Quantcast

Eddie Murphy: John Landis is F*cked Up

Dissident

stardust
Reaction score
Reactions
23,936 146 92
Alleybux
Rensin, David. "Playboy Interview: Eddie Murphy." Playboy Feb. 1990.

PLAYBOY: You could have directed Coming to America but didn't. Why?

MURPHY: I wanted to help out [the director, John] Landis. I figured I'd give this guy a shot because his career was fµcked. But he wound up fµck!ng me.

PLAYBOY: What happened?

MURPHY: As it turned out, John always resented that I hadn't gone to his Twilight Zone trial. I never knew that; I though we were cool. But he'd been harboring it for a year. Every now and then, he would make little remarks, like, "You didn't help me out; you don't realize how close I was to going to jail." I never paid any mind.

PLAYBOY: Did you think he was guilty?

MURPHY: I don't want to say who was guilty or who was innocent. [Pauses] But if you're directing a movie and two kids get their heads chopped off at fµck!ng twelve o'clock at night when there ain't supposed to be kids working, and you said, "Action!" then you have some sort of responsibility. So my principles wouldn't let me go down there and sit in court. That's just the way I am. If somebody in my family was guilty of something, I wouldn't sit there for them in a courtroom and say, "You've got my support." fµck that. The most it would be is, "Hey, you go work that out. I still love ya; I'm still your friend."

PLAYBOY: So you hired Landis out of friendship despite thinking he'd been irresponsible?

MURPHY: Yes. He'd done four fµcked-up movies in a row and I knew he'd spent a lot of money on his trial. I went to Paramount and said I wanted to use Landis. But they had reservations: His career was fµcked up. But I said, "I'm gonna use Landis." I liked the guy. I used to always say that the one fun experience I had with a director--and I've worked with directors I really liked: Marty Brest, Walter Hill, Tony Scott--was with Landis, because he plays around a lot on the set. I made Paramount hire him.

PLAYBOY: Was he grateful?

MURPHY: He came in demanding lots of money. Paramount was saying, "Hey, come on, Eddie, we're getting fµcked here," but I made them pay his money. They bent over backward. But after he got the job, he brought along an attitude. He came in with this "I'm a director" sh!t. I was thinking, Wait a second, I fµck!ng hired you, and now you're running around, going, "You have to remember: I'm the boss, I'm the director."

One of his favorite things was to tell me, "When I worked with Michael Jackson, everyone was afraid of Michael, but I'm the only one who would tell Michael, 'fµck you.' And I'm not afraid to tell you, 'fµck you.'" And sure enough, he was always telling me, "fµck you, Eddie. Everybody at Paramount is afraid on you."

PLAYBOY: Is everybody afraid of you?

MURPHY: I don't know. But I still figured, Well, good! Because there's no way they're gonna respect me. They can't respect me. I was twenty-six years old. Imagine me in the office of a fifty-year-old guy in a suit. Naturally, he'd look at me, a kid, talking about "I want to do it this way," and he'd say, "Yeah, right. Sure, sure." Then on top of that, I'm this black man making demands. He'd look down his nose at me. So if I don't have his respect, at least let me have some fear. Let me have something.

PLAYBOY: But Landis just gave you grief?

MURPHY: It got worse and worse. What first put a bad taste in my mouth about him was when, after he hired [co-star] Shari Headley and all these other people, I said I wanted to take everybody to dinner. I didn't know anybody. But Landis grabbed Headley and said, "You stay away from Eddie. Don't go near him, because he's gonna fµck you and ruin my movie. He just wants your pussy." I'm thinking, Wait, ooohhh, nooo, that has nothing to do with being a fµck!ng director. He's control freak. Just assuming that I was trying to get the pussy is one thing; and even if I was trying to get the pussy, for him to try to stop me from getting it because he was directing the movie.... He's got a lot of nerve. Plus, it wasn't even about pussy.

PLAYBOY: Did you confront him?

MURPHY: I kind of ignored it. But every day, it was a new "I told Michael, 'fµck you'" story.

Then, one day, I had these two writers who did the screenplay for Coming to America with me. They were writing a TV show called What's Alan Watching? that my company was producing. They were at our location in New York, and Landis was asking them, "Why are you guys here?" They said, "We're working on something for Eddie." And he said [strongly], "The production's not picking that up." And they said, "No, we're working through Eddie's company. Right now, we're waiting for the deal to go through." And Landis said, "So you're not being paid yet? That company should be paying you! Don't come to New York unless you're being paid."

The whole crew was standing around--extras and actors--and Landis started screaming. "Don't be afraid to ask Eddie Murphy for his money. You go up and ask for your fµck!ng money!" I walked in and he said, "Eddie! Your company is fµck!ng these guys out of their money! Guys, don't be afraid to go up to Eddie and say, 'fµck you!'" He's screaming about my deal making in front of the cast.

PLAYBOY: What did you do?

MURPHY: I playfully grabbed him around the throat, put my arm around him and I said to Fruity, one of my guys, "What happens when people put my business in the street?" And Fruity said, "they get fµcked up." I was kind of half joking. Landis reached down to grab my balls, like he also thought it was a joke--and I cut his wind off. He fell down, his face turned red, his eyes watered up like a b!tch and he ran off the set. fµck!n' punk.

PLAYBOY: Did you go after him?

MURPHY: Nah. He came to my trailer later and made this big speech. His voice was trembling. And it all came out: that he didn't think I was talented, that the only reason he did Coming to America was for money, that he didn't respect me since I hadn't gone to his trial and all this bµllsh!t. All this fµcked-up sh!t. Called me ignorant, an asshole.

PLAYBOY: How did you take it?

MURPHY: I'm sitting there shattered; I'm thinking, This fµck!ng guy. I bent over fµck!ng backward to get this guy a job. He probably won't even acknowledge what happened. He didn't realize that his fµck!ng career was washed up. So I told him, "The next time you fµck around with me, I'm gonna whip your ass." His Hollywood sh!t came out then: "What do you mean, 'whip my ass'? That's not in our deal." So I said, "You're gonna have to give me either some fear or some respect. I want one of them, because this is my sh!t and you're working here. If the only way you can fear me is knowing that the next time you fµck up, you're gonna get your ass whipped, fine." But Landis was fµcked up: "Is that a net or a true-gross ass whipping I'm gonna get? What kind of ass whipping is it?"

PLAYBOY: Would you have whipped his ass?

MURPHY: If he had fµcked up again, I would have beat the sh!t out of him.

PLAYBOY: Even considering the consequences of a lawsuit and criminal charges?

MURPHY: The thing about an assault charge is that if you're gonna do it, make it worth it. If it had come to that--me whipping his ass--there wouldn't have been some headline like "EDDIE MURPHY PUNCHES JOHN LANDIS IN THE FACE." I'd have beat the sh!t out of him, put him in the fµck!ng hospital, almost killed him. Then, when the headline read "EDDIE BEING SUED FOR ASSAULT," I'd have said [humbly], "Yeah, I did give him a horrible ass whipping; he deserves some sort of compensation, because I did beat the sh!t out of him."

Anyway, it worked. He was afraid of me. He'll probably never admit it, but the motherfµcker was on his fµck!ng toes for the rest of the show and didn't fµck with me for the whole rest of the picture.

~supagurl~

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,800 2
Alleybux
I bet MJ told his ho ass, fµck U too!! I don't believe MJ let anyone talk to him like that and not say anything back.

Jaiden

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,108 25
Alleybux
I hollered after reading those last few paragraphs. I see you, Eddie! Lol.

Also: Michael should've done Eddie's ''Angry Michael'' skit on Landis and moonwalked all over his ass.

