Favorite sugarless dessert recipes

AreYouOK

like, meow and stuffs
Reaction score
Reactions
25,736 657
Alleybux
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
I made these last night and they are fantastic. So easy to make and seriously, even if you are hopeless at cooking, the hardest part of making these is getting all the ingredients together. Its a swizz and they are scrummy. The recipe says use margarine, but I always use butter. Margarine always seems to overpower all the other flavours, no matter what you are cooking with. I am starting to get used to stevia too - its got a slight backtaste, but its pleasant enough.

You will need...
5 ounces unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 teaspoon stevia extract
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/4 cup 1% low fat milk
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cup wholewheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

To prepare
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Simmer raisins and apple juice in a small pan for 15 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, cream together flour and softened butter or margarine.
Stir in the stevia, maple flavoring, vanilla, and slightly beaten egg.
Cream 1/3 of the stewed raisins and all of the juice in a blender. Set the rest of the raisins aside.
Stir raisins and juice into the butter mixture.
Add milk and oats.
Sift together dry ingredients.
Combine wet and dry ingredients.
Add the rest of the raisins and walnuts. Be careful not to over mix (this can make cookies tough).
Drop by teaspoonfuls on to a baking tray
Bake for 13-15 minutes.

Scoff! Dunk in coffee!

Yum - thanks for sharing this recipe! I want to try this - just a few more nights of cool weather, enough time to turn the oven on before summer hits.

Notagirl

Randomness Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
57,398 2,984 1
Alleybux
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
I made these last night and they are fantastic. So easy to make and seriously, even if you are hopeless at cooking, the hardest part of making these is getting all the ingredients together. Its a swizz and they are scrummy. The recipe says use margarine, but I always use butter. Margarine always seems to overpower all the other flavours, no matter what you are cooking with. I am starting to get used to stevia too - its got a slight backtaste, but its pleasant enough.

You will need...
5 ounces unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 teaspoon stevia extract
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/4 cup 1% low fat milk
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cup wholewheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

To prepare
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Simmer raisins and apple juice in a small pan for 15 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, cream together flour and softened butter or margarine.
Stir in the stevia, maple flavoring, vanilla, and slightly beaten egg.
Cream 1/3 of the stewed raisins and all of the juice in a blender. Set the rest of the raisins aside.
Stir raisins and juice into the butter mixture.
Add milk and oats.
Sift together dry ingredients.
Combine wet and dry ingredients.
Add the rest of the raisins and walnuts. Be careful not to over mix (this can make cookies tough).
Drop by teaspoonfuls on to a baking tray
Bake for 13-15 minutes.

Scoff! Dunk in coffee!
I would try these if not for the raisins. I don't like raisins.

Edit - I need to clear that up. I don't like the type of raisins that have pits inside. I will try the ones without pits, but they still taste odd to me.

Last edited:

ChinaCup

Eggs for miles
Reaction score
Reactions
225,529 5,895 81
Alleybux
I would try these if not for the raisins. I don't like raisins.
I have made them with grated orange peel too. Just substitute the raisins, but only use approx 3/4 the amount or the citrus taste can take over a little bit too much.

Last edited:

Notagirl

Randomness Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
57,398 2,984 1
Alleybux
ATTENTION LADIES!

xes IN A PAN

An easy xes in a pan recipe is a challenge when you are trying to keep it to real food ingredients and somewhat healthy. I’m not going to lie, it’s definitely calorie dense and on the heavier side. But, at least there are no artificial ingredients. And, it’s still pretty simple to make – no processed pudding mix required!

The other aspect some struggle with was keeping the xes in a pan recipe under ten ingredients total. After all, “ten ingredients or less” is my thing. Definitely not easy with a six layer dessert!

Fortunately, you are able to repeat many of the ingredients among the different layers, so it worked out. It actually came out to nine ingredients, although the original version had ten.

Traditionally, xes in a pan dessert contains six layers. These include:
  • Pecan shortbread crust
  • Cream cheese
  • Vanilla pudding
  • Chocolate pudding
  • Whipped cream
  • Shaved chocolate
All the versions that I know of are made with sugar and wheat flour. In fact, a couple of the layers usually include instant pudding. For me, these would be no, no, and definitely not.

This take (from Wholesome Yum) on chocolate layer dessert isn’t exactly healthy, but at least it is gluten-free, sugar-free, and made without questionable ingredients.

It does include similar basic layers:
  • Pecan shortbread crust
  • Cream cheese
  • Chocolate
  • Whipped cream
  • Shaved chocolate
  • As the lady from WY says:
  • I skipped the vanilla pudding layer, because patience isn’t my strong suit. Waiting for each layer to set already took long enough with five layers! It’s totally worth it though, I promise.

Anyway, the other layers are so decadent that I don’t think you’ll miss the one I omitted. If you really like vanilla pudding, feel free to add a layer of your favorite kind before the chocolate layer.

