Quantcast

Do you own your own business? Tips/advice thread

Mockingbird

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,015 792 481
Alleybux
Do I still need to be trademarked if I just got my LLC for my business? Sorry if this is kind of dumb

This has been my question too. I don't have an actual business yet but I think a have a good concept/idea.

I'm thinking I should trademark though because at some point I want to branch off from my employer that I am an independent contractor for.

I don't want someone to see it that can take it and do something big with it because they may be bigger in the same industry and have the money and then they can turn around and tell me I can't use it!

Reaction score
Reactions
4,459 144 18
Alleybux
Do I still need to be trademarked if I just got my LLC for my business? Sorry if this is kind of dumb

Yes, a trademark gives you federal protection all over the United States. No one can legally use your name with federal protection.

A LLC only minimally protect you in the State it’s registered in.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,459 144 18
Alleybux
Hi everyone :b41.Question, where do blog like LSA or shade room get recent copyright free celeb photos? I thought Getty Images. Thank you

Yup Getty or Shutterstock, I don’t know if they’ll be recent updated photos tho, if so it may be pricier. Hope this helps.

Qtbxtch

Gossipxoxo
Reaction score
Reactions
303 24 4
Alleybux
Is it best to get your own website or use something like Etsy? Every month they taking about 30$ from advertising because u have to pretty much let them advertise for your store or else you won’t make no sales. I hate it.

queenofthenight

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,609 41 30
Alleybux
Is it best to get your own website or use something like Etsy? Every month they taking about 30$ from advertising because u have to pretty much let them advertise for your store or else you won’t make no sales. I hate it.

Get your own website instead of using Etsy. You will be able to take your brand further and have more individualized brand recognition.

Etsy was cool when they were more about the local sellers and crafters, but now they are so flooded with celebrities and influencers that they are not promoting the non-celebs and non-influencers as they once were (and even then, they mostly promoted non-Black sellers).

Zuri Arie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,078 3,241 688
Alleybux
Get your own website instead of using Etsy. You will be able to take your brand further and have more individualized brand recognition.

Etsy was cool when they were more about the local sellers and crafters, but now they are so flooded with celebrities and influencers that they are not promoting the non-celebs and non-influencers as they once were (and even then, they mostly promoted non-Black sellers).

I agree I don’t wanna fool with Etsy

tomboy149

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,090 95 46
Alleybux

There are celebs on Etsy? Wow.

GlamChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,370 709 794
Alleybux
@Kathryn91

When you have a chance do your research of the shaderoom and fashionbombdaily being sued.

If you are going to used certain photos like how TSR used go to getty. As @I Peep Everything has mention Getty can be expensive but here the kick. Getty has it where you can used the photo with their watermark on it for free.

You might want to check that out. You can read about it hear.

Using Getty Images files | Frequently asked questions | Getty Images

Hi everyone :b41.Question, where do blog like LSA or shade room get recent copyright free celeb photos? I thought Getty Images. Thank you

Yup Getty or Shutterstock, I don’t know if they’ll be recent updated photos tho, if so it may be pricier. Hope this helps.

Amanda Woodward

Vice President of D & D Advertising
Reaction score
Reactions
70,651 1,243 161
Alleybux

I notice blogs embedding celebrity's Instagram and Twitter posts. I'm assuming they do this to avoid paying the expensive fees to a wire service. Maybe you can try that.

Both. Unless you already have a decent following on social media, you will have to pay for traffic to promote your website, which is going to cost a lot more than $30 a month. Having your own website does help you establish a brand and provides a backup in case Etsy starts tripping and bans you or something.

Get some business cards made with your website and include them in your packaging to your Etsy customers.

AfriLux

Pampered princess from the ghetto
Reaction score
Reactions
29,034 1,507 616
Alleybux
I’ve been researching like crazy and I’m still a tad confused on some things. I keep hearing how a domain is super important and should be done ASAP. I’m just starting out and I’m not ready to launch a website, I just want a professional email address right now. Do I still need a domain?

