a life of meaning, love and family.

Hang in there!

Last edited:

JamQueen

JamQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
40,292 1,947 449
Alleybux
Are you Black? This has been debated so many times on here, there are plenty of threads. Of course Brown ppl benefit from colorism, and aren’t treated as bad as darker people. Also brown skinned people get more opportunities.

Erenswifey

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,844 8 10
Alleybux
Are you Black? This has been debated so many times on here, there are plenty of threads. Of course Brown ppl benefit from colorism, and aren’t treated as bad as darker people. Also brown skinned people get more opportunities.
Not being treated as bad as dark skinned people isn’t a benefit. We still get treated worse for being darker than light skinned people and it would benefit us more if there was no colorism.

Ankura

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,172 565 201
Alleybux
what is brown skinned? I get confused by this

Growing up brown skinned was synonymous with dark skinned. Interesting how things change.

I guess that they're talking about people who are in the middle. Not very dark, not very light.

Then again on LSA I've seen people debate that people that people like Chris Brown, Beyonce, Rihanna, etc aren't light. You have to be Mariah Carey light to be considered light. This site is funny. People on here have their own definitions that you don't often hear in the real world.

To answer the question in the title, the lighter your skin is the more preferential treatment people who are colorist will show you.

W I L L O W

Not home yet
Reaction score
Reactions
241,899 11,077 2,903
Alleybux
Growing up brown skinned was synonymous with dark skinned. Interesting how things change.

I guess that they're talking about people who are in the middle. Not very dark, not very light.

Then again on LSA I've seen people debate that people that people like Chris Brown, Beyonce, Rihanna, etc aren't light. You have to be Mariah Carey light to be considered light. This site is funny. People on here have their own definitions that you don't often hear in the real world.

To answer the question in the title, the lighter your skin is the more preferential treatment people who are colorist will show you.

I think megan thee stallion is a good reference to brown skin. She can be dark or light or med depending on the lighting and seasons. Im just like her too

Edit: megan goode and lori harvey

Panamanian

Abundance.
Reaction score
Reactions
89,693 5,459 3,941
Alleybux

I hope people didn’t read over that because your skincolor alone will never be enough to outpace people in this society. It only benefits you if the person you need something from has this subconscious bias.

Lori O

Real Talk
Reaction score
Reactions
30,537 2,903 2,135
Alleybux
No. But they get a pass with colorist people.
Where do you guys live? By brown are we talking Hispanic/Asian brown or black brown? Brown people in all these categories do not benefit from colorism.
Edit: like Ankura stated brown is considered dark in every race. Colorist follow the white supremacy thought process, brown does not fit the description.