Quantcast

Does Anyone Else Only Really Use the Desktop Mode in Windows 8?

sierrale

General Manager
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
158 3 4
Alleybux
Fellow Windows 8 sufferers do you only use the desktop mode in Windows 8, or do you use the apps too?

Reaction score
Reactions
1,344 2
Alleybux
I only use desktop mode. The app selection isn't that great and they run slow.

Mrs Lemonis

Lake Forest Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
255 2
Alleybux
I only use the Netflix app. I use desktop for everything else. That app page is annoying.

QuincyMcCallin

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,571 112 39
Alleybux
Girl... I don't touch that other ish, unless I'm trying to search for something.

missnobueno

Sauce
Reaction score
Reactions
4,425 68 34
Alleybux
Fellow Windows 8 sufferers do you only use the desktop mode in Windows 8, or do you use the apps too?

Yes! I rarely use the app unless I want to pin the information to the side and use it while I'm typing something, like the Wikipedia app, Bing, etc. I am a huge fan of Microsoft but they dropped the ball in some aspects of Windows 8. Let's hope that the upcoming Windows 8 is a bit better. I've heard that they are supposed to bring metro style to Office as well.

Dean Winchester

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
348,603 10,296 2,102
Alleybux
Desktop mode since day 1.

The tiles/apps don't make sense to me if it's not touch screen.

I can't wait to get my MACBOOK.

Witty_Houston

Nothing But Love
Reaction score
Reactions
39,460 602 585
Alleybux
I only use desktop mode. I didn't really want apps on my computer anyway. I feel like I'm going to back room when I have to figure where a program went. I had to make shortcuts for all the stuff I regularly use.

cmc1974

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
27,936 74 29
Alleybux
Desktop only. I wish that it would just load the damn desktop screen on boot.

Blubyrd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
369,402 14,178 2,389
Alleybux
Metro is awful. I use the Desktop mode exclusively. Runs and looks just like Windows 7

apples

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,662 6,475 5,265
Alleybux
I don't like change. I use desktop mode.
The apps bore me.
The best ones want you to go directly to the site to download and my attention span is too short for me to keep doing all of that.
A lot of the apps suck ass.
For example, the VLC player app never loads properly. The regular program download always works perfectly fine.
Even though the FB app is okay I still prefer to go on it through my browser. I will get notifications in my browser and on my phone minutes before the app notifies me.

Also, my computer has that Dolby audio issue. I noticed only the apps downloaded through the store are affected.

The live tiles are a fail.

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,612 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
Nah. Not feeling the tiles and what have you. Classic mode only.

(I use Windows through Paramallels.)

Tea Please

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,360 343 195
Alleybux
Mostly desktop, but my laptop flips into a tablet so I sometimes access my software in that mode

ICUWatchinMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,156 2,768 1,137
Alleybux
These changes are the reason why I got a Mac. I still have a Windows but all the damn changes to Windows OS pissed me off.

Pygmy

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
1,207 54 78
Alleybux
The majority of the time I ONLY use desktop, but the app mode has just enough functionally-useful sh!t on there that I don't totally ignore it.

I use the calendar as my planner, and it DOES work out for me great. I check the weather through TWC app. Sometimes I peek into the CNN app to see what's going on.

The MAIL app is super-useful; I rigged it up so all my emails from ALL my inboxes (whether school, private, etc) goes directly to there. It makes keeping up with my emails way less time-consuming. I only recently set that one up but it's so good I wonder why that didn't occur to me sooner.

I occasionally use the XBox Music app too, and I have a Kindle app that came in handy at one point, but most of my apps...yeah, I don't really use them.

gotbeebee34

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,864 207 21
Alleybux
Desktop mode since day 1.

The tiles/apps don't make sense to me if it's not touch screen.

I can't wait to get my MACBOOK.

You'll regret this (unless you've already had a Apple product and liked it). I bought a MacBook just to see what all the hype was about and I personally hate their Operating Systems 10x more than I do Windows 8. They make the simplest things complicated just to be "different."

Pygmy

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
1,207 54 78
Alleybux
I should add here that maybe I use the app mode slightly more because my computer has a touch screen. I agree with whoever said that if you don't, in a lot of ways the app tiles just kinda get in the way and are probably a pain in the ass more often than not.

I don't understand why people don't get touchscreen laptops more often. They don't cost that much, honestly. The newer version of the laptop I have now...is only like $400. Yes, really. And I'm pissed off about that, because I paid nearly $800 for mine, or probably a little over that (I knew I needed a laptop for college, and my school has a program that lets you funnel some of your school money directly for that purpose, so I took them up on it; I don't regret it, because now more and more I'm seeing worried faces in class when the teacher tells us our French homework has to be completed online, that sort of thing).

heiwa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,968 211 47
Alleybux
I only use Desktop. If I accidentally hit the bottom left corner and get taken to the apps, I get my ass right back to the Desktop!

