Engagement Ring Unpopular Opinons

charidotes dolius charmophron
OLDHEAD
Reactions
39,300 577 285
Alleybux
I refuse to have an engagement ring that is not gold.

gold supremacy, period.

Most of my jewelry is yellow gold or set in YG because it suits my undertones. Other brown women are best in white metals like platinum/WG/silver. They say neutrals can do some of both. It really depends. Some women will let trends override personal aesthetics/harmony.

chart_2.jpg

Reactions
208,766 5,635 4,352
Alleybux
Not sure how unpopular this is but yellow gold looks much better than silver or platinum on black and other dark skinned women.

Stones with too much metal used in the settting look cheap.

Cluster rings are TERRIBLE. Just throw them all away.

Halos rarely look good except on sizable oval stones à la Kate Middleton.

I like bling but any round diamond ring with a solitaire over 3.5 carats looks a bit bogus for everyday wear.
It surprises me that more women don’t have yellow gold bands. Most women wear yellow gold jewelry because it’s more flattering, so why not use it on your most important piece of jewelry?!

I think I remember hearing someone claim that it was considered dated, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions
208,766 5,635 4,352
Alleybux
Some lady created a whole blog about the ugliness of black women's engagement rings (she was black too). It has since been deleted but if she wasn't on point. Those rings be ugly ass FUCK in The Marriage Club. The "upgrades" look worse than the original rings.
I agree lol. African American women love them some gaudy ass rings.
Wendy Williams, Tia Mowry, and Monique Samuels come to mind.

1321623525bf66cc1dbe574.jpg

d1e76c86403c647197dafb73a7709bec.png

fashion-monique-samuels-tadashi-shoji-one-shoulder-illusion-gown-03-600x600.jpg

President of LSA’s Homemakers Association
Reactions
52,679 743 441
Alleybux
It surprises me that more women don’t have yellow gold bands. Most women wear yellow gold jewelry because it’s more flattering, so why not use it on your most important piece of jewelry?!

I think I remember hearing someone claim that it was considered dated, which is absolutely ridiculous.
Yes I heard yellow gold is dated but I like it. My dream ring is yellow gold but its just a band...Im not sold on an engagement ring but I saw a band that I like.

Reactions
208,766 5,635 4,352
Alleybux
Hate halos...didn't realize it was a popular opinion.

Wedding bands don't need to match your husband's.

Giant diamond and a thin band ia stupid.

Gemstone rings or atleast colored diamonds should be back in styoe.
I loooove gemstone rings. Especially Ruby’s and deep green emeralds! They are just too soft for everyday wear, though :(

The good thing is that moissanites come in a variety of colours so people are turning to them to get the colour rings they want!

2e269714067f395792a9ba7af951f8da.jpg

GR013-oval-cut-red-ruby-and-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-hand-view-commins-and-co-dublin-ireland.jpg

Reactions
131,042 2,053 364
Alleybux
My unpopular opinion is that yellow gold rings are classic and will always be. I know the trend is to go with white gold/platinum but yellow gold is more beautiful and compliments brown skin significantly more.

ETA - I went through the thread and realized other people think the same.

Reactions
5,858 35 53
Alleybux

I know! I don't get it either. I'm African so yellow gold is it for me. Not liking yellow gold is mostly an American thing. But it depends on subcultures. I know that Jewish couples exchange plain gold bands as a matter of tradition. A Swedish friend also has gold rings.

My ering and future band are 18k yellow gold. I would get 22k but it's too soft for daily wear. Anything under 18k isn't even legally considered gold in some places.

Whole countries were plundered for gold and it's dated now?! Haha ok.

Last edited:
Reactions
31,112 262 97
Alleybux
Yes I heard yellow gold is dated but I like it. My dream ring is yellow gold but its just a band...Im not sold on an engagement ring but I saw a band that I like.

I heard about yellow gold being dated as well. Meghan Markle has put it on the map again in recent years.
It never went out of style for me. Gold suits my skintone and I never have to worry about it tarnishing.
I loooove gemstone rings. Especially Ruby’s and deep green emeralds! They are just too soft for everyday wear, though :(

The good thing is that moissanites come in a variety of colours so people are turning to them to get the colour rings they want!

2e269714067f395792a9ba7af951f8da.jpg

GR013-oval-cut-red-ruby-and-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-hand-view-commins-and-co-dublin-ireland.jpg

Gemstones>>>>>

Diamonds are severely overrated. I need color in my life lol

JamQueen
Reactions
22,362 101 78
Alleybux
I heard about yellow gold being dated as well. Meghan Markle has put it on the map again in recent years.
It never went out of style for me. Gold suits my skintone and I never have to worry about it tarnishing.

Gemstones>>>>>

Diamonds are severely overrated. I need color in my life lol
Giving a Welsh Gold simple band, is actually part of British Royal Family Tradition.

CC3F9193-6851-4AFC-9055-5DB33DCEC037.jpeg

JamQueen
Reactions
22,362 101 78
Alleybux
I do like Yellow gold bands too. But, the only thing is that if you have a really white diamond, setting it in yellow gold can give it a slight yellow hue. This is why most people opt for white gold or platinum, but if you do choose a yellow gold ER setting, then you can save a lot of money by buying a diamond that is in the I,J, or K color range.

Card carrying member of the Robinettes
Reactions
166,577 3,366 1,332
Alleybux
Petite women look good with petite rings. There’s this small woman at my job and her ring is small (not tiny or cheap but small) and it just looks so pretty and suits her.