AllYouNeedIsLuv

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,027 16 16
Alleybux
i did not know about this,
what trial, did not know Jhon was on trial???

but what ever this is, it's between murphy and Landis,

If these guys dont support each other in life, then they dont deserve to work together, did Landis ever come to michael trial, i know Mike consider him a friend, did he ever come out and defend his friend michael?

if not, then landis cant expect colleges/friends in the business to support him when he is in need.

Ricky Stanish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,998 72 72
Alleybux
Thank you for that because that just said/confirmed a whole lot about Landis.

...I'm mad I heard Eddie's voice in my head while reading it though (with the more aggressive parts sounding like his brother). lol

CandyKisses

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
32,851 34 14
Alleybux
I believe it. Eddie Murphy would have stomped John Landis ass and Landis know it. That's why he came to Eddie like some pussy. Man, Eddie is straight hood. And Michael would have tapped danced Landis ass if he pushed Mike enough.

Jaiden

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,108 25
Alleybux

He and several others were on trial for involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment after an accident that happened on the set of the Twilight Zone in 1982. He was the director and illegally hired two very young Asian kids to be extras in the movie that starred actor Vic Morrow. It was late at night, midnight I think, during a helicopter scene. Something happened that disabled the helicopter and it landed in the water crushing the little girl and decapitating the little boy and Vic Morrow with the blades. It was pretty gruesome.

MJProphecies

P.I.M.P.
Reaction score
Reactions
207,539 78 29
Alleybux
John Landis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bet MJ told his ho ass, fµck U too!! I don't believe MJ let anyone talk to him like that and not say anything back.
A lot of the directors Michael worked with had reputations like that, like I think it was Bob Giraldi who said Mike told him he used the f word too much, and John Pytka who did his Pepsi and TWYMMF videos is famous for having a really sh!tty attitude with people, and Herb Ritts too. The guy who did YRMW didn't sound so great either.

The other one is Who Is It, Mike refused to finish that because of an argument with David Fincher

I believe Eddie, but Landis has always been nice about Mike publicly in most ways anyway, I mean, members of his family have said much worse...

CandyKisses

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
32,851 34 14
Alleybux
He and several others were on trial for involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment after an accident that happened on the set of the Twilight Zone in 1982. He was the director and illegally hired two very young Asian kids to be extras in the movie that starred actor Vic Morrow. It was late at night, midnight I think, during a helicopter scene. Something happened that disabled the helicopter and it landed in the water crushing the little girl and decapitating the little boy and Vic Morrow with the blades. It was pretty gruesome.

I remember that incident when it first broke out on the news. That was terrible what happened to those kids.

Didja gitit yet

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
62,964 622 60
Alleybux
Eddie worked with him after that movie. He mentioned it in a rolling stone article last year. He also said Michael wasn't the weak guy everyone thought he was but his downfall was the drugs.

Mya Stenz

Pretty Bish....
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Dang, Eddie had some clout in Hollywood back in the day.....Going into an office in Hollyweird and telling them who to hire.

DangerousPYT

Paperback Writer
Reaction score
Reactions
67,118 169 27
Alleybux
Vic Morrow was a hero in that accident, he died trying to save the kids. Falling over their bodies trying to cover them from the chopper blades.

Loved Eddie's comments but i have to ask...Eddie, where were you at Michael's trial?

Didja gitit yet

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
62,964 622 60
Alleybux
Vic Morrow was a hero in that accident, he died trying to save the kids. Falling over their bodies trying to cover them from the chopper blades.

Loved Eddie's comments but i have to ask...Eddie, where were you at Michael's trial?

Well he probably wanted to stay out of it like he did with John. Heck he probably stayed out of it with Charlie too. He said in the RS article that the last time he spent any significant time with MJ was when prince and Paris were small kids. Mike had come over to his home to hang out.

sevenof8

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
144,109 3,875 1,557
Alleybux
That was a very good read and I believe every word of it; which is unusual with Eddie.

