Quantcast

"Empire": Unanswered Questions & Inconsistencies

Roxanne Ford

The Future Mrs. Gurira
Reaction score
Reactions
51,519 1,612 1,515
Alleybux
As the new hit show nears its first season's conclusion in a few weeks, I wanted to address some things:

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

(1) Why have the Lyons not done a DNA test on Lola, Jamal's alleged 5-year-old daughter? I can't imagine that a rich family (or a black family, regardless of social class) would just take Olivia's word that Lola is his child. And if the child is Jamal's, why didn't Olivia seek child support, knowing Jamal's family is loaded. She's a former backup singer, but she didn' try to secure a record deal for herself for being Jamal's "beard? That makes no sense to me.

(2) What is Cookie's real first name? Surely no one actually names their daughter Cookie?

(3) Where is Tiana, the rising R&B star? Cookie is supposed to be a music manager for Tiana (and Elle Dallas), but is never seen with her clients besides her son Jamal?

(4) The Nation of Islam killed Lucious's father. What's the backstory?

(5) How the hell is Anika/Boo Boo Kitty fluent in Swedish (Episode 3)?

(6) Is the Lyon family aware that Andre is bipolar? Vernon and of course Andre's wife knows, but it's unclear that the others do? Are we gonna get a backstory regarding the onset of Andre's disorder?

(7) Will songwriter "Puma" (Cuba Gooding Jr.) re-enter the picture as a love interest for Cookie since he remains sweet on her?

(8) Did Cookie's ordeal as a "snitch" for the feds (which enabled her early release from prison) just disappear? Where are Agent Carter et al?

(9) Remember when Cookie put a hit on that drug dealer, after she thought that he left a "death rose" on her doorstep? No response from his crew? Seems odd.

(10) Now that Jamal has come out, will Michael/Dora come back into his life or will that Australian mixed guy Ryan be his new boo?

(11) Why does Lucious question the loyalty of Andre and Vernon, when they risked their futures by covering for Lucious on Bunky's murder?

(12) When are there going to be flashbacks of Hakeem's early life?

I suspect that some of these questions will be answered in the meaning three episodes.

INCONSISTENCIES

(1) Where are the Jews? They're highly overrepresented in the music industry, but absent here.

(2) Coke has been in prison for 17 years, but yet can operate the soundboards with no problems. Surely music studios have had many tech upgrades in the past two decades?

(3) Cookie has all of this money now but no car (remember Episode 5 where she took a cab to Philly). She can afford to put a $5,000 hit on a drug dealer but can' afford a ride?

(4) In Episode 1, Cookie claims to hate wearing weave (she says that Jamal has her wearing weave) but she walks out of prison wearing weave....before she even re-united with Jamal?

Roxanne Ford

The Future Mrs. Gurira
Reaction score
Reactions
51,519 1,612 1,515
Alleybux
Because Lucius father is Malcolm X :arrogant:

Well, in an earlier episode Cookie insists that she's related to James Brown (Lucious jokingly calls her a pathological liar in response). Too bad James Brown isn't still alive, because he'd have made for a great cameo appearance....

Mz. Judgement

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
272,678 8,381 1,952
Alleybux
1. Hopefully there is more to come with that storyline because like you said no rich family would just accept someone coming up and saying this child is yours
2. It could be her real name
3. They might pop in the last two eps
5. She a debutant, I am not surprise she knows other languages
8 and 9. Hopefully, they are working on wrapping up these two story lines because they can't just leave them both hanging. As well as Bunkie's murder, I refuse to think it is all resolve because some man took the fall
12. I would love to see more flashbacks of Hakeem and Andre

Reaction score
Reactions
75,668 1,640 2,662
Alleybux
15. who is miss dottie, why did she 'decide she wanted to help raise the boys,' and why did she get killed on that corner in philly?

16. what happened to titan? is lucious going to sign him? will becky get to shadow the project as per lucious's agreement?

17. who was that aa buddy that vernon was blabbing to? why was vernon giving up such dirt to this guy?

Birdshu

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
20,523 2,111 3,248
Alleybux
I tell myself that they are laying the foundation for future story lines.

KraziliaLove

S I M S T V
Reaction score
Reactions
353,483 9,766 1,959
Alleybux
1. So we will be shocked when it is not his baby, but someone elses - maybe the brother.

