Seancarter

Hating on MJ like I hate the Feds
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,805 3,747 9,582
Alleybux
Davis-Sammie6-542x800.jpg
Playboy founder Hugh “Hef” Hefner may be best known as an early advocate of the xesual revolution, but the Casanova was also a powerful ally in the fight for civil rights.

The 91-year-old icon died at his home yesterday, leaving behind an often-overlooked legacy of supporting the movement.

White celebrities of the 1950s and ’60s were often unsure of how to handle race relations, but Hef made it a point for Playboy to be inclusive, often providing Black artists, entertainers and activists with a platform long before other mainstream outlets would fathom doing so.

art_Washington-Dinah09-663x800.jpg

The Queen of Blues Dinah Washington introduces her husband Dick “Night Train” Lane to Chicago society at a party thrown by Hugh Hefner, publisher of Playboy. (Isaac Sutton/Johnson Publishing Archive)

Dick Gregory had a very special bond with Hef, who is credited with helping launch his comedic career with a performance at the Chicago Playboy Club in 1961.

During 2001 Comedy Central’s 2001 N.Y. Friars Club Roast of Hugh Hefner, Gregory spoke to his good friend’s character and how much of a difference he made some 40 years prior.

“You had a courage when no one was bringing in Blacks and minorities, and let you stand flat-footed in America and just talk, you brought me in” the comic revealed during the roast. “You didn’t give me a lecture. You gave me no instructions.”

He went on, “I come here tonight not to roast you, but to say that had you not had the guts back then, we Black comics that the world has been able to look at and understand our genius, we would be in some pot, roasting in debt, knowing we were never going to make it. We thank you. God bless you, my brother.”

Gregory also credited the Playboy founder for financing his mission to locate the bodies of three slain Civil Rights workers in 1964 in Mississippi.

Roots author Alex Haley made a mark on pop culture through Playboy as well, conducting the first-ever Playboy Interview with jazz legend Miles Davis. Haley later interviewed Malcolm X for the publication, resulting in the author writing the 1965 best-seller The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. granted the longest print interview of his career to Haley for the magazine.

The television shows Playboy Penthouse and Playboy After Dark, which Hef hosted, also featured prominent acts of color, including Tina Turner and Redd Foxx. These aired in the 1950s and ’60s, decades before MTV was pressured into featuring Black artists’ videos on the network, beginning with Michael Jackson’s 1983 hit “Billie Jean.”

The diversity proponent was also known to buy back certain Playboy franchise locations upon discovering they discriminated against Black customers, Hef said in a 2011 interview with CBS.

In addition to providing an outlet for Black voices at a time when many were stifled, he was also good friends with stars such as Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Sammy Davis Jr. and EBONY/ JET publisher, John H. Johnson.

A favorite guest in Chicago radio-TV circles, entertainer Sammy Davis Jr., takes over the hour-long Fran Allison Show. He is presented a pup, “Playboy,” by Playboy magazine publisher Hugh Hefner during an appearance on Playboy Penthouse. (Isaac Sutton/Johnson Publishing Archive)

Read more at EBONY Hugh Hefner Civil Rights: Ebony Remembers Hugh Hefner, the Activist
Follow us: @EbonyMag on Twitter | EbonyMag on Facebook

Read more at EBONY Hugh Hefner Civil Rights: Ebony Remembers Hugh Hefner, the Activist

sade

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
144,657 7,683 10,557
Alleybux
He was good friends with John H Johnson and his daughter spoke at Johnson funeral

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,304 8,451 7,808
Alleybux
lol a so-called black magazine praising a racist white man

lol a so-called black magazine praising a racist white man”

I don’t understand why helping black people is seen as something evil and racist. You undercovers unmask yourselves every day.

White celebrities of the 1950s and ’60s were often unsure of how to handle race relations, but Hef made it a point for Playboy to be inclusive, often providing Black artists, entertainers and activists with a platform long before other mainstream outlets would fathom doing so.

Dick Gregory had a very special bond with Hef, who is credited with helping launch his comedic career with a performance at the Chicago Playboy Club in 1961.

During 2001 Comedy Central’s 2001 N.Y. Friars Club Roast of Hugh Hefner, Gregory spoke to his good friend’s character and how much of a difference he made some 40 years prior.

• You had a courage when no one was bringing in Blacks and minorities, and let you stand flat-footed in America and just talk, you brought me in the comic revealed during the roast. “You didn’t give me a lecture. You gave me no instructions.”

• He went on, “I come here tonight not to roast you, but to say that had you not had the guts back then, we Black comics that the world has been able to look at and understand our genius, we would be in some pot, roasting in debt, knowing we were never going to make it. We thank you. God bless you, my brother.”