The thing is there is not enough money in the world to make me ever ever want to be in the industry or anywhere near it. Anyone that believes it isn't a thousand times worse than what we deal with everyday for the promise of "money" and "success" is fooling themselves...

whocaresaboutit

PM me for info on personal tarot card readings
Reaction score
Reactions
68,717 1,058 244
Alleybux
there is an excellent recent article about John Landis and the accident...i'll have to find it.

it supports Eddie's statements about Landis being an asshole.

Landis truly tried to dodge the blame for that tragic accident..he tried to place the blame on the stunt coordinator. a lot of movie set rules came about as a result of this accident.

Vic Morrow is Jennifer Jason Leigh's father, btw.

there is video of the actual accident still on youtube. it will be 30 years this July 23rd since the accident.

tanio12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
4,613 20 32
Alleybux
Thanks for posting this Bo G, good read!

yeah i see now how he and whitney got along so well both are street and funny at the same time. Nevertheless, Eddie has also encountered bigotry. This happened many years ago in a hotel room but here is how the story went. eddie and his bodyguard were on the elevator with a ignorant female bigot who assumed all black people were criminals.

The elevator made a sudden halt and everybody hit the ground. Well the lady screamed please don't rob me and here is my purse. Eddie looked at his bodyguard and they both laughed and instead helped her up.

Well suffice to say the next morning stupid lady got a money tree with 100.00 dollars attached to each limb totalling 10,000.00. or a 1000.00 i can't remember and the tree was signed by EDDIE MURPHY the guy who was in the elevator. The woman felt real stupid but the moral of the story was ignorant witch-can't use the b-word here i could buy your dumb stupid bigoted A#$$ lMAO.

jacetoon

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
4,025 11 5
Alleybux
Micheal worked again with J Landis for Black or White so he couldn't have been all that offended.

Domino71

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Great read. I love how candid Eddie was. Usually you see these actors being interviewed about a movie and their co-stars are always wonderfully "talented and supportive" and their directors are "true artists" who made the set the "best environment ever". Blah, blah. Good for Eddie that he told the truth as he saw it. I can see Landis as a bit psycho.

Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
there is an excellent recent article about John Landis and the accident...i'll have to find it.

it supports Eddie's statements about Landis being an asshole.

Landis truly tried to dodge the blame for that tragic accident..he tried to place the blame on the stunt coordinator. a lot of movie set rules came about as a result of this accident.

Vic Morrow is Jennifer Jason Leigh's father, btw.

there is video of the actual accident still on youtube. it will be 30 years this July 23rd since the accident.

I just saw it man that was something to see, R.I.P to Mr. Morrow and the two kids who lost their lives in that tragic event.

Mute Swan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
150,826 1,259 471
Alleybux
MURPHY: I playfully grabbed him around the throat, put my arm around him and I said to Fruity, one of my guys, "What happens when people put my business in the street?" And Fruity said, "they get fµcked up." I was kind of half joking. Landis reached down to grab my balls, like he also thought it was a joke--and I cut his wind off. He fell down, his face turned red, his eyes watered up like a b!tch and he ran off the set. fµck!n' punk.

That sounds ominous when you think about that ****** dying under mysterious circumstances.

http://www.celebitchy.com/429/eddie_murphys_tranny_died_unde/

New details about Eddie Murphy’s past may come out in the divorce proceedings with his wife of 13 years, Nicole. Page 6 speculates that she may fight the prenup, citing Murphy’s infidelity with various street ********.

In 1997, Murphy was caught by West Hollywood police with a transvestite hooker in his car. He told his wife that he “stopped to help a person crying.” Several other hookers sold tales of Murphy’s solicitation to the tabloids, and all of them were convinced to recant, with one exception:

Paul Barresi, a private detective who claims he was hired for damage control by Murphy when the scandal broke, tells Page Six: “I called [Murphy attorney] Marty ‘Bull Dog’ Singer and told him I could round up all the transsexuals alleging xesual dalliances with Murphy.” And they would all recant their stories.

“In less than 10 days,” Barresi says, “I got them all to sign sworn, videotaped depositions, stating it wasn’t Murphy himself, but rather a look-alike, who they’d encountered – with the exception of Suiuli.” In 1998, she fell to her death from her L.A. roof.