2. Maybe we will find out her real name one day. lol

3. We have seen Cookie working with Elle, hard core, since she has been introduced. Maybe when that storyline die down, we will see Tiana some more.

4. We will learn more about this for sure.

5. Maybe she studied abroad and learned how to speak the language then.

6. No clue what they know about Andre and his illness so far. Hopefully we will get to hear more. We know in the black community, we are not big on diagnosing illnesses and taking meds for it. When my brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia, my grandfather's response was he needed to "snap out of it." :disdain: And, we know that Luscious is ignorant as hell. He may have the same type of response.

7. I hope so. I need Cookie to have a man who is for her above others, not like Luscious Lucius.

8. We will learn more about that for sure.

9. His crew do not know who did it.

10. We have to wait and see, damn girl. You are big on this instant gratification, I see. lolol.

11. Because Lucius is nuts. .. ... And, because they did not talk to him about it first. He is one of those types who you have to coddle or they will think you coming for their wig.

12. The show has had like eight episodes, there is still a lot of story to tell. I am sure we are going to learn more about all of their early lives, including Hakeem.

INCONSISTENCIES

(1) Where are the Jews? They're highly overrepresented in the music industry, but absent here.

Some of those white guys at the showcase thing they had could have been Jewish for all we know. lol.

(2) Coke has been in prison for 17 years, but yet can operate the soundboards with no problems. Surely music studios have had many tech upgrades in the past two decades?

Yea, I have watched shows where people have never seen a cell phone but come out of prison or whatever they disappeared from society to, yet know how to use one. It always made me laugh. You ever see that show Alcatraz on Fox? These people were "disappeared" from life for decades, yet knew how to navigate the new world with little problem. lol

(3) Cookie has all of this money now but no car (remember Episode 5 where she took a cab to Philly). She can afford to put a $5,000 hit on a drug dealer but can' afford a ride?

A lot of people do not have cars in NYC. (they are in NY right? lol )

(4) In Episode 1, Cookie claims to hate wearing weave (she says that Jamal has her wearing weave) but she walks out of prison wearing weave....before she even re-united with Jamal?

That was ha real hair, gurl... :cough:

SeriesENEC

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
271,504 9,936 1,720
Alleybux
#5 - Anika comes from a wealthy family so I am certain she went to the finest schools and is quite worldly.

#6 - I doubt Lucious was around much to raise those boys much less recognize Andre's issues, also given Lucious' mentality, he probably doesn't believe in mental health, I bet Dre was diagnosed as an adult.

#9 - would the crew retaliate when they don't know Cookie did it....remember he didn't leave the rose so I doubt the crew is thinking about her.

#3 Inconsistencies - Cookie ain't got no licenses.

THRILLHO

Simpson, eh
Reaction score
Reactions
79,596 2,198 194
Alleybux
#2 I think Cookie's real name was shown within the first few episodes on a mugshot, it was like Laverne or La- something.

jayde

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689 4
Alleybux
I think they just planted all those seeds for the seasons to come. there is no way they could solve everything that is presented...there would be no point to the show.

anidominus

Prince of Eden
Reaction score
Reactions
3,943 506 1,024
Alleybux
UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

(8) Did Cookie's ordeal as a "snitch" for the feds (which enabled her early release from prison) just disappear? Where are Agent Carter et al?

(9) Remember when Cookie put a hit on that drug dealer, after she thought that he left a "death rose" on her doorstep? No response from his crew? Seems odd.

I'm 100% certain this is going to comeback later. This is too good to let go. You have several things at play.

1) She hasn't snitched on Luscious Yet.
2) A known associate of the people she is testifying against has just been murdered.
3) Either the guy is no longer associated with that crew or if he is they have not put the pieces together yet.

(11) Why does Lucious question the loyalty of Andre and Vernon, when they risked their futures by covering for Lucious on Bunky's murder?

No Idea. They need conflict somewhere.

INCONSISTENCIES

From a writers perspective you only put in the story what you need because you have limited time. And "Seeing Jews" doesn't really add to the story.

Sound boards are not that hard to learn. No matter how big they are its all the same stuff across multiple channels. So she really only needs to learn what maybe 15 extra knobs do over the ones that were there when she went in. And she probably has time behind the scenes to do that.

probably no license. And why drive when you can afford someone to take you? My question would be why doesn't she have a limo and a driver.

