Quantcast

Experiences with antidepressants?

Frenchesca P.

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,500 1,302 1,537
Alleybux
What were your experiences with antidepressants? I just started taking Celexa and so far it's ok. I'm still waiting for it to kick in. So far, I feel jittery and drowsy.

Inactive Acc

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
3,950 29 20
Alleybux
Prozac turned me into an emotionless zombie. I want to try Zoloft, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

jnikkij21

Keeping It Classy
Reaction score
Reactions
339 40 9
Alleybux
Lexapro 20mg and Wellbutrin 150mg... It works well, except for when I don't take it. Then I see and hear things. And my dreams become real to the point where I feel things happening.

Once I had a dream that I had a baby, and that the baby spit up on me, I could swear I felt the warm spit up on my chest.

Puss

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,861 5,383 637
Alleybux
Zoloft made me extra tired for a little bit, my psych swore I needed a higher dose. But I quit after my first prescription ran out.

vsantiaga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,802 121 47
Alleybux
Prozac me hyper and exhausted at the same time but it helped once I got used to it. Zoloft is good but notlong term so Wellbutrin was added and it really threw me off, I hated it. I'm not on medication anymore.

E.b

LOVES THE TASTE OF WHITE
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I've been on many different kinds. Give it 2-3 weeks if you don't feel a difference and if your still feeling those side effects then speak to your dr about it. Seeing a therapist along with medication is important as well. good luck

vsantiaga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,802 121 47
Alleybux
Also these meds mess with your xes drive. Well mine at least, didnt even wanna look at a dick.

susandes

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
44 1 2
Alleybux
i was on a few when i was younger, celexa worked the best for me but i was somewhat emotionally flat. it dampened my xes drive and i found it extremely hard to orgasm. i wasnt vivacious anymore, just kind of there and going through the motions of life. when i first started taking it, i would get really sick whenever i would drink.

now i exercise, eat right, sleep right, avoid alcohol/drugs and don't let myself get caught up in negative or self deprecating thoughts. i still get down, but i just chalk it up to the fact that its not normal to be happy all the time. exercise is the number one way to counteract depression naturally.

edit: oh yeah, a couple years of psychotherapy/psychoanalysis really helped as well!

LUPITA NYONGO

In The Bushes
Reaction score
Reactions
27,220 604 407
Alleybux
I was on generic Zoloft. I had very vivid dreams and it made me unable to orgasm. I took myself off. Then I tried Wellbutrin, and I went up to 300mg. That was great. I loved it.

danibee73

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
397 8
Alleybux
i took a low dose of lexapro back in the day. i think it helped level out my down days pretty well. was a b!tch when i phased off it though. slept for almost a whole day. good luck if u choose to go on anything. kudos to u for taking care of u :psmile:

Hanover Fist

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
165 10 2
Alleybux
Tried... Wellbutrin, zoloft, prozac, and one other that i do not remember the name of.. Zoloft was the only one that the side effects were more than i could put up with.. The others, yeah, your in for a week or two of feeling out of it.. Sleep all the time and jittery the rest. But eventually it levels out. None of them really helped my depression. If i took a dose high enough to over come it, i was a zombie.. In the end, being depressed was easier than feeling nothing at all.. But, i do know people that it has really helped. So i hope you found what works.
Another thing i learned with generic prozac, it was like $12 a month.. Ask the price for getting three months worth at a time.. It was like $15 for a 90 day supply.. Go figure....

Joie de Vivre

Loving Me
Reaction score
Reactions
5,659 79 26
Alleybux
I initially tried Zoloft & Wellbutrin and something else I can't remember but then……
I was put on Effexor and it scared me straight!

I took it for one week & it literally took 3wks to detox. Scary stuff!!
I took it & felt something wash over me that made me not feel anything.
It was like it took away my personality and emotions.
My hellion of a child came rushing through up to no good & I couldn't care less.
I had a coworker who took this stuff for a few years & when she was weaning off of it under the dr.'s care, she had stroke-like symptoms.

After that, I took all those things in the pamphlets seriously-like getting exercise, sleep, spirituality, hobbies….anything to decrease stress. My initial attitude was that I'd let the pill do all the work but not so, after Effexor.
I have however taken Xanax periodically. I learned that I can work on the depression part myself as long as I'm not anxious.