Runway Diva

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,991 102 18
Alleybux
I mainly only use the desktop. I had my laptop configured to go directly to the desktop when I turn it on and brought the original start button back. I can toggle back and forth to the apps but I only use a few.

SadSadSong

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,024 4,981 3,648
Alleybux
That tile screen is the DUMBEST thing Microsoft has ever created and that's saying A LOT. I have a MAC but I bought a laptop for my Mom and I refused to get her the Windows 8 OS for that very reason. Windows 7 ALL the way.

Pygmy

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
1,207 54 78
Alleybux
That tile screen is the DUMBEST thing Microsoft has ever created and that's saying A LOT. I have a MAC but I bought a laptop for my Mom and I refused to get her the Windows 8 OS for that very reason. Windows 7 ALL the way.

I think Microsoft overestimated and assumed that by now EVERY laptop released would have a touchscreen and were trying to get ahead of the game by making Windows 8 the way it is, and it backfired.

But I can see why they thought touchscreen lappies would be more popular than they are now, it just didn't work out that way, but like I said before, it could, because the price of them has really come down ALOT, it's not really beyond most people's budgets, but for whatever reasons, people will spend over a grand on a MACBook...and the bastard doesn't even have touchscreen capability, then in class they see you touching your laptop screen to do something and they're like "Oh wow!" and you spent $500 LESS than they did.

People need to stop falling for Apple's game. You're getting LESS computer for the money with them. Way less. Do you know what kind of standard PC laptop you could get for the same amount you pay for a basic MacBook, how many different bells and whistles you could have? Apple knows they're scamming people because there's no way in hell that you should be able to buy a computer that can do 50x more sh!t than a MacBook, for,in most cases, less than half the cost of a MacBook, but yet people are still dropping coin on Apple computers in droves. :bulgy-eyes:

SadSadSong

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,024 4,981 3,648
Alleybux
I think Microsoft overestimated and assumed that by now EVERY laptop released would have a touchscreen and were trying to get ahead of the game by making Windows 8 the way it is, and it backfired.

But I can see why they thought touchscreen lappies would be more popular than they are now, it just didn't work out that way, but like I said before, it could, because the price of them has really come down ALOT, it's not really beyond most people's budgets, but for whatever reasons, people will spend over a grand on a MACBook...and the bastard doesn't even have touchscreen capability, then in class they see you touching your laptop screen to do something and they're like "Oh wow!" and you spent $500 LESS than they did.

People need to stop falling for Apple's game. You're getting LESS computer for the money with them. Way less. Do you know what kind of standard PC laptop you could get for the same amount you pay for a basic MacBook, how many different bells and whistles you could have? Apple knows they're scamming people because there's no way in hell that you should be able to buy a computer that can do 50x more sh!t than a MacBook, for,in most cases, less than half the cost of a MacBook, but yet people are still dropping coin on Apple computers in droves. :bulgy-eyes:

I have issues with Apple and their restrictive OS so I don't disagree with what you're saying but I will say this; my Macbook has lasted 4+ years and I RARELY shut that thing down. It still runs relatively smoothly which is the main reason I bought a MAC. Those things will last you. I've had TOO many computers that have started to slow down in a years time and I was just not here for it anymore.

nicsala

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,381 425 170
Alleybux
desktop only

my desktop is touch screen and i never use that feature or the apps

i used to have a touchscreen laptop that flipped to a tablet--never used the tablet or the touchscreen

to me touchscreen is pointless unless it's my phone and tablets are pointless if i have a phone. i wont even buy another laptop unless i can justify the cost. if i can't get it done on this desktop that cost me a fortune it's not getting done.

off topic, sue me

NaciEagle

Made In America
Reaction score
Reactions
284 12 23
Alleybux
You can't beat a Mac when it comes to wireless network issues. It's been years since i've been on windows 7, but i always had a hassle joining differing wireless networks.

I bought a MacBook just to see what all the hype was about and I personally hate their Operating Systems 10x more than I do Windows 8. They make the simplest things complicated just to be "different."

gotbeebee34

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,864 207 21
Alleybux
You can't beat a Mac when it comes to wireless network issues. It's been years since i've been on windows 7, but i always had a hassle joining differing wireless networks.

I literally only used mine once and I did it by a wired connection. They have wireless connections seriously? Smh I swear a lot of apple products are bought solely because its name. A lot of people I know tell me they regret purchasing their products because there's always some problem (specifically iphones).

mandyfresh

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
546 25 11
Alleybux
I hardly ever use the app screen. Desktop all day! Lol

Queen Vicki

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I use a Mac for work and a Windows laptop for other stuff :disdain: but Microsoft can stick those apps right up their ass! When I got this laptop with Windows 8.1 the first thing I did was reconfigure everything I could to get it acting as old school as possible. Even downloaded Classic Shell to get the old Start button back. I'm surprised people haven't been reporting seizures for how much the screen jumps around like a yt boy on speed if you dare to go too close to the sides or corners. Turned that ish off quickly too. F your apps Microsoft!!
%2Bpeeing-5%2B.gif
:flipa: