Quantcast

Donald Glover trends after saying "we're getting boring, safe" stuff on TV because creators are afraid of their TV shows being cancelled by networks

Stormy_Weather

“You Bit**es Ain’t Humble Enough”
Reaction score
Reactions
478,200 8,519 2,296
Alleybux
Networks have been cancelling shows since radio days—that’s never stopped creators from making interesting programs. That sounds like a lame excuse

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,323 14,181 6,597
Alleybux
What is he even talking about? If anything, stupid shows that are filled with stereotypes and offensive stuff last longer than decent shows. Twitter ripped Ginny & Georgia and Emily in Paris to shreds, but it only made millions of folks tune in to hatewatch. Meanwhile, good shows like On My Block don't get half the attention.

wanderwoman

alleybuxstrugglelife
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
318,923 7,856 3,399
Alleybux
I don't get it. Advertisers are still advertising on these timeslots anyway, so what's the real problem.

Mo.

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,540 772 365
Alleybux
He left this so open for something with many contributing factors.

I’m sure he gave himself a pat on the back for being “thought provoking”

Sugar.

You didn’t grow up with LeVar Burton and it shows.
Reaction score
Reactions
348,353 3,953 743
Alleybux
I guess but these garbage shows don't make me want to watch them and if enough people feel like this they're going to end up cancelled anyway.

Madashelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,300 1,656 385
Alleybux
He is right.
Most of today's Network shows suck big time and that is why people are flocking to streaming services. On Network TV, the shows have to be mindful of their advertisers and have to be politically correct - therefore a lot of the content is weak and watered down.
If I really want to watch a good series, I will find it on HBO or some other venue, because regular TV is indeed boring for me.

chatterbox_380

No-filter-having heaux
Reaction score
Reactions
26,738 1,856 140
Alleybux
What is he even talking about? If anything, stupid shows that are filled with stereotypes and offensive stuff last longer than decent shows. Twitter ripped Ginny & Georgia and Emily in Paris to shreds, but it only made millions of folks tune in to hatewatch. Meanwhile, good shows like On My Block don't get half the attention.

That's exactly his point. Studios will go with safe sh!t like Finny & Georgia or Emily in Paris vs things that are weird like Sense8 or OA. Or will have them and then cancel them before giving them a chance.

I don't get it. Advertisers are still advertising on these timeslots anyway, so what's the real problem.

The problem is that the studios will put money down on shows and then when people aren't watching, they'll cancel them because they're afraid they're losing money.

VioletVixenx

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,858 121 20
Alleybux
He is right... I'm still piss that Insatiable on Netflix got canceled. SMH

People were trashing the show before it even was on Netflix. It only got two seasons...and the last season was left on a cliffhanger.
Don't get me wrong, it was a very weird show... but was still very entertaining to me.

Last edited:

Sweetpea43

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,133 85 13
Alleybux
I mainly watch reruns of shows I grew up on. Something is missing in a lot of these newer shows. I'm not sure what it is, but they do not keep me interested past the first or second episode.

musiclover55

Anime Bae
Reaction score
Reactions
77,889 2,041 1,471
Alleybux
So what is he creating? Nothing…

I’ve seen some good new stuff… everyone has different tastes so…

And he makes it seem like it’s “cancel culture” instead of the show just sucks and doesn’t bring in ratings so yeah it’ll be canceled.

L O L I T A

✩ American Empress ✩
Reaction score
Reactions
234,416 5,949 1,947
Alleybux
He forgot to mention that originality is also dead and has been for this past decade. And fear of being canceled by the network didn't stop creators in the past from making some of the most iconic and legendary content we still consume to this day. Sorry, but that seems like an excuse.

Nowadays, they discuss & show all types of graphic scenes on television and film that they rarely showed on the silver screen 40 to 50 years ago like explicit violence, pedophilia, incest, xesual assault, addiction, the normalization of showcasing explicit content featuring underage characters, etc, yet you're telling me creators today are choosing to produce remakes and reboots and mediocre content instead due to fear of being canceled? I'm not buying it.

Creators today have way more artistic freedom than ever before and yet, for the most part, the mediocre content out today on television and film is still not giving what it should be giving.

Last edited:

wanderwoman

alleybuxstrugglelife
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
318,923 7,856 3,399
Alleybux
The problem is that the studios will put money down on shows and then when people aren't watching, they'll cancel them because they're afraid they're losing money.
I don't think that's the problem. I think they believe shows have a natural monetary arc (which they should be able to predict base on their data) and that that arc drops off considerably during the second season for the vast majority of shows so they choose to introduce new shows and monetize having more quantities of first seasons than investing (i.e. advertising a show) money into an existing show.

