I also have a job which is my little side hustle

yes, there is a difference

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,353 3,164 1,232
Alleybux
A career is a string of jobs you take that have some relation to each other. It could be the industries you're in, the skills you use, the interests you have, etc.

A job is simply an employment opportunity you take with no significance other than to earn an income and afford the lifestyle you have or want.

They go hand in hand. But usually careers are for people actively charting a professional path for themselves. Jobs are for people just want to make money.

I have a career because I've been crafting a professional journey for myself. I make plans to achieve certain roles and accomplishments. There's a theme laced throughout all my jobs.

inasundress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,822 6,801 5,311
Alleybux
I have a career. A career is a path with upward mobility that will increase pay and power as you progress from one job/position/role to the next. A job is just a steady paycheck.

DiahannCarol

“Elegance is good taste plus a dash of daring."
Reaction score
Reactions
31,447 679 343
Alleybux
I’ve worked in a career job since graduating from university and I’m grateful. I knew what career I wanted to get into as I was entering freshman year so I majored in the field of study, interned during summers, and then got a relevant career job upon graduation.

Miss_Donna30

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,297 211 27
Alleybux
I have a career...

I think a "job" has limited growth potential and/or doesn't require expertise (basically, you're easily expendable).

jexterBobNix

Princess Mix-a-Lot
Reaction score
Reactions
2,087 452 75
Alleybux
Question in regards to this - how do you build a career? I mean, beyond the obvious. I ask because I got a job in my career field post-college, entry level, but totally floundered after that. The pay was low, and I did disengage, not intentionally but I then failed to get a better job. I did get a job which paid more, but not by much - and then I was totally clueless after that. I picked up two part time jobs to fill in the pay gap, but didn't really know what to do to get promoted at my main job... I showed up on time and did what was asked...but beyond that I didn't know how to "add value" I guess -? I would volunteer for extra tasks, but apparently not the right ones because that didn't help. I got mediocre performance reviews (ie good but not great or exceptional), but didn't know who to ask what excellence looks like. So I have just chased money because I have mostly been driven by the insecurity of low pay, if that makes any sense. And I have done ok with that in terms of having liquid money (by working multiple jobs at a time), but I don't have any kind of career to speak of.

ETA: I also didn't know what kind of jobs to aim for after the first one. Applying for jobs that required two years of experience even though I only had one, etc., etc

Last edited:

Miss_Donna30

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,297 211 27
Alleybux
Question in regards to this - how do you build a career? I mean, beyond the obvious. I ask because I got a job in my career field post-college, entry level, but totally floundered after that. The pay was low, and I did disengage, not intentionally but I then failed to get a better job. I did get a job which paid more, but not by much - and then I was totally clueless after that. I picked up two part time jobs to fill in the pay gap, but didn't really know what to do to get promoted at my main job... I showed up on time and did what was asked...but beyond that I didn't know how to "add value" I guess -? I would volunteer for extra tasks, but apparently not the right ones because that didn't help. I got mediocre performance reviews (ie good but not great or exceptional), but didn't know who to ask what excellence looks like. So I have just chased money because I have mostly been driven by the insecurity of low pay, if that makes any sense. And I have done ok with that in terms of having liquid money (by working multiple jobs at a time), but I don't have any kind of career to speak of.

ETA: I also didn't know what kind of jobs to aim for after the first one. Applying for jobs that required two years of experience even though I only had one, etc., etc
I think it depends heavily on your sector of employment. I work in the field of education and I've seen scenarios where people start their career in a particular school district as support staff while still in college and eventually get promoted after completing their training. HOWEVER, there are many, many occasions where the district seeks to hire "experienced" teachers, too many applicants for too few openings, and the support staff member seeking the promotion isn't well suited for the position due to other circumstances.

That being said, you could speak with your superiors and explain what your ultimate career goals are and learn if this is a possibly and/or what is required on your part to reach those goals with the company.

inasundress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,822 6,801 5,311
Alleybux

I only stay at one employer for two to three years then look for the position thats one up from my current one. To keep moving up you may need to acquire new skills or switch to an adjacent industry (where your skills are transferable). For me a big part of it is always thinking about the next job when I’m considering what to do for the current job. If I’m at an entry level position I already figure out what’s the next step beyond that and what I’ll be doing at this job that can prepare me for it/make ne qualified/ready for it. You have to be planning your steps up the ladder before you start.

mahoganybaby1

'queen tings' by masego on repeat
Reaction score
Reactions
7,369 4 1
Alleybux
Both for now. I have my part time, 3x a week position [job] and I freelance/independent contract with a business launching this year [career] - same field though.

Prettier

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,443 2,772 876
Alleybux
I have a job.

To a lot of people it’s a career. They get in young and do it until they retire. Or they leave to raise a family and come back after the kids are older.

Right now, I wouldn’t do anything else because the mix of the pay and flexibility it gives me to purse my career.

My career to me is my dream, what I always want to do.

Walnut

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,473 260 339
Alleybux
I have a well-paid job.

tbh I gave up reaching for the career ladder years ago, they can keep it.

Mostly I just use the income to keep building/maintaining assets without all that extra stress and hustle.

I'm not getting old in this country, anyways.
The exchange rate sucks :airplane

GlitterLady

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
109,443 2,707 1,700
Alleybux
A job, I just needed something to pay bills since waiting tables sucked so bad, I’m going back to school again this summer for a career though.

inasundress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,822 6,801 5,311
Alleybux
I have a well-paid job.

tbh I gave up reaching for the career ladder years ago, they can keep it.

Mostly I just use the income to keep building/maintaining assets without all that extra stress and hustle.

I'm not getting old in this country, anyways.
The exchange rate sucks :airplane

To keep it real, I always wanted a high paid JOB.

I’m pursuing a CAREER because the job thing didn’t work out :ROFLMAO:

sumpthinspec02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,538 269 287
Alleybux
I have a job that pays well and offers good benefits. I intend to retire from this company but I am uncertain about how I will advance while I'm here.

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom