Quantcast

favorite/least favorite wedding trends?

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,289 4,293 646
Alleybux
I love weddings! Of all the life events (funeral, baby shower, birthday etc.) I'm most down to go to a wedding. What are your favorite and least favorite things about weddings or trends?

Like:
-A nice meal
-Getting dressed up
-Seeing friends/family happy

Dislike:
-Stupid registry items. I ain't buying you no diamond-encrusted forks.
-Destination weddings. If your goal is for nobody to come then knock yourself out. But, don't have an exotic $4000/person wedding then hem & haw when no one comes. And you want a present on top of that? That's a lot to ask of people.

chelley

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,837 1,266 1,292
Alleybux
Overly xesual dances by the groom when he's removing the garter. It's so cringey.

Coordinated bride and bridesmaid dances

Excessive speeches that kill the vibe of the reception.

We're here to dance and get shitfaced, put the music back on!!

rayaee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
177,473 2,518 1,111
Alleybux
FYI: We got a wedding forum now guys!!
As for the question:

Dislike:
- the retrieval of the garter from the bride
- the lack of menu notifications, like we coming to party & be merry so what do you intend to feed us. The last wedding I went to had a lackluster menu filled with finger foods... guess their entire budget went to the liquor bar for guests

Like:
- nice wedding decor
- seeing a happy couple

StarryNight

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688 30 3
Alleybux
I hate dinners at wedding. Time consuming, costly, can’t guarantee seating.

I also hate waiting for the bridal party to finish the wedding photos.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
Drinking
Dancing
Having the ceremony/reception in the same building/place

Dislikes:
The wedding photobooth areas w/the props and signs— really outdated and too many people have worn that idea out.

A billion bridesmaids and groomsmen. Do you really need every friend you met in the last five years that prob don’t even like you to be a part of ya big day? Save it for only those that are genuinely happy and supportive/close to you.

Tossing the bouquet and the garter belt— feels super old school and seen it time and time again.

Ditto on the speeches, everyone doesn’t have to talk, just delegate two people maybe the best man and the maid of honor to give a speech and that’s it. Having extra people speak when they may say something cringeworthy is not the deal, especially if they been drinking—I’ve seen it happen lol.

The coordinated dances are a no go too as well as the Wobble, Cha Cha slide part 1-4 or however many that had, Cupid shuffle.. only exception is of course the OG Electric Slide, that will never get old.

Oh and stupid useless party favors.. I hate the photo button pins that I will never wear, the masks I will never wear after the wedding, small ass candles I will never light up lol. lil bottles of sand I will just toss. Gimme something good to remember that I won’t toss out the next day

Last edited:

90sMelaninbae

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,937 965 32
Alleybux
Op are you me, I love weddings so much I wanted to become a wedding planner.

I hate those tacky borderline strip dances the bride or groom does while one is sitting in the chair.
I hate long drawn out vows. Just say I do and go.
Animals at weddings.
When the brides wear sneakers with wedding gowns.

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,289 4,293 646
Alleybux
Ditto on the speeches, everyone doesn’t have to talk, just delegate two people maybe the best man and the maid of honor to give a speech and that’s it. Having extra people speak when they may say something cringeworthy is not the deal, especially if they been drinking—I’ve seen it happen lol.
Lawdddd....I really be sitting there staring at the cake. Everybody is not a public speaker and that is okay.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
Op are you me, I love weddings so much I wanted to become a wedding planner.

I hate those tacky borderline strip dances the bride or groom does while one is sitting in the chair.
I hate long drawn out vows. Just say I do and go.
Animals at weddings.
When the brides wear sneakers with wedding gowns.
Aww I think the custom wedding sneakers are cute ! Especially since you won’t really see them depending on what kind of dress the bride is wearing. I hate wearing heels for a long period of time. I will def opt for some nice flats or sneakers though! The way my feet are set up.. Lol

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,289 4,293 646
Alleybux
I forgot: I also don't like when brides don't take their bridesmaids' body shapes into account. Strapless is not for everyone. Satin is not for everyone. Ruching is not for everyone. I totally understand wanting everyone to look the same but don't make your friends pay $300 for a dress they can never wear again.

Looking like Bridezilla and the Pipettes. I think they had that dress on the clearance rack at my dance studio in the 90s.
1618630195406.png

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
Lawdddd....I really be sitting there staring at the cake. Everybody is not a public speaker and that is okay.
Tell me about it. I once went to a friends wedding and the brides’ brother started off his speech, saying “Even though we don’t know you that well *Groom’s Name*, we welcome you to the fam! You better be good to my sister or else!” I’m like wtf?? You could have kept that ish to yourself...and just say congrats to the couple, or say I’m happy for y’all..everyone doesn’t need to know the family never really met this man, the groom was from a foreign country... and that marriage clearly didn’t last long.