Assuming that was weave... maybe cookie wasn't wearing it but Taraji was. lol

Roxanne Ford

The Future Mrs. Gurira
Reaction score
Reactions
51,519 1,612 1,515
Alleybux
As the new hit show nears its first season's conclusion in a few weeks, I wanted to address some things:

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

(1) Why have the Lyons not done a DNA test on Lola, Jamal's alleged 5-year-old daughter? I can't imagine that a rich family (or a black family, regardless of social class) would just take Olivia's word that Lola is his child. And if the child is Jamal's, why didn't Olivia seek child support, knowing Jamal's family is loaded. She's a former backup singer, but she didn' try to secure a record deal for herself for being Jamal's "beard? That makes no sense to me.

(2) What is Cookie's real first name? Surely no one actually names their daughter Cookie?

(3) Where is Tiana, the rising R&B star? Cookie is supposed to be a music manager for Tiana (and Elle Dallas), but is never seen with her clients besides her son Jamal?

(4) The Nation of Islam killed Lucious's father. What's the backstory?

(6) Is the Lyon family aware that Andre is bipolar? Vernon and of course Andre's wife knows, but it's unclear that the others do? Are we gonna get a backstory regarding the onset of Andre's disorder?

(7) Will songwriter "Puma" (Cuba Gooding Jr.) re-enter the picture as a love interest for Cookie since he remains sweet on her?

(10) Now that Jamal has come out, will Michael/Dora come back into his life or will that Australian mixed guy Ryan be his new boo?

I suspect that some of these questions will be answered in the meaning three episodes.

INCONSISTENCIES

A few of the unanswered questions were answered in last night's episode, as Tiana (and other artists) popped up on the scene. It's also clear that Jamal and Ryan are now dating, so Michael likely won't be re-entering the picture. Much of the family now knows (if they didn't earlier) that Andre isn't mentally OK.

Some inconsistencies in last night's episode:

(1) Anika and various artists fleeing to Creedmore was just unrealistic. Artists and top employees are tied to CONTRACTS with NO-COMPETE CLAUSES. They just can't sprint whenever the hell they want to do so.

(2) Why was Vernon -- Lucious's right-hand man -- missing in action when it was all hands on deck? Unless, I just overlooking Malik Yoba.

(3) Cookie gets pissy-ass drunk at Ghetto Ass Studio in order to secure artist Royal-T's loyality, but yet is sober just hours later to lead the charge in encouraging Tiana to remain with Empire? That's just unrealistic.

sierra

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
92,586 6,132 3,640
Alleybux
1) Why in Episode 7 when Luscious and Cookie are dancing in the living room, she puts her hand on his shoulder, she has a band-aid covering her left ring finger fingernail (like she has a broken acrylic) but it's gone and she has a nail to match all the others on that finger by the time they get into the bed.

2. How as drunk as Cookie was in the studio when she drank all the males to sleep did she sober up so quick and continue on w/the war business w/o missing a beat.

3. Why Teyana acts like her live-in girlfriend doesn't exist and says she wants things to go back to the way they were w/Hakeem.

Roxanne Ford

The Future Mrs. Gurira
Reaction score
Reactions
51,519 1,612 1,515
Alleybux
1) Why in Episode 7 when Luscious and Cookie are dancing in the living room, she puts her hand on his shoulder, she has a band-aid covering her left ring finger fingernail (like she has a broken acrylic) but it's gone and she has a nail to match all the others on that finger by the time they get into the bed.

2. How as drunk as Cookie was in the studio when she drank all the males to sleep did she sober up so quick and continue on w/the war business w/o missing a beat.

3. Why Teyana acts like her live-in girlfriend doesn't exist and says she wants things to go back to the way they were w/Hakeem.

Yeah, that was another inconsistency. Since when has Tiana ever been that sweet on Hakeem. She dissed him from the moment they met, clearly only started talking to him when he got famous. She didn't even care one whit that he was seeing Camilla after she caught them in the large bathtub together.....she was only concerned about Hakeem missing practice time and dissing his mom/her manager. She's been into her white model girlfriend -- her true love -- and yet now all of a sudden loves Hakeem? That just came out of nowhere. Not believable.

aGOLDENbox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,779 2,580 744
Alleybux
Why are the flashback Lyon boys brown skin while the present sons are light skin?

