Quantcast

Do you think that some people are religious because they're afraid of the afterlife?

Baby Vanity

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,977 1,796 376
Alleybux
Need I say more, from a young age we...well most of us are taught that hell and all things bad in the afterlife come for you if you don't believe. I think it's our of fear because it instills fear in our kids so that they dedicate their lives to not going to hell. They spend their lives afraid. Do you think this is true and what are your opinions on this?

femi94ce

Alley Onager
Reaction score
Reactions
64,027 1,637 717
Alleybux
So what if they are? We all get to do life our own way, one way or the other.

LAFF

Cococure

HISS
Reaction score
Reactions
247,434 26,730 757
Alleybux
I think people are just afraid to not believe period.

The gag is that if they were really that scared they would not sin the way they do.

I think many people feel like they can do wtf they want to do as long as they always have time to repent :laugh:

None of it makes any sense to me.

Elamef

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,905 260 64
Alleybux
Pretty much. But it depends on who you ask. Some join in cause they are afraid of the afterlife like fear, etc., while some wanted a new leaf turn for them to show how "purified" they are. While some are just born in a religious household and have no choice but to join in, until they're old enough to make a decision for themselves. It can be an reasons but I do agree that it is fear of the afterlife most definitely.

brittlatcr

The 90s Era Rocks!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
1,056 23 23
Alleybux
Well I know that I have a personal relationship with The Lord, not religion so...I decided to come to Christ at an early age because, I truly always believed and trusted in Him. Not to mention, God almighty is very mysterious to me and yet at the same time, He lets it be known that you can still get to know Him each and everyday! I absolutely love, love that about Him and much more! In addition, I know for a fact that Heaven and Hell is real, I did not want to go to Hell either but would much rather spend eternity in "Paradise" with the Lord instead. Not because I was just afraid but, I wanted to get the chance to meet Him face to face one day and let Him know that I believed everything He had to say about what and why I was created for as well as, thank Him for sparing my eternal soul.

Bridgetown

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,176 344 34
Alleybux
Would you still be loyal to god if he didn't promise you heaven...
-Montana of 300

This was the first thing that popped in my head when I read the title. I think for a lot of people the answer would be no.

nzuricaramel

A Young Monied Million Heiress
Reaction score
Reactions
198,720 5,070 1,925
Alleybux
I don't understand why some have a problem with those who believe. It's not hurting you, so what's up? If God is real and they followed, hopefully they'll be saved. If he's not then they still tried to live a good life... it doesn't hurt anyone in the end but ppl still try to make it their business...

PinkLimonade

Jawbone Jeremee
Reaction score
Reactions
17,305 424 63
Alleybux
If I didn't have an ounce of belief in me I wouldn't have morals and I'd pobably be a lunatic right now killing people. Afterlife? No one really knows what happens I just want peace when my lights go out. I don't have a religion and I've never been baptized but I do believe I just hate to see people use God for evil.

awissa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,926 7,986 896
Alleybux
Maybe those who believe in eternal damnation or reincarnation . I won't like, it's why I can't let go completely. It's also keeping me alive because I honestly don't wanna be here. How ever according to certain church history, hell wasnt this big of a concept until they started loosing followers. But all I know is that I don't know and won't know until it comes, just like everybody else

gmmlaw

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,267 350 286
Alleybux
If I didn't have an ounce of belief in me I wouldn't have morals and I'd pobably be a lunatic right now killing people. Afterlife? No one really knows what happens I just want peace when my lights go out. I don't have a religion and I've never been baptized but I do believe I just hate to see people use God for evil.

You need belief in a higher power to be a decent person?

PinkLimonade

Jawbone Jeremee
Reaction score
Reactions
17,305 424 63
Alleybux
You need belief in a higher power to be a decent person?
No. There's lots of people who don't believe and can slaughter someone without blinking an eye or a reason. I have anger issues and sometimes I want to snap but I don't want to kill. Without morals I would be 2017 crazy and my belief is separate from my reasons.

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,305 8,451 7,808
Alleybux
Need I say more, from a young age we...well most of us are taught that hell and all things bad in the afterlife come for you if you don't believe. I think it's our of fear because it instills fear in our kids so that they dedicate their lives to not going to hell. They spend their lives afraid. Do you think this is true and what are your opinions on this?

Only people who have no values and no value system ask these types of questions.

animelover

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,360 1,761 139
Alleybux
No. I think this would only be true if you are a child or child-like in intellect.

For the rest, I think they believe because it gives them guidance and comfort/solace during life, not after it.

theVer

Fenty Auto Insurance Rep
Reaction score
Reactions
93,989 2,665 1,409
Alleybux
I don't understand why some have a problem with those who believe. It's not hurting you, so what's up? If God is real and they followed, hopefully they'll be saved. If he's not then they still tried to live a good life... it doesn't hurt anyone in the end but ppl still try to make it their business...
Religion does hurt people. Where are you from?

Baby Vanity

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
89,977 1,796 376
Alleybux
Where did I say I had a problem.? I only asked a question because I wanted to know. The question popped into my head so I wanted an answer. Sometimes religion is toxic to those who are raised under strict religious parents who scare their children into this you're going to hell status. At least that's what I experienced growing up in a religious family and the church we went to, they said we had to do this, this, this, and that to prevent us from going to hell. I was just wondering if that was the only reason I and the other children believed.