In fact, I was so determined to make this low carb dessert a little faster than traditional xes in a pan recipes, that I decided to modify the chocolate layer from the original. (I’m pretty sure that most of us don’t want to spend hours upon hours making our low carb or no carb desserts!)
  • The older version required making chocolate pudding using xanthan gum, and waiting hours for it to set. Some people reported issues with the pudding setting, and the xanthan gum was less readily available for many.

More importantly, it was So. Much. Waiting. I cut that out and replaced it with a chocolate whipped cream instead. So much faster, and just as delicious!
  • Ingredients​

• Pecan Crust​

Cream Cheese Layer​

Chocolate Layer - Option 1 (Old Version)​

Chocolate Layer - Option 2 (New Version)​

Whipped Cream Layer​

• 1 1/2 cup Heavy cream
    • 2 tbsp Besti Powdered Erythritol
    • 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
    • 1 oz Sugar-free dark chocolate (shaved using a peeler, grater, or shaver)

• Instructions:
    • Crust
      1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9 in (23x23 cm) baking dish with parchment paper.
      2. In a large bowl, stir together almond flour, pecan meal, and powdered erythritol. Stir in melted butter until a crumbly dough forms. Press evenly into the lined baking dish.
      3. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden and firm. Set aside to cool.

Cream Cheese Layer​

1. While the crust is baking, make the cream cheese layer. Use a hand mixer to beat the cream, vanilla extract, and powdered erythritol together, until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in the softened cream cheese, a bit at a time, until well combined.
      2. Once the crust has cooled, spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over it.

Chocolate Layer - Option 1 (old version, like pudding)​

1. While the crust is cooling, make the chocolate pudding layer. In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, almond milk, sugar-free dark chocolate, butter, and powdered erythritol. Cook over medium-low to low heat, stirring frequently, until the chocolate is melted and sweetener dissolves (about 5-10 minutes). Be careful not to get the heat too high to avoid burning the chocolate.Gradually sprinkle the xanthan gum into the saucepan a little at a time (don't just dump it in) and immediately whisk to incorporate. Continue to heat for about 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, then whisk in the vanilla extract.Cool the chocolate pudding for 15 minutes (it will thicken, but still be liquid). You can add more xanthan gum if needed, but don't add too much or it will get slimy. Stir/whisk again after cooling, then pour it over the cream cheese layer.Cover with plastic wrap, making sure it's directly against the surface to prevent a film forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
      2. Chocolate Layer - Option 2 (new version, faster)
      1. While the crust is cooling, make the chocolate layer. Beat the heavy cream, powdered sweetener, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Beat in cocoa powder gradually.
      2. Spread the chocolate whipped cream over the cream cheese layer.

Whipped Cream Layer​

1. Use a hand mixer to beat the cream, vanilla extract, and powdered erythritol together, until stiff peaks form.
      2. Spread the whipped cream over the chocolate layer. Sprinkle chocolate shavings on top.
      3. Refrigerate for 1-2 more hours (or as long as needed until serving) to fully set.

Notagirl

Randomness Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
57,398 2,984 1
Alleybux
Oh wow. What happened to my last recipe? It came out all out of format!

ChinaCup

Eggs for miles
Reaction score
Reactions
225,529 5,895 81
Alleybux
Cherries, no. Cranberries are ok.
I've never had much success using glace cherries in anything. I use them in scones and leave them whole, but if you have to chop them they just, I don't know, they don't hold their consistency very well. They are a bit unpredictable.

AlexisColby

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,357 250 11
Alleybux
Oh my gah, why are y'all using splenda and stevia in desserts? :tired_face::sick::sweat:

I am the queen of low carb/keto/sugar free desserts. My non-low carb friends and fam stay eating my stuff and don't know the difference. I will be back later with recipes.

In the meantime please go get you some Lankto monkfuit (or another Monkfruit/Erythritol mix brand) or Allulose. Both are indistinguishable from cane sugar. Both are natural with a clean sugar taste profile and with no after taste.... they also have health benefits.

imageService.jpeg

81GPOqfl80L._SX466_.jpg

AreYouOK

like, meow and stuffs
Reaction score
Reactions
25,736 657
Alleybux
Oh my gah, why are y'all using splenda and stevia in desserts? :tired_face::sick::sweat:

I am the queen of low carb/keto/sugar free desserts. My non-low carb friends and fam stay eating my stuff and don't know the difference. I will be back later with recipes.

In the meantime please go get you some Lankto monkfuit (or another Monkfruit/Erythritol mix brand) or Allulose. Both are indistinguishable from cane sugar. Both are natural with a clean sugar taste profile and with no after taste.... they also have health benefits.

View attachment 2489821

View attachment 2489823

Thanks for sharing this! I have the monkfruit sweetener from Costco - love it!

