Quantcast

Does Mya have influence on this current era?

MaxxxinePain

Stop Snitching
Reaction score
Reactions
11,307 117 142
Alleybux
I loveeeee Mya but we gotta stop rewriting history when people fall off. She had a couple cute bops and could follow some choreo but let’s not insult Ciara.

Luvlady345

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,979 2,101 1,842
Alleybux
Uhmm Ciara is only bigger because of her husband ..I loved me some Mya and still do..
Y'all need to stop. Nobody was talking about Russell before he got with Ciara. Him and his ex-wife were on no one radar from the Urban Blogs, Mainstream Media, or on LSA. Y'all don't talk about any other football or elevate them but Russell is suppose to elevate Ciara?

AmesD

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
63,392 2,153 1,439
Alleybux
Uhmm Ciara is only bigger because of her husband ..I loved me some Mya and still do..
No doubt both C and Russell got a boost in the public eye for being a non-problematic, beautiful black family. Still, even before getting with Russell, Ciara had hit records and lucrative modeling and TV deals. Love on Mya as much as you want -I like her, too- but let's not lie on Ciara.

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,188 3,377 785
Alleybux
I loveeeee Mya but we gotta stop rewriting history when people fall off. She had a couple cute bops and could follow some choreo but let’s not insult Ciara.
How is that insulting Ciara? 3 successful albums a Grammy isn’t just a couple cute bops. Was Mya a blockbuster seller like Alicia Keys no but she wasn’t just some footnote either

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,188 3,377 785
Alleybux
Agree. Mya should of taken full control of her music and image like Christina did with Stripped and went full pop.

I loved Moodring (2003). That should of been a big turning point in her career. The label dropped the ball by only releasing two singles.
Y’all fail to realize while Christina took control of her music she had Ron Fair backing her to guide her on her first 3 albums. Mya didn’t have that. She worked with Ron on Moodring but once again label mergers threw her off. I think she should’ve went to RCA or Arista. Christina was a rare case of an artist being allowed to do what they want that early in their career. Steve Stoute said himself some at Interscope were pushing Mya to urban and others to pop. They didn’t know how to handle her career and she said she no choice but to oblige to even get her music to be released

No Comment

Support Black Artist!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
44,322 1,047 620
Alleybux

Ciara was Ciara before Russel and she’s still CIARA.

To answer OP, I’ve said in the past that Tinashe is the Mya of her generation. Both are Bi-racial, both dance, and both are seen as the least memorable or successful artist from their gen. It being Mya AFTER Aaliyah, Brandy, and Monica. It being Tinashe AFTER Kehlani, SZA, and Jhene. However, I think these are more similarities than Tinashe being influenced by Mya. Tinashe has a Biracial Britney Spears thing going on about her and I think she’ll tell you Janet/Britney before Mya.

In fact, all these girls in OP probably would.

In the case of Normani, she is more Janet than anything, but I guess since she likes dancing in heels, she’s a Bey wannabe. e1

I don’t really see Victoria as a dancer/singer hybrid even though I know she dances. I think her brand is still Singer/Song-writer. I get Aaliyah vibes from her though.

Oh and Ciara absolutely has impact. Folks stay sampling her and there were Ciara copycats popping up when she was still in her peak. She was part of the big three (Bey, Rih, and CiCi.) Stop playing with her!

beatrixkiddo1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,434 2,302 906
Alleybux
No, but I still rock with her 100%. She actually doesn't get enough love for supplying HITS consistently for like a solid 2-3 year period.

ChaiSpice

HEATED CHURCH GIRL
Reaction score
Reactions
12,566 214 86
Alleybux
It's hard for me to say that Mya had influence. I really like her but she didn't have a signature sound unlike Brandy and Aaliyah. All of her albums were kinda all over the place. She didn't have a solid brand.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,887 1,149 1,224
Alleybux
Ciara was Ciara before Russel and she’s still CIARA.