PinkLimonade

Jawbone Jeremee
Reaction score
Reactions
17,305 424 63
Alleybux
Where did I say I had a problem.? I only asked a question because I wanted to know. The question popped into my head so I wanted an answer. Sometimes religion is toxic to those who are raised under strict religious parents who scare their children into this you're going to hell status. At least that's what I experienced growing up in a religious family and the church we went to, they said we had to do this, this, this, and that to prevent us from going to hell. I was just wondering if that was the only reason I and the other children believed.
Sometimes people use religion to hurt others and they are straight up mental. You're not suppose to put fear and guilt in people that's why I follow my own path. Sometimes I look at people's religions(The church for sure) and shake my head because they use God's name for evil and nonsense.

nzuricaramel

Reaction score
Reactions
198,720 5,070 1,925
Alleybux

I didn't say you had a problem I wrote "I don't understand why SOME have a problem" meaning everyday people

nzuricaramel

Reaction score
Reactions
198,720 5,070 1,925
Alleybux
Religion does hurt people. Where are you from?

The specific question op asked and my answer to op's question, it doesn't hurt ppl to believe in God. If you decide to take it upon yourself and hurt ppl because they dont wanna belive or whatever, then that's on you but simply believing in God doesn't hurt anyone. That's what my answer was about when I said:

"I don't understand why some have a problem with those who believe. It's not hurting you, so what's up? If God is real and they followed, hopefully they'll be saved. If he's not then they still tried to live a good life... it doesn't hurt anyone in the end but ppl still try to make it their business..."

missmaya99

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
47,029 2,707 457
Alleybux
I think people fear the afterlife and they also shudder at the thought of being in this life without a Jesus to hold their hand through things that happen that are really, really hard. The thought that we really are on our own in this life would take away so much hope and I think that scares people a lot.

LeBronFan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,803 2,676 1,826
Alleybux
Personally, I believe grown folks tend to be religious because they have a difficult time believing in themselves.

To me a lot of religious people, would rather put their faith in a religion or a being they call GOD. Then put faith in themselves.

I think most religious people are more afraid of putting faith in themselves, than wondering if there actually is an afterlife.

These are just my thoughts though.

* :cloudy: :cloudy: :cloudy: *

Remy Newport

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
298,631 6,108 4,257
Alleybux
I'm not sure if you go to hell for not believing. You go to hell because you do fµcked up things. Religion is partly to keep people in check with fear and quite frankly when you see how fµcked up many people are today, perhaps a little fear would have prevented them from doing some bad things. There is a thread on here about 2-3 people who xesually abused a mentally challenged girl. Do you think someone with the fear of hell would do that? Now they are going to hell except on earth it is spelled jail.

NZURI

Delete Account
Reaction score
Reactions
257,693 8,171 8,001
Alleybux
No, but if I wasn't religious, I probably would fear the afterlife. As a Christian, I look forward to Christ's return.

Sweetiepiie

I'm walking on sunshine
Reaction score
Reactions
155,925 4,475 2,414
Alleybux
Absolutely. I would even argue that 95% of religious people would not be religious if afterlife didn't exist in their religion.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,338 73 139
Alleybux
I think people are just afraid to not believe period.

The gag is that if they were really that scared they would not sin the way they do.

I think many people feel like they can do wtf they want to do as long as they always have time to repent :laugh:

None of it makes any sense to me.

I agree, they have their get out out of jail free card as long as they keep repenting for the same sins they keep repeating

liddorascal

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,536 76 37
Alleybux

I think it’s a combination of that and a cause/effect mentality that reinforces it. There are cases where people do believe if they do X, God will provide or excuse Y. In other cases I think some people are just religious because it gives their life structure, some for social reasons and a bunch of other reasons, but not necessarily because they don’t want to go to hell.

lilham

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
73,113 3,660 428
Alleybux
One of the first questions people ask me in regards to atheism is about the afterlife; they're pretty surprised when I say I don't spend too much time thinking about it. So I do believe it is a high priority for some. Also, when Christopher Hitchens was dying, people asked him constantly if his opinion of religion changed. It wouldn't be asked if it wasn't the motivation of quite a few people.

James E Holiday

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
No, not of the afterlife, but death and having no real purpose or justification for the human condition. Many religions present a scenario where death is not the end, but merely a transition, and after that transition, all the suffering and hardship you endured during life will be worthwhile in the end. Sure, you have negative afterlife concepts like Hell, but that is more for keeping folks in line while they are alive.

Run CMD

C:\>_
Reaction score
Reactions
12,491 427 159
Alleybux
I believe that the only reason mankind has gods or religions in because they had no way of explaining the natural phenomenon around them. This includes what happens after a person dies. Of course since we can explain this stuff (most of this stuff) with science you'd think we'd get away from it but it's so ingrained into our culture we can't.

trueblue85

TouchTheSky
Reaction score
Reactions
1,780 40 27
Alleybux
Some people but not all. I don't consider myself religious but I believe in a higher power most of the time. I say most because there are days when I struggle with my belief. My belief at this point is not about the afterlife. Sometimes I just find it comforting to believe in something greater than myself that is looking out for me because I know that no matter how hard I try I know that I can't control everything. When I am struggling with my belief and question the existence of a higher power I tend to worry more and feel anxious.