Atisone Suiuli was the ****** found in Murphy’s car in 1997. After being caught by police, she had proof that she was with Murphy and wouldn’t change her story. How convenient for him that she died soon afterwards.

Crystal LaBeija

I am beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
2,075 15 22
Alleybux
That's a question...

Doesn't he answer the question here?:

MURPHY: I don't want to say who was guilty or who was innocent. [Pauses] But if you're directing a movie and two kids get their heads chopped off at fµck!ng twelve o'clock at night when there ain't supposed to be kids working, and you said, "Action!" then you have some sort of responsibility. So my principles wouldn't let me go down there and sit in court. That's just the way I am. If somebody in my family was guilty of something, I wouldn't sit there for them in a courtroom and say, "You've got my support." fµck that. The most it would be is, "Hey, you go work that out. I still love ya; I'm still your friend."

Maybe he felt like MJ was guilty?

Dissident

stardust
Reaction score
Reactions
23,936 146 92
Alleybux
Dolphina, can I beg you to please take the YouTube of the child being killed out of the thread? (If that's what the 2nd one is; I won't look). If anyone feels the need to see it, it's easily findable. A news article about the tragedy seems sufficient. Thanks.

Micheal worked again with J Landis for Black or White so he couldn't have been all that offended.

It was later that he made some very unkind remarks, although it's true he always spoke with great admiration overall for MJ.

MJProphecies

P.I.M.P.
Reaction score
Reactions
207,539 78 29
Alleybux
That sounds ominous when you think about that ****** dying under mysterious circumstances.

http://www.celebitchy.com/429/eddie_murphys_tranny_died_unde/
Did you hear how she died?

Now, as the autopsy report states: on the morning of April 22, 1998, Shalomar had again left her keys on the TV set, in her apartment. She lived on the 5th floor of this building. She probably went out on the roof to smoke a cigarette. Apparently this wasn’t unusual – the smoking or the keys thing - because she tied a white bath towel to the railing on the roof of the building, climbed the fire escape to the top, grab the towel and propel herself (coz she’ll be swangan…) into her window.
At approximately 5:15am, someone heard a scream. At 6:30am another neighbor walked out of the building to walk his pooch, much like Dekker, and literally stumbled upon Shalomar laying face down on the sidewalk, still clad in her Fredericks of Hollywood black bra and black thong panties – with silicon pouches velcroed into her bra.

She was 21 years old.​

She scraped her face on the building on the way down, and this was key to ruling her death an accident. A jumper would launch themselves far from the building. She hit the pavement – and hard. Broken right arm, left shoulder, right knee, right ankle and left calf. Fractured teeth and jaw, and the “racooning of the eyes.” Fractured nasal bones driven through orbital plates into the frontal lobes of the brain. OUCH.

Her last meal was beans, and when she fell she was completely sober.

Googling, wait Eddie actually said this?

When word got out, Eddie released the statement, “Its not the first hooker that I’ve helped out… I’ve seen hookers on corners and I’ll pull over and they’ll go, 'Oh, you’re Eddie Murphy, Oh my God!' and I’ll empty my wallet out to help,” Murphy told Entertainment Tonight. “I’m just being a nice guy.” SURE…

Why would you admit to that...

sept02

<span style="font-style:italic; text-decoration:un
Reaction score
Reactions
27,186 1,076 11,803
Alleybux
Honestly I dont believe that John landis actually told Eddie or Michael fµck you. He basically was saying that he wasnt gonna have him walking on egg shells like they mustve had a lot of their employees acting when dealing with them hence the comment about Eddie people being scared not too speak up about not getting their money from him.

John said that during the Thriller filming MJ took directions from John landis. John Landis and Michael Jackson pretty much built the story line around thriller.When Michael jackson worked on the Black and White video withJohn Landis, Michael alread had the concept together. John stated that he was following Michael lead, or developed his concept on screen.