To answer OP, I’ve said in the past that Tinashe is the Mya of her generation. Both are Bi-racial, both dance, and both are seen as the least memorable or successful artist from their gen. It being Mya AFTER Aaliyah, Brandy, and Monica. It being Tinashe AFTER Kehlani, SZA, and Jhene. However, I think these are more similarities than Tinashe being influenced by Mya. Tinashe has a Biracial Britney Spears thing going on about her and I think she’ll tell you Janet/Britney before Mya.

In fact, all these girls in OP probably would.

In the case of Normani, she is more Janet than anything, but I guess since she likes dancing in heels, she’s a Bey wannabe. e1

I don’t really see Victoria as a dancer/singer hybrid even though I know she dances. I think her brand is still Singer/Song-writer. I get Aaliyah vibes from her though.

Oh and Ciara absolutely has impact. Folks stay sampling her and there were Ciara copycats popping up when she was still in her peak. She was part of the big three (Bey, Rih, and CiCi.) Stop playing with her!
The big 3 were rih bey and alicia.

Emaximin

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,242 676 218
Alleybux
Mya released 8 albums and has 5 platinum and multi platinum singles.

Ciara released 7 albums and has 17 platinum and multi platinum singles.

Their careers really aren't the same and they would make terrible verzuz. Current artists have said that Ciara has influenced them. Like someone else said, her songs are already being sampled. Lil Baby has said he's done with features right now, but would make an exception for Ciara because she's Atl royalty.
Not to diminish Mya in any way because I love her too and she definitely had her success. Believe it or not, she has more platinum singles than Ashanti and Keyshia Cole, but I don't see her influencing anything today.
I almost forgot about Level Up. Ciara created a movement with that song. Nissan licensed Level Up for a commercial. I see many many brands using the phrase Level Up in their advertising. The Senator that won in AZ, used Level Up in his campaign commercial. The Level Up challenge went viral and the video is almost at 300 million views. So yeah, Ciara is still influential to many and Level Up was a song she wrote, released on her own label and had no promo or much radio airplay.

Give credit where it's due.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,887 1,149 1,224
Alleybux
It was Bey Rih and Ciara. By the time Rihanna blew up Alicia was fading.
Alicia? Fading? TEOF outsold Fantasy Ride the same year. Girl On Fire also did better than all of Ciara’s albums post the evolution. “No One” was one of the last big r & b records for a long time.

Neither of them are doing great now but you’re delusional if you think Ciara had a better career than Alicia. Ciara peaked by her second album and doesnt have the stats or acclaim to be ranked with Rihanna or Beyonce.

Last edited:

Luvlady345

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,979 2,101 1,842
Alleybux
Alicia? Fading? TEOF outsold Fantasy Ride the same year. Girl On Fire also did better than all of Ciara’s albums post the evolution.

Neither of them are doing great now but you’re delusional if you think Ciara had a better career than Alicia. Ciara peaked by her second album and doesnt have the stats or acclaim to be ranked with Rihanna or Beyonce.
Doing great now? Chile Ciara's business portfolio begs to differ.

Luvlady345

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,979 2,101 1,842
Alleybux
Because she converted her career into being a socialite/football wife. It works for her, but the music and acting career wasnt hitting.
Ciara is not a socialite or just a wag. Do you understand what business means? It's called diversity if musicians count on music to eat they have already loss. Music don't make you money that's why so many artist ESPECIALLY black artist are broke. Because they don't know how to diversify.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,887 1,149 1,224
Alleybux
Ciara is not a socialite or just a wag. Do you understand what business means? It's called diversity if musicians count on music to eat they have already loss. Music don't make you money that's why so many artist ESPECIALLY black artist are broke. Because they don't know how to diversify.
You can make money on music. Tours and publishing.

And girl Ciara has a couple of endorsements here and there but lets not act like she’s perched on forbes lists or moving millions of dollars with her “company”.

her career transitioned into a media personality because the music has been shaky since 2009 and her acting career never really took off.

Good for her for staying booked with the modeling and hosting gigs though.

Luvlady345

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,979 2,101 1,842
Alleybux
You can make money on music. Tours and publishing.

And girl Ciara has a couple of endorsements here and there but lets not act like she’s perched on forbes lists or moving millions of dollars with her “company”.

her career transitioned into a media personality because the music has been shaky since 2009 and her acting career never really took off.

Good for her for staying booked with the modeling and hosting gigs though.
And Ciara has done just that her last sold out solo tour in 2019 off her last Beauty Marks albums which had platinum and gold hit singles, had over 250 million streams off of that album, 2 songs off of that album was licensed for commercials and a movie. She also own her masters, she had a tv show in 2019 which she was executive producers and well as a judge it was picked up for a second season, she also has her own record label and signed a artist, also a movie production company.
Also Ciara has a clothing line under their LR&C house, A fragrance line, co-owner of a Soccer team, child I can go on. You need to search Ciara's name on LSA with all the businesses she is doing and have.

MarleyG

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,762 616 684
Alleybux
People were arguing on Twitter about this. The topic of Verzuz came up and people said it should be Mya vs Ciara. I personally disagreed because they’re not peers & other said Ciara would kill her and she had too much influence/impact on the game.

If I’m being honest Tinashe, Normani(I know everyone says Bey but I just don’t see it tbh) and Victoria Monet all give me Mya tease.

& do y’all see Ciara’s influence? I’m genuinely interested in this
Mya has jumped on the vegan bandwagon. I’ve seen her Facebook and she’s very uninteresting and always has been to me. Just another industry pass around who is washed up but aged well.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,887 1,149 1,224
Alleybux
Mya has jumped on the vegan bandwagon. I’ve seen her Facebook and she’s very uninteresting and always has been to me. Just another industry pass around who is washed up but aged well.
Was Mya really a pass around though? I feel like 50 cent said that as he’s usually messy and everyone just took his word for it.

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,188 3,377 785
Alleybux
Was Mya really a pass around though? I feel like 50 cent said that as he’s usually messy and everyone just took his word for it.
He literally lied and apologized to her behind that. But let the birds chirp on here when they don’t like somebody they commit to it lmao

mikesan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,188 3,377 785
Alleybux
Bandwagon? She’s been DOCUMENTED being a Vegan for years. All those promiscuous rumors about her have been debunked but regardless if she was, is she not a grown ass woman that can do whatever tf she wants??

UniquelyGemini

Established
Reaction score
Reactions
141,788 6,198 1,771
Alleybux
IDK if Mya is a pass around but I remember years ago reading about her and Ashanti going on Dubai trips....and how certan women maintain their lifestyles YEARSSS after anyone even cares about their music like that anymore.

FISTOPHER

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
29,682 876 487
Alleybux
Mya and Ciara are on similar levels music-wise (and pre-Russell fame).
Neither were hugely successful, but they were both popular.

Mya did pretty well in the early 00s, by the time Ciara came out her career was over.

MarleyG

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,762 616 684
Alleybux
Bandwagon? She’s been DOCUMENTED being a Vegan for years. All those promiscuous rumors about her have been debunked but regardless if she was, is she not a grown ass woman that can do whatever tf she wants??
And how does she benefit your existence?

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,155 4,491 4,365
Alleybux
I know Tinashe is influenced a lot by Janet, Sade, Christina and Aaliyah, but she actually reminds me more of Mya. She has a sweet voice that sounds good live, she can dance really well. They are both gorgeous and talented ladies that got lost in the shuffle. The music is always good tho.

Redd_Blitz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
19,520 2,295 3,980
Alleybux
Aaaaah, does this generation even first know who da hell Mya is??? Lmao This generation is on a completely whole nuva level.

Last edited:

ZiggyBoo

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
960 4 2
Alleybux
Mya career felt so short for some reason. It’s like she came too late riding the last wave of Brandy, Monica, Usher and Aaliyah.

By the time Mya came out teen pop was exploding and there was no longer room for Mya.

If she was smart she should have done pop music completely.

She refused Jay Z’s xesual advances .. and then dated Bryce Wilson who cheated on her. She got that “f$&* for beats” reputation

Redd_Blitz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
19,520 2,295 3,980
Alleybux
Ciara would destroy Alicia Keys in verse sweetie

Ok, but why in da fuq in Wakanda would anyone compare the two?? Two totally different artists there. *Smh* I really don't get some of these off balanced, unmatched dreamed up versuz battles lmao