Quantcast

Extremely afraid of hell..

jazzyjazzjaz

If I'm here I got time
Reaction score
Reactions
2,730 193 364
Alleybux
So I'm coming to terms with the fact I don't really fully believe in God right now, and never have. I've tried and even thought I was saved at one point but I guess I imagined it. I fear I don't have the capacity to truly believe in anything, right now I'm looking into spirituality and lean towards a different type of God/Source but I'm plagued by not having the answer and feeling like if I don't find the truth I'll end up in suffering. It keeps me up at night. Has anyone else gone through this?

Femme Pop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,631 7,071 3,323
Alleybux
Don't be afraid of "hell" or "eternal damnation" sis...just like heaven and god, none of it is real.

I'm not quite sure exactly what I believe in either, but the concept of souls spending an eternity in agony is just not realistic.

Eta: How do you turn off alerts? This thread is old as hell, lol...no pun intended.

Last edited:

Femme Pop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,631 7,071 3,323
Alleybux
I edited and added more to the comment before you replied, but before I add to that, did you believe in the christian version of god?

Otto Rocket

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
4,246 284 254
Alleybux
So I'm coming to terms with the fact I don't really fully believe in God right now, and never have. I've tried and even thought I was saved at one point but I guess I imagined it. I fear I don't have the capacity to truly believe in anything, right now I'm looking into spirituality and lean towards a different type of God/Source but I'm plagued by not having the answer and feeling like if I don't find the truth I'll end up in suffering. It keeps me up at night. Has anyone else gone through this?
OP you really feel guilty about not believing in a 'god' that was forced on your ancestors?

Just do you OP. Live your life. You feeling guilty is a main recruiting tactic by Christians.

jazzyjazzjaz

If I'm here I got time
Reaction score
Reactions
2,730 193 364
Alleybux
I edited and added more to the comment before you replied, but before I add to that, did you believe in the christian version of god?
I never believed really but I grew up in a Christian household yes. Not super Christian but when we did go to church it was always a Christian one. so that's the version of God I wrestle with

Reaction score
Reactions
5,484 204 138
Alleybux
If you believe in hell to the point of fear, you subconsciously believe in a higher power otherwise judgement wouldn’t be something to concern yourself with.

jazzyjazzjaz

If I'm here I got time
Reaction score
Reactions
2,730 193 364
Alleybux
OP you really feel guilty about not believing in a 'god' that was forced on your ancestors?

Just do you OP. Live your life. You feeling guilty is a main recruiting tactic by Christians.
I don't feel guilty about it, I'm just scared if I'm wrong I'll go to hell. I'm just such a scientific-minded person and I find it so hard to believe in the supernatural. So I feel like nothing would get me to believe except having a supernatural experience. And I've heard firsthand of people having those experiences, or like in the case of my boyfriend, having premonition dreams- which has led me to keep searching for answers but in other forms of spirituality/religion. I don't get it. Hearing my boyfriend's testimony especially as well as his dreams that end up coming true and him being a believer is what gets me. Plus all the other people in the world who have had these experiences.

luckygirl93

Caramel Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
407,596 21,357 16,210
Alleybux
It’s normal to question your beliefs. Because none of us 100% know if anything is real( I say this as a someone who believes in the Christian faith). But the fact that you are scared of hell says that you do believe in god, the devil, heaven and hell.

Last edited:

jazzyjazzjaz

If I'm here I got time
Reaction score
Reactions
2,730 193 364
Alleybux
If you believe in hell to the point of fear, you subconsciously believe in a higher power otherwise judgement wouldn’t be something to concern yourself with.
Breaking away from how you were raised to believe is not easy. I don't believe fully if at all. I just know it's possible God is real.

jazzyjazzjaz

If I'm here I got time
Reaction score
Reactions
2,730 193 364
Alleybux
It’s normal to question your beliefs. Because none of us 100% know if anything is real( I say this as a someone who believes in the Christian faith). But the fact that you are scared of hell says that you do believe in god, the devil, heaven and hell. You sh
I'm sorry but it doesn't. I'm operating on the possibility.

Otto Rocket

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
4,246 284 254
Alleybux
O
I don't feel guilty about it, I'm just scared if I'm wrong I'll go to hell. I'm just such a scientific-minded person and I find it so hard to believe in the supernatural. So I feel like nothing would get me to believe except having a supernatural experience. And I've heard firsthand of people having those experiences, or like in the case of my boyfriend, having premonition dreams- which has led me to keep searching for answers but in other forms of spirituality/religion. I don't get it. Hearing my boyfriend's testimony especially as well as his dreams that end up coming true and him being a believer is what gets me. Plus all the other people in the world who have had these experiences.
OP again. Scaring people into going to hell is another Christian recruitment tactic. Don't buy it.

How come the people who had no problem with colonisation, CASUAL RAPE, abduction, slavery, pedophilia, murder and genocide are preaching to others about going to hell.

If yt people the ones who forced Christianity onto black people aren't afraid of going to hell why should you?

Who would take a priest serious who obviously by looking at his actions doesn't believe in Christianity and God itself?

Femme Pop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,631 7,071 3,323
Alleybux
I'm agnostic/more atheist leaning now but was raised christian too, in a fanatical household...because of that I'd like to believe that if there is some greater being that created us that they just wouldn't be that cruel.

Honestly that's where my belief fell apart, since the bible always spoke of god being angry, vengeful and judgmental and letting satan run amok and allow all kinds of evil just to prove a fµck!ng point.

No one should have to believe in or serve some higher power out of fear, feel me? It should be because we want to, not because we are afraid of burning forever in an afterlife.

So basically you can choose to believe in that and live your life in a perpetual state of fear over "hell," or try to make the best of this life in the here and now.

Femme Pop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,631 7,071 3,323
Alleybux
Other people in this thread have already pointed out all the fµcked up stuff the christian version of god allows...is that who you really want to believe in?

It broke my heart at the time but I just couldn't do it anymore. I'm at peace with it now though, it just took some time. If you let it go you will be okay too.

Matheo455

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
187,246 6,128 3,803
Alleybux

how specific do you want me to get.

SolBeat..

Half this site is npc
Reaction score
Reactions
23,653 1,536 1,565
Alleybux
Every religion has a story for the after life...soooo....why you worried about something you can't control..? If you ain't out here murdering, robbing, and fµck!ng ppl over...why you in fear of your supposed judgement after you die...?

ShowMeDaWay

System.out.println("Go to work");
Reaction score
Reactions
28,284 641 367
Alleybux
A place like hell if anything would make me more defiant if i believed in it. The fact that you go to hell if you dont blindly follow a belief system sounds wrong especially when one is born with free will.

However part of me does sorta believe in some version of reincarnation. Energy is converted, never created nor destroyed. I wonder if something similar goes for living organisms as well. It's an interesting thought.

Last edited:

BaeCole

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
273,152 6,668 6,001
Alleybux
I use to feel this way. And then I got over it. I’m a good person, live a good life, take care of those I can take care of. If me not believing in a god is enough reason for me to go to hell, then I accept that, if by some so miracle any of this heaven/hell mess is real. I refuse to be scared into believing nonsense. And quite frankly if god does exists and is anything like the Bible portrays, I’d rather be in hell.

pinkflower89

Some of you don't read and it shows.
Reaction score
Reactions
34,776 761 292
Alleybux
you don’t think you living in hell already
Right? Death is the real blessing out of all of this lol.

But to answer OP's question. Living the rest of your natural life in fear over a place that may or may not be real is kind of pointless.

When I first started questioning my religion, I also had that fear. Yet eventually it disappeared over time. The more I learned about the world, the less I started to care about my supposed afterlife.

greatnana

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,077 2,279 302
Alleybux

OP I feel you, I struggle with this too. I am leaning towards being agnostic. But it terrifies me that I could be wrong and end up in "hell".

Acrylics

M I S E R A B L E
Reaction score
Reactions
30,292 770 425
Alleybux
I’m a spiritual/religious person and I don’t even really believe in “hell” like that. I do think there is karma and cosmic justice and if you are not punished for being a vile person in this life you will be in the next. I don’t think being atheist or agnostic makes you a bad person by default though, it’s your actions and morals. So I say this to say, I wouldn’t worry. If you are a good person what you believe in really shouldn’t matter. All that extra “oh even if you’re a good person, if you don’t sign fine print (i.e. adhere to whatever religion/dogma) you’re damned” b.s. is such a scare and control tactic.

CharlaBih

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,884 1,202 281
Alleybux
If you believe your going to hell then you will end up there
247.gif

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Look at this way, no one really knows what was in the original Bible. So no one really knows what wil actually send you to hell or if it even exists. There is so much back and forth on the topic of hell that literally anything can be the truth.

I believe in god but the god I believe in is just and believes in doing the right thing. Jesus died for your sins so as long as you make amends with your decisions then you will be in heaven.

you’re not gonna go to hell OP. Trust me.

1soluvly

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
43,998 1,503 1,152
Alleybux
Here is my take. If you are only living your life to avoid hell or some negative punishment then you are doing it wrong.

I truly believe we should treat others how we want to be treated while recognizing that we make mistakes. If you are not purposely nasty to people or set out to hurt people or do harm you are already on a good path.

There are many religious mores that I think are just silly and really should be more about your capacity and ability to love and honor other people. I say that because I know some people have difficulty with living with significant others or having xes or kids outside of marriage. All I can say is do you. I am sure whatever higher power there may be they would be more pleased with a loving relationship and loving parents even if they never married than the whole lying cheating horrible parents that think they sh*t don't stink be cause they are married.

So my main point is to just strive to be a good person, treat others with respect, try to help people when you can. Too many people running around thinking pointing out everyone else's wrongs is going to make them look better.

DemiLovato

Sorry, not sorry.
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
159,229 5,474 3,412
Alleybux
The good news is: Whatever you believe is what's real TO YOU.

You will live your life and base your choices and decisions on what you believe.

Enjoy!

LilNugget

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,512 17 6
Alleybux
you could try asking God to show himself to you. you may wind up having one of those experiences too, and in the meantime you can feel at ease knowing you tried your best to find him.

MuffyCrosswire

Seulgi ❤️
Reaction score
Reactions
507,018 16,852 5,391
Alleybux
There is no such thing as hell and we will all get another chance to know God during the Resurrection. Just chill and try to live how God wants you to live.

magicbeens

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,466 95 19
Alleybux
*hugs* try not worry too much! just live a good life and be kind. <3 hope you feel better op

edit: oop didn't see this was the atheist/agnostic forum but my advice still stands.

shoe_gasm

Sitting pretty on Park Lane
Reaction score
Reactions
17,455 1,472 694
Alleybux
I know god is real.

but if you unsure...when it’s your time to know he will show you.

don’t live in fear.

Original

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,431 2,936 3,792
Alleybux
The feeling of emptiness and anger are trials, you being afraid of punishment means you do believe in God

Complexe

D I V A
Reaction score
Reactions
16,208 1,122 869
Alleybux
This clearly shows you believe in God because you wouldn’t fear hell if you don’t.
We all are sinners and the fear it’s absolutely normal, no one knows what will happen after life and everybody will be judged at the end. God exists honey and the devil and demons as well.
There’s nothing bad about doubting but questioning if the Creator is real or not for our own bad actions it sounds selfish.

Last edited:

12Solace

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,601 4,416 524
Alleybux
The word in and of itself is a mistranslation, OP. It was the King James Version, if I’m remembering correctly, that conflated several terms.

Last edited:

chocolateTy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
291,264 7,673 6,914
Alleybux
Hell is terrifying to me, and to know that there's different parts devoted to various sorts of people and spirits is both fascinating and sad, but that place was never meant for us. And don't get me started on the lake of fire. I believe that God gives humans so many chances to not go, including while standing at the Great White Throne.

What keeps me up some nights are the looks of his creatures, beasts, and spirits. I think about them more than anything, because they scare me. I can't imagine something with four faces and full of eyes. I kept dreaming that a Seraph kept opening his wings to reveal the head of a serpent. That kept me from sleeping soundly for 2 weeks.

the cask

auf bfb
Reaction score
Reactions
923 64 58
Alleybux
but my fear is that I'm wrong, and I'll go to hell. What if we're wrong? How do we deal with knowing that.
Sanity and freedom is accepting that you don't know. You don't know that God is real. You don't know that God isn't real. I 'believe' in God cuz I need that entertainment/psychological crutch and thats okay. Dogmatic thinking just turns your brain to mush and will have you dancing around a golden graven image of trump at cpac. Acquaint yourself with a variety of psychological philosophical and spiritual texts and take it from there. You'll know at the very least that a God you can respect has to be bigger and better than Trump.

Observe

Hit da Gas, and be outti 5 on dey azz
Reaction score
Reactions
22,288 7,222 4,795
Alleybux
If you’re not religious and you’re thinking about it, it’s a good thing. You’re willing to let the eternal flame cleanse you. I’m an atheist who studies esotericism who’s scared of hell. But I know I have feel the fire in the serpents stomach to pass through the gate.