Quantcast

Do you think it’s possible to do tarot without involving spirituality?

Cryeisha

The High Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
166,823 21,299 10,690
Alleybux
I don’t want to bring spirituality into my readings anymore. I just want to do it for more ideas and my own intuition, if that makes sense.

Should I buy an oracle deck instead? I have a few decks I haven’t really used in any fortune telling ways so I think they would be in the clear.

Like I want to cut the WiFi out to the spirit world.

-
My religion is against tarot and fortune telling. (I’m still debating this personally but I want to be on the safe side)

Ms.Manganyi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,017 52 51
Alleybux
I personally don’t think it’s possible. But if your religion is against using spirit doing tarot doesn’t that mean it’s against tarot all together ?

Averila

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I don’t want to bring spirituality into my readings anymore. I just want to do it for more ideas and my own intuition, if that makes sense.

Should I buy an oracle deck instead? I have a few decks I haven’t really used in any fortune telling ways so I think they would be in the clear.

-
My religion is against tarot and fortune telling. (I’m still debating this personally but I want to be on the safe side)
It’s definitely possible but I’d question the accuracy of the reading. Basically everyone can flip oracle/tarot cards but without connection to the spirit world to receive guidance/messages, it’s just like a card game.

Divination methods like tarot are tools to connect with Spirit. You can try other divination like astrology or I Ching if you are against spirituality.

AhsokaTano98

Ahsoka, You Have Disappointed me 4 the Last Time
Reaction score
Reactions
25,164 643 456
Alleybux
No, no matter how to u slice it, you're inviting in demonic spirits. How the heck do you think those cards tell you anything? What your natural talents? No it's demons giving that information. You can't dabble in demonic ish and expect there's no spirituality involved.

emptybubbles

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,684 461 239
Alleybux
I'm confused here but it's probably because you're using 'spirituality' to refer to something specific. Please explain what exactly that word means to you. The definition of spirituality is "the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul" and this is the way I've always understood it. What exactly would be the point of reading tarot if you are not connected to anything divine or spiritual? You would just be playing a card game with yourself as the other poster mentioned.

LitIntuit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,814 299 323
Alleybux
if you are not operating out of spirituality/divinity then you'll probably just be pulling on the probability of the info you're seeking, you don't really need cards to do that. if not then where are you getting the messages from? you could try reading the cards at face value, but the way i see it, the act of reading is essentially the connection you are trying to server

Andenam

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,551 232 411
Alleybux
The whole use of them is a spiritual purpose. You would have to not be using them.

Ms.Manganyi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,017 52 51
Alleybux
No, no matter how to u slice it, you're inviting in demonic spirits. How the heck do you think those cards tell you anything? What your natural talents? No it's demons giving that information. You can't dabble in demonic ish and expect there's no spirituality involved.
SparseQuickAbyssiniancat-small.gif

TurkishDelight101

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,109 239 162
Alleybux
OP, reading Tarot with your "intuition" is using divine guidance. Where do you think those intuitive messages come from? I'm sure there are Tarot readers that don't see any mysticism in the cards and read them based off the little white book, but I'd definitely question the quality and the accuracy of the reading.

Andenam

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,551 232 411
Alleybux
Well aren't all sins inviting in demonic spirits?

Ourania

Ascending
Reaction score
Reactions
37,749 697 361
Alleybux
If you want to look at it from a psychological point of view, it certainly lends itself to a Jungian sort of framework. But even with that, matters of the spirit and the mind are intertwined. I don't think there's any way to avoid confronting the real issue here which seems to be your struggle to reconcile the tenets of your religion with what is, in fact, an occult practice. Guess you've got some soul searching to do.

Ezra Miller

⭐ DA NAME STAYS! PM ME FOR YOUR TAROT NEEDS ⭐
Reaction score
Reactions
287,385 9,793 5,304
Alleybux
If you can't reconcile your religion with your interests, then something's gotta give. It has nothing to do with the cards, just you trying to Jedi mind-trick your way into not feeling guilty.

SAFE184

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,349 1,800 277
Alleybux
^^ x2 to the two comments ahead of this.

What if instead of talking to “spirits” you were communicating with your subconscious? To me psychology and spirituality are dealing with the same material. One just omits the “spirit” part, and focuses on the “mind” and “emotions”. The process is the same.. identifying what’s going on inside (sometimes by deciphering what’s going on in your outside world), healing dysfunction, and facilitating the expression of your best self. A person comfortable with this process becomes powerful, intuitive and resilient. Their external life bears the fruit of their internal work as it always has, but this time, there is consciousness and intention.

Spiritual practices allow you to interface with your spirit, whether in celebration, planting seeds or to receive information. I mostly use my tarot cards as a temperature gauge, or to understand what energies I am currently dealing with + the over all theme/wisdom of the experience. Sometimes they can slap you out of denial/bias.

Which kind of leads us to @Ezra Miller post.. you kind of have two minds at war, so the things your subconscious mind may show you, or want to communicate will be at odds with the tight shoes you are trying to put on it. They may be seen as a threat to your ego, and the life it is trying to maintain externally. Viscerally, this really feels like a threat against your actual life, so that’s where the fear and spookiness comes from.

Venetta416

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
66,840 2,619 707
Alleybux
Your post is contradictory and it seems like you want to make justification for partaking in tarot so as to appease your religion (to make yourself feel less guilty for doing tarot)

thepseudonym

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,443 1,842 176
Alleybux
To some it's just just a game, I've owned tarot decks since I was child, I have yet to be possessed. :p If it makes you feel better pray for protection before you'play' with the cards. Anything can be a divination tool, you can take a normal playing deck for gambling and look up the meaning online, you dont have to necessairly buy tarot cards if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Also, one cant really tell youwhats wrong or right, you to figure that out for yourself, as someone else's taboo,can be a right for others.

Last edited:

Prettier

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,438 2,772 876
Alleybux
Yes.

I seen a reader who wasn’t religious or spiritual at all. There were actually really scientific and talk about the principles of energy.

FaunDoo

Mystic & Syndicalist
Reaction score
Reactions
37,306 685 466
Alleybux

Yeah, that's completely possible. You can shutdown or block your intuition (since its the main psychic/spiritual mechanism that is used in tarot & is the main thing attracting the attention of spirits, not the cards themselves).
It's the use of spiritual abilities that attracts spirits, not the objects you use to focus them.

Just shut it down completely and rely entirely on the Little White Book.

Cryeisha

The High Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
166,823 21,299 10,690
Alleybux
OP, reading Tarot with your "intuition" is using divine guidance. Where do you think those intuitive messages come from? I'm sure there are Tarot readers that don't see any mysticism in the cards and read them based off the little white book, but I'd definitely question the quality and the accuracy of the reading.
Actually I try to get God’s intervention when doing the tarot. Or an angel, rarely anything else that I can remember.

(this was for readings prior to this thread or when I thought it was problematic)

AhsokaTano98

Ahsoka, You Have Disappointed me 4 the Last Time
Reaction score
Reactions
25,164 643 456
Alleybux
This thread wasn't initially in psych alley, but in new age religion alley. A mod transferred it. The the only reason I commented because I never come into psych alley. I leave this part of LSA alone because its not my thing.