Oh and that brings up another trend I’m tired of— ppl having these expensive, overboard, over the top huge weddings only to get divorced 1-5 years later, smh.... what’s the point? to show off for other ppl I guess..I was contemplating asking for my bridal and wedding gifts back from a co worker who got married and then got divorced after her honeymoon THREE months after the huge ass wedding.

wordspinner

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
361 4
Alleybux
- Wedding Dress (always exciting to see the bride)
- Antidotes, and Speeches

DISLIKES
- Bouquet Throwing
- Drunk Guests
- Bridezillas

INDIFFERENT
- Surname change

RemyKismet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,806 813 88
Alleybux
Dislike:
- Wedding hall food. Just tastes like frozen entrees that were reheated
- Coordinated dance ensemble by the wedding party. This is not a high school talent show. Sit yo ass down!

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,289 4,293 646
Alleybux
- Wedding Dress (always exciting to see the bride)
- Antidotes, and Speeches

DISLIKES
- Bouquet Throwing
- Drunk Guests
- Bridezillas

INDIFFERENT
- Surname change
The name change stuff sounds like such a headache....I debate just telling people my married name but keeping my actual paperwork under my maiden name.

ArielT

Mrs. Jack Schlossberg/Duchess of Westminster
Reaction score
Reactions
14,286 411 97
Alleybux
My family member wants all the bridesmaids to walk in with a song of our choice playing and I thinks it's tacky as hell, especially since my cousin just did this at her wedding.

I don't think I'll be having a wedding party, it seems like unnecessary stress and expenses.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,293 32 12
Alleybux
Dislikes: speeches, garter, party favors....no one cares or takes them. Flower center pieces. Again huge elaborate and noone cares. Party games at the reception...let people entertain themselves.

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,289 4,293 646
Alleybux
I don't think I'll be having a wedding party, it seems like unnecessary stress and expenses.
Me either, tbh. I keep a tight circle so I don’t even have enough close friends to ask. Plus you gotta worry about whose feelings will be hurt or not hurt if they do/don’t get invited. I want an EXTREMELY private, intimate wedding with just my hubby & SUPER close friends/fam so we can savor & enjoy. Ain’t nobody invited lol. And nobody can post it on the internet until well after the fact.

ArielT

Mrs. Jack Schlossberg/Duchess of Westminster
Reaction score
Reactions
14,286 411 97
Alleybux
Me either, tbh. I keep a tight circle so I don’t even have enough close friends to ask. Plus you gotta worry about whose feelings will be hurt or not hurt if they do/don’t get invited. I want an EXTREMELY private, intimate wedding with just my hubby & SUPER close friends/fam so we can savor & enjoy. Ain’t nobody invited lol. And nobody can post it on the internet until well after the fact.
Same! I used to dream about having a huge wedding with tons of people but now? No more than 15-30 people, if that. The people that mean the most to me and my husband, not random family members we haven't seen since our toddler years, and your parents and in-laws random invitees that you barely know, no shade to them lol. I just think it's a waste to have people like that taking part in your celebration because there's no bond. Plus you're paying for those people as well. I'd rather put that extra money towards really having an intimate experience with my husband and loved one's.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
Same! I used to dream about having a huge wedding with tons of people but now? No more than 15-30 people, if that. The people that mean the most to me and my husband, not random family members we haven't seen since our toddler years, and your parents and in-laws random invitees that you barely know, no shade to them lol. I just think it's a waste to have people like that taking part in your celebration because there's no bond. Plus you're paying for those people as well. I'd rather put that extra money towards really having an intimate experience with my husband and loved one's.
Facts. I don't think I want the big hoopla of a huge wedding either. Something small, maybe 50 max on beach/somewhere near water. I've been to so many big weddings and I'm just over it. Plus I don't wanna pay for mad extra people that I'm not even close to just because we are considered "family." Only the closest fam and friends and that's it. I would prob still continue the zoom/virtual aspect for those that don't get an invite though.

Evil Twin

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Reactions
9,441 228 23
Alleybux
Dislikes: those annoying sweetheart neckline gowns everybody and their grandma is wearing. it is not flattering on everyone and everyone's gowns look alike.
When you're a bridesmaid and they pair you up with a certain groomsman, hoping you will hit it off and hook up.
When you try to catch the bouquet and someone jumps in front of you and steals it away.

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,447 1,392 1,031
Alleybux
I love weddings! Of all the life events (funeral, baby shower, birthday etc.) I'm most down to go to a wedding. What are your favorite and least favorite things about weddings or trends?

Like:
-A nice meal
-Getting dressed up
-Seeing friends/family happy

Dislike:
-Stupid registry items. I ain't buying you no diamond-encrusted forks.
-Destination weddings. If your goal is for nobody to come then knock yourself out. But, don't have an exotic $4000/person wedding then hem & haw when no one comes. And you want a present on top of that? That's a lot to ask of people.

As to the bolded, for a lot of couples that is actually the point. It’s a good way to invite the people you have to (distant cousins, the aunt you don’t like) with a reasonable expectation that many of them won’t come.

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,447 1,392 1,031
Alleybux
Traditional vows. Long personalized vows just don’t do it for me. Share that in a private letter just the two of you.

A photo display of dearly departed family members who are not present at the ceremony. It’s a lovely personal touch.

A very clear schedule of events and pre organized transport to different locations if needed.

Pre reception cocktail hour with hors d’oeuvres, especially if you know guests will be waiting for a while until it starts.

In some cultures, not all of the same people are invited to all events. Some are invited to the formal wedding and reception and to another reception for the wider community. It can be based on level of closeness to the families.

Dislikes:

Other people taking photos and posting them online. It’s really a personal choice, but if I could I would do like the celebs and have everyone check in their phones, or use them at a designated spot with an instagrammable background, where the actual wedding/reception cannot be seen. I would derive no pleasure from having my sacred moments plastered on the internet for clout. People also act differently when cameras are out.

Also not sure about how I feel about wedding hashtags.

Strapless dresses on most brides/bridesmaids. They don’t look good on overly busty or chunky people but so many women wear them. Sleeves need to make a comeback.

Super drunk guests. The couple’s family is there. Keep it together.

Guests who don’t thank the parents in person. Have some class please.

Zuri Arie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,078 3,241 688
Alleybux
Tell me about it. I once went to a friends wedding and the brides’ brother started off his speech, saying “Even though we don’t know you that well *Groom’s Name*, we welcome you to the fam! You better be good to my sister or else!” I’m like wtf?? You could have kept that ish to yourself...and just say congrats to the couple, or say I’m happy for y’all..everyone doesn’t need to know the family never really met this man, the groom was from a foreign country... and that marriage clearly didn’t last long.

Oh and that brings up another trend I’m tired of— ppl having these expensive, overboard, over the top huge weddings only to get divorced 1-5 years later, smh.... what’s the point? to show off for other ppl I guess..I was contemplating asking for my bridal and wedding gifts back from a co worker who got married and then got divorced after her honeymoon THREE months after the huge ass wedding.

that‘s some sh!t my brothers would say lmfao I refuse to have wedding.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
that‘s some sh!t my brothers would say lmfao I refuse to have wedding.
Girl... that’s why I would pre-select only two people I know who won’t embarrass me...it was awkward as hell when he said that. Plus he wasn’t even drunk yet either!

LieslAlbrecht

Sometimes you feel like a nut…
Reaction score
Reactions
67,720 1,114 382
Alleybux
I hate barns and garter belts. And long ceremonies; waiting forever for something to happen.
Omg yess! Especially fµck!n Chucks! Like, really bish?!
Lawl, a relative did golden high top Chucks for the entire wedding party. I understand because they had a bunch of kids. Blended family of maybe eight children.

Wear a ballet flat or something.

Tulip

Laptop From Hell
Reaction score
Reactions
159,553 11,249 28,044
Alleybux
Least favorite:

- DJ instead of a band

- chicken, steak, fish, vegetarian menus.

- small dance floor

- wedding favors with the bride and groom’s names and the date of the wedding on them. If the favors include some custom candies or wine, then sure, but don’t stamp items that people may use.

naturalistababy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,815 189 39
Alleybux
Likes- a happy non dysfunctional family, cheerful bride and groom, smooth well executed event, great music

Dislikes- terrible speeches, the words "Pnina Tournai" (scarred by watching all of those half naked corset/ bedazzled atrocities on TLC), gross or inadequate food, and brides not being considerate of their bridesmaids. It shows when the dresses are ugly as hell or the style doesn't suit the body type, when the ladies can't walk well in their shoes, or when they keep messing with their hair cuz its in some ridiculous do. I know a woman who demanded all the bridesmaieds have straight hair and expressly forbade wigs. Another example finding the most expensive hairstylists, makeup artists, and dresses and expecting the bridesmaids to pay in full.

