Quantcast

Does anyone know how to make good au gratin potatoes?

Onyxprincess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,150 1,546 1,886
Alleybux
Does anyone know how to make really good au gratin potatoe?

I‘be never made them before - I want to make them for Easter.

A lot of people complain that their potatoes stay hard after baking - should u parboil the potatoes?

Do you need a mandoline?

Chip

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,968 477 61
Alleybux
I make them without parboiling if they're sliced thin enough. You cover them while cooking and the steam should keep them moist if you have enough liquid. Then take off the foil in the end to brown.

I don't use a mandolin, I just slice them by hand. I like mine garlicky and with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe and no exact measurements but this just gives you an idea what to use.

Saute your garlic in the butter and flour to make a roux and add milk. If you use heavy cream instead of milk you can omit the flour. Add chicken bouillon (Goya or Better Than Bouillon), onion powder, creole seasoning (or salt), pepper, chives, and poultry seasoning or sage. I'm guessing about tsp of each but way more chives, maybe TB. You'll have to go by taste.

Layer it like you do lasagna (potatoes then sauce, mozzarella, parm, repeat). Completely cover the top with mozzarella, parm and chives. You can sprinkle a little olive oil on top if you want and bake at 400 for about 30-45 minutes, remove the foil and bake about 30 minutes more.

Last edited:

LoLu10Plus

Laughter is the best medicine.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
I used to make them and actually cook them directly in the milk amd cream. And the poster above is correct, it only works well if all of your pieces are the same size and there’s enough room in your pan.
I used Martha Stewart’s recipe as a guide and then zhushed it up myself.

Good luck and Happy Easter!!

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,132 11,494 3,304
Alleybux
Does anyone know how to make really good au gratin potatoe?

I‘be never made them before - I want to make them for Easter.

A lot of people complain that their potatoes stay hard after baking - should u parboil the potatoes?

Do you need a mandoline?
This is old but I make good ones - had friends/fam try it. I cut them 1/8 inch thick by hand with a chopping knife. It's thin enough so I don't need to pre-boil it.

I make a roux, basically butter, add some flour and cook for a few minutes. Then I add heavy cream, butter and my favorite seasonings. Then I make a layer of potatoes, add the white sauce, then lawyer with cheese, then a layer of potatoes and continue. I cook it for about 1 hr - 1.5 hours depending on the oven setting.

Eclair

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
866 14 13
Alleybux
You have plenty of time to try a few recipes before Easter. And, practice makes perfect!
I do want a mandolin, just easier for me to keep slices thin and even.

zansanchez

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,427 1,458 203
Alleybux
have done the heston blumenthal ones
one you thin slice potatoes
bake for 4 hours in cream & butter
cant find recipe

but use the joy of cooking one
roux
boiled potatoes

buen provecho!

Eclair

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
866 14 13
Alleybux
Careful with them; may just invest in a good food processor with an electric vegetable slicer attached
True, mandolins can be Dangerous. I’ve had a few “errors” so I pay close attention when using one - no chitchat or distractions. But the slicer on a food processor is only one thickness. There are protective gloves which gave me too much confidence and did tear open. Slowly does it best.

Mipsaf

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,689 4,421 2,485
Alleybux
True, mandolins can be Dangerous. I’ve had a few “errors” so I pay close attention when using one - no chitchat or distractions. But the slicer on a food processor is only one thickness. There are protective gloves which gave me too much confidence and did tear open. Slowly does it best.
I think there are some with different settings