AreYouOK

like, meow and stuffs
Reaction score
Reactions
25,736 657
Alleybux

Low-Carb Chocolate Chip Muffins​

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 35 minutes
  • Yield: 12 muffins 1x
  • Category: Dessert
  • Method: Bake
  • Cuisine: American
Low-Carb-Chocolate-Chip-Muffins2

These Low-Carb Chocolate Chip Muffins are the ultimate keto treat to satisfy your sweet tooth! This recipe is low-carb, keto, nut-free, soy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, vegetarian, refined-sugar-free, and contains only 2.2g net carbs per serving!

Ingredients​

• 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup classic monk fruit sweetener
  • 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
  • 1 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Additional Materials
  • Muffin tin
  • Muffin liners

Instructions​

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with 12 muffin liners.
  2. To a mixing bowl, add eggs, classic monk fruit sweetener, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, vanilla extract, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Mix with an electric mixer until ingredients are combined.
  3. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter. To mixing bowl, add melted butter and coconut flour. Mix with an electric mixer until fully incorporated.
  4. Fold chocolate chips into the dough. Spoon dough into individual muffin liners.
  5. Bake until muffin tops are slightly golden, about 23-25 minutes.

AreYouOK

like, meow and stuffs
Reaction score
Reactions
25,736 657
Alleybux

Low-Carb Coconut Blondies​

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 30 minutes
  • Total Time: 45 minutes
  • Yield: 12 slices 1x
  • Category: Dessert
  • Method: Bake
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Gluten Free
These Low-Carb Coconut Blondies are a nut-free treat that are made without refined sugar and are gluten-free and dairy-free! These treats make the perfect after-dinner dessert and contain minimal grams of net carbs per serving!

Ingredients​

• ⅓ cup (64g) golden monk fruit sweetener
  • 4 eggs, room temperature, beaten
  • 1/2 cup (120mL) coconut oil, melted (measure before melting)
  • 1/2 cup (120g) full-fat canned coconut cream (thick part at top of can)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup (56g) coconut flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup (20g) unsweetened coconut flakes

Instructions​

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9.5″ x 5″ nonstick loaf pan with parchment paper, using enough that the edges of the parchment paper fold outside the edges of the pan.
  2. In a high-speed blender or food processor, pulse monk fruit sweetener until powdered.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, mix together powdered monk fruit sweetener, eggs, melted coconut oil, coconut cream, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add coconut flour, baking powder, and salt and mix again until all ingredients are well-combined. Allow mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Using a rubber spatula, scrape mixture into prepared baking pan and transfer baking pan to oven to bake for 15 minutes.
  5. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle coconut flakes atop dough, pressing flakes gently into dough. Return pan to oven to bake until toothpick can be inserted into center of blondies and come out cleanly, about an additional 15 minutes.
  6. Remove baked blondies from oven and allow to cool completely before pulling at edges of parchment paper to remove from pan. Optionally, sprinkle additional 1 tbsp (12g) monk fruit sweetener atop blondies (not included in nutrition calculation). Cut blondies into 12 equal slices and serve.

Recipe Notes:​

Golden Monk Fruit Sweetener Substitution: Classic Monk Fruit Sweetener, erythritol, or Swerve can be substituted in for Golden Monk Fruit Sweetener at a 1:1 ratio. Powdered and liquid stevia will not work in this recipe.

Coconut Oil Substitution: Unsalted butter can be subbed in for coconut oil at a 1:1 ratio. Note that this ingredient substitution will lead to the recipe no longer being dairy-free.

Net Carbs: Each blondie slice contains 1.6 grams of net carbs.

Storage: These can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. You can also refrigerate them, although I don’t recommend this as they will dry out.

Last edited:

Sherloque

Gwyneth isn't losing sleep
Reaction score
Reactions
122,635 2,488 21
Alleybux
Glace cherries can go a little bit pulpy and turn the cookies pink.
You can get dried cherries - no artificial color, no sugar - they're very different from glace cherries. Look for them with the other dried fruits.

ChinaCup

Eggs for miles
Reaction score
Reactions
225,529 5,895 81
Alleybux
You can get dried cherries - no artificial color, no sugar - they're very different from glace cherries. Look for them with the other dried fruits.
Oh yes, you can get them from health shops. I go to Holland & Barrett for a lot of my ingredients, but the dried fruits, the sugarless ones can be a bit tart in cooking. It's not a huge problem because cherries aren't really one of my go-to things. For fruity recipes I tend to go for citrussy things or bananas. Depends what I'm making and what kind of texture I'm after. But thanks anyway :cute

TeenyTeaTime

Just a roadie on the Worldwide Privacy Tour
Reaction score
Reactions
198,339 1,215 1
Alleybux
I keep bees so use quite a lot of honey instead of sugar. The main things to be careful of when cooking with honey are not to overheat it (e.g.frying) because it changes the flavour, or if using it as a sugar substitute in a mix you need to work out how much less of other liquids you need to use.

One very simple thing I like to do is to cook sliced pineapple (under a grill, or as kebabs) and then drizzle with a mix of runny honey, a sprinkle of black pepper and some lime zest. Add in some 5-spice powder for something really different.

Great ideas, thanks! What are your feelings about “organic” honey? I would have thought all honey is organic but maybe I am missing something?

AreYouOK

like, meow and stuffs
Reaction score
Reactions
25,736 657
Alleybux
Oh yes, you can get them from health shops. I go to Holland & Barrett for a lot of my ingredients, but the dried fruits, the sugarless ones can be a bit tart in cooking. It's not a huge problem because cherries aren't really one of my go-to things. For fruity recipes I tend to go for citrussy things or bananas. Depends what I'm making and what kind of texture I'm after. But thanks anyway :cute

The fun part to plumping dried fruits is soaking them in some booze. Whiskey works well. :sneaky:

Acornz

Entwife
Reaction score
Reactions
44,645 680 3
Alleybux
Great ideas, thanks! What are your feelings about “organic” honey? I would have thought all honey is organic but maybe I am missing something?
It's tricky!

You can have the long answer! :LOL:

Honey producers, which aren't always beekeepers because the big firms buy honey in bulk and then blend it to suit a generic customer's taste, are bound by two main sets of rules.

In Britain there are the Honey Labelling Regulations (National) and also Trading Standards rules (same across all the country but enforced locally):-

"Organic Honey" is not a reserved description within either set of regulations and is covered by a separate set of rules: "Labelling and describing organic food" ~ organic is a farming practice and farms must be approved and registered with the Soil Association (I think).

Beekeeping in Britain is generally 'organic' because no beekeeper is allowed to use antibiotics but there are some miticides that are permitted - to kill the varroa mite, which can be quite destructive. If colonies get either of the two main infectious diseases (foulbroods) the Inspectorate will instruct destruction of the colony, the hardware, and any honey that might have been within the hive whereas in much of America and parts of mainland Europe the beekeepers would be allowed to use antibiotics.

But ... Britain is a small country, especially when compared to America and land is heavily used. Some registered as organic farms are quite small.

Bees fly up to, and sometimes further than, 3 miles in search of a good/reliable nectar supply (e.g. oil seed rape fields) and that could take them outside the boundary of any organic farm their hives might be on and they could, very easily, collect nectar from plants that are not grown organically.

So it's not the beekeeper or where they keep their bees that's important, it's where the bees source their nectar - and the honey can only be labelled as organic if it's from organically grown flowers.

I think that labelling honey as 'organic' can be seen as a bit of a con to draw in buyers, unless it's from the bigger companies that can prove the honey is from a large farm that is registered organic or if, for example, the honey is from colonies put out to collect Heather nectar within National Parks.

Apart from that - yes, honey is organic and can only come from bees. It's also 'raw' because heating it above up will spoil it. But labelling it as either is more a pull for customers and could even be a lie.

(There are some beekeepers around the world that use plastic frames and plastic comb - instead of using wooden frames and letting the bees build their own comb from their own wax. This certainly isn't 'organic'.)

Last edited:

Laser Look

Head of Global Impact Misinformation
Reaction score
Reactions
117,348 1,216 4
Alleybux
I like these Strawberry Energy Balls (from dishing Out Health):

Ingredients​

Instructions​

• Place cashews in a blender and blend until finely chopped. Add dates, 1/4 cup of the coconut, cashew butter, maple syrup, seed of choice, vanilla, and salt; blend until mixture is well-combined and clumps together. Add strawberries; blend until dispersed throughout mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides and manually mix in as needed.
  • Turn mixture out into a bowl. Use a small cookie scoop or Tablespoon to measure out 24 equal portions; roll into balls.
  • Spread remaining 1/2 cup coconut on a plate, and roll each ball in coconut. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Notes​

Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week, or in the freezer up to 1 month (no need to thaw if frozen).

If not adding shredded coconut, reduce maple syrup to 2 Tbsp.

They sound delish!

Last edited:

Laser Look

Reaction score
Reactions
117,348 1,216 4
Alleybux
With the weather getting warmer, this is a quick dessert recipe I like to do in the summertime.

Sugar-Free Lemon Cake

Sugar-Free Lemon Cake

Prep:10 mins
Cook:30 mins
Total:40 mins
Servings:16 to 24 servings
Yields:16 mini cakes

This semi-homemade sugar-free lemon cake is simple, delicious, and comes together in all of about 40 minutes. Make sure you hide the cake box—everyone will think it took you hours to make, and no one will notice the missing sugar.

For better portion control, divide the batter among 16 mini bundt pans. If you don't have bundt pans available, you can bake them in muffin tins. To add a finishing touch that's pleasing to both the eye and tongue, top the cooled lemon cakes with sugar-free strawberry sauce when serving. It's a simple berry sauce that has lots of fresh berry flavor. It pairs wonderfully with this lemon cake, an angel food cake, or key lime pie.

Ingredients

For the Cake:
For the Sauce:

Steps to Make It

1. Gather the ingredients.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease or lightly coat 16 mini bundt pans or muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.

3. To a medium mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, add the yellow cake mix, water, eggs, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Set the mixer to medium speed and beat for about 2 minutes or until smooth.

4. Divide the batter evenly among the greased mini bundt pans and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. If you are baking in greased muffin tins, bake for 15 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

5. Cool for a few minutes before turning the cakes out of the pans and cooling completely.

6. To make the sauce, add the sugar-free strawberry preserves to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the preserves turn to a liquid consistency.

7. Stir in the sliced fresh strawberries and continue to stir over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Simmer the strawberries and preserves, while stirring, until they break down to form a sauce.

8. Cool the sauce for several minutes. Top each cake with a little sauce and serve.

Tips​

• You can also use 2 (9-inch) cake rounds and bake them for 29 to 33 minutes at 325 F. When a toothpick inserted comes out clean, your cakes are done.
  • The strawberry sauce recipe makes about one cup of sauce.
  • Food seems to taste better with fresh-squeezed lemon juice rather than bottled lemon juice. Remember to wash and thoroughly dry the lemons before zesting.
  • To juice the lemon, Use firm pressure to roll a room-temperature lemon on a counter several times before slicing in half and squeezing out the juice with a reamer, by hand, or with an electric juicer, making sure no seeds get in the juice.
  • Microwave a room-temperature lemon on high for 25 to 30 seconds before slicing and extracting the juice.
OMG I feel sooo hungry now.

Last edited:

Laser Look

Reaction score
Reactions
117,348 1,216 4
Alleybux
If honey works, here's a great fruit salad:

Fresh Fruit Salad
Ingredients:
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 pints fresh strawberries, halved
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 1/2 cups honeydew melon balls
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped

Directions:
Whisk together orange juice and honey. Add fruit and mint, and mix. Chill for 1 hour. Serve garnished with fresh mint leaves.
I never think to put melon in fruit salad - top tip!

Laser Look

Reaction score
Reactions
117,348 1,216 4
Alleybux
I hate dragging out my food processor to puree the dates, but it's a necessary evil.

GLUTEN FREE DATE BARS {NO ADDED SUGAR}

These Oatmeal Walnut Gluten Free Date Bars are seriously dreamy! They make the perfect energizing on-the-go snack, and are a healthy option because they are free of added sugars.

Course: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 33 minutes
Servings: 16 squares
Calories: 203kcal

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 1/2 cup oats (divided)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 5-6 Medjool dates (4 ounces of pitted dates)*
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

Date Layer​

• 18 Medjool dates (12 ounces of pitted dates)*
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I like 1/2, but begin with 1/4 and add to taste)

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Preheat oven to 325º F.
  • Add 1 cup of the oatmeal to a food processor, and process into oat flour.
  • Into the food processor bowl, add the dates, coconut, sea salt and baking soda. Process until the dates are broken up.
  • Add the remaining 1/2 cup of oatmeal and the walnuts, and pulse to break them up, leaving both with some texture.
  • Add the egg, coconut oil, and flax meal. Pulse these into the dry ingredients to create a cookie base.
  • Reserve 1/2 cup of the cookie base to use as the crumble topping.
  • Press the rest of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8×8 pan. I like to use baking paper to make these easy to pop out and slice when they are ready.
  • Make the date caramel by adding the dates, lemon juice, and sea salt to a cleaned food processor bowl. This process will take 5-10 minutes depending on how powerful your processor is.

Every minute or so, I use a spatula to scrape the dates back down and press them around the blade. Once the caramel starts to form, it gets easier to continue processing. It will lighten in color as it gets smoother.
  • Use wet hands to press the caramel layer on top of the cookie layer.
  • Sprinkle the reserved oatmeal mixture over the top of the date layer to make a crumble topping.
  • Bake for 18 minutes.
  • For best results, completely cool before slicing. I like to freeze them before slicing for nicer bars.
  • These bars are best stored (and enjoyed!) from the freezer, but also hold up well as a travel snack.

NOTES​

*1 cup of packed Medjool dates is about 5 1/2 ounces. To sub a smaller date variety, please weigh instead of relying on the measurements for Medjools. Depending on what variety you use, it might take 2 1/2 cups of dates to equal the weight of 5 1/2 ounces. I have used different dates in this recipe with success by measuring by weight rather than cups.

Completely cool bars before slicing. I allow them to cool to room temperature, and then freeze them for a couple hours, and then they slice into perfect bars.

These are delicious right out of the freezer, when the date caramel layer gets really chewy, similar to caramel.

Sub another nut, like almonds or pecans, to make these your own. You can also make them nut free by using pumpkin or sunflower seeds.

NUTRITION​

Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 76mg | Potassium: 309mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 0.9mg
I love dates! This sounds fab, thanks for that.

Last edited:

Laser Look

Reaction score
Reactions
117,348 1,216 4
Alleybux
I love the combination of watermelon and lime... it's just so good and refreshing.

Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresca (Sugar-Free)

All you need to make it are 4 ingredients plus ice and a blender!
Two glasses of Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresca garnished with lime wedges

What is agua fresca?​

Agua fresca is a beverage popular in Mexico and the United States. Generally fruit is combined with water and sugar to make a delicious non-alcoholic drink. We usually keep a case of Perrier in the garage, but you could use your favorite mineral water such as La Croix. You could experiment with different flavors and see which you like the best. I bet any of the citrus flavors or even coconut would be delicious. Of course, you also have the option of turning this into an adult beverage by adding vodka or your favorite spirit.

As far as equipment goes, all you need is a blender to make these aguas frescas. I like to strain the watermelon juice before pouring it into glasses, but that step is optional.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 4

Ingredients​

• ▢ 4 cups watermelon, chunks (seedless)
  • ▢ 1 Tablespoon lime juice
  • ▢ 4 mint leaves
  • ▢ sparkling water
  • ▢ ice, crushed or cubes
  • ▢ lime slices , for garnish (optional)

Instructions​

• ▢ In a blender, process the watermelon chunks, lime juice, and mint leaves until smooth.
  • ▢ Strain the watermelon mixture, if desired, and set aside.
  • ▢ Fill your glasses with ice.
  • ▢ Pour the watermelon mixture over the ice to fill each glass ¾ of the way to the top.
  • ▢ Top each glass with sparkling water, garnish with lime slices (if desired) and enjoy!

Nutrition​

Calories: 47kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 170mg | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 905IU | Vitamin C: 13.8mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.4mg

Nutritional information is an estimation only.
I can't wait to try this - with vodka or even some gin - yum!!

Last edited:

TeenyTeaTime

Reaction score
Reactions
198,339 1,215 1
Alleybux
It's tricky!

You can have the long answer! :LOL:

Honey producers, which aren't always beekeepers because the big firms buy honey in bulk and then blend it to suit a generic customer's taste, are bound by two main sets of rules.

In Britain there are the Honey Labelling Regulations (National) and also Trading Standards rules (same across all the country but enforced locally):-

"Organic Honey" is not a reserved description within either set of regulations and is covered by a separate set of rules: "Labelling and describing organic food" ~ organic is a farming practice and farms must be approved and registered with the Soil Association (I think).

Beekeeping in Britain is generally 'organic' because no beekeeper is allowed to use antibiotics but there are some miticides that are permitted - to kill the varroa mite, which can be quite destructive. If colonies get either of the two main infectious diseases (foulbroods) the Inspectorate will instruct destruction of the colony, the hardware, and any honey that might have been within the hive whereas in much of America and parts of mainland Europe the beekeepers would be allowed to use antibiotics.

But ... Britain is a small country, especially when compared to America and land is heavily used. Some registered as organic farms are quite small.

Bees fly up to, and sometimes further than, 3 miles in search of a good/reliable nectar supply (e.g. oil seed rape fields) and that could take them outside the boundary of any organic farm their hives might be on and they could, very easily, collect nectar from plants that are not grown organically.

So labelling honey as 'organic' can be seen as a bit of a con to draw in buyers, unless it's from the bigger companies that can prove the honey is from a large farm that is registered organic or if, for example, the honey is from colonies put out to collect Heather nectar within National Parks.

Apart from that - yes, honey is organic and can only come from bees. It's also 'raw' because heating it above up will spoil it. But labelling it as either is more a pull for customers and could even be a lie.

(There are some beekeepers around the world that use plastic frames and plastic comb - instead of using wooden frames and letting the bees build their own comb from their own wax. This certainly isn't 'organic'.)

That is a great answer, thank you!

Reaction score
Reactions
196,078 12,814 94
Alleybux
A good recipe with no added sugar to make with little kids is two ingredient cookies. It's quick and easy and fun for them to make. You mash up a large banana and mix in 1/2 cup of quick oats, form into little cookies and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. You can add desired extras like shredded coconut, raisins, etc.

Last edited:

isalight

Empress of the Universe
Reaction score
Reactions
149,508 2,138 75
Alleybux

Chocolate almond cups​

(3)
Chocolate almond cups

Chocolate almond cups
Valli Little

BY VALLI LITTLE

DELICIOUS. TEAM

FEB 13, 2017​

SAVE TO COOKBOOK

The healthy chocolate treat thats also vegan friendly, dairy free and refined sugar free!

INGREDIENTS​

• 100g almonds, plus extra chopped almonds to serve
  • 1/4 cup (70g) almond or other nut butter
  • 1/3 cup (65g) coconut oil, melted
  • 3/4 cup (50g) shredded coconut, plus extra to serve
  • 2 tbs rice malt syrup
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 cups (100g) puffed rice
  • 2/3 cup (160ml) maple syrup
  • 140g coconut oil, melted, extra
  • 2/3 cup (70g) cacao powder (from health food stores and selected supermarkets)

METHOD​

Grease holes of a 12-hole muffin pan and line with baking paper.

Whiz almonds in a food processor until roughly chopped. Add nut butter, coconut oil, shredded coconut, rice malt syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and 2 tbs maple syrup, and pulse to combine.

