Quantcast

Do you own your own business? Tips/advice thread

LinnStik

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
131 3 1
Alleybux
Not yet, but I'm learning to start my own business. Right now, I'm passing online business courses, read info about replatforming e commerce, because I want to meet my business goals in the future, and not start something knowing nothing about.

Last edited:

krishead2toe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
312 13
Alleybux
Don't really own a social media agency–but thinking of starting one and came across this freaking awesome article. It covers all the bases–from the most generic aspect of building a business down to the specifics. Seriously. Took me 2 days to finish reading this lmao.

petitefille

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,572 777 521
Alleybux
One of the things that’s been holding me back from starting and LLC is the need for a registered agent and address. Can someone explain this to me? I’m seeing people in this thread say their home office is their office (it would be for me as well), but I don’t want to put my home address on the form. They won’t accept a PO Box. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Loma Loam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,261 734 27
Alleybux
One of the things that’s been holding me back from starting and LLC is the need for a registered agent and address. Can someone explain this to me? I’m seeing people in this thread say their home office is their office (it would be for me as well), but I don’t want to put my home address on the form. They won’t accept a PO Box. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Both of my parents have LLCs and this is how they deal with the registered agents address since they both are the agents for their respective LLCs.

My father uses a UPS box for his address. It's the same thing as a PO Box but it costs more and uses a physical address.

My mother has a PO Box but writes it as a physical address of the post office with a suite number.
Example:
PO Box address
PO Box 123
City, State Zip

Physical address
246 Main St Ste# 123
City, State Zip

You can also use a third party or pay for registered agent services. I am not endorsing this company but sharing some information regarding registered agents

petitefille

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,572 777 521
Alleybux
Both of my parents have LLCs and this is how they deal with the registered agents address since they both are the agents for their respective LLCs.

My father uses a UPS box for his address. It's the same thing as a PO Box but it costs more and uses a physical address.

My mother has a PO Box but writes it as a physical address of the post office with a suite number.
Example:
PO Box address
PO Box 123
City, State Zip

Physical address
246 Main St Ste# 123
City, State Zip

You can also use a third party or pay for registered agent services. I am not endorsing this company but sharing some information regarding registered agents
Thank you so much!!

PartyIsOver

Under The Chemtrails Over The Country Club
Reaction score
Reactions
117,257 5,965 738
Alleybux
Good Afternoon everyone, I came on here because I have been attending this past month webinar events and matchmaking events. I get so excited to be matched for matchmaking events then the company who I’m matched with they don’t have anything at moment. Then I’m always told to reach out to the local ptac or msdc chapter. In my area they do not seem to know much about business. They seem to learn more from me than I do them. I asked my ptac who are your clients like me and how do I connect with them for potential tracking opportunities. I was told that she can’t give me that information because it’s private. I only wanted to know who were her clients so I can have a chat with them. It’s called networking. Score.org seems to be people trying to tell you to go work for someone else.

Ace Attorney

Phoenix Wright
Reaction score
Reactions
20,389 205 79
Alleybux
Do you have a local ups nearby, you can rent a po box from them but get a regular street address. I've seen that suggested as a way to have local address that's not your own.

YouWishYouKnewWhoThisWas

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,359 314 12
Alleybux
It has been on my mind for years a business to start but I am a multi-hyphenate. I recognized how much of my time I give helping people with things they don’t think twice about asking me for (but in the grand scheme there’s someone out there charging for it) Aside from setting boundaries, it dawned on me there are people who have a quick one off task, question (research), whatever they need done and need to delegate it to someone else. I don’t know if I would consider it offering VA services because it may be something outside of that scope.

Social media has this huge push on having a real specific small small niche.. so I am just trying to think of what sort’ve umbrella something like that would go under?

My apologies, if my thoughts are jumbled.

DominaHW

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
441,185 9,376 4,422
Alleybux
Starting a service base business is less expensive than starting a products based business.

I'm learning this now. I have two product-based businesses and it seems like the people who do services not only have lower startup costs but also tend to make more money because they can charge more. I see a lot of founder stories of people making tens of thousands per month, but they do things like consulting, marketing, etc.

One thing I will say is that there seems to be an avenue for people in the social media content creation and marketing space.

Rahanna

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
11 10
Alleybux
Well if i would ever try those business things, i would love to create logistics company for sure

Rahanna

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
11 10
Alleybux
But i think that it won't be easy at all. I need to handle with many things and try to rule everything out. I have only one important thing ensured and this thing is good dispatch services https://logitydispatch.com/ at least this is how i can be sure that every my delivery will run according to plan and i will deal with good and trustable clients

gillmiller

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
129 1
Alleybux
Yes, I have a small online business. Running my own business has taught me numerous lessons. I've realized that impeccable customer service and a solid reputation mean a lot for building a brand. Speaking of which, Review Insight Pro has been my ally in managing and enhancing that reputation. It's a must-try for fellow business owners.

Last edited:

DominaHW

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
441,185 9,376 4,422
Alleybux
I just started my freelance business. How have y'all been going about finding clients? I've heard mixed reviews about UpWork - some people seem to love it and others said that they have hard time getting past scammers. Thoughts?

I also have an online shop, but marketing is serious business and costs serious money. I'm almost at a point where I need to do freelance just to cover the costs of monthly marketing and advertising for my shop.

NaturalTresses7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,879 632 294
Alleybux
Is it best to get your own website or use something like Etsy? Every month they taking about 30$ from advertising because u have to pretty much let them advertise for your store or else you won’t make no sales. I hate it.
:yesyesYes, it's best to own your website domain name, go to GoDaddy.com

Whatitwas

“If you didn’t start at 20 start at 30.”
Reaction score
Reactions
15,041 622 452
Alleybux

Example:
PO Box address
PO Box 123
City, State Zip

Physical address
246 Main St Ste# 123
City, State Zip

Anyone tried the ‘po box adress’ one?

Nikkinonka

Sweet Like Willy Wonka
Reaction score
Reactions
80,504 2,951 383
Alleybux
I just started a cosmetics line. Will be launching products later this week.
I swear God told me the concept in my sleep.
I knew what I wanted to do and how I wanted my products to look so I just purchased what I needed and I have background in graphic design so I do all the labeling and manufacturing myself.
A couple weeks although it’s still a work in progress.
I work from home and have no employees.
About $250
I haven’t made a profit and I can’t say just yet.

Update!!! I stopped that after two months lmao I still use all my shea butter stock though skin is very much glowing.

I’m now an independent art teacher for kids and omg I‘m loving it. I get paid to do art, I make up my own lessons, share my love of art with kids and they’re amazing kids! My little ones be like “Ms. Nikkinonka do you like what I made?” lmao yes

tobenna2020

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,737 451 303
Alleybux
My tip would be to get your pricing sorted immediately.

Because if you give A+ service for D+ money lots of people won't accept paying extra for no difference in service