Also this may be a stupid question but how would I access this professional email? If it was a Google, Outlook, Yahoo, etc email address, I’d know how to access it. But I’m not sure how to do that for a professional email without there being an actual website.

heirloom

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,248 212 92
Alleybux
I’ve been researching like crazy and I’m still a tad confused on some things. I keep hearing how a domain is super important and should be done ASAP. I’m just starting out and I’m not ready to launch a website, I just want a professional email address right now. Do I still need a domain?

Also this may be a stupid question but how would I access this professional email? If it was a Google, Outlook, Yahoo, etc email address, I’d know how to access it. But I’m not sure how to do that for a professional email without there being an actual website.

As far as I am aware you have to purchase the domain in order to have the email address for it. So for example you have to buy www.bread.com to have the email address holamami@bread.com

You should 100% buy the domain name as soon as you can because you don't want to be in a position where someone buys it before you do. Also just because you have purchased the domain doesn't mean that a website attached to that domain has to go up. Mine just has a holding page saying coming soon.

I purchased my domain and email service via godaddy and I log on to my business email via outlook

AfriLux

Reaction score
Reactions
29,034 1,507 616
Alleybux
As far as I am aware you have to purchase the domain in order to have the email address for it. So for example you have to buy www.bread.com to have the email address holamami@bread.com

You should 100% buy the domain name as soon as you can because you don't want to be in a position where someone buys it before you do. Also just because you have purchased the domain doesn't mean that a website attached to that domain has to go up. Mine just has a holding page saying coming soon.

I purchased my domain and email service via godaddy and I log on to my business email via outlook

Thank you! You just gave me the clarity I needed. I didn’t realize I could access that email through a completely different site like outlook. That part was seriously tripping me up.

newbie9905

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,386 6 1
Alleybux
My question is, how do you start a business in a saturated field? For example, with all of these new makeup companies cropping up (and I don’t see them slowing down any time soon) how do you find the courage/resolve to start a business in that field? I’m trying to y’all myself into it and I have some great points, but I get down on myself again. Looking for 3rd party encouragement (y)

wendysfourforfour

with baconator fries
Reaction score
Reactions
35,663 637 365
Alleybux
My question is, how do you start a business in a saturated field? For example, with all of these new makeup companies cropping up (and I don’t see them slowing down any time soon) how do you find the courage/resolve to start a business in that field? I’m trying to y’all myself into it and I have some great points, but I get down on myself again. Looking for 3rd party encouragement (y)

Marketing marketing marketing. That’s the difference between fashion nova and the all these other smaller fast fashion shops

I do have a question of my own. Besides ULINE what places do you all use for shipping products in bulk?

newbie9905

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,386 6 1
Alleybux
Marketing marketing marketing. That’s the difference between fashion nova and the all these other smaller fast fashion shops

I do have a question of my own. Besides ULINE what places do you all use for shipping products in bulk?

Thank you!!! That’s been one of the main things I’ve been thinking about, but sometimes I just get down on myself. How do you market when you don’t have a much of a social media following to leverage? That’s the question that stumps me at times.

And to answer your question, I’m not at the shipping phase yet obviously, but I found this article that discusses a few alternatives to Uline, as well as a few pros and cons of each. May be worth it to check it out, or just search Google for “Uline alternatives”.

ETA: for some reason I can’t “rate” posts...

wendysfourforfour

with baconator fries
Reaction score
Reactions
35,663 637 365
Alleybux
Thank you!!! That’s been one of the main things I’ve been thinking about, but sometimes I just get down on myself. How do you market when you don’t have a much of a social media following to leverage? That’s the question that stumps me at times.

And to answer your question, I’m not at the shipping phase yet obviously, but I found this article that discusses a few alternatives to Uline, as well as a few pros and cons of each. May be worth it to check it out, or just search Google for “Uline alternatives”.

ETA: for some reason I can’t “rate” posts...

