Quantcast

Elderly Landlord Charged With Trying To Murder Tenant Over Unpaid Rent

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,074 45,106 6,437
Alleybux
BERKELEY, Calif. (KPIX 5) — An elderly Berkeley landlord is facing attempted murder charges for allegedly shooting one of his tenants over unpaid rent.

Police said the shooting happened on Wednesday morning at the tenant’s apartment on Essex St. in south Berkeley.

The victim, identified as Timothy Loving, was shot twice in the chest and once in the hand. His landlord, 75-year-old Herman Levi Little, was identified as the suspect.

Police said Little showed up at Loving’s apartment ready to murder him, armed with a handgun equipped with a silencer.

“No one heard a gunshot because there was a silencer on the gun and no one heard an argument because there wasn’t one,” said Loving’s friend Dottie Moore.

Moore said Loving had an agreement with his landlord that he couldn’t pay rent due to a recent medical emergency.

Loving had just come home to find his landlord, who lived upstairs, sitting on the steps with some papers, said Moore. Little put a gun to Loving’s head and pulled the trigger twice, but the gun jammed, she said.

“He’s been living there five years and never had a problem so we’re all just baffled as to how this could even happen,” said Moore.

According to police records, Loving was able to lock Levi out after initially being shot, but the landlord used his master key to unlock the door and shoot at him again.

After being shot three times, Loving was able to run for his life, landing at a cannabis dispensary across the street where guards, police and paramedics saved his life.

Police said Loving was in danger of dying at the dispensary after suffering what they called a “sucking chest wound” which prevented proper breathing.

On Friday, he still had bullet fragments in chest and hand.

“It’s just very overwhelming because we’re living in a difficult time right now with the rent crisis,” said Moore, “I never thought it would be over rent.”

Moore and her sister, Nina, say they want justice in more ways than one. “The silencers, just like the bump stocks – I want justice for him, I want gun control for him,” said Nina Moore.

“I’m gonna show up [in court] every day until I see justice prevail because this is unacceptable,” said Dottie Moore.

berkeley-landlord-shooting.jpg

Elderly Berkeley Landlord Charged With Trying To Murder Tenant Over Unpaid Rent

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,394 4,931 1,464
Alleybux
The bastard. I hope he dies in jail. He even went inside to try to finish the job. Crazy times we are living in when people are getting murdered over such paltry sums.

Last edited:

CoCoD

A woman in process...
Reaction score
Reactions
356,819 8,898 2,082
Alleybux
This idiot will spend time in the slammer over a few dollars! Mr Loving claimed he couldn't pay rent due to medical emergency, and not because he took a $5k vacation! Such a shame.

Rochelle Dionna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,799 6,593 11,393
Alleybux
Omg. I was going to say, that poor landlord. Being a landlord myself, I can understand sh!tty tenants. But if this was a long term tenant that he rarely had issues with, I don't understand his aggression. Now if this was a tenant that always has issues with rent payment, I can somewhat understand. You guys saying it is a paltry sum...do you guys understand that people can lose their money making property because of a lying sh!tty tenant? You better believe that some do not take you messing with their money lightly. Landlords are not obligated to care about your health problems or money issues. They don't run a charity.

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,074 45,106 6,437
Alleybux
Omg. I was going to say, that poor landlord. Being a landlord myself, I can understand sh!tty tenants. But if this was a long term tenant that he rarely had issues with, I don't understand his aggression. Now if this was a tenant that always has issues with rent payment, I can somewhat understand. You guys saying it is a paltry sum...do you guys understand that people can lose their money making property because of a lying sh!tty tenant? You better believe that some do not take you messing with their money lightly. Landlords are not obligated to care about your health problems or money issues. They don't run a charity.

Well yeah but then isnt the solution to try to evict him from the dwelling?

Not try to evict him from face of earth.

landlord is 75 years old.

He might only have a few years left.

Why risk having to spend the rest of your time here in prison?

I understand wanting your money but I don't understand his actions beyond that

Last edited:

Candi2012

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,211 1,616 3,904
Alleybux
BERKELEY, Calif. (KPIX 5) — An elderly Berkeley landlord is facing attempted murder charges for allegedly shooting one of his tenants over unpaid rent.

Police said the shooting happened on Wednesday morning at the tenant’s apartment on Essex St. in south Berkeley.

The victim, identified as Timothy Loving, was shot twice in the chest and once in the hand. His landlord, 75-year-old Herman Levi Little, was identified as the suspect.

Police said Little showed up at Loving’s apartment ready to murder him, armed with a handgun equipped with a silencer.

“No one heard a gunshot because there was a silencer on the gun and no one heard an argument because there wasn’t one,” said Loving’s friend Dottie Moore.

Moore said Loving had an agreement with his landlord that he couldn’t pay rent due to a recent medical emergency.

Loving had just come home to find his landlord, who lived upstairs, sitting on the steps with some papers, said Moore. Little put a gun to Loving’s head and pulled the trigger twice, but the gun jammed, she said.

“He’s been living there five years and never had a problem so we’re all just baffled as to how this could even happen,” said Moore.

According to police records, Loving was able to lock Levi out after initially being shot, but the landlord used his master key to unlock the door and shoot at him again.

After being shot three times, Loving was able to run for his life, landing at a cannabis dispensary across the street where guards, police and paramedics saved his life.

Police said Loving was in danger of dying at the dispensary after suffering what they called a “sucking chest wound” which prevented proper breathing.

On Friday, he still had bullet fragments in chest and hand.

“It’s just very overwhelming because we’re living in a difficult time right now with the rent crisis,” said Moore, “I never thought it would be over rent.”

Moore and her sister, Nina, say they want justice in more ways than one. “The silencers, just like the bump stocks – I want justice for him, I want gun control for him,” said Nina Moore.

“I’m gonna show up [in court] every day until I see justice prevail because this is unacceptable,” said Dottie Moore.

berkeley-landlord-shooting.jpg

Elderly Berkeley Landlord Charged With Trying To Murder Tenant Over Unpaid Rent

Going by his name, I imagined that he'd look like that... Wouldn't it be something if the victim ends up owning the shooter's property?

gaptoof

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,727 939 867
Alleybux
WTF? I understand wanting/ needing the rent but homicide can't be the best solution.

I'm guessing dementia will be part of the defense.