THRILLHO

Simpson, eh
Reaction score
Reactions
79,596 2,198 194
Alleybux

I noticed that too but I figured she was referring to fronting like they were in a relationship for publicity. I assumed Tiana wanted to start that back up, but Hakeem was in love with Naomi and wasn't comfortable carrying on a fake relationship.
Either that or Tiana is bi- and broke up with the girlfriend, and does indeed have true feelings for Hakeem.

EgoTrippin

Nikki Rosa
Reaction score
Reactions
31,296 20 8
Alleybux
The only one I wondered about was the baby & DNA.
I just figured Luscious paid girly off since they were married & Jamal said they only slept together once. :dunno:

THRILLHO

Simpson, eh
Reaction score
Reactions
79,596 2,198 194
Alleybux
The only one I wondered about was the baby & DNA.
I just figured Luscious paid girly off since they were married & Jamal said they only slept together once. :dunno:

Based on the trailer for next week, it looks like we'll see some development or even resolution of this one. :cute2:

Kitty Katt

Killer Bey Nicki
Reaction score
Reactions
102,043 5,810 16,052
Alleybux
cookie was not drunk, she was high off of lean hence why they called it purple drank and hence why they were all asleep because lean makes you sleepy.

Roxanne Ford

The Future Mrs. Gurira
Reaction score
Reactions
51,519 1,612 1,515
Alleybux
cookie was not drunk, she was high off of lean hence why they called it purple drank and hence why they were all asleep because lean makes you sleepy.

Either way, she would not be in good condition to lead the charge to keep Tiana on the Empire payroll a mere hour or two after her sizzurp session with the fellas at Ghetto Ass Studio.

Maxine Shaw

LSA Attorney-at-LOL
Reaction score
Reactions
32,263 160 90
Alleybux
#2 I think Cookie's real name was shown within the first few episodes on a mugshot, it was like Laverne or La- something.

Loretha Holloway, but that can't be right. We know Cookie was married when she went to prison and she took the last name "Lyon". Also, her sister's name is Carol Hardaway (not Holloway). My guess is that Cookie's first name starts with a C and Hardaway is her maiden name.

My question is this: what horse got killed for Cookie's post-prison ponytail? She went in with a blonde wig!

Come4TheQueen

Listening: What Would You Do? - Tha Dogg Pound
Reaction score
Reactions
250,925 8,285 2,785
Alleybux

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Next week's previews give me the impression that Lucius staged the whole "babymomma" popping up on 'Mal to rattle his gay relationship with Michael AND to further complicate his potential coming out moment. Unfortunate for Lucius, Jamal decided to come out because of his daughter. I believe next week's episode will reveal the little girl isn't his and it was all a scheme Lucius manipulating ass concocted.

Roxanne Ford

The Future Mrs. Gurira
Reaction score
Reactions
51,519 1,612 1,515
Alleybux
Another inconsistency is that Hakeem must be at least 21 years old (since he's been seen up in the club with his pals), but yet is a baby in the flashback scene right before Cookie goes off to prison. If Cookie was in prison for 17 years, then Hakeem should be no older than 18....19 tops. If he's actually 21, then he should've been a 4-year-old in that flashback scene (and I'm ignoring that the flashback scene featured younger actors significantly darker than the adults playing those characters LOL)....

aGOLDENbox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,779 2,580 744
Alleybux
Another inconsistency is that Hakeem must be at least 21 years old (since he's been seen up in the club with his pals), but yet is a baby in the flashback scene right before Cookie goes off to prison. If Cookie was in prison for 17 years, then Hakeem should be no older than 18....19 tops. If he's actually 21, then he should've been a 4-year-old in that flashback scene (and I'm ignoring that the flashback scene featured younger actors significantly darker than the adults playing those characters LOL)....

Teens aren't legally allowed in adult clubs but a lot do get into them and Hakeem has a rich popular dad so he can probably get into any club he wants to.

JustJordie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,031 35 21
Alleybux
I have a question of my own. Why did Lucious's hairstyle change in every scene during the pilot???

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
I have a question of my own. Why did Lucious's hairstyle change in every scene during the pilot???

Yeah!

Part of Terrance's slimy appeal as Luscious is the conk! I wanna see the conk!

And I asked in another thread where the hell Vernon was during the last episode. His name was not even called. THAT is like the biggest inconsistency I have seen thus far ... Like who goes to war w/o his #2 in command?

TrueLifeDiva

I slay everyday
Reaction score
Reactions
23,758 856 124
Alleybux

Drew Barrymore was photographed as a young teenager (13yrs old I think) drunk, high, etc at clubs. People turned a blind eye because she was famous. Same thing for Lindsey Loan. It could hhappen...

