FourFiveSeconds

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
1,302 29 19
Alleybux
Paul Ames - May 26, 2013 07:19

Fear of a black Europe: Racism rises on the Old Continent
Analysis: Economic pain is bringing out the worst in some Europeans.

BRUSSELS, Belgium — The appointment of Italy's first black cabinet minister was a cause for celebration for anti-racism campaigners in Europe.

Their joy was cut short by reactions to Congo-born Cecile Kyenge taking office.

"This is a bonga bonga government," said Mario Borghezio, a member of the European Parliament representing Italy's Northern League party. "It seems to me she'd be a great housekeeper, but not a government minister."

Borghezio's comments were widely condemned within Italy and across Europe.

Yet in the days that followed, more outbreaks of racism illustrated what activists denounce as a trend of growing intolerance fueled by Europe's economic crisis.

Hungary's third-largest political party warned the country was being "subjugated by Zionism" as it protested against the World Jewish Congress holding a meeting in Budapest.

French anti-gay marriage protesters producer a poster (below) portraying Justice Minister Christiane Taubira, who is black, as an evil gorilla.

bilder kostenlos hochladen

In Athens, authorities clashed violently with a Nazi-influenced party whose electoral support has soared.

Fans shouting racial abuse of black players halted a match between two of Italy's top soccer teams.

"There is definitely an exacerbation of negative perceptions of migrants, and ethnic and religious minorities, with the current economic crisis," said Georgina Siklossy, spokeswoman at the European Network Against Racism, formed by campaign groups from 26 countries.

"It's become common to accuse migrants and ethnic minorities of stealing jobs, benefiting from social services and abusing the welfare state," she said.

Pan-European figures on racism are hard to come by, due to differences in definitions and reporting among national authorities. Support for openly racist or anti-immigration politicians is on the rise in several countries, however, and activists report a rise in hate crime and discrimination.

Greece, the country hardest hit by the euro zone crisis, has emerged with serious racism problems linked to the rise of the Golden Dawn party.

The Nazi-inspired movement saw its support rise from 0.3 percent in 2009 elections to 7 percent last year — winning 21 seats in parliament with the slogan: "So we can rid this land of filth."

Its black-shirted followers are blamed for several of the 154 incidents of racist violence documented last year by Greece's Racist Violence Recording Network, which was set up in 2011 with support from the United Nations' refugee agency.

In the latest high-profile case, a 14-year-old Afghan boy was left with severe facial scaring last week after a beating from a group of men dressed in black, one of whom attacked him with a broken bottle, Greek media reported.

“Democracy in Greece is seriously threatened by the upsurge of hate crime,” Nils Muiznieks, the Council of Europe's commissioner for human rights, said after a study visit to the country early this year.

"Rhetoric stigmatizing migrants is widely used in Greek politics."

Greece is a special case, says Ioannis Dimitrakopoulos, of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights, who rejects the idea of a generalized increase of racism across Europe resulting form the economic crisis.

"The economic crisis does feed into a variety of reactions and racism is one of them [but] it's quite localized and depends on specific local conditions," Dimitrakopoulos said from the agency's headquarters in Vienna. "The data we have does not indicate a general movement across Europe."

He points to the lack of a Greek-style backlash against migrants in Spain or Portugal, where the economic crisis has also taken a heavy toll.

In northern Europe, he says, anti-immigration parties have suffered losses in recent Dutch and Danish elections.

Traditionally a country that exported emigrants, Greece attracted an immigrant influx during good economic times in the 1990s and 2000s. Its location on Europe's southeastern flank has also made it an entry point for undocumented migrants and asylum-seekers from Asia, Africa and Middle East heading into the EU.

The sudden arrival of newcomers combined with the economic collapse since 2009 have created a perfect storm for racism to develop in Greece. But there are warnings the prolonged recession is whipping up prejudice against minorities elsewhere.

"In Europe we see rising intolerance; growing support for xenophobic and populist parties; discrimination," Italy's Foreign Minister Emma Bonino warned in speech this month.

