Quantcast

Do you think black women should listen to rap music?

Do you think black women should listen to rap music?

• Yes

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 81.8%

• Total voters

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
I've been debating if I should continue to listen to rap music. Every other word I hear is, "b!tches", "hoes". Also hear about some man liking "lightskinned, exotic looking women.", how men don't respect us and how we only want them for their money, you know the usual. I don't know if it's really healthy for me or any other black women to listen to.

To be honest a part of me doesn't want to stop because I feel like I would be, "out of the loop." I'm still fairly young and I feel like I would be seen as someone weird if I started telling people I didn't listen to rap music. I do find it listening to it to be kind of addicting as well, especially when I hear a beat I love. I also hate when people say just to listen to old school rap instead of today's rap because it's so toxic. It's always been toxic...all of the old school rappers people love to bring up that are "for black women" have always said something misogynistic in at least one of their songs.

JamQueen

JamQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
40,292 1,947 449
Alleybux
Depends on the song. Can’t stand the songs talking about big booty b!tches, calling women hoes, and just straight disrespecting women. Also can’t stand colorist songs, or songs with colorist rappers.

Kawaiilover

Lover Of All Things Cute!❤
Reaction score
Reactions
55,585 483 346
Alleybux
Personally for me I just can't support ppl who are colorist and promotes the degradation of ppl who look like me in their music. It takes away the entertainment this is why you have so many ppl who are bold enough to say anti-black women things on social media. Rap music gives them that green light.

You'll never hear a rapper degrade a white or asian women in their music when Dababy dissed JoJo Siwa he was rightfully called out but it's so normalized to talk about "nappy-headed hoes" in music no one bats an eye and I think that's rlly sad.
If I DO listen to rap it's either conscious rap but other than that i listen to pop,kpop, pop-rock etc.

cherrypop

i love hot sauce
Reaction score
Reactions
50,786 1,736 518
Alleybux
black women should be aware of how they are being portrayed in rap music, especially because men have such a monopoly on whats being produced

we need to know what men think of us, whats going in their minds. i dont think women should get criticised for listening to it, if anyone should be getting criticised it should be the men. we women are part of the demographic that has the most to lose

Amouage

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
891 6 14
Alleybux
Ehh, I stopped listening to the genre around 16-17. Unless it was a rapper I'd been listening to since before then (current artists like Drake, J.Cole) I wasn't into it. I'm 23 now and I'm so out of the loop on who these new people are and quite frankly I don't give a damn, lol. Their music does nothing for me and it's low vibrational. At least the music from the 2000s was catchy, had good enough lyrics/production to make you overlook some of the content or just laugh about it (Shake Ya' Ass by Mystikal, f.e. lmao).

A lot of these men are lost and I don't agree with most of what they condone so that alone turns me off from being interested in anything they attach their names to. It just doesn't hit. And it sucks because it's the trendy thing to be into that garbage solely. People use the music in their TikToks/IGs and so on to seem cool and down, knowing damn well they'd rather be bopping to some Paramore or Carly Rae Jepsen. It's so unnatural and disingenuous. Rant over, lol.

Last edited:

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
I've been debating if I should continue to listen to rap music. Every other word I hear is, "b!tches", "hoes". Also hear about some man liking "lightskinned, exotic looking women.", how men don't respect us and how we only want them for their money, you know the usual. I don't know if it's really healthy for me or any other black women to listen to.

To be honest a part of me doesn't want to stop because I feel like I would be, "out of the loop." I'm still fairly young and I feel like I would be seen as someone weird if I started telling people I didn't listen to rap music. I do find it listening to it to be kind of addicting as well, especially when I hear a beat I love. I also hate when people say just to listen to old school rap instead of today's rap because it's so toxic. It's always been toxic...all of the old school rappers people love to bring up that are "for black women" have always said something misogynistic in at least one of their songs.
Hip hop has always been my least listened to genre.

I am more into classic rock(not implying rock stars are saints), r&b, jazz, Motown, disco/funk, indie rock, alternative music, pop, singer-songwriters etc.

The hip hop I do enjoy the most is uplifting and conscious. Mainly 80s, 90s and early 2000s as well.

Gangsta rap is a massive NO for me in my personal playlist, as is the case for drill, mumble rap etc.

I’m not saying that I don’t “turn up” to those songs if they play at a party, but they’re not in my personal playlist.

Hip hop has always been a black male genre anyway, but owned by white Jewish men who run the record labels.

Metaphysique

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,065 696 303
Alleybux
I don’t care what others do. I haven’t actively listened to rap in two decades. I don’t even know who or what is popular. I know who was hot during the late 90s and early aughts, but beyond that, and hearing songs on the radio here and there, I don‘t go out of my way to listen to rap.

chocoLate290

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
87,971 4,207 1,986
Alleybux
At this point I think people in general should either stop listening to garbage music calling women all types of hoes or try to make better quality songs without the degrading lyrics, this sh!t is getting tired, how long do we have to listen to the same ignorant, insulting lyrics. I wonder how men would feel if all women started insulting them in their songs and sexualizing them, people are so used to listen to violent songs about women and to see women objectified that it has become a normal thing, that’s what they try to do, lower your vibrations to make you feel like sh!t, that’s why music consumers should make a wise choice and start supporting those who don’t perpetuate stereotypes or degrade others especially women on their way to the top

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
I think people should listen to whatever music they like.
Personally for me I just can't support ppl who are colorist and promotes the degradation of ppl who look like me in their music. It takes away the entertainment this is why you have so many ppl who are bold enough to say anti-black women things on social media. Rap music gives them that green light.

You'll never hear a rapper degrade a white or asian women in their music when Dababy dissed JoJo Siwa he was rightfully called out but it's so normalized to talk about "nappy-headed hoes" in music no one bats an eye and I think that's rlly sad.
If I DO listen to rap it's either conscious rap but other than that i listen to pop,kpop, pop-rock etc.

Exactly, I have always seen the worst aspects of hip hop culture as a modern day minstrel show.

Carosejoi

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,610 259 294
Alleybux

You pretty much know the right answer by even asking the question. If you're a group person it's hard not to go along and be part of your group. But you could even be brave and individualistic and listen to old music that wasn't degrading or beat without a tune like most rap.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
Ehh, I stopped listening to the genre all together around 16-17. Unless it was a rapper I'd been listening to since before then (current artists like Drake, J.Cole) I wasn't into it. I'm 23 now and I'm so out of the loop on who these new people are and quite frankly I don't give a damn, lol. Their music does nothing for me and it's low vibrational. At least the music from the 2000s was catchy, had good enough lyrics/production to make you overlook some of the content or just laugh about it (Shake Ya' Ass by Mystikal, f.e. lmao).

A lot of these men are lost and I don't agree with most of what they condone so that alone turns me off from being interested in anything they attach their names to. It just doesn't hit. And it sucks because it's the trendy thing to be into that garbage solely. People use the music in their TikToks/IGs and so on to seem cool and down, knowing damn well they'd rather be bopping to some Paramore or Carly Rae Jepsen. It's so unnatural and disingenuous. Rant over, lol.
I agree, I remember when I was 16 I got weird looks from other black girls in my sociology class because I took out a Led Zeppelin autobiography book from the library and I always used to wear band t shirts of my fave rock bands.

And I was having a conversation with our sociology teacher about Bruce Springsteen.

One of the girls even asked me why I listen to “white people stuff”, I told her first of all rock music was created by black folks first period. And that I listen to all sorts of music.

I really hate how a lot of us are pressurised into pretending we enjoy the genre/support the culture around it.

I remember when some ignorant fool tried to revoke my East African friend’s “black card” just because she said she doesn’t listen to much rap at all and never has.

Lastly, in 2019 at my old job one of my older black colleagues got offended after our white male colleague suggested she should become a rapper as a joke.

She responded to him “ I don’t listen to rap, not even back in the 90s. I like neo-soul, r&b, britpop rock bands like Oasis instead but thanks for for the stereotype”.

Last edited:

herbalmintea

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
171,786 7,962 1,970
Alleybux
I'll admit that I listen to some rap songs on streaming services but outside of that, I don't support these misogynists in a huge way. In fact, if the genre were to disappear tomorrow, I wouldn't care less.

Lilmisspriss

Pettiness has no curfew.
Reaction score
Reactions
145,541 3,765 318
Alleybux
I don’t go out of my way to support male rappers because I think most of them are low vibrational, colorist, and misogynistic asf. I’ll only go out of my way to listen to Black women in the genre:

Little Simz
CHIKA
Dreezy
No Name
Leikeli47
Junglepussy
Kari Faux
Chynna (Rip)
Bby Mutha
Tierra Whack
Rico Nasty

Avalanche21

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,269 654 632
Alleybux
You pretty much know the right answer by even asking the question. If you're a group person it's hard not to go along and be part of your group. But you could even be brave and individualistic and listen to old music that wasn't degrading or beat without a tune like most rap.
It's easier said than done.No one wants to be viewed as weird.Let's be honest.Black people are funny.
One minute we complain about destructive music and then when some of us refrain from engaging in certain behaviors we're labelled lame or corny.