Divide among holes of muffin pan, using a spoon to press down. Freeze for 10 minutes or until slightly firmed.

Meanwhile, to make topping, combine extra coconut oil, cacao powder and remaining 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup in a jug.

Divide among muffin holes. Freeze for a further 30 minutes or until set. (Remove from pan and keep chilled if not serving immediately.)

Top with extra almond and shredded coconut to serve.

Just a Second

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Reactions
33,639 203 9
Alleybux
A good recipe with no added sugar to make with little kids is two ingredient cookies. It's quick and easy and fun for them to make. You mash up a large banana and mix in 1/2 cup of quick oats, form into little cookies and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. You can add desired extras like shredded coconut, raisins, etc.

A quick easy breakfast is two eggs, beaten with one banana. Cook it as a pancake. My son swears by this bachelor dish.

Just a Second

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Reactions
33,639 203 9
Alleybux
No sugar Pumpkin Mousse/Fluff

Blend the following then chill. Works as a trifle. I’ve served in mousse glasses and ramekins. When dieting, I’ve eaten straight out of the mixing bowl. Don’t shame me. Esss good.
  • 2 small packages of Vanilla Jell-O Sugar Free-Fat Free Instant Pudding and Pie Filling
  • 2 cups no-fat (skim) milk or milk alternative
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 15 ounce can pumpkin purée
  • 8 ounces lite, fat-free or sugar-free cool whip or non-dairy whipped topping alternative

DepositO

I want meh Secooreetee!!
Reaction score
Reactions
241,206 11,221 52
Alleybux

Sugar-free chocolate and sticky date pudding​

INGREDIENTS​

• 375g fresh medjool dates, pitted
  • 150g buckwheat flour
  • 3 cups (300g) almond meal
  • 1/3 cup (35g) raw cacao powder
  • 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped (reserve pod for another use)
  • 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 225g solidified coconut oil
  • 150g sugar-free dark chocolate (from supermarkets and health food stores), finely chopped
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 300ml buttermilk

WARM VANILLA AND COCONUT SAUCE​

• 800ml coconut milk
  • 200g fresh medjool dates, pitted
  • 2 vanilla beans, split, seeds scraped

• METHOD​

Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan-forced) and grease a 2.5L (10-cup) baking dish.
        Place dates in a bowl and cover with 3 cups (750ml) boiling water. Stand for 10 minutes to soften, then drain and finely chop.

To make the pudding, place chopped dates and remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.

Spread batter into prepared dish, smoothing the surface with a palette knife, and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in pudding comes out clean.

Meanwhile, for the warm vanilla and coconut sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, transfer to a blender and whiz until smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.

Remove pudding from the oven and, using a skewer, poke holes from the top through to the bottom. Pour one-third of the sauce over the hot pudding and stand for 5 minutes or until the sauce is absorbed slightly.

Serve warm with remaining sauce.

DepositO

I want meh Secooreetee!!
Reaction score
Reactions
241,206 11,221 52
Alleybux

Honey and lemon curd tart with blueberries​

INGREDIENTS​

• 375g block frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 2 x 125g punnets blueberries
  • Micro coriander, to serve (optional)

HONEY & LEMON CURD​

• 6 eggs
  • Juice of 2 lemons, zest finely grated
  • 1/3 cup (115g) honey, plus extra to serve
  • 1 cup (250ml) coconut oil, melted

METHOD​

For the lemon curd, place all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, whisking for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Set aside to cool. Chill for 1-2 hours to thicken further.
      Roll out the pastry to a 15cm x 30cm rectangle. Place on a baking paper-lined baking tray and prick all over with a fork. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and another baking tray, then bake at 180C for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool.

Spread pastry with curd and scatter over blueberries. Drizzle with extra honey and sprinkle with micro coriander, if using, to serve.

DepositO

I want meh Secooreetee!!
Reaction score
Reactions
241,206 11,221 52
Alleybux
This recipe is one i have done and it’s good.

KETO PRALINES | THE BEST SUGAR FREE PECAN PRALINES​

INGREDIENTS FOR KETO PRALINES​

So, today we will be making keto pralines with pecans.

And along with the pecans, you'll need:

• 1 cup pecans
  • 1 stick salted butter, cut into pieces
  • ⅓ cup Confectioners Swerve
  • 4 oz.Heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• An ingredient list doesn't get much better than that. Not only do you need just 5ingredients, but they are all common keto ingredients.

Hopefully, you have a few, if not all of them on hand, and can start making these keto pralines.

But before we make them, let's talk about how we will be creating sugar free pecan pralines.
  • SWEETENING YOUR KETO PRALINES​

So, as you may have noticed, one of our ingredients for this recipe is Confectioners Swerve.

And if you've made some of my recipes before, then you probably know I love using Confectioners Swerve to make sugar free keto desserts.

• Confectioners Swerve is a 0 calorie and 0 carb sweetener with the same sweetness as regular sugar and substitutes with it on a one-for-one basis.