Roxanne Ford

The Future Mrs. Gurira
Reaction score
Reactions
51,519 1,612 1,515
Alleybux
Yeah, that was a HUGE one. I mentioned it as a big inconsistency earlier in the thread. Quite a few folks have commented on it on the LSA forum. The writers are gonna need to tighten things up, so such glaring oversights aren't regular.

Birdshu

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
20,523 2,111 3,248
Alleybux

We've had that debate. Some people think that he is allowed to drink because he's rich. I've concluded that the writers don't care if it makes sense.

SimbaLuver

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
134,053 5,914 5,611
Alleybux
We've had that debate. Some people think that he is allowed to drink because he's rich. I've concluded that the writers don't care if it makes sense.

Teens drink all the time. In real life and on television. There are many parents who have no issue with their under 21 kid drinking alcohol. Kids even do it behind the parents back.

Maxine Shaw

LSA Attorney-at-LOL
Reaction score
Reactions
32,263 160 90
Alleybux
Why do people keep acting like Hakeem's drinking warrants some deep-ass debate? He regularly drinks in front of his own father, including in the pilot.

Having zoned out, I managed to catch the end credits. Carol (Cookie's younger sister) has the last name of Holloway, and her two children have the last name Holloway. Since Cookie's name on her release papers has the last name of Holloway, it's safe to assume that's her maiden name...though why she would go to prison under her maiden name, I have no idea. #inconsistencyavenue

So that means that her real first name is more than likely Loretha. UGH. I'd be a Cookie, too. I hope that gets retconned.

Reggi3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,652 45 8
Alleybux

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

I have no idea. I will say why would she leave the child with a rich family if it weren't his, knowing that they could easily get a DNA test and drop her right back off with her mamma...but since they haven't I can only say IDK.

Her dad is white and could possibly be Swedish or have Swedish ancestry. Plus I'm sure she is educated.

(6) Is the Lyon family aware that Andre is bipolar? Vernon and of course Andre's wife knows, but it's unclear that the others do? Are we gonna get a back story regarding the onset of Andre's disorder?

I've been thinking no but, what made Lucious order security to not let him leave? Maybe Jamal and Hakeem said something? I find it interesting Jamal knew how to calm him down, though that doesn't mean he knew.

SN: That moment in the elevator with the singing reminded me of the scene in Dream Catcher where the boy sang to the other boy who was being bullied...so sweet!

She already testified, hence her thinking the rose was a message for her, unless I missed something else?

They probably don't know it was her but it does seem as if it were dropped. The next episode she was dressing in Lingerie...she hasn't had a flashback or had a random moment where she was looking worried, sad, or guilty.

Honestly? I think they are threats to him. They have the potential to be great businessmen. Just my opinion though, could be reaching.

I'd like to see this too, especially since it was mentioned that Lucious kept Hakeem away from Cookie.

Not only that, she didn't even know what an IPO was but knows how to broker deals and set up meetings, events, photo shoots, etc...no one has questioned her credentials...I guess being an ex Lyon is enough?

This doesn't really mean anything.

I'm sure some of your other questions will be answered in later episodes.

Birdshu

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
20,523 2,111 3,248
Alleybux
Teens drink all the time. In real life and on television. There are many parents who have no issue with their under 21 kid drinking alcohol. Kids even do it behind the parents back.

Hakeem drinks at bars. Places that could lose their liquor licenses for serving him which makes his wealth worthless to them. Not only does he drink at bars but he gets drunk and pees on the floor and it makes the news and no one mentions the fact that he is 18. Not even the newscaster Like I said, it don't make no sense and I ain't gonna let the Empire writers keep having me arguning over things that none of us know the answer to.

SimbaLuver

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
134,053 5,914 5,611
Alleybux
Hakeem drinks at bars. Places that could lose their liquor licenses for serving him which makes his wealth worthless to them. Not only does he drink at bars but he gets drunk and pees on the floor and it makes the news and no one mentions the fact that he is 18. Not even the newscaster Like I said, it don't make no sense and I ain't gonna let the Empire writers keep having me arguning over things that none of us know the answer to.

Rich kids live in a different world than poor kids. Child stars were hanging out at Studio 54 back in the day. Folks should not even be debating this subject. Rick kids can do things poor kids cannot do. Teens drink liquor.