Have you done a SWOT analysis and thought about your target demographic? Figure out what social platforms they visit the most and run ads on them for a while and then revisit the analytics and tweak. If you have a lot of older customers try Facebook (Facebook is top tier for ads for all demographics from what I hear) If they’re younger try twitter and Instagram. That’s more advertising for how to grow your page but for marketing it depends on your niche but always keep them in mind first. Consistency and quality content that is curated and aesthetically matches your brand is key. You’re selling a vision or lifestyle not the actual product so focus on how you want customers to feel when they experience shopping with you. Like if you’re selling natural hair products don’t just put “link in bio, shop the sale” put something more like “shop with us because curly girls have more fun!”

Also thank you so much I’ll look into it. They sent me a catalog but I found out they funded trump :unsure:

AfriLux

Reaction score
Reactions
29,034 1,507 616
Alleybux
I have a question about logos.

While graphic designer shopping, I’ve noticed that there are mainly 3 different types of logos being advertised: main logo, alternative logo, and sub(mark) logo.

What are the extra 2 logos for and where exactly would you use it? What do the other 2 logos do that the main logo cannot? Do you recommend getting all 3 or is it just an unnecessary expense?

ChocolateSugar

ChocolateSugar
Reaction score
Reactions
62,323 1,305 318
Alleybux
I have a question about logos.

While graphic designer shopping, I’ve noticed that there are mainly 3 different types of logos being advertised: main logo, alternative logo, and sub(mark) logo.

What are the extra 2 logos for and where exactly would you use it? What do the other 2 logos do that the main logo cannot? Do you recommend getting all 3 or is it just an unnecessary expense?
Off of the top of my head - the extra graphics can be used for item tags and labels, stickers, social media profile photos (different platforms have different profile photo size/shape restrictions), etc.

Think of brands like Louis Vuitton or Gucci for example

AfriLux

Reaction score
Reactions
29,034 1,507 616
Alleybux
Off of the top of my head - the extra graphics can be used for item tags and labels, stickers, social media profile photos (different platforms have different profile photo size/shape restrictions), etc.

Think of brands like Louis Vuitton or Gucci for example

That makes sense

But what about the kits that include the different print items and the 3 logos?

wendysfourforfour

with baconator fries
Reaction score
Reactions
35,663 637 365
Alleybux
Hey guys where are you getting custom mailers from? (Not the bubble ones but the poly mailers for clothes) I got an ordering book from ULINE but wanted to see any other options. Is ordering them from Alibaba bad?

tooshy

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,051 7 17
Alleybux
Hey guys where are you getting custom mailers from? (Not the bubble ones but the poly mailers for clothes) I got an ordering book from ULINE but wanted to see any other options. Is ordering them from Alibaba bad?
Etsy sellers offer custom poly mailers.

easybreezy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,671 2,159 1,655
Alleybux
I totally agree with this. I don't think I'm 'start my own business' inclined but I love reading the thoughts of people who are. So threads/books about business/self made people always intrigue me.

I would love to work for myself in a way i.e writing (music/books/scripts etc) but owning and operating a full scale business like what some of you have said, I don't think I could ever do.

My dad started his own business which went from nothing to a huge success. He made a bad move with not taking full ownership though. He had big companies interested in buying his business, he couldn't sell because a relative who he made an equal partner (even though my mother warned him not to and especially when he contributed basically nothing to the start up costs) refused to sell his share or buy my dad out. My dad eventually walked away and this relative basically ran the business to the ground.

My father is starting all over again in a different country at an age where I think he should be chilling but the bolded is basically what he possesses: that entrepreneurial spirit. He's always been a hustler. I've always admired people like that.

Good luck to all of you and your ventures!
Are we related??!!! My dad did similar nonsense! Spent their life savings to start a business, named it after himself and this "partner" who didn't contribute DIDDLY!! All he did was talk about having equipment and connections and he had nada. Then had the gall the STEAL PRODUCT on top of it, to do side gigs. My dad was wayyyy too trusting. I am getting a couple family businesses off the ground, one for mom and sis, the other for my daddy and I am not letting ANY OUTSIDERS in!! And I have the contracts on lock cause I don't play with my money or business!

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,721 2,681 178
Alleybux
You can get your TIN(Tax Id Number) for free by calling the irs. It's easy and simple. They only ask you a couple of question like your name, social and if your going to be an llc, corp or sp. Companies usually charge about $40 to $80 to get you think number when you can do it for free. Getting your business license won't cost much if you do it yourself. Filing the paper work was simple for me. It didn't require much information.

