Quantcast

Family returns from holiday to find pet sitter forgot to feed the animals: 1 dead & others emaciated

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
658,935 274,434 8,221
Alleybux
Family is left sickened after returning from holiday to find their beloved rabbit DEAD and other animals emaciated because the pet sitter FORGOT about them
  • Angie Bunce-Mason and her two children went on a two-week holiday to Devon
  • Family hired Essex Pet Services to look after their two bunnies Doug and Gertie
  • When they returned they were greeted with the smell of a decomposing rabbit
  • Essex Pet Services said: 'This was a tragic mistake' and complied with the RSPCA
A family were horrified to come back from holiday to find their rabbit decomposing and two other pets emaciated after an animal-sitting service 'forgot' to feed them.

Angie Bunce-Mason and husband Adam hired Essex Pet Services to look after their two bunnies Doug and Gertie, and parrot Monty while they were away with their two kids.

But they were horrified when they got back from their two-week break in Devon to find Gertie dead and covered in maggots, and the other two creatures emaciated.

10378460-6753285-image-a-5_1551303041150.jpg

Angie Bunce-Mason and husband Adam hired Essex Pet Services to look after their two bunnies Doug and Gertie, and parrot Monty while they were away with their two kids

Mrs Bunce-Mason, from Essex said: 'I'd used the service for years so the guy there had our house keys anyway.

'I trusted them, and off I go on my holiday. We were in a rural part in Devon, with no wi-fi but I had my parents down as emergency contacts.

'When we came home we were greeted with the most awful smell - my husband is a police officer and I'm a nurse so we knew exactly what the smell was.

'Gertie was dead and covered in maggots, and it was the second cycle of maggots so they must have been there within seven days or so.

'Our pets are a major part of our family - it was just sickening. Our parrot, who is usually in immaculate condition, was all skinny and not right.

'His feathers looked bad and he was very quiet, which is not like him at all.

10378462-6753285-image-a-1_1551303014811.jpg

But they were horrified when they got back from their two-week break in Devon to find Gertie dead and covered in maggots, and the other two creatures emaciated

'The fresh vegetables we had left on the side for the rabbits were still there, all rotten. It really was awful.

'After a good cry, we sent [the company] a text, saying 'I hope the animals are okay?' and he texted back saying 'everything's fine'.

'Next thing you know I saw his van pull up outside; he obviously didn't realise we were home from our holiday.'

The family has since received a £50 voucher for Pets at Home and a card apologising from the company, based in Westcliff.

Mrs Bunce-Mason added: 'I couldn't believe it. It's like blood money. He made a huge mistake, and I don't want anything to do with him.

'I don't want money, I just don't want this to happen to anyone else.'

She said the surviving pets were now back to full health.

The deaths happened in August last year but the family have come forward after learning an RSPCA investigation into the incident has now been closed.

Mrs Bunce-Mason added: 'The animals that did survive are fine now but we don't know what emotional scars they've got.

'Every time we leave, are they going to be scared thinking we're not coming back?'

10378458-6753285-image-a-8_1551303068494.jpg

Pet rabbit Gertie (pictured) was found dead, while fellow rabbit, Doug, and parrot, Monty, were at death’s door

A spokesman for the RSPCA said: 'We truly understand the heartache that the family must have gone through as a result of this incident.

'The owner of the pet service was extremely remorseful and fully cooperated with the investigation.

'Even if a matter is serious, it is not always appropriate to take a prosecution.'

Essex Pet Services said: 'This was a tragic mistake and I will never ever forgive myself for this.

'I have had meetings with the RSPCA and going forward we have a clear plan regarding text messages for bookings, and bookings more than three days needing to be emailed to this business.

'I am truly sorry for all the pain and upset that I have caused. It wasn't intentional.'

Family is left sickened after returning from holiday to find their beloved rabbit dead | Daily Mail Online

Surreal

⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
241,892 7,370 6,304
Alleybux
I'd be so fµck!ng pissed man, fµck their apologies and vouchers. They'd be getting sued. Is that company like uber or something and just hire any got damn body off the street to look after people's pets? Do they not even check and ask for verification that all is well? Mistake my ass. Whoever they got to do the job intentionally didn't feed those animals and then when asked about it, pretended everything was okay. :emoji_rage:

QUEENSNY

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
137,573 8,198 216
Alleybux
I would’ve beat that ass. Got bailed out came back beat that ass again. My baby is precious she’s avi

FortunaPlus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,529 10,248 4,921
Alleybux
Wow. So the liaison got the text abs just told them no problem then ran over to their house. How did the feeder forget to come for a whole two weeks??

thamani

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,559 788 397
Alleybux
I could see a day or two... but two weeks? Nope. They might as well prepare for a lawsuit. A $50 voucher isn’t worth my pet’s life.

Last edited:

mimiz

♡ Shoulda never called me a fatass Kelly Price ♡
Reaction score
Reactions
34,999 857 150
Alleybux
The gall for him to text back 'everything's fine' then pull up! And then the £50 voucher like homeboy didn't just kill their pet

LolaMoon

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
123,034 1,533 797
Alleybux
That's why when I leave town I leave my babies at the "Luxury Cat Nap Inn."