Chile

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,921 1,977 692
Alleybux
Speaking from experience, this is the way to go!

misshoneyb

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
38,619 597 57
Alleybux
Traditional vows. Long personalized vows just don’t do it for me. Share that in a private letter just the two of you.

A photo display of dearly departed family members who are not present at the ceremony. It’s a lovely personal touch.

A very clear schedule of events and pre organized transport to different locations if needed.

Pre reception cocktail hour with hors d’oeuvres, especially if you know guests will be waiting for a while until it starts.

In some cultures, not all of the same people are invited to all events. Some are invited to the formal wedding and reception and to another reception for the wider community. It can be based on level of closeness to the families.

Dislikes:

Other people taking photos and posting them online. It’s really a personal choice, but if I could I would do like the celebs and have everyone check in their phones, or use them at a designated spot with an instagrammable background, where the actual wedding/reception cannot be seen. I would derive no pleasure from having my sacred moments plastered on the internet for clout. People also act differently when cameras are out.

Also not sure about how I feel about wedding hashtags.

Strapless dresses on most brides/bridesmaids. They don’t look good on overly busty or chunky people but so many women wear them. Sleeves need to make a comeback.

Super drunk guests. The couple’s family is there. Keep it together.

Guests who don’t thank the parents in person. Have some class please.

We are having an unplugged ceremony. There will be a sign at the entrance of the venue (see below) and the ushers will be gently reminding our guests as they are seated. I honestly wanted a third reminder from our officiant or wedding planner, but it may be overkill.
view.jpeg

Queen Vannah

Vannah da Plug
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
197,444 3,762 508
Alleybux
People got mad at us because we didn’t have a registry but there was nothing we needed and someone told my mom it was breaking tradition.

Also, don’t like bride and grooms keeping up with the Joneses, not doing what they do not wanna do.

HATE this chucks and Jordan’s trend.

Because I’m a detailed person, I hate when the bridesmaids are able to pick any color and it’s looking like a rainbow. We had the maid and matron in the same color, bridesmaids in the same color.

Small kids shouldn’t be at weddings. That’s my personal opinion. I love the trend of not having flower girls and ring bearers so that this is possible. It’s too many extra steps to plan a wedding that is kid friendly during the reception.

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,447 1,392 1,031
Alleybux
We are having an unplugged ceremony. There will be a sign at the entrance of the venue (see below) and the ushers will be gently reminding our guests as they are seated. I honestly wanted a third reminder from our officiant or wedding planner, but it may be overkill.
View attachment 2523597
This is brilliant. I love it!

Barryglock

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,346 879 301
Alleybux
Favorite:

open bar
Food trucks after the ceremony
First dance at the very beginning when the bride and groom come in

Least favorite:
Tossing the bouquet, embarrassing for all involved.
rustic barn weddings (ok not my least fav, but wouldnt personally want this for my wedding)
Friday weddings. So I’m taking a whole day off of work and pay, to save you some money? Tacky.

colgatesmile

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,991 779 267
Alleybux
People got mad at us because we didn’t have a registry but there was nothing we needed and someone told my mom it was breaking tradition.

Also, don’t like bride and grooms keeping up with the Joneses, not doing what they do not wanna do.

HATE this chucks and Jordan’s trend.

Because I’m a detailed person, I hate when the bridesmaids are able to pick any color and it’s looking like a rainbow. We had the maid and matron in the same color, bridesmaids in the same color.

Small kids shouldn’t be at weddings. That’s my personal opinion. I love the trend of not having flower girls and ring bearers so that this is possible. It’s too many extra steps to plan a wedding that is kid friendly during the reception.

I agree with no small kids at the reception. Get a sitter. I just think it takes away from the experience for the parents. My cousin was a bridesmaid and her daughter was flower girl. It was too much and sucked whatever fun could be had.

ynwnan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,724 31 8
Alleybux
Wedding/Reception Pet Peeves
Kids (none will be at my wedding)
Ghetto<<<<<<<<<< Class (Not everyone wants a turn-up style wedding)
Guest with their phones out during the ceremony
Bad wedding singers
Bad audio and visibility/view
No air/bad air circulation
Garter belt removals lol
Twerking and line dancing (time and a place for all of that)

Creativity
Music selections that depict the bride and groom's personal love story
Starting on time (if possible)
Floral Weddings
Veils

Last edited:

ynwnan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,724 31 8
Alleybux
My family member wants all the bridesmaids to walk in with a song of our choice playing and I thinks it's tacky as hell, especially since my cousin just did this at her wedding.

#Team No Wedding party. I'm okay with groomsmen, though. I'm sure we will do without a party.