"Fear and prejudice are being spread across Europe mainly by nationalistic and demagogic groups, who are exploiting the current malaise and social despair," Bonino told a conference on the state of the European Union.

Data published last year by the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights showed ethnic minorities face a high level of hate crime in countries across Europe.

Eighteen percent of sub-Saharan Africans and a similar number of Roma Gypsies suffered assault, threats or serious harassment, according to the agency's survey carried out in 2008 across the 27 EU nations.

Beyond far-right parties like Golden Dawn or Hungary's anti-Semitic Jobbik, anti-racism campaigner Siklossy says more established politicians are increasingly scapegoating migrants and minorities.

She says that ignores the positive contribution migrants make to European economies, particularly in countries where declining birthrates are leading to a growing number of pensioners dependent on a shrinking labor force.

Without new immigrants, the labor force would have contracted between 2000 and 2010 in Britain, Luxembourg and Italy, according to a report last year by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

Siklossy cites studies showing migrants in France make a net contribution of $15 billion to state tax revenues and that Germany's Turkish community adds $49 billion a year to the country's economy.

Fear of a black Europe: Racism rises on the Old Continent | GlobalPostFear of a black Europe: Racism rises on the Old Continent | GlobalPost

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,499 8,879 11,234
Alleybux
Racism on the rise in Europe? When did it ever end in Europe in the first place?

The EU is no way close to as racist as old Europe was. But its important to remember that bad economic times have a tendency to radicalize countries. Look at our own country. The tea party movement happened on the back of the great recession. This is what is fueling all the nonsense in Greece, Spain, and pretty much everywhere across the EU.

pamplemousse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,264 519 247
Alleybux
The EU is no way close to as racist as old Europe was. But its important to remember that bad economic times have a tendency to radicalize countries. Look at our own country. The tea party movement happened on the back of the great recession. This is what is fueling all the nonsense in Greece, Spain, and pretty much everywhere across the EU.

Europe was racist to blacks before and still racist today in good or bad economic times. All I'm saying is I'm not surprised. Southern and Eastern Europeans have always been known for taunting black soccer players by throwing banana peels at them and calling them the N word when their economies were booming so really you can't blame the economy.

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,499 8,879 11,234
Alleybux
Europe was racist to blacks before and still racist today in good or bad economic times. All I'm saying is I'm not surprised. Southern and Eastern Europeans have always been known for taunting black soccer players by throwing banana peels at them and calling them the N word when their economies were booming so really you can't blame the economy.

Trust me, I get it. I'm saying that the sh!tty economy is making it worse. Right now, blame the foreigner is the thought of the day across the EU.

You Suck

Put LSA out of its misery
Reaction score
Reactions
37,890 2,426 1,196
Alleybux
As tensions rise in the world again stemmed from primitive ignorance, this hinders what is actually going on in the world..

Screen Siren

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,962 3,778 4,008
Alleybux
Food for thought: how many Black people on LSA have spewed the same ignorance against Hispanic immigrants?

Jasmine Benz

"Pick-Me" Hunter
Reaction score
Reactions
176,716 3,185 1,590
Alleybux
Racism on the rise in Europe? When did it ever end in Europe in the first place?
Thank you! Jews, blacks, gays...ain't nothing changed.

ETA: ok just read. Why when yt folks are broke they want to be mean to minorities. Damn! Don't make no sense

Lanacane

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,020 28 33
Alleybux
I think the point's getting a bit misconstrued here. The main difference between the New World's black population and Europe's is immigrant status. Of course, racism towards black people (African immigrants) exists in Europe but comparing it to American racism towards black people (rooted in slave history) doesn't really correlate. I think a better example would be to compare it to Americans' prejudice against immigrants (both legal and undocumented) in the bad economy.

I agree with the poster above that the horrible economy is exacerbating these feelings.

Green Forest

Blooming Again
Reaction score
Reactions
53,994 1,501 405
Alleybux
Well in England, the anti-migrant UKIP party has been polling numbers which may see it enter the Parliament.