But if you don't have Swerve or want another keto-friendly option, you can also go with Lakantos Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener - it is basically the same thing as Swerve.

SWEETENERS TO AVOID​

With that said, you will want to avoid usingStevia or xylitol to sweeten your pralines.

Stevia is much sweeter than sugar and commonly contains maltodextrin, dextrose, and maltose. And those are all basically sugar and are not keto-friendly.

And xylitol actually contains half the carbsand half the calories as regular sugar and is also not keto-friendly.

• HOW TO MAKE KETO PRALINES​

Gather your 5 ingredients and let's whip up some deliciousness.

These keto pralines are pretty darn easy to make and only take about 10 minutes of work.

So if you're ready to make some healthy sugar-free nutty and buttery treats, let's get rolling!

• PREPARING YOUR KETO PRALINES​

First things first, you're going to preheat your oven to 400°F (204°C).

Then add all of your pecans to a medium-sized bowl and set it aside.

Next, cut up a stick of salted butter, add those cut-up pieces to a small bowl, and set it aside as well.

Now, in a large bowl, you will add your Confectioners Swerve and then set that aside with the pecans and butter.

Lastly, add your heavy cream to a small cup and set aside with your other ingredients.

• MAKING THE KETO PRALINE MIXTURE​

Ok, so now that all the prep work is over, you will add your pecans to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread them out nicely so that they've got some room to roast up.

• Then put the pecans in your oven, and you will roast them for a couple of minutes, just until they get fragrant.

While those are roasting, add your butter - except about a tablespoon - to a pan set over medium heat.

As the butter starts to melt, add the swerveand heavy cream to the pan. You will want to get out a spatula and begin working and combining those ingredients together in your pan.

Continuously work the ingredients around the pan with the spatula as they cook - doing this will prevent the praline mixture from burning.

That said, eventually, you will start seeing a lovely golden caramel color, and at that point, turn the heat off the burner and add your remaining amount of butter, along with the vanilla extract.

• Next, use your spatula and mix the butter and vanilla into the praline mixture until they dissolve.

• COMPLETING YOUR KETO PECAN PRALINES​

Now we can put everything together to complete these pralines.

First, pour your roasted pecans right into the pan and give them a quick mix with your spatula to cover them in the praline mixture.

Then, use a tablespoon to scoop out a little bit of that pecan goodness onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper - this recipe will make about 12 keto pralines.

After you scoop all the praline deliciousness, put the baking sheet in the fridge for about an hour or until they are fully set.

• STORING YOUR KETO PECAN PRALINES​

As I just mentioned, this recipe makes about 12 pralines, so get ready for some leftovers.

And these keto pralines literally taste better with every day that passes.

You can keep your pralines in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, so you might as well double or triple this recipe.

If you have some left after 3 weeks, you can transfer them right to the freezer, where they'll last for up to 3 months.

I suggest putting a piece of parchment paper between each praline to make sure they do not stick to one another while freezing. Then defrost your keto pralines in the fridge before enjoying.

Liver Bird

Licking the lid of life.
Reaction score
Reactions
87,546 2,737 37
Alleybux
Yummm....medjool dates. This recipe for Creamy Avocado Lime Tart uses them in a crust with pecans and coconut.

Creamy Avocado Lime Tart​

creamy-lime-avocado-tart-6 (1).jpg

INGREDIENTS​

CRUST​

• 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup medjool dates (about 12 dates)
  • 1–2 teaspoons lime zest
  • pinch of sea salt

TART FILLING​

• 4 avocados (about 1 1/2 cups of avocado puree)
  • 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 cup coconut nectar (or honey)
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 teaspoons lime zest

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. Process the crust ingredients (coconut, pecans, dates, lime zest and sea salt) in a food processor or mini chopper until the dates have turned into sticky paste holding the crust ingredients together. Take mixture out of the processor and press evenly into your springform pan. Place pan in freezer while you make the tart filling.
  2. While the crust is setting in the freezer, blend ingredients for the filling (avocados, lime juice, agave, coconut oil and lime zest) in a high-speed blender or food processor until creamy.
  3. Pour the avocado filling over the crust and use a spoon to make sure the filling is even and smooth.
  4. Place pan in the freezer to set up, at least 2 hours, but can be overnight. Take out of freezer, remove the springform pan, let sit out for 10-15 minutes, cut into slices and serve. The longer it sits out, the filling will soften and become more like pudding. It still tastes amazing, but not as firm. Store any leftovers back in the freezer.

Delicious served with whipped cream, and if you are not particularly an avocado fan, don't worry, you can't really taste it. I's all about the lime, baby!

TeenyTeaTime

Reaction score
Reactions
198,339 1,215 1
Alleybux
Gluten free, sugar free, corn free dessert

1 8oz drinking receptacle
3 oz ice
Potable water
straw

Enjoy.
What is your preferred drinking receptacle? I know some people like glass but there is always the danger of breakage, right? I really do not like eating and drinking from plastic.

Last edited:

The Culture

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom