Quantcast

Engagement Ring Unpopular Opinons

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,447 1,392 1,031
Alleybux
It surprises me that more women don’t have yellow gold bands. Most women wear yellow gold jewelry because it’s more flattering, so why not use it on your most important piece of jewelry?!

I think I remember hearing someone claim that it was considered dated, which is absolutely ridiculous.
I know! I don't get it either. I'm African so yellow gold is it for me. Not liking yellow gold is mostly an American thing. But it depends on subcultures. I know that Jewish couples exchange plain gold bands as a matter of tradition. A Swedish friend also has gold rings.

My ering and future band are 18k yellow gold. I would get 22k but it's too soft for daily wear. Anything under 18k isn't even legally considered gold in some places.

Whole countries were plundered for gold and it's dated now?! Haha ok.

Last edited:

Shy But Fly

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,788 1,106 212
Alleybux
Yes I heard yellow gold is dated but I like it. My dream ring is yellow gold but its just a band...Im not sold on an engagement ring but I saw a band that I like.

I heard about yellow gold being dated as well. Meghan Markle has put it on the map again in recent years.
It never went out of style for me. Gold suits my skintone and I never have to worry about it tarnishing.
I loooove gemstone rings. Especially Ruby’s and deep green emeralds! They are just too soft for everyday wear, though :(

The good thing is that moissanites come in a variety of colours so people are turning to them to get the colour rings they want!

2e269714067f395792a9ba7af951f8da.jpg

GR013-oval-cut-red-ruby-and-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-hand-view-commins-and-co-dublin-ireland.jpg

Gemstones>>>>>

Diamonds are severely overrated. I need color in my life lol

JamQueen

JamQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
40,292 1,947 449
Alleybux
I heard about yellow gold being dated as well. Meghan Markle has put it on the map again in recent years.
It never went out of style for me. Gold suits my skintone and I never have to worry about it tarnishing.

Gemstones>>>>>

Diamonds are severely overrated. I need color in my life lol
Giving a Welsh Gold simple band, is actually part of British Royal Family Tradition.

CC3F9193-6851-4AFC-9055-5DB33DCEC037.jpeg

JamQueen

JamQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
40,292 1,947 449
Alleybux
I do like Yellow gold bands too. But, the only thing is that if you have a really white diamond, setting it in yellow gold can give it a slight yellow hue. This is why most people opt for white gold or platinum, but if you do choose a yellow gold ER setting, then you can save a lot of money by buying a diamond that is in the I,J, or K color range.

Monika Mann

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
198,353 5,447 1,451
Alleybux
Petite women look good with petite rings. There’s this small woman at my job and her ring is small (not tiny or cheap but small) and it just looks so pretty and suits her.

jeido

charidotes dolius charmophron
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
43,091 673 315
Alleybux
I do like Yellow gold bands too. But, the only thing is that if you have a really white diamond, setting it in yellow gold can give it a slight yellow hue. This is why most people opt for white gold or platinum, but if you do choose a yellow gold ER setting, then you can save a lot of money by buying a diamond that is in the I,J, or K color range.

True. Many YG designs will still have platinum prongs.

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,819 10,717 6,565
Alleybux
Yes, it's awesome!!

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,819 10,717 6,565
Alleybux
True. Many YG designs will still have platinum prongs.

How do you feel about two toned rings like that? I'm a little on the fence!!! I like them some days but not others!

jeido

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
43,091 673 315
Alleybux
How do you feel about two toned rings like that? I'm a little on the fence!!! I like them some days but not others!

I like them if the platinum prongs ( preferably claw prongs) are streamlined.

Filename0111_master.jpg

Filename0115_master.jpg

6094abb32a82534c1a6ffbe57a7555f3.jpg

I've seen designs where they've added more plat./WG/rhodium in the shank and it gives a more of two-tone effect.
140-00754-02.jpg

98d4cfb6a98817a17ce7614b7855ddee.jpg

I'm not crazy about that. It also depends of how much metal is used in the design (I prefer the look of medium to thin bands.)