It is really disgusting at how migrants get blamed for everything wrong when it is their nativist governments and bankers who royally messed their deregulated financial systems and government budgets! Hungary and Greece are really tragic with their xenophobia.

GOODY

Love your enemies
Reaction score
Reactions
74,972 41 45
Alleybux
Black people are waking up?? were they ever asleep? I don't know any black person who hasn't experienced some for of racial prejudice themselves or known someone who has.

And I've always been disgusted at some European county's refusal to tackle racism properly. They let their natives get away with all kinds of sh!t. Britain is far from perfect, but there is no other European country I would feel comfortable in as a black person.

GOODY

Love your enemies
Reaction score
Reactions
74,972 41 45
Alleybux
Well in England, the anti-migrant UKIP party has been polling numbers which may see it enter the Parliament.

It is really disgusting at how migrants get blamed for everything wrong when it is their nativist governments and bankers who royally messed their deregulated financial systems and government budgets! Hungary and Greece are really tragic with their xenophobia.
That is true, but keep in mind those supporting Ukip don't want anyone coming here, that includes other (white) Europeans they believe are taking all their jobs. In reality very few black and Asian immigrants/ asylum seekers are coming here.

31savage

Like a $avage
Reaction score
Reactions
89,642 2,710 4,840
Alleybux
you think europeans would have learned that scapegoating minorities has never gotten them very far. it must be a hard reality to deal with that your race isn't a great as you thought it was .. they are just hurt

farwest44

Living the Good Life
Reaction score
Reactions
1,560 5
Alleybux
When has racism ever ended anywhere on the planet?

pamplemousse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,264 519 247
Alleybux
I think the point's getting a bit misconstrued here. The main difference between the New World's black population and Europe's is immigrant status. Of course, racism towards black people (African immigrants) exists in Europe but comparing it to American racism towards black people (rooted in slave history) doesn't really correlate. I think a better example would be to compare it to Americans' prejudice against immigrants (both legal and undocumented) in the bad economy.

I agree with the poster above that the horrible economy is exacerbating these feelings.

Not really a good comparison. Most of these African immigrants are from countries that were colonized by the European countries that they go to for work. It's just reverse colonization.

Lanacane

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,020 28 33
Alleybux
Not really a good comparison. Most of these African immigrants are from countries that were colonized by the European countries that they go to for work. It's just reverse colonization.
Eh, I'm talking recent history. I'm sure everyone could go back to colonization, including certain nations in Europe to justify certain actions. That really wouldn't yield any concrete answers for current discrimination.

theteaspiller

la muddafuccin princessa
Reaction score
Reactions
12,206 582 196
Alleybux
Not remotely. You can't compare the violence and inhumane treatment they inflicted on African countries to immigrants simply wanting to get a job and earning a living to support themselves and their families. It's far, far, faaaaaaar from "reverse colonisation".

theteaspiller

la muddafuccin princessa
Reaction score
Reactions
12,206 582 196
Alleybux
Eh, I'm talking recent history. I'm sure everyone could go back to colonization, including certain nations in Europe to justify certain actions. That really wouldn't yield any concrete answers for current discrimination.
Well, how long ago was slavery and how long ago were colonized countries still grappling with their colonizers? Nigeria only gained independence in 1960 -- same decade as the civil rights protests. Colonization (and it's after-effects) wasn't that long ago.

Lanacane

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,020 28 33
Alleybux
Well, how long ago was slavery and how long ago were colonized countries still grappling with their colonizers? Nigeria only gained independence in 1960 -- same decade as the civil rights protests. Colonization (and it's after-effects) wasn't that long ago.
I agree with you. But in this case, I think race is only a symptom of a larger issue: the failing economy. When resources are compromised in a country, it can lead to "us" against "them" mentalities - whether it's race, class or all of the above. Nationalism in these cases can lead to racism, etc. but the root problem's still lack of resources.