Any way, it worked out for both John and Eddie. Coming to America ended up being one of Eddie's most successful and most memorable movies.

John landis made his mistakes. The twighlight Zone film Im sure is one of things he wished never happen. but I believe that as a director he help the BEST show their best.

Dissident

stardust
Reaction score
Reactions
23,936 146 92
Alleybux
Eddie did not think Michael was guilty. He was on Michael's defense witness list, but celebrities and most character witnesses generally didn't get called to testify. I think Mesereau didn't want to feed into any jury perception of a member of an elitist group who buys justice. There's a quote from him somewhere where he said a string of character witnesses would have just distracted from a focus on the facts, which he knew was Michael's salvation.

The judge also said several more names had been added to the case's star-studded witness list, including Eddie Murphy, Macaulay Culkin and Smokey Robinson. More than 300 possible defense witnesses submitted earlier included Kobe Bryant, Elizabeth Taylor, Diana Ross and Jay Leno.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/70185...t/t/michael-jackson-jury-chosen/#.T4s47tWnKSo

L-BoogieBee

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,790 7 2
Alleybux
Thanks for posting that article. I actually enjoyed it.

I never liked John Landis and call me silly but I always found Eddie to be a real friend to Michael. There were a lot of "friends" of Michael (Taylor, Minelli, Ross) who didn't show up during his trial. I do not see anyone here harping on those "beloved friends" of Michael's.

Well, that is because MJ was humble. Even though Landis was a bastard, Michael was not going to lower himself to that dude's level. MJ took the good with the bad in life.

Maybe he felt like MJ was guilty?

No. He was referring to Landis because it is clear that Landis was guilty of that horrible accident.

L-BoogieBee

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,790 7 2
Alleybux
Honestly I dont believe that John landis actually told Eddie or Michael fµck you.

I do. He seems like the type. I can't see how Eddie would make that up.

dolphina

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,593 49 8
Alleybux
Dolphina, can I beg you to please take the YouTube of the child being killed out of the thread? (If that's what the 2nd one is; I won't look). If anyone feels the need to see it, it's easily findable. A news article about the tragedy seems sufficient. Thanks.

Both videos are similar. Lawyers are shown talking and the footage of the accident happening is shown. The helicopter comes down but it is not graphic as in gory.

Dissident

stardust
Reaction score
Reactions
23,936 146 92
Alleybux
Both videos are similar. Lawyers are shown talking and the footage of the accident happening is shown. The helicopter comes down but it is not graphic as in gory.

The issue isn't whether it's graphic. Or whether you agree with me about posting such things or not. It's just a polite and reasonable request which would be a nice gesture in return for my effort in creating this thread.

dolphina

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,593 49 8
Alleybux
The issue isn't whether it's graphic. Or whether you agree with me about posting such things or not. It's just a polite and reasonable request which would be a nice gesture in return for my effort in creating this thread.

I have no problem removing the video and I will. I just thought that I would tell you what the video was about since you asked. Also, I never said anything about whether or not I agreed with you.

Did you watch the first video? Do you want me to remove that one too? Both videos show the same exact footage of the accident. Scene is shot from a distance. You can make out that it is humans walking across a river. The helicopter falls down blocking their path. You don't exactly see them get killed. It is just implied.

Cali Tiger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,002 73 31
Alleybux
Never saw this before. Eddie was pretty blunt; probably still is which is why he rarely does interviews.

I can believe John Landis is an ass. In many ways, he should have been up there with Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola and Lucas in being one of the top directors of the 20th century. Twilight Zone: The Movie just ruined it for him, or I should say he ruined himself. Anyway, wasn't Spielberg involved in the movie as well?

As for Michael, he was still green when 'Thriller' was made so he followed John's direction with very little issue; 'Black and White' was a different story. John and Ola Ray sued Michael for royalties on 'Thriller'; does anyone know what happened to that case. Quite frankly, I would have thought the responsible party was CBS later Sony.