Quantcast

Doja Cat Discussion/Appreciation/Tea Thread

TiaJ88

Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
119,896 1,940 1,313
Alleybux
You know what I don't get? M3gan gets more industry support and publicity than DC but her fans have created a whole inferiority complex when it comes to her and DC.

tenor.gif

I like both for different reasons as each has what the other lacks, but it is weird to see people getting nasty about Doja’s success when she doesn’t really do much.

Doja doesn’t have any major magazine covers, NY Times Op-Eds, no major interviews, no SNL spots, etc. Just a fanbase built off of some performances, good music, and pure online trolling lol.

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,260 6,533 1,231
Alleybux
I like both for different reasons as each has what the other lacks, but it is weird to see people getting nasty about Doja’s success when she doesn’t really do much.

Doja doesn’t have any major magazine covers, NY Times Op-Eds, no major interviews, no SNL spots, etc. Just a fanbase built off of some performances, good music, and pure online trolling lol.

Ppl on LSA really be lying on Amala to undermine her success, it's crazy. I saw a post in a Tyler thread trying to excuse his massive 2nd week drop (for context, Doja is projected to nearly double his sales for this week) bc he did no promo while Doja was doing nonstop promo...huh??? Which artist had promotion and an entire set at the BET Awards and which one was at home tweeting, sporadically going on IG live not making any public appearances to promote outside an exclusive release party bc they got veneers the same week as the album drop? :LOL:

As for the Meg/Doja comparisons, ppl putting too much on the rap vs pop distinction. It's 2021 not 1991. Rappers ARE the pop stars and rock stars of today's era. Cardi gets damn near just as much promotion as any pop girl when she drops. Meg has been everywhere since Savage - top magazine covers, commercials/ads, high end endorsements, interview slots, etc.

Doja's music has more pop/R&B tinge than the aforementioned but that's canceled out when the other two still get more main pop girl push than she does. Cardi can do pop numbers, Meg can't and sold less than Doja despite far more visibility and industry push at the time of her release which is why some of her fans are hellbent on pushing the 'Doja is pop/not a rapper' narrative to make their fav's sales look better. That's all.

Marjorie

What Is Dis, Hunny?
Reaction score
Reactions
108,925 7,835 3,200
Alleybux
Am I the only one who thinks Doja should'nt of released "nas" it's gotten alot of negative feedback

Willhannah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,296 786 283
Alleybux
Ppl on LSA really be lying on Amala to undermine her success, it's crazy. I saw a post in a Tyler thread trying to excuse his massive 2nd week drop (for context, Doja is projected to nearly double his sales for this week) bc he did no promo while Doja was doing nonstop promo...huh??? Which artist had promotion and an entire set at the BET Awards and which one was at home tweeting, sporadically going on IG live not making any public appearances to promote outside an exclusive release party bc they got veneers the same week as the album drop? :LOL:

As for the Meg/Doja comparisons, ppl putting too much on the rap vs pop distinction. It's 2021 not 1991. Rappers ARE the pop stars and rock stars of today's era. Cardi gets damn near just as much promotion as any pop girl when she drops. Meg has been everywhere since Savage - top magazine covers, commercials/ads, high end endorsements, interview slots, etc.

Doja's music has more pop/R&B tinge than the aforementioned but that's canceled out when the other two still get more main pop girl push than she does. Cardi can do pop numbers, Meg can't and sold less than Doja despite far more visibility and industry push at the time of her release which is why some of her fans are hellbent on pushing the 'Doja is pop/not a rapper' narrative to make their fav's sales look better. That's all.
I'll add that Tyler have been Posting non-stop about his album for the past two weeks. Meanwhile Catwoman

You also present an interesting point. The new mainstream rap girls are being treated like pop girls by everyone. There is no clear distinction. Rap girls are "singing", high budget videos, and choreography like pop girls use to. Besides, Pop girls numbers aren't that high these days (Olivia is an anomaly). Longevity is their advantage.

giphy.gif

The Billboard cover is her biggest to date.