• Roots author Alex Haley made a mark on pop culture through Playboy as well, conducting the first-ever Playboy Interview with jazz legend Miles Davis. Haley later interviewed Malcolm X for the publication, resulting in the author writing the 1965 best-seller The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

• The television shows Playboy Penthouse and Playboy After Dark, which Hef hosted, also featured prominent acts of color, including Tina Turner and Redd Foxx. These aired in the 1950s and ’60s, decades before MTV was pressured into featuring Black artists’ videos on the network, beginning with Michael Jackson’s 1983 hit “Billie Jean.”

• The diversity proponent was also known to buy back certain Playboy franchise locations upon discovering they discriminated against Black customers, Hef said in a 2011 interview with CBS.

In addition to providing an outlet for Black voices at a time when many were stifled, he was also good friends with stars such as Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Sammy Davis Jr. and EBONY/ JET publisher, John H. Johnson.

Last edited:

SaLiLi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,891 7,386 9,336
Alleybux
yes hugh did a great job helping black people

lol a so-called black magazine praising a racist white man”

I don’t understand why helping black people is seen as something evil and racist. You undercovers unmask yourselves every day.

• You had a courage when no one was bringing in Blacks and minorities, and let you stand flat-footed in America and just talk, you brought me in” the comic revealed during the roast. “You didn’t give me a lecture. You gave me no instructions.”

• He went on, “I come here tonight not to roast you, but to say that had you not had the guts back then, we Black comics that the world has been able to look at and understand our genius, we would be in some pot, roasting in debt, knowing we were never going to make it. We thank you. God bless you, my brother.”

• Roots author Alex Haley made a mark on pop culture through Playboy as well, conducting the first-ever Playboy Interview with jazz legend Miles Davis. Haley later interviewed Malcolm X for the publication, resulting in the author writing the 1965 best-seller The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

• The television shows Playboy Penthouse and Playboy After Dark, which Hef hosted, also featured prominent acts of color, including Tina Turner and Redd Foxx. These aired in the 1950s and ’60s, decades before MTV was pressured into featuring Black artists’ videos on the network, beginning with Michael Jackson’s 1983 hit “Billie Jean.”

• The diversity proponent was also known to buy back certain Playboy franchise locations upon discovering they discriminated against Black customers, Hef said in a 2011 interview with CBS.

LoveSupreme

Reaction score
Reactions
134,304 8,451 7,808
Alleybux
Playboy founder Hugh “Hef” Hefner may be best known as an early advocate of the xesual revolution, but the Casanova was also a powerful ally in the fight for civil rights.

The 91-year-old icon died at his home yesterday, leaving behind an often-overlooked legacy of supporting the movement.

art_Washington-Dinah09-663x800.jpg

The Queen of Blues Dinah Washington introduces her husband Dick “Night Train” Lane to Chicago society at a party thrown by Hugh Hefner, publisher of Playboy. (Isaac Sutton/Johnson Publishing Archive)

“You had a courage when no one was bringing in Blacks and minorities, and let you stand flat-footed in America and just talk, you brought me in” the comic revealed during the roast. “You didn’t give me a lecture. You gave me no instructions.”

He went on, “I come here tonight not to roast you, but to say that had you not had the guts back then, we Black comics that the world has been able to look at and understand our genius, we would be in some pot, roasting in debt, knowing we were never going to make it. We thank you. God bless you, my brother.”

Gregory also credited the Playboy founder for financing his mission to locate the bodies of three slain Civil Rights workers in 1964 in Mississippi.

Roots author Alex Haley made a mark on pop culture through Playboy as well, conducting the first-ever Playboy Interview with jazz legend Miles Davis. Haley later interviewed Malcolm X for the publication, resulting in the author writing the 1965 best-seller The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. granted the longest print interview of his career to Haley for the magazine.

The television shows Playboy Penthouse and Playboy After Dark, which Hef hosted, also featured prominent acts of color, including Tina Turner and Redd Foxx. These aired in the 1950s and ’60s, decades before MTV was pressured into featuring Black artists’ videos on the network, beginning with Michael Jackson’s 1983 hit “Billie Jean.”

The diversity proponent was also known to buy back certain Playboy franchise locations upon discovering they discriminated against Black customers, Hef said in a 2011 interview with CBS.

A favorite guest in Chicago radio-TV circles, entertainer Sammy Davis Jr., takes over the hour-long Fran Allison Show. He is presented a pup, “Playboy,” by Playboy magazine publisher Hugh Hefner during an appearance on Playboy Penthouse. (Isaac Sutton/Johnson Publishing Archive)

Thank you, OP, for having the guts and the courage to acknowledge history.

LoveSupreme

Reaction score
Reactions
134,304 8,451 7,808
Alleybux
So are you gonna give some receipts or naw?

Many people here are unashamed to admit that they don’t read. They take the word of others to tell them what was stated. They know more gossip on strange celebrities they will never meet, than their own history. A lot of them are pretenders. You know: “Black” while typing.