Excellent info, thank you :)

POROSITY

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,880 342 93
Alleybux
Great thread!

When starting out, did you get an official business credit card (with annual fees) or a regular card (no fees) that was attached to your business name?

Ezra Miller

⭐ DA NAME STAYS! PM ME FOR YOUR TAROT NEEDS ⭐
Reaction score
Reactions
287,339 9,787 5,303
Alleybux
idk
There are celebs on Etsy? Wow.

I'm not sure about celebs, but there are an assload amount of drop shippers on there. I've been on Etsy since the beginning when it was about handcrafts, but now I can't stomach it bc of that and the fact that I drive 80% of my sales via social media.

I'm in the middle of publishing my website but will def keep Etsy up since I have a lot of nice reviews.

Nikkinonka

Sweet Like Willy Wonka
Reaction score
Reactions
80,504 2,951 383
Alleybux
I searched and didn't see a thread like this. I thought it would be nice for those who own their own businesses to give advice and tips on how they started etc

A few questions to get the convo going.

What type of business do you own?
What prompted you to start your own business?
How did you go about starting your business?(resources you used)
What are the important documents/licenses that you need yo have?
How long did the process take before you were actually "open for business"
Do you work from home or have a studio/store/office space?
Do you have employees?
Have much did it cost to start your own business?
How soon did you start making a profit?
Would you recommend to others to follow this path?

I just started a cosmetics line. Will be launching products later this week.
I swear God told me the concept in my sleep.
I knew what I wanted to do and how I wanted my products to look so I just purchased what I needed and I have background in graphic design so I do all the labeling and manufacturing myself.
A couple weeks although it’s still a work in progress.
I work from home and have no employees.
About $250
I haven’t made a profit and I can’t say just yet.

krishead2toe

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
312 13
Alleybux
I started
I searched and didn't see a thread like this. I thought it would be nice for those who own their own businesses to give advice and tips on how they started etc

A few questions to get the convo going.

How did you go about starting your business?(resources you used)
Do you have employees?
Hello hello besties,

I own an e-commerce (I sell handcrafted earrings and accessories) and a dropshipping business.

The e-commerce was it was purely based on passion and my love for accessories. For the dropshipping one, I have a partner who dragged me into it.

How did you go about starting your business? (resources you used)
Well, it was a tough one, I mainly used my tech experience since I'm on the admin side and Etsy as a model to create how my user experience would be on the website, what tools should I use (like CRMs, sales automation - sales automation was a tough one since I'm not really a salesperson but the tool I used has a helpful blog that helped me a lot and some courses on Hubspot too - I use Hubspot btw and integrated a tool called Hyperise. I think you can also integrate other software with it)

For the important documents for my ecommerce store it was straight forward: (1) business plan, business registration, tax information, permit to operate and more. For the dropshipping we had to create a partnership agreement, plus the usual licenses and permits as my ecommerce one - I this article might come in handy. I use them as my fullfillment vendor (their based in the US) and have been helpful in terms of the logistic side of things.

About 6 months to prep get every foundational thing in place.

Work from home - my warehouse for my ecommerce is just in my home.

Do you have employees?
I do I have about 5 employees (all working from home) managing both entity. Most of them are in charge of customer inquiries, sales, and operations.

Well, the cost wasn't a lot. I shelled out roughly 5,000 for both business entities.

Roughly a month.

It's passive income for me. But you have to be nit-picky with every detail, from the design, tools, channels you'll be using.

Cocoa Chanel

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
962 15 7
Alleybux
URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT!

FOLKS- do you or someone you know have a business including SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or work as an INDEPENDENT CONTRACT? You are entitled to an easy credit, low interest, long term federal EIDL loan. AND/OR, you may qualify for a FREE $10-15K GRANT!!! Please spread the word to the community... time is ticking.....have to apply STAT!