FYI, I was not severely or manically depressed and that gave me the option to medicate or not, but for anyone who's severely depressed, I definitely advise them to follow the doctors orders-it was just either too little or too much for me.

Carrie Grant

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,644 486 215
Alleybux
What were your experiences with antidepressants? I am on Celexa and so far it's ok. I'm still waiting for it to kick in. So far, I feel jittery and drowsy.

Yes, the drowsiness can be expected--I was having trouble sleeping and this was prescribed to me and it definitely worked!

susandes

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
44 1 2
Alleybux
I'm looking into therapy now. How long did it take for you to notice any improvement?

not sure if you are asking me, but i'll give you a reply as i have a lot of experience in the therapy department (lol).

therapy is not a quick fix - it takes a personal commitment, effort, and time. the first therapy i went for was cognitive therapy with a psychiatrist, which basically helps you change your thinking patterns and behaviors. we worked through this workbook:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Over-Mood-Change-Changing/dp/0898621283"]Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think: Dennis Greenberger, Christine Padesky: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZpnZp5H4L.@@AMEPARAM@@51ZpnZp5H4L[/ame]

it was extremely helpful initially and helped me see how my own thought patterns and false beliefs were contributing to my depression, and how to change them. i would say that after 3 months i was thinking differently, and after 6 months i was vastly improved (this was in combination with medication). i went from being bedridden to being a functional member of society.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_therapy"]Cognitive therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

later in my twenties i went for psychoanalysis with a jungian psychoanalyst. i found this extremely helpful as it helped me understand the underlying reasons for why i held certain beliefs about myself, and most importantly helped me deal with my childhood/parental/familial issues. we did a lot of dream analysis which was really cool to learn about; your dreams will really tell you everything about whats going on inside you if you know how to decode them.

i did that for 2 years and by the end of it, i was going into sessions and self analysing and my analyst would just sit there. i no longer need to go because i can basically do therapy on myself because i have learnt the process now.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoanalysis"]Psychoanalysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

last year i did 6 weeks of EMDR therapy, which totally blew my mind and was extremely, extremely helpful. this therapy was developed for sufferers of childhood trauma/abuse, people with ptsd, people who are extremely traumatized, but anyone can really benefit. basically it addresses events that have occurred that have had a significant effect on the patient, but the patient doesnt realize how impactful they were due to the fact that they were children and unable to fully process the event emotionally, or because it was so traumatic that the patient cant even bring it into conscious thought. i never had any childhood trauma and i didnt have ptsd, but i was surprised at the seemingly insignificant events of my early childhood that had a profound impact on me, and shaped my attitudes towards myself.

after 6 weeks, i went from being a chronic procrastinator and underachiever to being super motivated, confident, and secure in myself. i am honestly a completely different person after EMDR therapy and i think that everyone on earth should receive it.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMDR"]Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

OK - i know that this was very longwinded and you only asked a simple question, but i wanted to provide you with some good info here to help you in your selection of therapists and give you an idea of the different kinds of therapies out there. Hopefully this helps! all the best to you and i hope you find a good therapist!

PettyBooop

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,177 29 15
Alleybux
I'm what's deemed "medication-resistant. I've tried nearly everything mentioned above, to no avail. Right now, I use herbal supplements, i.e. 5htp and B-complex. They keep me functioning, but I'm nagged with dysthymia.

LEMONGRAB

SMELLS LIKE DOG BUNS
Reaction score
Reactions
1,057 4 5
Alleybux
I was on 200 mg Zoloft for six months with trazodone at night to help me sleep. Before antidepressants I was misdiagnosed as bipolar and put on stuff like Lamictal, Abilify and Ambien for sleep. I can say when I first began antidepressants they helped with my severe anxiety and panic attacks but as time went on the effects wore off and I started feeling really robotic. Like my body needs more and more medication to get the same effect. So they wanted to raise my dosage.

I got my dosage raised and it made me feel jittery and robotic still lol. That was the weirdest feeling ever, I gotta say. I think I do a lot better with anxiety management medication when I need it, I had a script for ativan for a while that I was free to take when I felt a panic/anxiety attack coming on to calm me down and that helped immensely. I'd be willing to try another kind of antidepressant because I do have periods of severe depression that last for days and then cycles out to anxiety and constant worry. Depression is a b!tch, I've had it for so long now it's just part of my usual being and I don't like it at all.