Some women who have gold, platinum, WG/silver etc in their collections go for a mixed metal look so their wedding/anniv rings go with all/most of their other jewelry. Seems chaotic to me but it's not my business. :lol

212868_engagement-loose-diamonds-diamond.jpg

If I want to be really AR about it, any white/near colorless diamond in YG is kinda already a two-tone situation. A fancy to vivid yellow would be the 'matchiest.'

Mermaid_Ram

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,562 857 381
Alleybux
-You are not shallow or a gold digger if you only want a diamond engagement ring.

-A lot of women who SAY they don’t need a diamond engagement ring deep down really WANT one. Even more so than women who do say they only want a diamond engagement ring.

-A woman who waits a very long time to get engaged deserves a large, expensive ring for her patience.

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,447 1,392 1,031
Alleybux

I have a two toned ring with a D color diamond. I almost went for all yellow gold but didn’t want the reflection of the color in the stone. I’m glad I did two tone because the white gold claw prongs and stone are really seamless and you can’t see the difference face up, but I still get the yellow band. I love it! You should try some on at a store.
-A woman who waits a very long time to get engaged deserves a large, expensive ring for her patience.
That part. When we came up with the budget for my ring, I literally calculated ‘X amount he should have been saving per month multiplied by the number of years we’ve been seriously talking about marriage’. No way I was not getting exactly what I wanted and lucky for him a bit less than 3 months salary.

For example if he makes a 100k per year, he can spend 30k reasonably assuming he’s been saving correctly.

Catalyst

Queen of Icy- Duchess of Drip
Reaction score
Reactions
133,221 1,551 710
Alleybux
My engagement ring is two toned- my goofy ass husband knows that I heavily fµck with yellow and rose gold and never wear silver/white gold yet he got me a white + rose gold ring. Now I can't knock him because I LOVE it and since I have a rose gold pave wedding band it makes the rose in my E ring pop and I can still wear my other gold jewelry without looking mismatched and tacky.

It does depend on the design though, obviously. I've seen ugly ass two toned rings too (the same ring he got me actually also came in yellow + white gold and looked ugly with those colors together so I'm glad he went the route he did)

Barryglock

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,346 879 301
Alleybux
I feel like those who continuously gush about their moisannite rings and how beautiful and ethical they are versus diamonds, feel some type of way about not having a Diamond. I know someone who has to bring up how her ring is moisannite everytime she posts it on SM.

also, big and dark diamonds < smaller diamond with good color, clarity, cut, no fluorescence.

Graysheetz

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,587 138 17
Alleybux
Princess cut and emerald cut are ugly

Rose gold band for the win. White gold/platinum is overdone.

lab grown diamonds are exactly the same as earth diamonds. Save some money.

Spending more than $10K on a ring is dumb. At least for the starter Idk how much money you have.

plain bands are boring.

Thinner bands look better and more feminine than thick bands.

The woman should pick out her ring. Let how he proposes be the surprise.

Color and clarity matter more than size.

If you want a diamond. You should get a diamond. Nothing sparkles like it. I own mossainte (sp) jewelry. It’s not the same.

Mermaid_Ram

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,562 857 381
Alleybux
I feel like those who continuously gush about their moisannite rings and how beautiful and ethical they are versus diamonds, feel some type of way about not having a Diamond. I know someone who has to bring up how her ring is moisannite everytime she posts it on SM.
I don’t know your friend, but I’m guessing she acts like that to cover up the shame & embarrassment of not getting a diamond one. Deep down, she probably wished she got a diamond instead.

Barryglock

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,346 879 301
Alleybux
I don’t know your friend, but I’m guessing she acts like that to cover up the shame & embarrassment of not getting a diamond one. Deep down, she probably wished she got a diamond instead.

yeah I feel the same way. I have some other gfs with beautiful gemstones that aren’t diamonds, and they don’t write paragraphs of why diamonds are unethical every time they post pictures.

jeido

OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
43,091 673 315
Alleybux
yeah I feel the same way. I have some other gfs with beautiful gemstones that aren’t diamonds, and they don’t write paragraphs of why diamonds are unethical every time they post pictures.

It was really bad on WeddingBee...I mean, why not just ease on down the road with their moissanite/cz and let it rest?! Some of the gals were writing essays & treatises. smh.