Willhannah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,296 786 283
Alleybux
Am I the only one who thinks Doja should'nt of released "nas" it's gotten alot of negative feedback
I'm sure it has been met with push back but "alot" is stretch. It's not affecting her image and is positively impacting her revenue. From a artistic pov, this is her art and she wanted it out.

gorjesssssss

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,559 58 2
Alleybux
You know what I don't get? M3gan gets more industry support and publicity than DC but her fans have created a whole inferiority complex when it comes to her and DC.

tenor.gif

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I love both Megan and Doja Cat; they both give me something different when it comes to what I want from music. I agree that the rap girls are basically the new popstars in how they are marketed. However, that does not mean that rap music gets the same level radio support/streaming playlisting that pop/pop R&B songs get. Cardi B, in 2018, made songs like Taki Taki and I Like It which have a Latin pop flair and Doja has made pop-rap-R&B hybrid songs like Say So and KMM. In my opinion, Cardi and Doja might get broader radio support/more playlisting than MTS, who tends to do more straight rap songs.

As for promo, I agree that Cardi B and MTS get way more when compared to Doja; her team needs to do better on that front lol.

As for album sales, I do think MTS and DC are basically the same when it comes to that area. I'm not sure if the deluxe counted towards her Billboard Hot 200 numbers but If DC hadn't released the deluxe, her numbers basically would've been slightly higher than Megan's. I feel Megan's audience is more broad but still niche because she makes straightforward southern rap songs when compared to Doja Cat. DC is able to reach a wider audience because of her gift in blending pop music with multiple genres.

All in all, I love both of them and I really hate the comparisons their fans do because what these two were able to accomplish since 2020 has been nothing short of incredible!

TiaJ88

Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
119,896 1,940 1,313
Alleybux
Hi, I'm new to this thread. I love both Megan and Doja Cat; they both give me something different when it comes to what I want from music. I agree that the rap girls are basically the new popstars in how they are marketed. However, that does not mean that rap music gets the same level radio support/streaming playlisting that pop/pop R&B songs get. Cardi B, in 2018, made songs like Taki Taki and I Like It which have a Latin pop flair and Doja has made pop-rap-R&B hybrid songs like Say So and KMM. In my opinion, Cardi and Doja might get broader radio support/more playlisting than MTS, who tends to do more straight rap songs.

As for promo, I agree that Cardi B and MTS get way more when compared to Doja; her team needs to do better on that front lol.

As for album sales, I do think MTS and DC are basically the same when it comes to that area. I'm not sure if the deluxe counted towards her Billboard Hot 200 numbers but If DC hadn't released the deluxe, her numbers basically would've been slightly higher than Megan's. I feel Megan's audience is more broad but still niche because she makes straightforward southern rap songs when compared to Doja Cat. DC is able to reach a wider audience because of her gift in blending pop music with multiple genres.

All in all, I love both of them and I really hate the comparisons their fans do because what these two were able to accomplish since 2020 has been nothing short of incredible!

I agree with most except the radio part.

Not getting support from pop radio doesn’t really hurt most rappers. Most rappers who did big numbers on their recent releases only get pushed on urban radio as well. They just have great street teams and/or the right push amongst niche audiences.

If pop radio and/or certain playlisting mattered so much then pop girls should be reigning. But most outside of Olivia Rodrigo aren’t. Hell, you have Kpop groups doing better than most American pop acts and these Kpop groups don’t get any play on radio lol.

babybugz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,557 2,226 892
Alleybux
Megan is too much of a hoe for me. Don't get me wrong doja has her hoe moments too, but it has to be something interesting image wise there for me to give a sh!t. Megan not interesting or talking about sh!t.

babybugz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,557 2,226 892
Alleybux
Just came back dealing with bad middle school students that love Meg and got liquor in me right now. fµck Meg I said what I said :arrogant

Marjorie

What Is Dis, Hunny?
Reaction score
Reactions
108,925 7,835 3,200
Alleybux
I'm sure it has been met with push back but "alot" is stretch. It's not affecting her image and is positively impacting her revenue. From a artistic pov, this is her art and she wanted it out.
Yeah however it's her yt/other fans saying the word that bothers me. The feedback are from the (black) guys understandably so. And I love the song.

Willhannah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,296 786 283
Alleybux
Yeah however it's her yt/other fans saying the word that bothers me. The feedback are from the (black) guys understandably so. And I love the song.
Maybe she'll address this, a la Kendrick, when performing it again.

babybugz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,557 2,226 892
Alleybux
I don't know...I guess every black rapper is going to have to address it. Her being singled out is kind of unfair.

Willhannah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,296 786 283
Alleybux
She really is Gen Z’s queen. Her music is going to be the soundtrack to all their most iconic tv shows and films.

ETA: Nvm I just saw the critics’ reviews for the GG reboot lol.
The first gossip girl got trashed by critics too and tbh when I watched it, it wasn't top quality.

I'm calling it now. Freak is going to be used in one of the trio mean girls xes scene.

Kitty Katt

Killer Bey Nicki
Reaction score
Reactions
102,038 5,809 16,051
Alleybux
Can someone help me understand what “she doesn’t do punches when she raps, full takes only…” mean. Is he talking punchlines?
it means that she rap straight through, she doesnt only do a section of what is written, she does the whole entirety of what is written.

SarahCameron

no time for logical fallacies
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
100,188 5,796 4,187
Alleybux
Megan is too much of a hoe for me. Don't get me wrong doja has her hoe moments too, but it has to be something interesting image wise there for me to give a sh!t. Megan not interesting or talking about sh!t.

i like her but i don’t like her new sh!t. i liked her mixtapes more. i’m still rooting for her tho.

GlitterGutz

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,206 198 64
Alleybux
NYC DAY PARTY W DOJA

I went to the day party in nyc and chile they were not lying about the fans passing out cause I nearly did. I was about to leave because my feet were about to give out on me and then she finally came out like 9:40 (even though the event started at 2)... I instantly got excited and remembered why i was there in the first place. She has good stage presence and looks like she smells good. She's gorgeous in person.

The reasons fans were upset was because the Djs kept bringing up doja and saying 20 more min then 5 then 15 then 20 again LOL since like 4pm. The female Dj was the best imo, she only brought up doja once and told us we wasn't seeing her until later. But the other Dj Acts couldn't keep doja out they mouth which was frustrating fans because we were already told last last minute that she wasn't coming out until 8. (Which was wrong). The venue apparently booked doja for only 5 songs which we also didn't know but she performed 8. Kiss Me more, Say So, Streets, Get into It, Need to Know, Juicy, Tia & Tamara & Woman. .. She started tearing up because the crowd was so LIT for her and she really wanted to stay longer and perform more for us but i totally understand its not her fault the Venue should've payed more and not mislead fans the way they did. I knew it was the venue from jump so i didn't understand why the fans were frustrated with doja. New Yorkers also aren't the most patient so it was a little mixy.. several arguments broke out in the crowd lmaoooo

Overall I had FUNNNNN. Need to Know & Women performance is stuck in my head it was just so amazing and Nostalgic like that memory will forever replay in my head when I hear the songs now.

Can't wait for the Tour!

GlitterGutz

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,206 198 64
Alleybux
Also her fanbase is VERY DIVERSE. I'm saying almost ALL races came out for her. It was truly so much fun and very exciting to see her be able to bring all types of cultures together and have fun. It was like a big ass RAVE. Everyone came out looking like they clearly listen to doja with the outfits.I saw a YT guy with fairy ears there. It was truly beautiful to see and Doja should be proud of herself. It was truly iconic.

Willhannah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,296 786 283
Alleybux
Also her fanbase is VERY DIVERSE. I'm saying almost ALL races came out for her. It was truly so much fun and very exciting to see her be able to bring all types of cultures together and have fun. It was like a big ass RAVE. Everyone came out looking like they clearly listen to doja with the outfits.I saw a YT guy with fairy ears there. It was truly beautiful to see and Doja should be proud of herself. It was truly iconic.
I saw the pictures of the lines and how diverse her base is. From the videos, I know she has great energy on stage and can't wait to see her live.

I'm glad you had fun in spite of the venue issues.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,379 79 121
Alleybux
I don’t like how some fans(stans) feel like they are entitled to Doja lol, it’s like every time they don’t like something they all n her team Dms n sh!t.

Willhannah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,296 786 283
Alleybux
Now if I were feeling messy, I'd make a thread about album track "ain't s***" doing all this without radio, playlist or tiktok trend.

giphy.gif

efilneetevol

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,835 87 32
Alleybux
Now if I were feeling messy, I'd make a thread about album track "ain't s***" doing all this without radio, playlist or tiktok trend.

giphy.gif

The thread would be a mess. I wish I could mute the terms “incel” and “white supremacist” on this site.

TiaJ88

Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
119,896 1,940 1,313
Alleybux
I just wish people would just stop bringing Doja into conversations that don’t concern her.

If it’s not about new music or new performances, just leave that girl’s name out of the weird fuckshit. That goes for “fans” as well.

People are just getting weird in general about this girl.

efilneetevol

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,835 87 32
Alleybux
I just wish people would just stop bringing Doja into conversations that don’t concern her.

If it’s not about new music or new performances, just leave that girl’s name out of the weird fuckshit. That goes for “fans” as well.

People are just getting weird in general about this girl.
I agree.

I feel like she’s used as a symbol on this site for a lot of things.

Some of her supporters here see her as an artsy/edgy/quirky black(ish) woman who isn’t aggressively hypersexual or as a “trigger” to black men who allegedly have a problem with her dating wm.

And her haters see her as a symbol of white supremacy, white privilege, and self hatred.

All of which are very hot topics on this site.

I feel like a lot of people who post here struggle with their own racial identity, and I think Doja just checks a lot of boxes on both sides that make her attractive to people like that.

efilneetevol

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,835 87 32
Alleybux
I don’t like how some fans(stans) feel like they are entitled to Doja lol, it’s like every time they don’t like something they all n her team Dms n sh!t.
Lol, I agree.

The annoying thing to me is that a lot of the stuff they blame on her team is probably just Doja being Doja. I feel like a lot of people want her to be a super polished, glamorous celebrity, but she seems very intent on being anything other than that.

Glen_Coco

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,975 2,214 223
Alleybux
Sorry if this has been discussed already but does Nicki have a problem with Doja? I'm watching her IG live right now and she keeps alluding to someone using her for clout then dumping her. Imo I thought she might be referring to Megan. But I think it's weird that Nicki hasn't congratulated Doja on Planet Her or even mentions her at all.

SkylarGrey

Notice me senpai!
Reaction score
Reactions
98,675 4,617 2,205
Alleybux
Sorry if this has been discussed already but does Nicki have a problem with Doja? I'm watching her IG live right now and she keeps alluding to someone using her for clout then dumping her. Imo I thought she might be referring to Megan. But I think it's weird that Nicki hasn't congratulated Doja on Planet Her or even mentions her at all.
its obviously Megan...
She literally called ole girl an alcoholic and said she was fµck!ng for raps (Pardi) during her last music drop

JuicyBussy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
191,045 11,179 8,534
Alleybux

Doja is competition now and is currently doing better than her on the charts.

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,260 6,533 1,231
Alleybux

Nicki and Meg been trading subs back and forth so Meg would be my first guess. That being said, Nicki’s silence on Doja and her shoutout on PH when she’s been hyping up other rappers releases in the same timeframe is not on accident either. I think Nicki is the big artist Doja was talking about on her live that was supposed to be on Imagine, Nicki prob thought it was trash and a collab and her being on the album fell through.

TiaJ88

Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
119,896 1,940 1,313
Alleybux
Constantly praising and using Nicki’s name only to be ignored then shaded is embarrassing but a good lesson to keep the hero worship to a minimum.

Doja had to learn at some point that none of these other celebrities are better than you. It doesn’t matter if you grew up listening to them or not.

Doja needs to boss up and not in a conceited “I’m the biggest and baddest” way but in a “I know who I am and what I came here to accomplish” way. Be confident in yourself and become the leader you were meant to be.

Fashion Killa

Hanna Marin-Rivers
Reaction score
Reactions
174,260 6,533 1,231
Alleybux
Constantly praising and using Nicki’s name only to be ignored then shaded is embarrassing but a good lesson to keep the hero worship to a minimum.

Doja had to learn at some point that none of these other celebrities are better than you. It doesn’t matter if you grew up listening to them or not.

Doja needs to boss up and not in a conceited “I’m the biggest and baddest” way but in a “I know who I am and what I came here to accomplish” way. Be confident in yourself and become the leader you were meant to be.

I agree with everything you said. Giving flowers and respect is one thing but if I made it up in the industry and was one of those IT girls, no way I’m gonna be doing the most stanning and falling over myself to praise anyone, periodddd.

Glen_Coco

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,975 2,214 223
Alleybux
Yeah she needs to stop shouting nicki out it's not being reciprocated and nicki is using bia.

Yes, she's definitely just using Bia and Latto. She tends to latch on to new hot rappers that aren't established yet then she shades them when the become bigger stars. She uses these new girls to remain relevant. That's why she did the Say So remix and Hot Girl Summer. If Bia or Latto ever reach Megan and Doja's status watch how Nicki acts. She's so fake.