The govt has BILLIONS LEFT that expires 12/31/21. They claimed to be looking for black/women/veteran/low income based business owners (includes IC & SP... Uber Driver, Real Estate Agent, Dog walker etc)-- but we HAVEN'T BEEN APPLYING...

This is a video we did for a specific sector of Youtube called the BEEF SECTOR... but it has info about the EIDL LOAN AND GRANT (SBA.GOV)-- but just thought I should share in the business section as well. Forgive me for the mess in the video. The EIDL/grant portion starts at about 5:00 minute mark.

How to get the EIDL GRANT & OR LOAN- .

Full Length- (ENTERTAINMENT/EXPOSE) addressing PPP fraud in the Beef Sector.

MrzSpice

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
999 4
Alleybux
Great Thread. I’d like to open my own llc but struggling to figure out what sector it should be in

Ava96

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
My advice for the business owners is widen your business's online immediately. Don't waste your time because your business competitors have already done it. Discover exactly your ecommerce kpis. Ecommerce metrics make your success predictable, controllable, and data-driven.

TheM1ne

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,552 863 224
Alleybux
I own an e-commerce (apparel)

I know this is the wrong answer—but money. I was extremely desperate. Had a difficult journey during the pandemic. And it was awful for me. Especially with school. I couldn’t get a job. The CARES Act only helped certain students in the university that I was in + the university that I was in focuses solely on certain students (aka athletes) for money. While me and other ppl (who got in the university based on merit) scholarships dropped off, we were barely given $$$ for the semesters of Zoom university.

Previously, I was working an on campus job & since campus was closed I jump job from job due to what was happening whether if it was due to the tri-state/county lockdowns or on the last-one-in-first one out type of firing/letting go.

How did you go about starting your business? (resources you used)

I already had things. But never used them. I had a serger and sewing machine. I bought some Sherpa stuff & decided to sell cozy wear.

I say do not go and pay a 3rd party for an LLC, permit to sell, EIN number, or to open a business bank account. Despite the fact that they are barely functional—go to your state website for gov. stuff.

Asides from that, my advice is to start on a platform. Start on a platform similar to Etsy. Etsy is not good, just ok, but I’ll explain.

I technically was in business near the end of 2021, in Oct.

Yes. Sewing + packing room.

Do you have employees?

No. I trust no one. But I am going to have to have employees soon with packagings.

Though my advice would be to never ever let anyone see the numbers, profit, or any type of money that is being made unless they are a tax agent or bookkeeper.

Spent $325 on 3 different colors of Sherpa fabric.

February 2021. I constantly reinvest reinvest reinvest reinvest in the same carpet fabrics.

Absolutely not. I had nothing to lose because I already lost everything: scholarship fell through, apartment complex lock me out due to back rent, no job, and I was in-out many jobs. I think in my situation I was just lucky. I

Here’s my point: it takes a while for money to come in. Especially on Etsy. What I make sure to do is to make sure to be below the threshold amount before Etsy locks/freezes accts + sometimes it takes a month to receive $$$.

Start Small: At first I used Etsy as a platform. That was ok for me to do in the beginning. But as soon as I begin making serious gains, I make sure to buy a website & domain & someone services who knows how to build websites. I did this because I had close calls where I nearly was above threshold (and I did not want that) to have my money locked—in short I was making too much money on Etsy. I say this because of you make too much money on Etsy or other platforms similar, then they are going to take ALL your money.

Market Market Market: I solely used Pinterest at first: took lots of pictures at Starbucks with the cozy fits, took pics when I had an apt. since everyone was at home lockdown, and so on. Have to take pics and post. I then used Instagram, Google Ads/SEO thing, Twitter, and TikTok too. I’d say make sure to post at least 3-5 times a day & utilize not only your feed but the stories feature as well. Pounds or Hashtags are meh, you’ll get drowned out by everyone else, make sure to use keywords for your product, wording matters, description box matters, and all. If you plan to do hashtags make sure it is identifiable with your brand solely.
Do Not Be Afraid to Deviate from Niche: I did cozy sets at first but end up switching up to different popular stuff. Like, people are not buying cozy sets for the summer and people are going out more so I had to change & I did.