Quantcast

UPDATE Ellen DeGeneres 'loses a million viewers' following her toxic workplace scandal

funnywithfierce

You Tried It!
Reaction score
Reactions
191,702 35,800 1,142
Alleybux
"Ellen DeGeneres has lost more than a million viewers in the wake of her toxic workplace scandal that made headlines last year.

DeGeneres's daytime talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, has declined 43 percent in its current season, according to a new report from The New York Times, citing Nielsen numbers.

The show, since its season premiere in September, has garnered an average of 1.5 million viewers - down 1.1 million from the same time-frame a year ago, which had 2.6 million average viewers, prior to complaints of a toxic workplace from staff on the show that led to an internal probe from Warner Bros.
The latest: Ellen DeGeneres, 63, has lost more than a million viewers in the wake of her toxic workplace scandal that made headlines last year, according to a new report from The New York Times , citing Nielsen numbers

The latest: Ellen DeGeneres, 63, has lost more than a million viewers in the wake of her toxic workplace scandal that made headlines last year, according to a new report from The New York Times , citing Nielsen numbers

DeGeneres, 63, who is married to Portia De Rossi, 48, got off to a strong ratings start last fall in her 18th season season premiere when she addressed the scandal, but has seen a swift decline in the months since.

'I learned that things happen here that never should have happened,' she said in her season premiere. 'I take that very seriously. And I want to say I am so sorry to the people who were affected.

'I know that I'm in a position of privilege and power, and I realize that with that comes responsibility. I take responsibility for what happens at my show.'

In the September broadcast, DeGeneres acknowledged she was working toward improvement amid the spate of complaints about the hostile workplace she presided over.
Details: The show, since its season premiere in September, has garnered an average of 1.5 million viewers - down 1.1 million from the same time-frame a year ago, which had 2.6 million average viewers

Details: The show, since its season premiere in September, has garnered an average of 1.5 million viewers - down 1.1 million from the same time-frame a year ago, which had 2.6 million average viewers
Details: DeGeneres got off to a strong ratings start last fall in her 18th season season premiere when she addressed the scandal, but has seen a swift decline in the months since

Details: DeGeneres got off to a strong ratings start last fall in her 18th season season premiere when she addressed the scandal, but has seen a swift decline in the months since

'This is me and my intention is to always be the best person I can be, and if I've ever let someone down, if I've ever hurt their feelings, I am so sorry for that,' she said. 'If that's ever the case, I've let myself down and I've hurt myself as well because I always try to grow as a person.

'I look at everything that comes into my life as an opportunity to learn.

I got into this business to make people laugh and feel good, that's my favorite thing to do.'

The show has also fallen 38 percent in its key demographic in adult women under 54, Nielsen reported.

It's behind daytime talk competitors including Dr. Phil, which has averaged 3.1 million viewers; and Live: With Kelly and Ryan, with 2.7 million.

With its 1.5 million average, Ellen's numbers have dipped closer to shows such as Maury Povich with 1.4 million, Kelly Clarkson with 1.3 million, Rachael Ray with 1.2 million and Tamron Hall with 1.1 million.

The ratings decline in the wake of the scandal has also had a negative impact on advertising revenues, as its taken in $105 million for the current period in contrast to $131 million, according to Kantar, marking about a 20 percent decline.

Telepictures exec David McGuire told the newspaper that 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show remains one of the top three highest-rated syndicated talk shows this season' and will forge forward.

'While broadcast is down across the board and Covid has been challenging for production, we are looking forward to bringing back our live audiences and a 19th season filled with all of the hilarious and heartwarming moments that have made Ellen one of the longest running and most successful talk shows in history,' McGuire said."

Source: Ellen DeGeneres 'loses a million viewers' after workplace scandal

Last edited:

Ethique18

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,139 80 14
Alleybux
Not surprised. I'm sure a lot of people don't look at Ellen the same since this all came out.

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,305 4,293 646
Alleybux
Show is going downhill anyway. You can tell she grits her teeth to get through it. I probably would too after all this time, tbh. Idk why she feels compelled to continue. Surely she has enough money by now to end it when her contract expires.

FruitCake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,309 964 335
Alleybux
Show is going downhill anyway. You can tell she grits her teeth to get through it. I probably would too after all this time, tbh. Idk why she feels compelled to continue. Surely she has enough money by now to end it when her contract expires.

Narc supply.

QueenMENow

I Own Your Life
Reaction score
Reactions
77,184 2,584 5,396
Alleybux
I use to like Ellen but she was the only host who would keep the Trashdashians on it even when they had nothing to announce. You know anything they touch fails. So bye!

NahBruh

It is what it is..
Reaction score
Reactions
14,783 1,098 70
Alleybux
Just a million followers? Not millions, not millions of dollars...
Ellen ain't going no where and neither is her money.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,974 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
The show is boring and faker than Kardashian lip injections. She brings on people who went viral on Vine (when that was hot), YouTube, Twitter and other social media sites FOR THE DUMBEST sh!t. I remember when she had that dumb kid who made "back at it again with the white vans" on the show. That's when I knew she really had no content.

Doesn't help that when she does have "celebrities" on, they don't actually talk about or do anything interesting. But that goes for ALL talk show hosts - especially the late night circuits.

QueenConsort

Formerly known as Born XX
Reaction score
Reactions
99,940 4,465 4,012
Alleybux
Not surprised. I'm sure a lot of people don't look at Ellen the same since this all came out.
Because many of us can empathize with other employees who've had to deal with a sh!tty boss who bullies staff. I know damn well I've experienced that so I would never support this woman EVER. I hardly ever watched her show before but would at times stay on the channel as I'm doing other things but I won't even do that now.

fµck YOU ELLEN DEGENERES!!