Empire Renewed for season 6//Jussie is OuT

ladii_capricorn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,696 713 366
Alleybux
4 million people. Tf.

If Jussie is not on it then I'm not watching. I hate when main characters leave. I'll stop watching a reality show if they switch cast members. I don't like change.

Here y'all go again wishing unemployment on people like that boomerang won't come back around and bust you in the mouth. It's silly af to think that people should lose their jobs bc you don't like a show. Grow up.

Thank you. Its like they want a medal or some sh!t for not watching the show.

SerenityBlue

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,752 181 541
Alleybux
From day one, Empire was billed as a “black Dynasty” and caters to fans of over the top prime time soaps, who haven’t had a good network one since maybe Desperate Housewives. So it’s no surprise that it’s still kicking.

Red Sonja

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,626 10,514 8,098
Alleybux
To me Empire is one of those shows that is going to be remembered as cheesy once the years go by. The show should've been cancelled a year ago. The show is over the top, no real storyline, no brillant acting. I feel sorry for Trai Byers who has some good acting talent. The show fell off by the third season.

Even when Emprie premiered, it could not compete with Power.

Nubiacoco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
230,109 6,720 1,067
Alleybux
The show may not have ratings as high as when the show first aired but it is still one of the highest rated shows on fox. I don't watch it anymore but I am happy to know Black actors are keeping a job and don't want the show cancel regardless how I feel about it .

Anyway Jussie really fµcked up a steady paycheck. He needs to write a book and come clean to change the narrative.

Red Sonja

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,626 10,514 8,098
Alleybux
The show may not have ratings as high as when the show first aired but it is still one of the highest rated shows on fox. I don't watch it anymore but I am happy to know Black actors are keeping a job and don't want the show cancel regardless how I feel about it .

Anyway Jussie really fµcked up a steady paycheck. He needs to write a book and come clean to change the narrative.

You make a great point, it is great to see a predominantly black show get high ratings.

I think there is more to Jussie story then meets the eye.

Zebulon77

zen by design
Reaction score
Reactions
97,490 4,683 3,453
Alleybux
emp-s5_515-sc1-ch_0049_f-e1556660331865.jpg

Photographer: Chuck Hodes
Empire” has been renewed for a sixth season at Fox, though likely without Jussie Smollett.

“By mutual agreement, the studio has negotiated an extension to Jussie Smollett’s option for season six, but at this time there are no plans for the character of Jamal to return to ‘Empire,'” Fox Entertainment and 20th Century Fox Television said in a statement.

During the fifth season, Smollett claimed that he was the victim of an assault which he said was racially and politically motivated, as well as homophobic. Later he was accused of hiring the men who attacked him and indicted for filing false statements. The criminal charges were dropped in March, and Smollett has maintained his innocence, but the city of
Chicago also filed a lawsuit against the actor in order to recoup the cost of the police investigation.

The fifth season of the show saw the Lyon family trying to reclaim their music company but challenged with even heavier personal struggles than before, such as the emergence of Lucious’ secret first-born son who was hell-bent on destroying his father and eldest Lyon son Andre’s cancer diagnosis. The series stars Taraji P. Henson, Terrence Howard, Trai Byers, Smollett and Bryshere Y. Gray as the Lyon family.

That's great news! That means I've not watched for three seasons now and the next one makes it four.
Juicy needs to pivot and concentrate on his "music" career.
If Katy Perry and Taylor Swift still charting - there is room for Juicy's strain of "musical" interpretation.

:b57

AveryStepfon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
59,741 2,586 602
Alleybux
Season 6 should be the last season for the show. I hate that Jussie's character just got married and that was such a positive representation for black LGBT men/love. But, also, that makes him an easier character to write off the show. Hakeem is such a boring character to me, he hasn't grown at all, so him being the only son left (if Andre dies), would be a kii and Hakeem cannot carry ALL the sons story lines on his own.

Goonica

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
395,769 11,729 12,062
Alleybux
Jussie will never recover from this . He will be blackballed.

If Lee Daniels didn’t fight for you then it’s over .

The entire cast could have stood up for him but I sense they are tired of Jussie and his shenanigans.

The cast did stand up for him and said that they support him, believe that he's innocent, and they want him to stay on the show.

Goonica

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
395,769 11,729 12,062
Alleybux
The only white show I watch is Game of Thrones so I can’t speak on their shows. I just know Empire is trash. It’s plenty of other good black shows on air. If those white shows you speak on are trash, they need to be canned too.
Why? People watch those shows too. What's trash to you may be entertaining to others. I think Game of Thrones is trash but you will never see me posting in a GoT thread saying how it's trash and it needs to be cancelled. That's silly af and stupid.

Reaction score
Reactions
39,684 5,136 3,374
Alleybux
Why? People watch those shows too. What's trash to you may be entertaining to others. I think Game of Thrones is trash but you will never see me posting in a GoT thread saying how it's trash and it needs to be cancelled. That's silly af and stupid.

Man leave me the fµck alone. Empire is trash. A lot of people agree with me. That’s why the ratings keep dropping. If you like that sh!t, keep watching. Ain’t nobody stopping you. Game of Thrones, on the other hand, is doing record breaking numbers. It would never get canceled. It’s the last season and It’s ending how it should. Empire should’ve been gracefully bowed out.

ladii_capricorn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,696 713 366
Alleybux
To me Empire is one of those shows that is going to be remembered as cheesy once the years go by. The show should've been cancelled a year ago. The show is over the top, no real storyline, no brillant acting. I feel sorry for Trai Byers who has some good acting talent. The show fell off by the third season.

Its not the same show. The concepts are totally different. The shows come on two different channels on two different nights. Why would they need to compete? : unamused:

sassy3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
233 10 134
Alleybux
People act like networks go around renewing shows without an audience. If a show is getting renewed, you can trust that people are watching. Just not you.

They don't know WTF to say.They just thirsty az fuk.lmao!!!

neo2014

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,538 860 317
Alleybux
Fox and Empire execs played this splendidly.Dont fire him and keep contract open but remove him from the show which will likely have one final season anyway.They dont alienate his supporters or the people that dont support him anymore.

Maxine Shaw

LSA Attorney-at-LOL
Reaction score
Reactions
32,263 160 90
Alleybux
That sound you all heard was Trai Byers screaming to the high heavens.

Jussie was stupid. After the charges were dropped, he should've thanked the city of Chicago for blah blah blah and kept his mouth SHUT. Instead, he ran around declaring his innocence like Jussie Luther King, even though damn near everybody involved in the case clearly said that dropping the charges didn't exonerate him. And even then, you can't ignore that the ratings were getting lower and lower (though they were already mad low).

The people have spoken. They don't want Jussie.

Empire should’ve been gracefully bowed out.

They should've killed Anika, married Lucious to Cookie and LEFT IT AT THAT.

Last edited:

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,947 8,539 5,079
Alleybux
That's what killed the mass appeal of the show on broadcast TV. A lot of people tuned out after season 2 - 3. It becomes very niche after that.

Outside all the gay scenes I love Empire I been watching since season 1 too many over the top moments but for the most part its the bomb

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,947 8,539 5,079
Alleybux
Truth is, EMPIRE was only renewed because FOX had a weak pilot season. Have you seen some of the pilots being pitched??? Geez...the biggest thing was something with Kim Catrall. FOX was in a bind after Murdoch sold off the studios, Nat Geo, and FX; and many of the primetime FOX staffers have departed for ABC as part of the deal. I think Dana Walden is now heading programming at ABC/DISNEY. FOX doesn't have many options. They need a filler and since EMPIRE already has an audience, it was an easy decision. The fact that they are bringing back 90210 even after Spelling's death tells me they don't have many sure-bets or original ideas going on.

People act like networks go around renewing shows without an audience. If a show is getting renewed, you can trust that people are watching. Just not you.

Sexy Syd

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,052 1,123 419
Alleybux
That's what killed the mass appeal of the show on broadcast TV. A lot of people tuned out after season 2 - 3. It becomes very niche after that.
Yes because EVERYBODY i know say that turned them off on the show and its crazy kuz the more the show go on the more gay scenes they show I Dont even recall a steamy scene with Cookie and Lucious

sassy3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
233 10 134
Alleybux
Truth is, EMPIRE was only renewed because FOX had a weak pilot season. Have you seen some of the pilots being pitched??? Geez...the biggest thing was something with Kim Catrall. FOX was in a bind after Murdoch sold off the studios, Nat Geo, and FX; and many of the primetime FOX staffers have departed for ABC as part of the deal. I think Dana Walden is now heading programming at ABC/DISNEY. FOX doesn't have many options. They need a filler and since EMPIRE already has an audience, it was an easy decision. The fact that they are bringing back 90210 even after Spelling's death tells me they don't have many sure-bets or original ideas going on.

YOU.HAVE.NO.IDEA.WHAT.YOU.ARE.TALKING.ABOUT.
SIT.THE.fµck.DOWN.

Goonica

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
395,769 11,729 12,062
Alleybux
That sound you all heard was Trai Byers screaming to the high heavens.

Jussie was stupid. After the charges were dropped, he should've thanked the city of Chicago for blah blah blah and kept his mouth SHUT. Instead, he ran around declaring his innocence like Jussie Luther King, even though damn near everybody involved in the case clearly said that dropping the charges didn't exonerate him. And even then, you can't ignore that the ratings were getting lower and lower (though they were already mad low).

The people have spoken. They don't want Jussie.

They should've killed Anika, married Lucious to Cookie and LEFT IT AT THAT.

This is a lie. He hasn't said a damn thing since the charges were dropped. 10,000 people have signed a petition in a couple of days to keep him on the show so the people have lied to you.

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,947 8,539 5,079
Alleybux
Wow. That's very telling. I don't watch the show, but Lee Daniels' perspective has always been problematic and one deemed for a shrink's couch. He's always been agenda-pushing.

Yes because EVERYBODY i know say that turned them off on the show and its crazy kuz the more the show go on the more gay scenes they show I Dont even recall a steamy scene with Cookie and Lucious

KaepTay

Binky 4 lyfe
Reaction score
Reactions
574 24 27
Alleybux
Jussie did this to himself and I don't know why people are defending him. I don't feel bad that he isn't coming back. He made both communities look bad and he still thinks he didn't do anything. His singing isn't my cup of tea and the show will do just fine without him. Or maybe they can find another actor to play Jamal. They did the same thing with AuntViv. This time, have a dark-skinned dude to play him.

Last edited:

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
I have always hated the Jamal character. He changes personalities way too much and his singing is atrocious. Way too much screen time and annoying AF.

KaepTay

Binky 4 lyfe
Reaction score
Reactions
574 24 27
Alleybux
STAR is better than Empire now. Which is saying a lot there.

They may be doing him a favor by cutting him from the story. They need new writers. The Lyons becoming poor again and coming back wasn't it. The Hakeem story line was horrible and I thought that they were doing the cancer story line because Trai Byers was really going to leave the show to do other things. This mess with Jussie may have gotten him an additional season and a raise.

And what happened to Phylicia Rashad (who was bodying her role)?
Even though I watch both shows, I agree. Star has gotten better
And they never wrap up story lines correctly. The Rhonda, Boo Kitty and Eddie Barker characters were all killed off and the next episode its like "oh well" it's not realistic. The Lyons became too soap opera like instead of the drama it started out to be.

It's all over the place and I never thought the Tiana character (Great Value Rihanna) was it.
Yeah, she did some effed up things but to kill Anika off like that was cold blooded. As for Rhonda, I never cared for her. I didn't shed a tear when she got killed off.
Whoooo is still watching this sh!t?
I am, guilty as charged! I watch it for the drama and I will watch it more bc that I don't have to listen to Jamal's struggling vocals.

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,947 8,539 5,079
Alleybux
His MFA from Yale is wasted on this show....just like Angela Bassett's being wasted on another cop procedural. These two actors have range and went through one of the best programs in the country so to be on EMPIRE or 9-1-1 is kind of below what they are capable of doing. It's not doing them any justice, but hey, they are getting a check!

suzanne

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
229,947 8,539 5,079
Alleybux
There's a reason why Columbia Records decided not to move forward with him.

giphy.gif

I have always hated the Jamal character. He changes personalities way too much and his singing is atrocious. Way too much screen time and annoying AF.

bright22

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,530 1,531 730
Alleybux
Instead of petitioning for Jussie to come back for season 6, they need to be petitioning for new writers for season 6.