Yup. You heard that right. LUXURY!! A Hotel (not a Motel) for Cats.

I already know my babies will be stressed not being home, but I've been with that company for 24-years (started with my first baby, Nece who died at 19-years-old :cry:) and I trust them.

I can bring whatever I want from home to make them as comfortable as possible and they play with them and don't leave them in cages. They get their own room and they can stay together.

I would never trust anyone I don't know with them. I would never hire a service to come into my home while I am not there either.

They need to sue the hell out of them and they should be charged with animal cruelty. To let an innocent animal to starve to death is torture. And to know that two more animals were not fed in two weeks and survived? My heart hurts.

Omniscience

Gossamer Corda
Reaction score
Reactions
36,077 322 130
Alleybux
The pet sitter didn't forget to feed those animals, they just didn't care and allowed this to happen.

BumbleCee

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,523 163 151
Alleybux
I shouldn't have read this. I would kill someone. This is why I'm afraid to leave my dogs with anyone I don't know.

blinditems

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,470 577 179
Alleybux
OP, change the title from Forgot to DID NOT. HUGE difference between these words as the company had indifference towards this family.

My little girl is an animal rescuer and future vet and something like this would destroy her.

Prayers to that family and their babies to heal seeing that level of cruelty and costing them a ton in vet bills and recovery care.

NOEFinest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
176,578 6,088 3,406
Alleybux
That's why when I leave town I leave my babies at the "Luxury Cat Nap Inn."

Yup. You heard that right. LUXURY!! A Hotel (not a Motel) for Cats.

I already know my babies will be stressed not being home, but I've been with that company for 24-years (started with my first baby, Nece who died at 19-years-old :cry:) and I trust them.

I can bring whatever I want from home to make them as comfortable as possible and they play with them and don't leave them in cages. They get their own room and they can stay together.

I would never trust anyone I don't know with them. I would never hire a service to come into my home while I am not there either.

They need to sue the hell out of them and they should be charged with animal cruelty. To let an innocent animal to starve to death is torture. And to know that two more animals were not fed in two weeks and survived? My heart hurts.
Pets have died at those things too. Owner wants answers after dog dies in pet hotel's care

Dog owner says Williamsburg pet hotel is responsible for his dog’s death

I was loooking for the article but I got things to do. One company buried/cremated(?) the dog before the family got home and didn’t tell them their dog died until they came to pick them up

Tennessee Slim

Meow meow.. Get yo own sh!t... Joi!!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
152,732 7,163 2,219
Alleybux
This is my worst fear!!!!!!!!! I should not have read this cause I have bunnies. We would be fighting literally.

SoSo_Cali

Soul Rebel
Reaction score
Reactions
22,860 470 134
Alleybux
^^^ Same. Only my husband or MY mom. No one else.
I could never forgive an accident happening to him under someone else’s care.

Also idk how the family wasn’t checking in with the service just to be sure. I’m a helicopter pet parent...

Maddieandme

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
98,175 3,237 2,058
Alleybux
They didn’t text their company their entire trip? Whenever I travel I always text around day 3, if they haven’t already reached out.

Pearl Shay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,326 3,565 714
Alleybux
This is why a lot of people, no matter how much they trust a person, ask that they send photos. We do this naturally, send cute pics of the pets or even children we're keeping, so the person knows all is well. I'd especially do this because I heard another story, might have been talked about here, where a 'friend' was supposed to feed and take care of someone's cat for a week. The friend lied about visiting the house. The cat was in such bad condition from no food or water (after the first dried up or was knocked over), that they had to be put to sleep. I'd literally have to send my 'friend' along behind them.

If people are going to leave, require photos whenever they're supposedly there, pick someone who is also a pet lover who wouldn't let harm come to them on g.p., or someone you trust implicitly. Either that, or save up and leave them at a good facility or Petsmart hotel type places that let you view them on cam when you log in, so you can see their condition and how they're being taken care of. I feel so bad for this family!

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,852 2,048 2,097
Alleybux
They didn’t text their company their entire trip? Whenever I travel I always text around day 3, if they haven’t already reached out.

Exactly. I no longer use home sitters but rather take my cats to a luxury boarding facility but in both cases, I call every other day and I require a photo to be taken daily as proof of life. I’ve heard too many of these horror stories. I also have a close friend drop by and check on them unannounced.

anaisnin

Semi-Retired, Still Messy
Reaction score
Reactions
259,463 4,843 1,260
Alleybux
Are you fµck!ng kidding me?! It’s not appropriate for a prosecution? He shouldn’t even be in business anymore! WTF??)??

GottaSlayABit

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,748 441 102
Alleybux
The only way their response could be worse was a coupon for future services. I can’t believe he had the nerve to drop in a week late after telling the family all was well

BumbleCee

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,523 163 151
Alleybux
I'm still angry about this. I only trust two people to care for my dogs and one is my dad. The other is friend. They're both out of town for the holidays so I'm staying my ass home.