I am lucky that I am at a point in my life where I am comfortab;e with who I am. Here's hoping that OP can tell people to F-OFF if they feel a way about her decisions.

lordly

well-known in the hysteria ward
Reaction score
Reactions
47,662 2,746 255
Alleybux
If it makes you uncomfortable cut the music out!
It's a shame that black people alienate those who have "alternative" interests, but you should reach a point as a person where you don't care what they think.

I don't listen to rap but I can't lie to myself EYE DO bop to Nicki Minaj's verses from time to time, besides that the music I listen to is different genres of music made by women.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
I don’t go out of my way to support male rappers because I think most of them are low vibrational, colorist, and misogynistic asf. I’ll only go out of my way to listen to Black women in the genre:

Little Simz
CHIKA
Dreezy
No Name
Leikeli47
Junglepussy
Kari Faux
Chynna (Rip)
Bby Mutha
Tierra Whack
Rico Nasty
Yeah I like Tierra Whack and Rico Nasty. I used to like Megan the Stallion when she first came out because to me she was original now it seems like she says the same thing in every song and panders to black men.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
If it makes you uncomfortable cut the music out!
It's a shame that black people alienate those who have "alternative" interests, but you should reach a point as a person where you don't care what they think.

I don't listen to rap but I can't lie to myself EYE DO bop to Nicki Minaj's verses from time to time, besides that the music I listen to is different genres of music made by women.
This! I got accused of being a white font on a thread about OutKast vs The Beatles, for saying I like both artists since my music tastes have always been very eclectic anyway.

Sigh.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
Yeah I like Tierra Whack and Rico Nasty. I used to like Megan the Stallion when she first came out because to me she was original now it seems like she says the same thing in every song and panders to black men.
The likes of Meghan Thee Stallion do nothing but promote the typical hyper xesual/black Jezebel stereotype.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
It's easier said than done.No one wants to be viewed as weird.Let's be honest.Black people are funny.
One minute we complain about destructive music and then when some of us refrain from engaging in certain behaviors we're labelled lame or corny.

I am lucky that I am at a point in my life where I am comfortab;e with who I am. Here's hoping that OP can tell people to F-OFF if they feel a way about her decisions.
I think I'm pretty comfortable with myself, but not going to lie I still have some insecurities like anyone else. I don't have an issue with cursing someone out, however I do think the more you do "fit in" with other people it's harder to make friends. I have known other young black people that don't listen to rap, but it's very few. A lot of people love to say to be yourself until you stand out somehow then all of a sudden you get all of these strange looks.

Amouage

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
891 6 14
Alleybux
I agree, I remember when I was 16 I got weird looks from other black girls in my sociology class because I took out a Led Zeppelin autobiography book and I always used to wear band t shirts of my fave rock bands.

And I was having a conversation with our sociology teacher about Bruce Springsteen.

One of the girls even asked me why I listen to “white people stuff”, I told her first of all rock music was created by black folks first period. And that I listen to all sorts of music.

I really hate how a lot of us are pressurised into pretending we enjoy the genre/support the culture around it.

I remember when some ignorant fool tried to revoke my East African friend’s “black card” just because she said she doesn’t listen to much rap at all and never has.

Lastly, in 2019 at my old job one of my older black colleagues got offended after our white male colleague suggested she should become a rapper as a joke.

She responded to him “ I don’t listen to rap, not even back in the 90s. I like neo-soul, r&b, britpop rock bands like Oasis instead but thanks for for the stereotype”.
People are uncomfortable with what they don't know and it's also a group-think mentality amongst them. People are afraid to be themselves because it's not considered the "norm" which is weird considering, but that's a conversation for another day, lol.

I relate to your experiences though. I grew up listening to all kinds of music from a young age so nothing was ever separated off that way for me. I was 9 years old talking about Celine Dion to my friends with no shame, haha. But I'm a product of my environment. People have this warped idea of what it means to really be a black person and some of our people unfortunately buy into that limiting standard. I dealt with that a lot in HS because I was "different," by their standards but I'd just lead them to their ignorance. I'd ask them questions to support their thinking such as "Why is listening to rap music or being from the hood the standard for what legitimizes my blackness?" Chile, the way their asses couldn't think of any proper response back because they realized how dumb they sounded, lol. I had to address this with both black and non-black students btw.

I'd rather listen to Stevie Nicks, Cher, Pearl Jam, Hole, and Queen. But at the same time I also enjoy Sade, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, and Nina Simone. It's called versatility which is something uncommon to them. The two can't exist for some reason, and if it doesn't fit into the box what they're familiar with then it isn't worth acknowledging. I take more pride in knowing my history and how I present myself vs defining myself by musical taste. That's what matters.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
I think I'm pretty comfortable with myself, but not going to lie I still have some insecurities like anyone else. I don't have an issue with cursing someone out, however I do think the more you do "fit in" with other people it's harder to make friends. I have known other young black people that don't listen to rap, but it's very few. A lot of people love to say to be yourself until you stand out somehow then all of a sudden you get all of these strange looks.
I have literally had “wtf” sort of responses made towards me from my own peers, fellow black colleagues in the workplace etc when discussing favourite music. It’s quite sad at times.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
People are uncomfortable with what they don't know and it's also a group-think mentality amongst them. People are afraid to be themselves because it's not considered the "norm" which is weird considering, but that's a conversation for another day, lol.

I relate to your sentiments though. I grew up listening to all kinds of music from a young age so nothing was ever separated off that way for me. I was 9 years old talking about Celine Dion to my friends with no shame, haha. But I'm a product of my environment. People have this warped idea of what it means to really be a black person and some of our people unfortunately buy into that limiting standard. I dealt with that a lot in HS because I was "different," by their standards but I'd just lead them to their ignorance. I'd ask them questions to support their thinking such as "Why is listening to rap music or being from the hood the standard for what legitimizes my blackness?" Chile, the way their asses couldn't think of any proper response back because they realized how dumb they sounded, lol.

I'd rather listen to Stevie Nicks, Cher, Pearl Jam, Hole, and Queen. But at the same time I also enjoy Sade, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, and Nina Simone. It's called versatility which is something uncommon to them. The two can't exist for some reason, and if it doesn't fit into the box what they're familiar with then it isn't worth acknowledging. I take more pride in knowing my history and how I present myself vs defining myself by musical taste. That's what matters.
I love everything you said, this is exactly how I feel as well.

I’ve always grown up listening to all sorts of music because growing up my parents played all sorts of music in the house because they own so many records.

From Michael Jackson to Nirvana, The Police to Bob Marley, Run DMC to Coldplay, my mum and dad like all sorts of music and this is the reason why myself and my siblings are heavily open minded too.
I would rather listen to Motown, Brazilian music, classic rock, vibrant music from African countries etc as opposed to low vibrational music was misogynoir lyrics and lyrics about killing other black people.

The hip hop I do listen to is positive:

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
I have literally had “wtf” sort of responses made towards me from my own peers, fellow black colleagues in the workplace etc when discussing favourite music. It’s quite sad at times.
I understand. I mostly listen to rap, but sometimes I'll music to pop, and old school rock. I'll usually keep it to myself because I don't want to hear, " wHy aRe u LIsTenInG TO wHYe PEoPLe MUsic?" like black people didn't invent rock in the first place.

I notice over the past few years that black people have been saying they've listened to Paramore and I'm really skeptical about that. I know some of us have, but all of these black people seemed to have come out of nowhere talking about how they loved misery business...like so we're some of you just hiding it or are you lying and you just want to seem "different"?

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
I understand. I mostly listen to rap, but sometimes I'll music to pop, and old school rock. I'll usually keep it to myself because I don't want to hear, " wHy aRe u LIsTenInG TO wHYe PEoPLe MUsic?" like black people didn't invent rock in the first place.

I notice over the past few years that black people have been saying they've listened to Paramore and I'm really skeptical about that. I know some of us have, but all of these black people seemed to have come out of nowhere talking about how they loved misery business...like so we're some of you just hiding it or are you lying and you just want to seem "different"?
This is what I noticed as well, it’s really sad seeing other black people labelling things originally created by us as “white people stuff”.

As if Chuck Berry, Prince, Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix and many others weren’t rock icons...

And LOOL I peeped the paramore thing as well and I was very suspicious about all of those people claiming to be die hard fans for years ...

Santigold

ɪ ꜱɪᴍᴘʟʏ ᴀᴍ ɴᴏᴛ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ.
Reaction score
Reactions
705,163 30,573 3,180
Alleybux
I very rarely listen to rap nowadays. It's degrading, hypersexual, sexist and colorist. That's why I honestly do not care when I see non-black people infiltrate the genre.

MrsRousteing

General Manager
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
39,389 3,052 1,400
Alleybux
Rap is a Minstrels Show, Doesn't matter who is Behind the Microphone. I have also left behind Female Rap which I loved when I was younger, Also I don't listen to Reggaeton Anymore which is Equally Sexiest and Colorist Gross.

I trying to get into Gospel Spirituals and old Jazz Music.

I really don't listen to any music TBH.

Music is a Sign of the Times and Even Neo-Soul hasn't Escaped Colorism and Harmful Stereotypes.

All Urban Music has pretty much become low vibrational