Quantcast

Extremely afraid of hell..

coppertop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,453 8,893 12,464
Alleybux
So I'm coming to terms with the fact I don't really fully believe in God right now, and never have. I've tried and even thought I was saved at one point but I guess I imagined it. I fear I don't have the capacity to truly believe in anything, right now I'm looking into spirituality and lean towards a different type of God/Source but I'm plagued by not having the answer and feeling like if I don't find the truth I'll end up in suffering. It keeps me up at night. Has anyone else gone through this?
I haven’t gone through that because I know that there is no hell....and spoiler alert...there is no heaven either, at least not in the way most people perceive it to be.

Femme Pop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,631 7,071 3,323
Alleybux
Not someone bumping this old ass thread that the op long since abandoned. Not yall talking about god and 'keeping the faith' in the atheist and agnostic forum... e2

SlootMadonna

Crackhead ho
Reaction score
Reactions
39,125 2,306 1,489
Alleybux
So I'm coming to terms with the fact I don't really fully believe in God right now, and never have. I've tried and even thought I was saved at one point but I guess I imagined it. I fear I don't have the capacity to truly believe in anything, right now I'm looking into spirituality and lean towards a different type of God/Source but I'm plagued by not having the answer and feeling like if I don't find the truth I'll end up in suffering. It keeps me up at night. Has anyone else gone through this?
Yes a boyfriend of mine didn't believe in God and wised me to it. I was really upset about it at the time. It's your entire life socially conditioned to believe in something and than you don't, takes some adjusting, but I truly believe I am closer to the truth now.

LucidDreams

Be Kind.
Reaction score
Reactions
69,046 4,342 3,794
Alleybux
I would suggest learning about sense of self and maybe understanding spirituality from a viewpoint of within rather than something external.

We all live in our paradigms that determine our belief systems to understand the world around us. But knowing your own spirit, soul, energy, life force outside of dogmas and indoctrines will help you feel more grounded. Just tuning into your own Being outside of the mind. What do you feel rather what you think about? Is the fear of hell something you have been trained to believe and is it keeping you from connecting with your spirit?

This is honestly a very relatable experience and no one has the answers. All anyone or any thing can do is point you in the direction of the truth but your soul or inner self, however you would like to phrase it, will speak its own truth to you. It also won’t be something that comes from the mind/thinking.

scott free

RIP Akira Toriyama
Reaction score
Reactions
25,585 1,400 2,785
Alleybux
Hell isn't biblical. There are a few popular Christian ministers who don't believe in hell or believe it is permanent. Its a creation by medieval white folks. You can fear it but you are just fearing like ghosts and witches and stuff.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,048 426 206
Alleybux
Not to get too OT, OP, what I don't understand is that there are different deities/gods/beliefs, yet the only common denominator is what hell is. How is that possible?

groove theory

i do not care.
Reaction score
Reactions
25,578 925 193
Alleybux
Really upset that I’m late to seeing this thread.

I had an English professor a few years ago who posed the same dilemma. He was agnostic. He asked, “What if I live my life the way I’m living it now, only to find out there is truth behind religion and I’m damned for eternity for failing to believe and follow its practices?”

He then spoke hypothetically and said he didn’t want to abide by a religion and all of it’s teachings, only to find out the fates (heaven and hell) we’ve learned about our entire lives were nonexistent.

Ever since, his skepticism made sense to me.

ifuseekmanny

bambi eyed b!tch
Reaction score
Reactions
29,948 861 227
Alleybux
baby i’m excited. my life has already been hell so eternal flames don’t seem that bad in comparison

Polite

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,724 321 20
Alleybux
I would love to think there is no hell, but there is a place for evil and its orgins
At some point evil will have to be dealt with bcus whats the point of ANY body doing good
If it doesnt matter
Someone shared a video with me some time ago. . It may be true, it may not
But it gives you something to think about

eta: I belive in Jesus as being The Only Begotten Son and Savior
However I have been mistreated a lot by many so called" church people

In fact in my time of of severe need, A atheist helped me, a gay person helped me and an recovering alcoholic helped me
So I get it
But we all have been blessed with the gift of freedom of choice
So we all can decide our path in life
Bcus the people in this world can be very messed up at times :(

Last edited:

Niki dockery

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,832 6,648 2,519
Alleybux
All men have a fear of dying/the end of their existence. It is built in the existence of men. Likewise, all men have a knowledge of The Most High God. It is likewise built in his consciousness. Read Romans 1 vs 18-end. This idea that all men believe in God is not Biblical. All men have a knowledge like I wrote, but not all men believe. "Even the devils believe."
Belief in God is not as simple as one thinks or as many pastors tell their church. It is God that causes one to believe in Him. "No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." The only people who will believe in God are those He draws. When God is drawing you, you will feel it. It is a persistent and unrelenting pull to seek Him. And you do that in His WORD. His WORD become desirous to you and begin to see and hear.
"So faith comes from hearing and hearing through the Word of God." "
And He said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”
"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God."
Although one can have an intellectual understanding of the WORD of God, if one does not have spiritual eyes-which come from God-one cannot see the WORDS.

"That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him:The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints."

The word Sheol in the WORD is also the word grave.

Last edited:

DreamBussy

Heaux Ho Hoe
Reaction score
Reactions
21,819 1,047 161
Alleybux
but my fear is that I'm wrong, and I'll go to hell. What if we're wrong? How do we deal with knowing that.

Don’t worry hun. If the word is right then every able minded adult will know that God is real before they pass. IMO that could happen after your physical body dies and you’re transitioning. But you’ll have time to “bow and confess”. If the word is bs then just live your life giving thanks to whatever may be out there be it a higher power, the universe, or just existence itself. I go to church but don’t believe a lot of what is taught. I’m content knowing that if I live my life as a good person nothing bad can happen to me spiritually when my time here is up. Just know religion is full of scare tactics. Christianity’s is Fire and brimstone. Look into the political history of it all and you’ll feel a little better.

sunburnt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,919 1,042 503
Alleybux
I went from having weak faith in Christianity. I was more afraid of God, avoidant, didn't read the Bible, but felt compelled to say I followed Christ without any idea of who he truly was because I didn't want to go to Hell. I wanted to have my cake and eat it too. I was miserable in the end and went through an intense battle with depression until I found interest in the New Age lifestyle. It felt like it worked for me for a while then gradually wore off. I thought it could fix the vacancy in my spirit, but it didn't. I was more miserable than ever.

Then one day, very recently actually, I felt something in my spirit say "Look At Me". Through no external provocation (not a family member, friend, youtube video, or advertisement), I found myself purchasing a Bible and began studying the actual Word of God. Now I have no doubts that Christ is the almighty one. He is nothing like I thought he was and has shown me the error in my ways after years of avoiding him. I assumed his word would be a belligerent, egotistical God that was quick to tell people they were going to hell. Boy, I was extremely, sorrowfully wrong. There is no reason to fear God (in a worldly sense) once you know his true word. In fact, you will embrace him because you've finally felt the love he has had for you all along.

Christ did not create religion or Christianity. I would suggest you purchasing a Bible for yourself and making space to learn the Word of God and develop an authentic relationship with him for yourself. He will not leave you nor forsake you. You won't fear hell because you'll be renewed and happily living for the only one that can save you from it.

roxithefox

Advocate
Reaction score
Reactions
8,052 280 36
Alleybux
Go to a Catholic or Christian church and tell them you want to be baptized and want to belong to a bible study group.

TheStandard

A Menace To South Central
Reaction score
Reactions
22,731 347 190
Alleybux
According to ancient texts/records, this planet/realm is the hell. Sheol they called it, which translates to hell. Then christianity used that to create a story about a separate place where you burn (an idea that was taken also from the fire pits they used to throw diseased bodies into in the middle ages.) They used this to scare people into obeying their laws and beliefs. We are already in the hell, which isn't really hell entirely b/c good things happen here as well. We're at the bottom of the tree of life and there's nowhere to go but up.

BrownSkyn22

I just came to dance...dassit.
Reaction score
Reactions
94,054 2,758 571
Alleybux
Here is my take. If you are only living your life to avoid hell or some negative punishment then you are doing it wrong.

I truly believe we should treat others how we want to be treated while recognizing that we make mistakes. If you are not purposely nasty to people or set out to hurt people or do harm you are already on a good path.

There are many religious mores that I think are just silly and really should be more about your capacity and ability to love and honor other people. I say that because I know some people have difficulty with living with significant others or having xes or kids outside of marriage. All I can say is do you. I am sure whatever higher power there may be they would be more pleased with a loving relationship and loving parents even if they never married than the whole lying cheating horrible parents that think they sh*t don't stink be cause they are married.

So my main point is to just strive to be a good person, treat others with respect, try to help people when you can. Too many people running around thinking pointing out everyone else's wrongs is going to make them look better.
I agree with you. For me, I've always heard that I must believe that Jesus died on the cross for me in order to get into heaven and that's what scares me. I don't believe a lot of what is said in the bible. I have so many questions that people I know can't seem to answer. And I've always been scared of going to hell because they said God knows your heart and whether you truly believe.

Chile I'm doomed if that's the case.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,575 153 36
Alleybux
I worry about it too. I do believe in God and I do believe in the Devil; Therefore heaven and hell. My mom always says Jesus will return soon and the rapture will happen soon. I pray, but I still doubt and I still sin.
It does give me anxiety sometimes. I just hope because I have a good heart and don’t ever go out of my way to hurt others I’ll be okay

MZJazzmine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,779 243 206
Alleybux
It sounds like to me that you haven't really known God for yourself. It seems like you've basically been living off of the faith of others around you. It's hard to trust someone you don't really know. God, Jesus, & the Holy Spirit (the Godhead) are real but you need to know them for yourself. Jesus really is the way, the truth, and the life and there is no other way to God except through Christ. The problem is that you have A LOT of people who have a "god" of their own making and they are deceived.

This isn't about "religion". This is about relationship with the God who created you and whose image you're made in. It's okay to doubt but it's even better to doubt and seek Him. That happens when you talk to Him and tell Him what's in your heart and read His Word. God loves you and He will talk to you. He will answer you. When you have some time read Psalm 139. There's nothing about you that God can't handle, so you can tell Him anything.

When you really get to know God through His Son Jesus Christ and get filled with the Holy Spirit, the fear will go away but it's in knowing Him...

dreams2020

"love is an invitation to madness..i love the mad"
Reaction score
Reactions
47,130 2,882 1,897
Alleybux
to many unbelievers around here to get a real answer

peace

mithras

facts not feelings
Reaction score
Reactions
78,938 4,760 3,693
Alleybux
there is no hell. nor heaven. there is only that which exists in ur mind. stop worrying just float. ur maker will protect you, as he protects me as she protects all of us

Last edited:

FruitCake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,308 964 335
Alleybux
I use to feel this way. And then I got over it. I’m a good person, live a good life, take care of those I can take care of. If me not believing in a god is enough reason for me to go to hell, then I accept that, if by some so miracle any of this heaven/hell mess is real. I refuse to be scared into believing nonsense. And quite frankly if god does exists and is anything like the Bible portrays, I’d rather be in hell.
Same here. I don't like saying that "I'm a good person" because it feels like bragging or whatever. But from what I've observed I have better morals than most Christians I've met and been raised around. If God wants to kill me simply for not believing in him (even though he refuses to talk to us because supposedly our ancestors bruised his ego by eating a fruit) then so be it.

Tenderoni3

The Very Best
Reaction score
Reactions
2,506 145 300
Alleybux
I'm in your exact same situation, but I'm not afraid of hell anymore thankfully it gets better.

Sweetpea43

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,133 85 13
Alleybux
OP I want to encourage you but I don't think I have the right words to say :heart: . Living in fear ain't it; it's torment. I'll leave you with this scripture that helped me when I had this same fear: 1 John 4:18.

lacefontwig

Forever rich and divinely protected
Reaction score
Reactions
29,104 1,143 301
Alleybux
but my fear is that I'm wrong, and I'll go to hell. What if we're wrong? How do we deal with knowing that.
As you should. It's a real place and it's located inside the earth.

I wanna go there

tenor.gif

HailBender

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,616 2,556 11
Alleybux
when i was real young i thought like this, but i started to realize how many religions are out there and they all believe theirs is the right one when in reality, no one really knows. if god is real, he/she is going to be more concerned about the murderers and rapists, and if god is loving and understanding (like most religions say he/she is) i really don't think he/she is going to damn you to hell for not going to church every sunday or not praising them or believing because i doubt god would be that egotistic. just try to be a good person, we all make mistakes, we are all sinners. if you constantly worry about hell, you'll never fully enjoy the life you have now. I know it sounds silly, but i like to believe that when you die your afterlife is what you want to make it, you can go to the places you couldn't go when you were alive, see the people you want to see.

Blessedhope

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
588 14 26
Alleybux
So I'm coming to terms with the fact I don't really fully believe in God right now, and never have. I've tried and even thought I was saved at one point but I guess I imagined it. I fear I don't have the capacity to truly believe in anything, right now I'm looking into spirituality and lean towards a different type of God/Source but I'm plagued by not having the answer and feeling like if I don't find the truth I'll end up in suffering. It keeps me up at night. Has anyone else gone through

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16 kjv

Jesus died for your sins and my sins. He is the gift to the world. But its on you to recieve it.

I'm not talking about being religious now. But having a relationship with Him.

Accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior is accepting the gift of eternal salvation (meaning no hell but eternity with God).

Dont take my word for it. Ask God if He is real to reveal himself to you, ask Jesus to show you he's real.

Study and read the kjv bible. God speaks through His word.

We are all sinners, we have all fallen short. Jesus lived a perfect life to be sacrificed for the remission of our sins.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." ... "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." 1 John 4:10, KJV.

God loves you.

Last edited:

Cryeisha

The High Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
166,815 21,298 10,690
Alleybux
I don’t push my religion on people who aren’t in the religion. I believe in God very strongly but I had weaker moments, what made me believe is really a combination of life events and myself in prayer.

Blessedhope

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
588 14 26
Alleybux
I worry about it too. I do believe in God and I do believe in the Devil; Therefore heaven and hell. My mom always says Jesus will return soon and the rapture will happen soon. I pray, but I still doubt and I still sin.
It does give me anxiety sometimes. I just hope because I have a good heart and don’t ever go out of my way to hurt others I’ll be okay
Your mother is correct. Jesus will come back. The church (believers) will be taken out of this world then real dark times will follow here on earth.

Are you saved?
1 Corinthians 15 1-4kjv

You may find the link below helpful.

God loves you. Accept his son today. The Lord Jesus Christ.

John 3:16

It's not about being religious now it's about a relationship with Jesus.

wonderstar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,794 1,941 1,504
Alleybux
Some posts seem very simplistic/nonchalant about Ops concern. It’s not easy to switch off something that has been engrained in you since childhood. It’s conditioning and can be deeply damaging to the psyche and breaking away from it is uncomfortable (cognitive dissonance if you will). Op, I’m someone who has also left religion but still believes in a higher power/spirituality. My fear of hell/the after life has lessened over time. I hardly think about it now. Although I do have the occasional what ifs. I think you will be okay with time.

Also check out a YouTube channel called Theramin Trees. I think you will like it x

bullish af

Well-Groaned Member
Reaction score
Reactions
393,341 11,588 7,232
Alleybux
Fear of hell is a control device. It is how you create docile followers out of the poor masses and look, it’s worked. Do you think those who control all of our wealth and resources have a fear of Heaven and Hell? That’s why they make the decisions they do and sleep very well at night, generation after generation living in comfort. They’re dangling a participation trophy into Heaven for people like you. It’s hope to the hopeless, just like a dead person coming back for a “rapture”...really? He should’ve showed up a long ass time ago because Earth has been a D- for centuries. Do not live your life in fear of what happens after death because your eyes are not open to what’s in front of you. When I was in Sunday School then the general congregation it was taxing on my mental health because it never made sense to me. I have seldom met a person who claimed to fear God or hell and then made their life decisions actually align with that. Probably because deep down they know it’s a sham.

Enjoy your extremely short time on this planet. And if there is a hell, why in the world would it be so easy to get there if you’re a person who does what’s right? The purpose is to give your loyalty to an institution that coddles those among us who behave badly, while telling good people who don’t believe that they’re going to hell. Pretty sure the Pope finally said that’s a lie. It also seems like a lot of people use prayer when it’s really just self therapy, needing to find their strength outside of themselves, needing an answer because the truth is too much to bare. Your own knowledge and conscience should guide you. You have to live in control of your life and let the cards fall.

KayKaySlay

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,922 21 15
Alleybux
This is just my opinion and view. I believe in God and that we are here for a reason. Everything did not get created out of nowhere, without a purpose. And I believe that purpose is to go through a test in this life. How are you going to live your life and how will you do that while giving God a role in it (following his commands). There is the good and the bad and we have a free will to choose what we follow. The bad in the world comes from the people not God. Things like wars, slavery, colonization, murder, rape etc. It’s all choices of people that chose the bad and misused religion or politics to get their gain. And they will get judged and punished for that.

I just wish that a lot of people would stop judging religions on their believers. A lot of people left their faith because they saw people of their faith doing really bad stuff. But that is because those people chose the bad and are misusing religion.

I am Muslim and I just believe that we all have a natural source in us that believes. But we get distracted by this temporary world and false spreading information that was made to steer people away from religion/faith. But deep down, we know.

Also what I wanted to add. God is forgiving, as long as you turn to him. In my religion it states that God created the mother with compassion and forgiveness. You see how a mother can forgive her children for what they do and try to protect them from the bad. In Islam it says that God instilled 1% of his compassion in the mother. So imagine how forgiving he is.

Last edited:

Zamira

Armchair General
Reaction score
Reactions
7,505 366 326
Alleybux
We get our hell here on earth a lot of the time.
The hell you are probably imagining with souls suffering forever in an underground furnace is a concept dreamed up by man.
I personally don't believe in a god and heaven anymore, but l think we all have a soul or spirit. l think our spirit is our individual personality and the good or bad vibes we spread during our lifetimes by our actions towards others around us. If we are a good kind person then our spirit lives on in those memories people have of us after we are gone.
And when we are gone l think it will be like before we were ever born, we'll return to the earth as if in a deep sleep. Back to nature, ashes to ashes and all that.