The women who prefer and get sapphires, rubies, emeralds(you have to baby those so much tho) etc. never go through the antics that the diamond-simulant gals do.

maxwell1984

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,511 1,004 286
Alleybux
My engagement ring is 18K rose gold with an amethyst stone. I wanted something very distinct and my husband found a bespoke ring maker. Much cheaper than your standard chain stores as well but the quality is extremely high.

Hellobaby98

City of Love
Reaction score
Reactions
32,703 1,318 767
Alleybux
Unpopular opinion: Men love showing off and the size and cost of your ring IS actually a testament to how much your future husband will value and love you. This can possibly also show that he's happy to provide for you. If a man is willing to spend a good buck on a ring, imagine what else he'll spend on just for you.

Also, I don't care if diamonds aren't really rare, I want one.
Exactly. /endthread

GoBeDo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,217 420 356
Alleybux
Really unpopular opinion - most engagement rings aren't anything to write home about. Plenty of women with expensive engagement rings still get cheated on, mistreated, and dogged by their husbands. It's not about the ring - it's about the mindset and the commitment. The "A diamond is forever campaign" that started in 1947 is hands down the most successful advertising campaign ever - as it has subsequently convinced people of all races, ethnic groups, and income levels to desire a diamond wedding ring. Brilliant.

GoBeDo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,217 420 356
Alleybux
I think somebody made a thread about this lmfao

she wasn’t lying
She clearly didn't know very many white women, lol. Women of all colors walk around with ugly ass engagement rings - do they care? Probably not. As far as they are concerned, they got what really mattered: an engagement ring. Period. Followed by wedding and a husband. I read her blog and it came off a bit self hatey and I have a problem with blackness with me. Another person equating whiteness with "better" in this case, engagement rings.

IndigoKnows

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,293 8,876 8,861
Alleybux
Really unpopular opinion - most engagement rings aren't anything to write home about. Plenty of women with expensive engagement rings still get cheated on, mistreated, and dogged by their husbands. It's not about the ring - it's about the mindset and the commitment. The "A diamond is forever campaign" that started in 1947 is hands down the most successful advertising campaign ever - as it has subsequently convinced people of all races, ethnic groups, and income levels to desire a diamond wedding ring. Brilliant.
This is not an unpopular opinion. So many women (seems like the ones who are pick me's) are always the ones talking about how they don't need an expensive ring, etc. Just say you have low standards and go. I absolutely want my ring to be one of the testaments of my husband's love for me. A man can spend a good dime on a ring AND still be an amazing. It's possible. We don't always need to want to see women in struggle marriages/relationships. And yes, a cheap ring is an indication of struggle love because this man clearly can't provide for his family if an appropriate ring for a woman who is carrying his last name will break his bank. A man who spends $80 on a ring is a man who really doesn't give a sh!t.

But I'm also one of those folks who feels that poor people shouldn't get married or have children. So there's that.

Last edited:

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,819 10,717 6,565
Alleybux
View attachment 2496490
I also really like Ariana Grande's engagement ring, like I'M IN LOVE WITH IT. the way it looks and the cute meaning behind it.

Some of my friends and others were saying it didn't look too good but I think it's different in a good way, modern, but also timeless and elegant.

If I could get any engagement ring, I want it to be inspired by this.
She started a huge trend with this ring. Duos have quickly become one of the most requested designs since she unveiled hers. It reminds me of how everyone wanted Blake Lively’s pink oval engagement ring.

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,819 10,717 6,565
Alleybux
I like them if the platinum prongs ( preferably claw prongs) are streamlined.

Filename0111_master.jpg

Filename0115_master.jpg

6094abb32a82534c1a6ffbe57a7555f3.jpg

I've seen designs where they've added more plat./WG/rhodium in the shank and it gives a more of two-tone effect.
140-00754-02.jpg

98d4cfb6a98817a17ce7614b7855ddee.jpg

I'm not crazy about that. It also depends of how much metal is used in the design (I prefer the look of medium to thin bands.)

Some women who have gold, platinum, WG/silver etc in their collections go for a mixed metal look so their wedding/anniv rings go with all/most of their other jewelry. Seems chaotic to me but it's not my business. :lol

212868_engagement-loose-diamonds-diamond.jpg

If I want to be really AR about it, any white/near colorless diamond in YG is kinda already a two-tone situation. A fancy to vivid yellow would be the 'matchiest.'
I prefer when just the prongs are a different colour vs an ombré band! It makes sense for pairing with eternity bands vs keeping the prongs gold

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,819 10,717 6,565
Alleybux

also, big and dark diamonds < smaller diamond with good color, clarity, cut, no fluorescence.
I think people are like that because it’s still a relatively new stone. Can’t knock them because those are the same reasons I prefer moissanites as well lol! Plus the cost savings of course.

Speaking of coloured diamonds, I feel like fancy yellows deserve to be more popular! They’re stunning and so elegant!

Cocolove

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,007 470 130
Alleybux
If a ring I’d being passed down to you and it’s ugly don’t feel obligated to accept it.

HeySunshine22

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
241,654 5,826 2,090
Alleybux
Unpopular opinion mixed with rant:

There’s this kind of sweet tradition of the groom-to-be going to the future bride’s best friend to ask for help with the ring and guidance. I always thought it would be an amazing process. I went through that a few months ago and at first I was sooooooo honored. And then I realized.... he is going to buy one of the exact rings I sent him for inspiration.

It was a little bittersweet... sweet because she’ll have a ring that perfectly matches her style and personality. But bitter because for the rest of my life, I’ll know that he was too clueless to pick a direction or find something that fused their personalities. He literally went with one that I sent him..

Again, more of a rant. But I think my UO is women need to ask themselves do they even want a man that is 100% clueless about what she likes and how to get it? A little guidance, sure. But buying a ring suggested by someone -not- in the relationship? No.

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,819 10,717 6,565
Alleybux
Unpopular opinion mixed with rant:

There’s this kind of sweet tradition of the groom-to-be going to the future bride’s best friend to ask for help with the ring and guidance. I always thought it would be an amazing process. I went through that a few months ago and at first I was sooooooo honored. And then I realized.... he is going to buy one of the exact rings I sent him for inspiration.

It was a little bittersweet... sweet because she’ll have a ring that perfectly matches her style and personality. But bitter because for the rest of my life, I’ll know that he was too clueless to pick a direction or find something that fused their personalities. He literally went with one that I sent him..

Again, more of a rant. But I think my UO is women need to ask themselves do they even want a man that is 100% clueless about what she likes and how to get it? A little guidance, sure. But buying a ring suggested by someone -not- in the relationship? No.
To be fair, I hate the tradition that a man has to guess at the style of ring you’d want to wear for the rest of your life. I think it’s best for his woman to show him and provide options so he is 100% on the decision. Engagement rings tend to be expensive and are meant to last forever — so why put all that on a man?

Your taste in engagement rings could be wildly different from general jewelry.

My SO got me a ring a few months into dating that I love so much and wear every day, but would be a little disappointed in as an engagement ring because it’s not what I’d go for for that purpose if you get what I mean. It’s still beautiful nonetheless.

For the engagement ring, his sister asked me to show her what I liked and took photos of the rings. I’d Rather he chose one of them (like your friend’s guy did) than try to fuse his personal style into it lol.

BTW girl, he was engaged before and considered giving me the other girl’s ring!!!! Thank god I made it clear early on that I abhor round solitaires.

HeySunshine22

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
241,654 5,826 2,090
Alleybux
My SO got me a ring a few months into dating that I love so much and wear every day,

Ok let’s talk about this. Tell me more sis. Because I’ve been wanting to hit to my new-ish boyfriend that I want something like a promise ring because really I have my eye on this beautiful eternity band.

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,819 10,717 6,565
Alleybux
Ok let’s talk about this. Tell me more sis. Because I’ve been wanting to hit to my new-ish boyfriend that I want something like a promise ring because really I have my eye on this beautiful eternity band.
Oooo! I love eternity bands!! Go for it!

Things with my guy moved a bit quickly because we’re “older” (early 30’s) and established and on the same page about marriage and children.

We moved in together after a couple of months then the month after that he surprised me with a ring he chose out at the jewelers for me.

He said it was too soon to propose but that he still wanted me to have a beautiful ring! So sweet lol.

I think we will be engaged this fall/winter but I’m just chilling for now and happy with what I have. It will become the ring I wear when we travel instead to keep the engagement ring safe in the future.