Quantcast

Every man on Insecure ranked

thatghchick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,994 125 8
Alleybux
I did not see that number 1 man coming lmao. The actor's reaction on Insta was too cute. Below is the article. What are you guys' thoughts?

The best part of Insecure is talking about Insecure — fussing over it, yelling at it, tweeting about it. Issa Rae’s HBO series brings together late-20-somethings who seem like people you know but keep at a distance because they move too messily. Issa and Molly’s relationship anchors the series, but their dealings with (and misgivings about) the men that orbit them make for some of the series’s strongest drama. There’s Nathan. There’s Andrew. There’s Lawrence. But who’s the best dude on Insecure, and who’s the worst?

The criteria: How is this man as a co-worker, boyfriend, sibling, or friend? How often did he ghost, cheat, or flake? The rules: The man in question must appear in two or more episodes of Insecure. (Unfortunately, that leaves out the revolving door of guys Issa went out with in the immediate aftermath of Lawrence, the guy Molly dated who thought two glasses of Malbec earned him a night of passion, and the 20-something Kelli met in Malibu who looked “just like Jill Scott.”) So here is the definitive ranking of every man to appear on Insecure.

27. Dro
aa56adb5ff2370fe196428dec0e993689d-dro-sarunas-j-jackson.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Photo: Courtesy of HBO
I hate this too tall, too tight-shirt-wearing man. I hate him! (Important to note that ranked higher than him are Molly’s two incompetent colleagues and a fictional antebellum slave owner.) He teased Molly with the trappings of a real relationship: comforting her after learning about her dad’s infidelity, bubble baths, dates, a Los Angeles day party — my God. When Molly repeatedly expressed confusion over the terms of their relationship and said that she was enjoying their time together a little too much, he gaslighted her as if he hadn’t been leading her to higher expectations. Andhe’s too tall.

Due North
255d9b539357fa877767638fabb494e794-slave-owner-scott-foley.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

He was a slave owner. So.

25. Vice-Principal Gaines
31804679311a248853403260c8c201a96e-vice-principal-gaines-a-russell-andrews.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

I know that the vice-principal of We Got Y’all’s partner school wants to do what’s best for the underserved black students at his school, but turning away Latino students from PSAT tutoring is not right!

24. Ken
e185bf8bc10f3058fb6300a3b9b3d45e2d-ken-mason-mcculley-2.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Issa’s white We Got Y’all co-worker is the kind of white colleague to whisper surreptitiously when he says Baldwin Hills is known as the “black Beverly Hills.” For whom, Ken? For what? He was the leader of the “secret white meetings” and the “secret white emails.” He expects Issa to understand that he represents the gay community in their We Got Y’all meetings and she represents the black one.

23. Daniel
412404901ac4b511f48db27de49cdabfad-daniel-ylan-noel-2.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Oh, Daniel, Issa’s “What if?” guy. He was the fantasy that snapped her out of her relationship with Lawrence. Issa hadn’t felt appreciated or desired for years, but a perfectly timed “What’s up?” from Daniel was enough to rekindle a friendship that was always a little something more. Too bad Daniel’s flirty texts and lingering glances masked his selfishness: He only wanted a relationship with Issa on his terms, when he was ready, when hedidn’t have anything else going on. He shows up to her work events and office unannounced, only to manipulate her attention. Sometimes she can live with him as a friend, sometimes as more than a friend, sometimes he’ll flirt with other girls in front of her, or not care if she’s in the next room hearing them have xes. In or out of their unstable relationship, Daniel likes to keep Issa in his life, but at a distance.

22. Lawrence
76196542ec4f40851db385bccf89f28d95-lawrence-jay-ellis.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

We had to make it here eventually. Everything with Lawrence — loving him, hating him, cheating on him, making up with him, trying to be friends with him, resenting him for sleeping on her couch — is the second most important relationship of Issa’s 20s. Insecure’s first episode had Issa making plans to break up with her down-and-out boyfriend; four years later, she’s still trying to figure out how to keep him in her life but not at its center. Let’s establish that they had a terrible, no good, very bad relationship, one that was toxic for them both. Issa was supportive (for four years! When he had no job and no ambitions and no plans and no initiative to be a good partner!) until she couldn’t give him any more emotional labor. Lawrence was lazy and selfish and proud until he lashed out. But where does that leave him?