I haven't had great experiences with antidepressants and I'm tired of having to get my dosage raised every six months for it, I'm in the minority with not having the best time with Zoloft I guess. It works for a lot of people, it just hasn't worked as well for me. Trial and error with medication sucks but it is necessary to find what works for you.

lemon_drop

Been On these LSA Streetz for a Decade
Reaction score
Reactions
27,026 1,091 565
Alleybux
I used antidepressants, mainly Zoloft, for years and I can truly say they were all pretty much a waste of time and money. I'd definitely recommend therapy and vitamins before any antidepressant.

MsAnon1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,861 175 30
Alleybux
I'm on Zoloft and Xanax. This combo works best for me.

In the past, I was on Paxil, Busbar and Resperdone; STAY AWAY FROM THOSE.

Caez

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I think I need to up my dose of medication.

Cosmogram

In My Own League
Reaction score
Reactions
100,912 1,817 1,392
Alleybux
Also these meds mess with your xes drive. Well mine at least, didnt even wanna look at a dick.

You ain't lying at all. That's all it did was kill my libido. It was on a negative number on the richter scale of xes drive.

OP, it also gave me withdrawals. I was on suicide watch and wanted to kill myself. It was awful.

Cosmogram

In My Own League
Reaction score
Reactions
100,912 1,817 1,392
Alleybux
Be careful too with doctors, their new choice of drug for depression are Atypical Antipsychotics. Those are usually for people with serious case of BiPolar disorder and Schizophrenia that have psychotic episodes and they can really mess you up if you don't have neither.

Miss Orange

Clear quartz goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
133,145 6,844 1,191
Alleybux
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I suggest you look up the Ayurvedic diet for balancing.

The meds out today are dangerous and mess with your brain. Yes their are people that need them, but I suggest you avoid them if you can.

I was on them during my teen years and it took me a while to fully get rid of the side effects.

Depression can be cured from a healthy diet and proper rest, and surrounding yourself with good people. You'll never find a quicjk fix, but it's best to do it in a natural and healthy way. xo

00redsvt

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
411 1
Alleybux
I was prescribed a low dose antidepressant because it was supposed to also help with migraines. It didn't. It made me feel like a different person. I didn't care about anyone or anything. Whenever I noticed that not even my husband or kid wanted to be around me, I knew something was wrong. It took me a few months to get back to my "normal" self.

blanca2107

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,005 214 289
Alleybux
I take a very low dosage of Paxil for anxiety disorder.

When I first started, I could not orgasm to save my life, this made me incredibly angry....

Then, after about six weeks, I was BACK in the game!!!!

That's all I got.

/tried Prozac for the same thing but my dreams were weird and I was too jittery

crabbycancer72

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,244 304 25
Alleybux
I tried Paxil and Lexapro in the past. I gained weight on Paxil and stopped taking it. Lexapro made me sleepy. No Libido with either and mine is already low as it is.

May try Wellbrutin if I can get my Dr to give it to me.

BISH_IM_ME

So Serious
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,915 121 87
Alleybux
I took Celexa as well

and I got off of it within a week. It made me feel like a zombie. I told my Dr. I couldn't take them anymore, because it was actually making me feel even more worse and counterproductive (like I just laid in bed all day and I was nauseated).

I cut off the anti-depressants all together.

NoDream

Pick It Up Slow
Reaction score
Reactions
12,209 138 60
Alleybux
Im on prozac.
It makes me sorta emotionless.
Like I can't cry; even at funerals of loved ones.

On the other hand; I've been super sensitive and prone to cry about every dang thing my whole life; so maybe inability to cry isn't the end of the world.

I can't orgasm worth a damn though. It's disturbing.

Reaction score
Reactions
504 81 5
Alleybux
Lexapro 20mg and Wellbutrin 150mg... It works well, except for when I don't take it. Then I see and hear things. And my dreams become real to the point where I feel things happening.

Once I had a dream that I had a baby, and that the baby spit up on me, I could swear I felt the warm spit up on my chest.

I thought it was only me. I take lexapro and if I forget I feel everything in my dreams

ROOT

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
19,907 23 49
Alleybux
Antidepressants don't really work for the majority of people, they just think they do. Also, recently, too high a dose is thought to trigger suicide in teens.

The Culture

News Alley

Top Bottom