That's how a lot of companies view products these days and I think they think creative content is disposable in that way too.

AdultishGambino

GROAN AWAY HEAUX
Reaction score
Reactions
175,511 6,382 4,433
Alleybux
He’s not wrong . We’re so politically correct these days . It’s like Taylor swift and her fans trying to get Ginny and Georgia cancelled because of a simple joke. Luckily it had a lot of support .

That’s why I love British television. Specifically the comedies . They aren’t as politically correct over there and it makes it so much funnier.

Last edited:

AdultishGambino

GROAN AWAY HEAUX
Reaction score
Reactions
175,511 6,382 4,433
Alleybux
Bye. There were plenty of successful 90s shows that didn’t rely on shock humor. They aren’t talented enough writers.

That is not true at all . THERE ARE PLENTY of successful 90s shows that would have caused controversy in todays PC Society. Especially with all these streaming services bringing back old shows , it’s not uncommon to hear people comment that a show would have been cancelled if it aired today .

I can list multiple instances where a show like Martin would have caused controversy in this society ( him making jokes about Pam , a dark skinned woman being a man, making a caricature of black women with shenenee and her friends etc ) you know woke Twitter would have zeroed in on that

Last edited:

Normal Faces Matter

If I can’t scuba, then what’s this all been about?
Reaction score
Reactions
181,251 2,606 340
Alleybux
I don’t think he should put the onus on creators. If anything, it’s the networks’ fault for lackluster content. They only greenlight the content that they think will make them money, which means creators have to fit their ideas into what the network wants, even if it’s not what they actually want to make.

Beverly417

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
215,515 4,997 1,053
Alleybux
But shows in the 90s had more freedom to write things that people would “cancel” nowadays.

Cancelling is an excuse. It’s basically saying “if I can’t be offensive, I can’t write.” They just aren’t talented enough. Shock value is the new “creative,” like Lil Nas X and Cardi. That doesn’t land well on Primetime. New Hollywood sucks. The public isn’t watching the shows, movies, and listening to the music because it’s crap.

That is not true at all . THERE ARE PLENTY of successful 90s shows that would have been cancelled in todays PC Society. Especially with all these streaming services bringing back old shows . It’s not uncommon to hear people comment that a show would have been cancelled in this day and age .

Maybe an episode or two but not the whole damn series. Keep coddling these talentless, special snowflakes hacks if you want but I stand by what I said. Hollywood never recovered from the writers strike.

JaniraBorges

Team Owner
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
139,960 15,917 9,638
Alleybux
I mainly watch reruns of shows I grew up on. Something is missing in a lot of these newer shows. I'm not sure what it is, but they do not keep me interested past the first or second episode.
I agree! I’ve recently been binge watching 90s and 2000d shows such as the x files, the sopranos, freaks and geeks etc

L O L I T A

✩ American Empress ✩
Reaction score
Reactions
234,416 5,949 1,947
Alleybux
Cancelling is an excuse. It’s basically saying “if I can’t be offensive, I can’t write.” They just aren’t talented enough. Shock value is the new “creative,” like Lil Nas X and Cardi. That doesn’t land well on Primetime. New Hollywood sucks. The public isn’t watching the shows, movies, and listening to the music because it’s crap.

Maybe an episode or two but not the whole damn series. Keep coddling these talentless, special snowflakes hacks if you want but I stand by what I said. Hollywood never recovered from the writers strike.
Spot on! A lot of ppl do equate blatant shock value with authentic creativity and artistic merit when it's the complete opposite. Reminds me of shows like Riverdale and Euphoria whom are notorious for these types of antics to deflect from the mediocre content.

If you have to heavily rely on shock value for majority of your projects, you probably aren't that talented to begin with and the plot/storyline of your television series/film is more than likely mediocre b/c 9 out of 10 times, the shock value contributes nothing to the overall story and its only purpose is to garner attention (whether positive or negative) and create mass hysteria around the project.

This current generation seems to coddle and uplift a lot mediocrity in various art forms (music, film, etc,) way more than past generations and it's sad to see.

JamGirl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
46,481 1,042 382
Alleybux
This seems like a money issue, and less of a creative, which has been lacking for over a decade with remakes and reboots. The Shape of Water won the Oscar for Best Picture about a mute woman, left abandoned as a child, who helps save a fish man and has a xesual relationship with it in the 1950's, and whose BFF is a black woman. Miss me on folks aren't allowed to be creative.

Madashelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,300 1,656 385
Alleybux
The world has changed from the 80's and 90's and the way audiences watch television shows has changed as well. I think that today's audiences want shows that are a little bit deeper. Shows like "Breaking Bad", "Mad Men", "Dexter", "Game of Thrones", "The Wire", etc., were all hits for a reason. The Networks cannot put out shows like those that I mentioned because they would be too offensive for some.

Beverly417

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
215,515 4,997 1,053
Alleybux
Spot on! A lot of ppl do equate blatant shock value with authentic creativity and artistic merit when it's the complete opposite. Reminds me of shows like Riverdale and Euphoria whom are notorious for these types of antics to deflect from the mediocre content.

If you have to heavily rely on shock value for majority of your projects, you probably aren't that talented to begin with and the plot/storyline of your television series/film is more than likely mediocre b/c 9 out of 10 times, the shock value contributes nothing to the overall story and its only purpose is to garner attention (whether positive or negative) and create mass hysteria around the project.

This current generation seems to coddle and uplift a lot mediocrity in various art forms (music, film, etc,) way more than past generations and it's sad to see.

Exactly. Art has always evolved, from blackface comedy shows, stereotypes of women, etc. The truly talented know how to change with the times and still produce quality art. Anyone can be a one trick pony but those who are gifted can create in different times and in different ways. Pouring some out of the real writers who left in 2007 and never came back.

Surreal

⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
241,882 7,370 6,303
Alleybux
Network tv has always been censored. They had entire codes and laws on what could and couldn't be shown on tv. I think in recent years, tv has became more risque than ever before. I don't know what he's talking about.

April Diamond

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
303,019 8,822 4,329
Alleybux
I get what he's saying, but the streamers & premium channels are letting everything fly that you couldn't do 10-15 years ago (explicit xes, violence, etc). They are letting them do what they want and not censoring at all. They are relying too much on shock value, aesthetics and not actual decent writing and character development. Nothing to do with censorship and the new woke era. You can weave controversial/offsenive topics in storylines without pissing off people, but these new creatives can't do that. That's why its boring. Euphoria is the biggest example of that. That show wouldn't have been green lighted in 1998 if you go by his arguement.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,323 14,181 6,597
Alleybux
That's exactly his point. Studios will go with safe sh!t like Finny & Georgia or Emily in Paris vs things that are weird like Sense8 or OA. Or will have them and then cancel them before giving them a chance.

Um...that isn't what I said, and it's not agreeing with Donald Glover. Hollywood greenlights bad, mediocre, and good productions. It's not a charity--they renew productions that people watch, which makes them money.

My point is that hate-watching stupid sh!t = a sign that it's something viewers want. Ergo it gets renewed. Low rated productions are money losses.

Which =/= Hollywood only produces bad things.

In fact, a lot of stuff on Netflix is bad because they let everyone do whatever they want. Hulu originals are a higher quality because they aren't throwing money at any idea.

JonathanFrakes

BLACK AMERICAN- you are BEAUTIFUL!
Reaction score
Reactions
193,819 5,003 1,118
Alleybux
I can list multiple instances where a show like Martin would have caused controversy in this society ( him making jokes about Pam , a dark skinned woman being a man, making a caricature of black women with shenenee and her friends etc ) you know woke Twitter would have zeroed in on that

I'm sorry but is that not an issue..? When you know better as a society, you do better as a society. I understand you found it funny in 1996, but in 2021 we are checking why those types of images are harmful to a minority demographic. Why is that even brought up as an example? Do you want these images to come back for the sake of your sanctified, holy and sacred sitcoms?

Should blackface make a comeback too or are we too PoLiTicAllY CoRrEct??

GOOD writers have the ability to write beyond stereotypes and caricatures, do they not? I'm not understanding the limitations..

AdultishGambino

GROAN AWAY HEAUX
Reaction score
Reactions
175,511 6,382 4,433
Alleybux
I'm sorry but is that not an issue..? When you know better as a society, you do better as a society. I understand you found it funny in 1996, but in 2021 we are checking why those types of images are harmful to a minority demographic. Why is that even brought up as an example? Do you want these images to come back for the sake of your sanctified, holy and sacred sitcoms?

Should blackface make a comeback too or are we too PoLiTicAllY CoRrEct??

GOOD writers have the ability to write beyond stereotypes and caricatures, do they not? I'm not understanding the limitations..
You need to go back , read and try again if you’re implying that I want those things to come back . I was simply responding to somebody saying 90s shows weren’t problematic .

y’all just love to argue and be cantankerous . Practice your reading comprehension skills and try again .

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,038 19,672 18,910
Alleybux

Ish Gibor

I am the prize
Reaction score
Reactions
13,914 2,071 4,436
Alleybux
this from the man who said he like to be called ni77ger in bed by the white/asian woman he sleeps with
I assume in his mind he was taking revanche at white society. It's a bit of a weird fetish, if you ask me.

LareonDurnam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,636 972 1,484
Alleybux