OLDHEAD
Reactions
39,300 577 285
Alleybux
I do like Yellow gold bands too. But, the only thing is that if you have a really white diamond, setting it in yellow gold can give it a slight yellow hue. This is why most people opt for white gold or platinum, but if you do choose a yellow gold ER setting, then you can save a lot of money by buying a diamond that is in the I,J, or K color range.

True. Many YG designs will still have platinum prongs.

Reactions
208,766 5,635 4,352
Alleybux
Yes, it's awesome!!

Reactions
208,766 5,635 4,352
Alleybux
True. Many YG designs will still have platinum prongs.

How do you feel about two toned rings like that? I'm a little on the fence!!! I like them some days but not others!

OLDHEAD
Reactions
39,300 577 285
Alleybux
How do you feel about two toned rings like that? I'm a little on the fence!!! I like them some days but not others!

I like them if the platinum prongs ( preferably claw prongs) are streamlined.

Filename0111_master.jpg

Filename0115_master.jpg

6094abb32a82534c1a6ffbe57a7555f3.jpg

I've seen designs where they've added more plat./WG/rhodium in the shank and it gives a more of two-tone effect.
140-00754-02.jpg

98d4cfb6a98817a17ce7614b7855ddee.jpg

I'm not crazy about that. It also depends of how much metal is used in the design (I prefer the look of medium to thin bands.)

Some women who have gold, platinum, WG/silver etc in their collections go for a mixed metal look so their wedding/anniv rings go with all/most of their other jewelry. Seems chaotic to me but it's not my business. :lol

212868_engagement-loose-diamonds-diamond.jpg

If I want to be really AR about it, any white/near colorless diamond in YG is kinda already a two-tone situation. A fancy to vivid yellow would be the 'matchiest.'

Reactions
5,822 77 21
Alleybux
-You are not shallow or a gold digger if you only want a diamond engagement ring.

-A lot of women who SAY they don’t need a diamond engagement ring deep down really WANT one. Even more so than women who do say they only want a diamond engagement ring.

-A woman who waits a very long time to get engaged deserves a large, expensive ring for her patience.

Reactions
5,858 35 53
Alleybux

I have a two toned ring with a D color diamond. I almost went for all yellow gold but didn’t want the reflection of the color in the stone. I’m glad I did two tone because the white gold claw prongs and stone are really seamless and you can’t see the difference face up, but I still get the yellow band. I love it! You should try some on at a store.
-A woman who waits a very long time to get engaged deserves a large, expensive ring for her patience.
That part. When we came up with the budget for my ring, I literally calculated ‘X amount he should have been saving per month multiplied by the number of years we’ve been seriously talking about marriage’. No way I was not getting exactly what I wanted and lucky for him a bit less than 3 months salary.

For example if he makes a 100k per year, he can spend 30k reasonably assuming he’s been saving correctly.

Southern Bell Raisin' Hell
Reactions
74,553 594 375
Alleybux
My engagement ring is two toned- my goofy ass husband knows that I heavily fuck with yellow and rose gold and never wear silver/white gold yet he got me a white + rose gold ring. Now I can't knock him because I LOVE it and since I have a rose gold pave wedding band it makes the rose in my E ring pop and I can still wear my other gold jewelry without looking mismatched and tacky.

It does depend on the design though, obviously. I've seen ugly ass two toned rings too (the same ring he got me actually also came in yellow + white gold and looked ugly with those colors together so I'm glad he went the route he did)

Reactions
4,273 68 8
Alleybux
I feel like those who continuously gush about their moisannite rings and how beautiful and ethical they are versus diamonds, feel some type of way about not having a Diamond. I know someone who has to bring up how her ring is moisannite everytime she posts it on SM.

also, big and dark diamonds < smaller diamond with good color, clarity, cut, no fluorescence.

Reactions
1,401 52 12
Alleybux
Princess cut and emerald cut are ugly

Rose gold band for the win. White gold/platinum is overdone.

lab grown diamonds are exactly the same as earth diamonds. Save some money.

Spending more than $10K on a ring is dumb. At least for the starter Idk how much money you have.

plain bands are boring.

Thinner bands look better and more feminine than thick bands.

The woman should pick out her ring. Let how he proposes be the surprise.

Color and clarity matter more than size.

If you want a diamond. You should get a diamond. Nothing sparkles like it. I own mossainte (sp) jewelry. It’s not the same.

The Culture

General Alley

Recent Posts

• Poll
“My wife inherited $800K. She put $300K toward our mortgage and $500K in her own bank account”
Another simp that fell for the provider scam lol. Yeah sounds like being a husband and father was a SCAM for him. He spent his entire life taking...
Love Island - Winter 2020 Discussion Thread!
our man lukeT has now joined the ranks of jourdanryane and patbright - he recently signed with the agency behind those 2 talents.
  • Poll
"The phone's not ringing for Cambridges..."
Naw, they're doing it for free on YouTube, baby! So classy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: The royalists were right about the royals not being mere...
So Bobby Brown Was Kidnapped by “Preacher”?
According to former gang member David Collins, Brown was kidnappedby New York street gang the Preacher Crew over a $25,000 drug debt in 1993...
The Best Pocket Pussy
I randomly glanced at the title on the sidebar and I had to check which forum this was posted in before I clicked....
Top Bottom