Not great! He has the veneer of a nice guy because he dresses with intention and seems thoughtful. He improves with every relationship Insecure finds him in — things with Condola were markedly better than things with Issa, albeit with much lower stakes — but still he doesn’t actually listen to women or consider their needs. He is a frustrated, jealous friend even when he’s successful. All he did was get a job and a nicer clothes. Tasha was right about him in season two: “You a fµck ***** who thinks he’s a good dude.”

21. Jidenna
8e63165f361c791efe3b3f30303a1173b7-chris-jidenna-2.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Jidenna — his character has a name, but truly, why does it matter here? — dated Molly for a few episodes in season one. Compared to the revolving door of hoteps and fµck buddies she’d been out with, Jidenna seemed like a breath of fresh air. Their romance fizzles when she brings him to a co-worker’s engagement party and he introduces himself as her boyfriend. This was a bad, misleading thing to do, but Jidenna’s heart was (sort of) in the right place: Molly was jumping to way too many conclusions before she even slept next to this man with a scarf on, after only a few dates! “I thought you needed a win,” he told her. “We barely even know each other, and you’re talking about me leaving clothes at your spot, making plans six months in advance.” The message was delivered loud and clear and very clumsily, but Jidenna was being more honest with Molly than a lot of men on this list.

20. Mr. Robinson
df518e5ef1910fe3a1ce518040f13cab91-mr-robinson-king-kedar.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

All Issa’s tenant does is not curb his dog and then lie about having one. I appreciate the flex, but this is bad behavior!

19. Nathan
30ad7502e21a28537cdcb42dc44b2c6e45-nathan-kendrick-sampson.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Of all of Insecure’s men, Nathan is probably not there when you call, and he definitely won’t even be on time. But he’s the only ex-bae in Issa’s life who is at least trying to be better. Nathan started out promising enough when he stepped into her Party Lyft and defended Issa’s honor — or her car’s no-smoking policy — when an unruly passenger tried to light up. After a few dates and a very Before trilogy walk around Leimert Park, he ghosted her. Bad!

18. Neighbor Bae
688ebc44db4aed2f0c20103eafad2f0363-eddie-leon-thomas-iii.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

When Issa needed to get laid without a lot of effort, Neighbor Bae was conveniently just downstairs. (He was also, she later learned, stealing her Wi-Fi.) He wasn’t exactly straight up with her about the fact that he was sleeping with other people — once she came over and he was entertaining another woman — but they’d never explicitly defined the terms of their friendship.

17. Taurean
73e2e3c045a6a0edf4503c3c48938932b5-taurean-leonard-robinson.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Molly’s co-worker at her second law firm always finds a way to have a funky attitude about something.

16. Chad
5b7629a846560b7e05ef2132ffb9d8e608-chad-neil-brown-jr.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Chad believes in a law of averages, where all the women who were selective in their 20s lower their standards by their 30s, an economy that benefits his clownery. He’s a “Where my hug at?” type, more than happy to flirt with every woman within a five-mile radius. (Even with Lawrence sleeping on his couch, Chad batted his eyelashes at Issa!) And yet! Chad is pure chaotic neutral. He will tolerate his friends’ messiness only to a point. He’s the friend that will laugh alongside you when you’re making the biggest mistakes of your life, but if you ask him for real talk, he’ll give you tough love. Chad is good, but not perfect. Chad is messy, but not toxic. Half the things he says are idiotic (women, he says, don’t need male friends because “that’s extra dick around for no reason”), and half the things he says are profound (“Whatever happened to Bradley Cooper?”). That’s why he’s here, near the very middle.

15 and 14. Molly’s brothers
a7920e2b0227b5974af3846d73e4f6b4c1-curtis-richard-nevels.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Photo: HBO
Neither of Molly’s brothers — Jerome and Curtis — have anything major going for them. They’re not as ambitious as she is, but they do seem much happier. Good for them!

Last edited:

thatghchick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,994 125 8
Alleybux
13. Molly’s dad
926fbe56fdb791f1773ebf8cc21cce7493-david-gregg-daniel.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Yes, he cheated on Molly’s mom 20 years ago. But thank God for growth! He has been a loving and supportive husband and father ever since.

12. That guy Kelli dated who fingered her under the table at that restaurant
e8dadcc7f9c04647ebcfccac3ceab6879d-sweetie.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

[Redacted because my parents read this website.]

11. Spyder
The local L.A. rapper only has a short arc when Daniel wants to produce for him, but he does appreciate that Viola Davis is hot and that This Is Us is not very good. My standards are low, but this is acceptable.

10. Vince Staples
702d01c2900de3755eaa579368012e57bc-vince-staples.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

At the beginning of this list, I established some ground rules. I know that. I said I would only rank men who appeared in at least two episodes, but here comes Vince Staples, who only appeared in one episode. When you rank every single man on Insecure, you can follow your own rules! Vince Staples is talented and hot and charitable, and he doesn’t fault a woman for getting nosebleeds when she is nervous. My type!

9. Lionel
b50b9a5b927767555a18e2d83474c4339c-lionel-sterling-k-brown.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

It hurts my heart to rank a list of men without Sterling K. Brown catapulting to the top. Molly went on one date with Lionel in season two before she invited him to her parents’ vow renewal — nuts! — and he was perfect on paper. Lionel went to Penn, he had a job he was passionate about but didn’t monopolize all of his time, he had a five-year plan for his life that included marriage and kids, he wasn’t intimidated by Molly’s professional ambitions, and he was Sterling K. fµck!ng Brown. Molly didn’t go for him because she was starting to fall for Dro — table one for Miss Stake! — but Lionel wasn’t actually that engaging.

8. TSA Bae
6931bf19298809d34524eb99f56ba616b9-marvin-reggie-conquest.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

He doesn’t lie, he doesn’t cheat, he’s good in bed, and he’s available on call.

7. Derek
b3355e74ec24d818cdb8280b0101f351e2-derek-wade-allain-marcus.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Derek was the only friend to be upfront with Lawrence about how he contributed to the fizzling out of his relationship with Issa. He’s also (mostly) outgrown his weirdo, outdated ideas about masculine roles. When we first meet him, he and Tiffany believe in “he is the man and I am the woman.” By Issa’s block party, fatherhood has made him change his perspective slightly, but how many times do we need to have this conversation? A daughter does not a moral compass make?

6. Justin
ce2919214a7c15a992f0b2820a516b8392-justin-ivan-shaw.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Allow me to reintroduce you to Insecure’s Mr. Perfect. Justin teaches at the school hosting Issa’s first We Got Y’all class, and goes out of his way to casually flirt with Molly — remembering details she shared during an unseen career day — at the first season’s Baldwin Hills fundraiser. Justin is charitable, thoughtful, and totally didn’t freak out when Issa had a class of middle schoolers singing “Broken Pussy.” I liked this man! I wish he would come back.

5. Ahmal
a2cd4e9d2226ef79513860af153a29d859-ahmal-jean-elie.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

I am biased because Ahmal is my ideal type of person: hilarious, demanding, stylish, mean. He trades jabs with Kelli in every scene, and he cares about Issa, but refuses to be dragged into caring for her — she’s an adult! Ahmal is the king of tough love, but for the right reasons. And he appreciates a well-timed Khia needle drop.

4. Quentin
5e85f289960d0e5efb3b84f299c4425918-quentin-lil-rel-howery.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Molly’s Chicago-based co-worker was a nice guy, his preacher’s body be damned! He was the only man in her life (until Andrew) who was willing to take it slow, and he gave her legitimately good career advice. Granted, Molly is definitely not interested in him and needs to keep him safely in the friend zone. But everyone deserves a Quentin! I want a Quentin.

3. Andrew
937d0705c321b0c29d876babb336ccb9ce-andrew-alexander-hodge.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

The best thing about Andrew is his inscrutability, the way he actually engages with Molly and doesn’t let her rush their relationship or not own her drama. They first met at Coachella, and their romance had a rocky start: dates cut short by her oversensitivity and reluctance to unpack what went wrong in her previous situationships. But Andrew is present in the relationship, even when he refuses to bend to Molly’s oftentimes unreasonable whims or will. What’s not working in Andrew’s favor is that he’s a little too guarded, even if he’s supportive. Who really cares if he makes backup plans for when Molly’s job causes her to flake? He’s a keeper.

2. Jered
4c6db52642e3c7f7ae11a4ebe03eff3a7d-jered-langston-kerman.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

I never understood what Jered’s flaws were, in Molly’s eyes. He didn’t go to college (literally who cares), he works at Enterprise (but he has a job, and never expected her to pay for their dates), he’s hooked up with a guy (girl … grow up!), and he doesn’t really have art on his walls (let she who has framed all her posters cast the first stone). So what? Jered is loyal, in spite of Molly’s foolishness. He gives her chance after chance because he wants to build a relationship with her — one that is ultimately more than Molly is willing to handle. And then, when he realizes that, he is emotionally mature enough to know that he deserves better than her. Somewhere in Los Angeles, Jered is driving through a Popeyes drive-through because his girlfriend, Amber, had a craving, and I love that for him.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1. Thug Yoda
1184e7462097a53afdce36ae2b13e4f18b-thug-yoda-tristen-j-winger.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

I feel like one of those TMZ pop-up headlines: Memba Him?!’ “Thug Yoda” — real name: Miles — was the self-described “lover not a fighter” who lived in the Dunes complex near Issa and Lawrence’s first apartment. He’s also a Blood that does not use the letter C, but that doesn’t stop him from doling out unwanted but desperately needed advice during the rockiest times in Issa and Lawrence’s breakup. Thug Yoda has no flaws: He is accountable, a good father, a random-but-positive influence as a friend.

danappyscribe

got milk b!tch, got beef
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
198,526 4,386 1,103
Alleybux
how the hell taurean ranks on this list at all. and molly's dad? sh!t basically, if you had a penis, you got thrown on the list. this is random lol. i was expecting them to rank every guy the ladies were involved with.

dro is definitely where he belongs.

and am the only one who still calls thug yoda baby-voiced darius? i'm always shocked when he speaks in a normal voice lol

lulu91

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
120,744 976 139
Alleybux
The fact that they had supporting characters who were only on about 1 or 2 episodes on this list has me weak. I saw the number “27” and was confused, I thought it was going to be about the main male characters. :joy:

lanoire

there's some wh*res in this house
Reaction score
Reactions
179,506 8,633 2,251
Alleybux
I never understood what Jered’s flaws were, in Molly’s eyes. He didn’t go to college (literally who cares), he works at Enterprise (but he has a job, and neverexpected her to pay for their dates), he’shooked up with a guy (girl … grow up!),

:cautious:

moxyland

cracked out busted down washed up guttercat
Reaction score
Reactions
26,970 947 125
Alleybux
TSA Bae should be number one based off his stroke game. The man can throw down in the bed. Whew!
right... which of these other 26 bums are giving out free weed, liquor, and toiletries courtesy of TSA confiscation...

Daria M

Daria Morgendorffer
Reaction score
Reactions
44,316 1,362 946
Alleybux
I don’t know how Issa did it with TSA Bae his body was so gross. I had to fast forward that part because he looks like a blob naked. Then she reveals he has two kids and one on the way. I knew right then Issa may not love herself. How do you go from Nathan to f***ing the human blob.

danappyscribe

got milk b!tch, got beef
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
198,526 4,386 1,103
Alleybux
I don’t know how Issa did it with TSA Bae his body was so gross. I had to fast forward that part because he looks like a blob naked. Then she reveals he has two kids and one on the way. I knew right then Issa may not love herself. How do you go from Nathan to f***ing the human blob.

you grossed out but that fat MFer was dicking her down and had her damn near doing headstands off the side of the bed. I think he was good for what she needed at the moment lol. Just wish we got the back story for how she even got with his ass lol. Like what even made her look his way in the first place lol

he was still cuter than that pointy head neighbor in her apartment building lol

Daria M

Daria Morgendorffer
Reaction score
Reactions
44,316 1,362 946
Alleybux
you grossed out but that fat MFer was dicking her down and had her damn near doing headstands off the side of the bed. I think he was good for what she needed at the moment lol. Just wish we got the back story for how she even got with his ass lol. Like what even made her look his way in the first place lol

he was still cuter than that pointy head neighbor in her apartment building lol

Like this the “pointed head neighbor” how did Issa allow this?

Girl I fast forward that xes scene b/c Tsa Bae’s body was too nasty for my eyes. I don’t care how good he was in bed he just looked like he was attacking her with his fat body.

TheLetterD

Fourth Letter of the Alphabet
Reaction score
Reactions
212,100 2,200 476
Alleybux
My favorite male characters on "Insecure" are Chad and Ahmal. Ahmal is more my type, plus, the actor is Haitian and I love me an attractive Haitian man. However, Chad is also very handsome, a bit shady, and messy, but something about his light skinned short ass is sexy to me. I can't help but like him. Lol

lanoire

there's some wh*res in this house
Reaction score
Reactions
179,506 8,633 2,251
Alleybux
Since when did Insecure get so many Asian guys?

This list makes makes me glad I stopped watching #Disappointing

The one who plays Andrew actually has a black girlfriend in real life. Wonder if that’s why he was hired lol.

CCMe2004

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,986 877 702
Alleybux
I think they ranked every male that was ever on Insecure. So, Scott Foley had to have a ranking. I agree that Daniel was way too low. He's top 5 easily. They were also ranked by personality of their characters and not just looks. That's why Dro is exactly where he should be. Unfortunately, I think he's about to make a return to the show.

Kmissa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,606 302 82
Alleybux
I think they ranked every male that was ever on Insecure. So, Scott Foley had to have a ranking. I agree that Daniel was way too low. He's top 5 easily. They were also ranked by personality of their characters and not just looks. That's why Dro is exactly where he should be. Unfortunately, I think he's about to make a return to the show.

Scott Foley’s on “Due North” not Insecure. By that logic Bill Bellamy and the other guy from the Martin type show would’ve been on there. Not the biggest of deals, but not sure why she didn’t just rank the main male characters.

CCMe2004

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,986 877 702
Alleybux
Scott Foley’s on “Due North” not Insecure. By that logic Bill Bellamy and the other guy from the Martin type show would’ve been on there. Not the biggest of deals, but not sure why she didn’t just rank the main male characters.
Due North doesn't exist without Insecure. It's on Insecure. But you did bring up a good point that they missed the cast of "Kevyn." Prentice Penny is the showrunner. I can see why he may have been excused from the list. I'm not sure about Bill Bellamy though. They seem to be the only two missing.

Dimpz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,650 3,511 1,075
Alleybux
How is Nathan ranked higher than Daniel? Nathan literally dipped for NO reason while Daniel let Issa crash, rent-free, on his couch AND eventually offered his bed, maybe in hopes of getting some but that’s neither here nor there.

LadyV

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,515 162 30
Alleybux
Daniel
Daniel
Dro (needs his teeth fixed though)
Daniel

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
Since when did Insecure get so many Asian guys?

This list makes makes me glad I stopped watching #Disappointing
But the two Asian dudes are among the cutest on the show ...

Thug Yoda is my favorite male character because he's naturally funny.

YG_Bompton-front-large.jpg

kishikcm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,240 58 26
Alleybux
That picture alone of Thug Yoda has me cracking up. I like his character, he's not on enough.

744Boss

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,964 1,892 1,986
Alleybux
1. Chad
2. Lawrence

Chad is a dawg but a well-groomed dawg that could get it any day. Lawrence is just goals, once he gets his life together.

Jared Boo

Your fav racist 47 year old upperclass white woman
Reaction score
Reactions
84,117 8,670 7,146
Alleybux
None of the men on the show are desirable in anyway...personality nor looks. But if I had to choose or be pushed off a cliff I would go on a few dates with Derek.