And also, the article's not on colonization of Africa. It's on CURRENT race trends in Europe, which history does play an important role, but you also can't discount what's been happening in the last current years.

And if you also wanted to get into Africa, the same type of discrimination happens within Nigeria and other countries between ethnic groups over who's controlling natural resources. Yes, colonization plays a part. However, the distribution of resources is a HUGE factor in why this is happening.

theteaspiller

la muddafuccin princessa
Reaction score
Reactions
12,206 582 196
Alleybux
I agree with you. But in this case, I think race is only a symptom of a larger issue: the failing economy. When resources are compromised in a country, it can lead to "us" against "them" mentalities - whether it's race, class or all of the above. Nationalism in these cases can lead to racism, etc. but the root problem's still lack of resources.

And also, the article's not on colonization of Africa. It's on CURRENT race trends in Europe, which history does play an important role, but you also can't discount what's been happening in the last current years.

And if you also wanted to get into Africa, the same type of discrimination happens within Nigeria and other countries between ethnic groups over who's controlling natural resources. Yes, colonization plays a part. However, the distribution of resources is a HUGE factor in why this is happening.
I agree. I think it's always a symptom of something else tbh. Whether it's economics or just inherent fear/insecurity.

Eddie Burke

Donkey Killer
Reaction score
Reactions
5,566 847 2,459
Alleybux
occupy wall street was more vitalized by economic times than tea party (which is more concerned about debt).

Belqis

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,615 34 13
Alleybux
Black people are waking up?? were they ever asleep? I don't know any black person who hasn't experienced some for of racial prejudice themselves or known someone who has.

And I've always been disgusted at some European county's refusal to tackle racism properly. They let their natives get away with all kinds of sh!t. Britain is far from perfect, but there is no other European country I would feel comfortable in as a black person.

Go into some of those Paula Deen threads!

Open racism (as nationalism) is becoming more accepted, but Europeans haven't changed.... they've always been racist....

Magnify

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
37 2 10
Alleybux
ETA: ok just read. Why when yt folks are broke they want to be mean to minorities. Damn! Don't make no sense

Give the name of the non-European countries where illegal immigrants or minority ethnic groups and other assorted foreigners don't face xenophobia or violence.

Magnify

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
37 2 10
Alleybux
If LSA quits thirsting and lusting after European white men maybe you wouldn't have to worry so much xenophobia. Instead you could worry about xenophobia in Africa or Asia.

minalala

The kunty kunty kunty ONE
Reaction score
Reactions
989 160 23
Alleybux

Exactly. When I graduate school, I'm definitely going to move there. Germans act funny with blacks.

LillyBaySon

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
339 31 182
Alleybux

I heard even white europeans have tensions with one another. I have family in Spain and they tell me Spanish people are even against white foreigners from other European countries and want Spain for Spanish people only

I think the concept of white unity is more of an American thing and europeans are more nationalist

I have seen videos of Spanish people discriminating against British, Russians, Romanians, Germans, and of course also people of color

Quarzo

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
614 71 27
Alleybux
I heard even white europeans have tensions with one another. I have family in Spain and they tell me Spanish people are even against white foreigners from other European countries and want Spain for Spanish people only

I think the concept of white unity is more of an American thing and europeans are more nationalist

I have seen videos of Spanish people discriminating against British, Russians, Romanians, Germans, and of course also people of color
Barcelona

bcn-turistas_5_570x340.jpeg

Spaniards discriminate against each other.

Millennial91

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
657 109 385
Alleybux
Call me the bad guy but:

It is quite understandable. They are being forced to concede to far left ideologies and integration. I see where many of them are coming from. Some people do not want to live in mixed races societies and be forced into accepting ppl who are nothing like them. I myself would have preferred segregation or even Black ppl receiving a chunk of North America for ourselves. In fact there is still a way we can do it.

Mind you, they have been clashing with Middle Easterners and etc for thousands of years so them feeling some type of way is expected.

Now here is where I stand on this....you reap what you sow. Lmao.

Last edited: