Quantcast

Female singers... Who's A-list? B-list? C-list? D-list? Etc. Let's talk about it.

Dettol

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,797 797 269
Alleybux
How would you tier female singers in terms of superstar status to the lowest status possible?

Think of the overall package. Not just the vocals. Not just the hits. Not just the sales. Not just their longevity? Etc. Consider everything.

Let me start off and we'll keep the discussion going.

A-LIST
Countless big hits (usually includes at least a few that went #1). Iconic singles that everyone knows. A #1 HOT 100 hit that went number and was EVERYWHERE/ALMOST EVERYWHERE . Minimum... 2 classic albums. International success. Several #1 albums. They have sold (or have/had the ability to sell) at least one diamond album. They have many Grammies, VMAs, AMAs, and other Accolades. They probably already have, or are will soon receive some sort of lifetime achievement award. They have broken records and hold on to or have held on big music records that are difficult to achieve. Memorable moments in music and have influenced many others that came after. Etc. They have prestigious achievements that others probably never achieved and probably never will (I.e. Received the presidential medal of freedom, sang for presidential inaugurations, is known as a major cultural pop icon) their music, fashion, voice etc. defined a generation/era, they usually have an honorific title ("queen of pop" God father of soul") etc.

Examples: Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Madonna, and Aretha Franklin.

(Now B-list going fwd can get a bit tricky...)

B-LIST

Lots of big hits, and at. They have a decent amount of awards in their mantle. They have at least one Hot 100 #1 or came extremely close to getting a #1 song and/or album on many occasions. They dont have the ability to sell a diamond/near diamond album more than 2 times, but can sell multi-platinum albums more than twice (3x plat, 4x plat etc). Some of these artist at times have shown they can hang/compete with the A-listers during certain points in their careers, but at are B-listers when you look at their career as a whole.

Examples: Mary J. Blige, Toni Braxton, Anita Baker, Sade

C-LIST
They have big name recognition in thier core genre of music and mild success in the world of pop (I.E. singer that would b a heavy weight in R&B, but not so much on the pop albums/singles charts. They have some songs that crossed over to being big pop hits though.. Possibly a #1 here or there, but they are s which mid or some pop success on a pop-star level. If at all, they are primarly at the BET/Soul Train-level in terms or awards recognition... and maybe one or very few Grammy-level, AMA, VMA-level recognition in their career.

D-LIST
Their known mainly in the genre by some, but not all. They could have possibly have one big or a few hits in their core genre (but it's mainly some rnb success they are have achieved.

How would you tier female singers, past and present? Who's is A-List and what is the criteria to be an A-List? Titles associated with tiers to help with rankings (International superstar > Superstar > Popular > Known in their genre but not in overall in the world of pop > Some that listen to their core genre of music they make know the artist, etc.).

Is Beyonce A-list or B-list?
Rihanna?
Adele?
Alicia Keys
Sade?
Celine?
Monica?
Faith Evans?
Brandy?
Ciara?
Kelly Price?
Britney?
Christina?
Patti?
Gladys?
Dionne?
Shania?
Jody Watley?
Lauryn Hill?
Erykah?
Jill?

etc.

Last edited:

I_AM_DELIVERT

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,466 551 158
Alleybux
A List: Mariah, Whitney, Patti, Aretha, Gladys, Diana, Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney, Adele, Celine....I think Sade would be here too.

B List: Alicia, Mary, Toni, Brandy, Christina

C List: Faith, Monica, Ciara

Lumiere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,112 318 92
Alleybux
A List: Mariah, Whitney, Patti, Aretha, Gladys, Diana, Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney, Adele, Celine....I think Sade would be here too.

B List: Alicia, Mary, Toni, Brandy, Christina

C List: Faith, Monica, Ciara

I agree. Although at one time Brandy was an A List celebrity she just fell off after her pregnancy ruining her "Americas Black sweetheart" image.

Lumiere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,112 318 92
Alleybux
I don't feel like we have any current A List singers for the age group of 30 and under. Rihanna is the only exception. Everyone else falls under B.

Sumeria

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,702 2,339 756
Alleybux
A List :
Whitney, Mariah, Madonna, Celine, Kate Bush, Sade, Kylie Minogue, Beyonce, Rhianna, Britney Spears, Ronnie Spector(if her career wasn't stolen)

B List :
Alicia Keys, Brandy, Christina A, Tracey Chapman, Lauryn Hill, Pink, Katy Pery

C List: Ashanti, Ciara, Lady Gaga, Mya, JoJo, Spice Girls,

Last edited:

caeli

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,724 203 75
Alleybux
A: Whitney Houston, Jennifer Hudson, Rihanna, Tina Turner, Beyonce, Aretha, Diana Ross, Nina Simone

B: Mary J Blige, Janet Jackson, Anita Baker, Lauren Hill, Erykah Badu, Nikki Minaj, Anita Baker

C: Ciara, Monica, Toni Braxton, Brandy, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez

ForumsStaySpilling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,360 3,305 944
Alleybux
A-List (longevity, acclaim, worldwide/mainstream appeal, everything): Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney Spears, Adele, Barbara Striesand.

B-List (had several hits/eras, but either did not have enough longevity, or not as international/mainstream): Donna Summer, Gladys Knight, Patti Labelle, Alicia Keys, Mary J Blige, Toni Braxton, Brandy, Aaliyah, Christina Aguilera, Monica, Erykah Badu, P!nk, Taylor Swift, Sade, Cher, Olivia Newton-John.

C-List (had little longevity, have to prove themselves, has some hits, 2 eras mainly known for, tend to be forgotten within time, consists of some fads): Faith Evans, Ashanti, Monica (might move to B-list), Lauryn Hill, Paula Abdul, Ciara, Jennifer Lopez, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga (might move to B-list), Ariana Grande (will probably be B-list within time), Mya, Jody Watley, Debbie Gibson, Jessica Simpson, Miley Cyrus.

Last edited:

slimkid93

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,428 167 38
Alleybux
Disclaimer : this list is based on how the careers of these singers have panned out and where they are now. It is what it is.

A List
Beyonce, Celine Dion, Adele, Mariah Carey, Diana Ross, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Tina Turner, Barbara Streisand, Alicia Keys, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Cher.

Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, Amy Winehouse.

B List
Janet Jackson, Lana Del Ray, Kelly Clarkson, Sade, Jennifer Hudson, Ciara, Mary J Blige, Anita Baker, Chaka Khan, Toni Braxton, Kelly Rowland, Ariana Grande, Zendaya, Christina Aguilera, Janelle Monae, Jill Scott, Missy Elliot, Lady Gaga, P!NK, Solange.

C List
Teyana Taylor, Cassie, Demi Lovato, Ashanti, Patti Labelle, Monica, Brandy, Avril Lavigne, Estelle, Glady's Knight, Amber Riley, Tamar Braxton, Letoya Luckett, Leona Lewis, Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, Kandi Burrus, Selena Gomez, Faith Evans, Katy Perry, Fantasia.

D List
Jojo, Kelly Price, India Arie, Amerie, K Michelle, Keke Palmer, Jazmine Sullivan.

Last edited:

Barbie and Bey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,815 6,027 1,471
Alleybux
A List: Beyoncé, Adele, Rihanna, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Aretha Franklin, Cher, Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand Janet Jackson, Tina Turner, Britney Spears, Brandy, Christina Aguilera & Donna Summers

B List: Ariana Grande, Mary J. Blige, Cyndi Lauper, Alicia Keys, P!nk, Toni Braxton, Gloria Estefan, Monica, Olivia Newton-John, Gladys Knight, Aaliyah & Patti LaBelle

C List: Keyshia Cole, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Ciara, Selena Gomez, Etta James, Ashanti, Jessie J, Mya & Teena Mari

D List: K. Michelle, Tori Kelly, Jazmine Sullivan, Tamia, Faith Evans, Joss Stone, Tamar Braxton & Jojo

Last edited:

Lumiere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,112 318 92
Alleybux
Disclaimer : this list is based on how the careers of these singers have panned out and where they are now. It is what it is.

A List
Beyonce, Celine Dion, Adele, Mariah Carey, Diana Ross, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Tina Turner, Barbara Streisand, Alicia Keys, Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Cher.

B List
Janet Jackson, Lana Del Ray, Kelly Clarkson, Sade, Jennifer Hudson, Ciara, Mary J Blige, Anita Baker, Chaka Khan, Toni Braxton, Kelly Rowland, Ariana Grande, Zendaya, Christina Aguilera, Janelle Monae, Jill Scott, Missy Elliot, Lady Gaga, P!NK, Solange.

C List
Teyana Taylor, Cassie, Demi Lovato, Ashanti, Patti Labelle, Monica, Brandy, Avril Lavigne, Estelle, Glady's Knight, Amber Riley, Tamar Braxton, Letoya Luckett, Leona Lewis, Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, Kandi Burrus, Selena Gomez, Faith Evans, Katy Perry, Fantasia.

D List
Jojo, Kelly Price, India Arie, Amerie, K Michelle, Keke Palmer, Jazmine Sullivan.

How is Cassie C List when no one buys/ streams her music?

Jmills

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,314 5,851 2,833
Alleybux
This is silly bc u can be a lost for a whole decade, but career can tank, bit your name still rings bells. Perfect example is Toni, who is no where as big as she was during the 90s, but she still wins awards at the grammys, and turns heads on red carpets. So Celine Dion gets to be a list bc???give Toni a few major award performances of her greatest hits and say she's going to Vegas, those tickets would be doing decent numbers. Bc Celine last hit was 2002amd 2000 for Toni. And what's funny is how she is too 20 on the rnb charts, but not charting on billboard.

Barbie and Bey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,815 6,027 1,471
Alleybux
This is silly bc u can be a lost for a whole decade, but career can tank, bit your name still rings bells. Perfect example is Toni, who is no where as big as she was during the 90s, but she still wins awards at the grammys, and turns heads on red carpets. So Celine Dion gets to be a list bc???give Toni a few major award performances of her greatest hits and say she's going to Vegas, those tickets would be doing decent numbers. Bc Celine last hit was 2002amd 2000 for Toni. And what's funny is how she is too 20 on the rnb charts, but not charting on billboard.

Agreed!!! It’s hard to rate the likes of Toni Braxton Brandy & a few others as B, C or D List artist because those women are amongst the best selling female artist of all time. They may not sell well now but those credentials can never be taken away from them.

Last edited:

ForumsStaySpilling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,360 3,305 944
Alleybux
Agreed!!! It’s hard to rate the likes of Toni Braxton Brandy & a few others B, C or D List artist because those women are amongst the best selling female artist of all time. They may not sell well now but those credentials can never be taken away from them.

That is definitely the trouble. How some of these artists remained visible way past their peak affects things, because at least people still remember them, over people who had the same success and peak, but essentially remained out of the public eye. Also, translating to different generations through digital sales and streaming do play some sort of part, but it's hard to put it all together. Influence is a big one too.

KAZIVA

The Devil Is My Friend
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
69,494 3,888 6,972
Alleybux
A List :
Whitney, Mariah, Madonna, Celine, Kate Bush, Sade, Kylie Minogue, Beyonce, Rhianna, Britney Spears, Ronnie Spector

B List :
Alicia Keys, Brandy, Christina A, Tracey Chapman, Lauryn Hill, Pink,

C List: Ashanti, Ciara, Lady Gaga, Mya, JoJo, Spice Girls,
Spice girls and gaga at their peak were definitely bigger than Sade or Lauryn or Spector or even Kate bush.
You're confused.

FrenchToast92

½ Haitian ½ Nigerian ½ Suburban Pisces
Reaction score
Reactions
28,396 440 240
Alleybux
Man someone put Zendaya in the B list? I'm confused snce when is she a multi platinum artist?

Sumeria

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,702 2,339 756
Alleybux
Spice girls and gaga at their peak were definitely bigger than Sade or Lauryn or Spector or even Kate bush.
You're confused.

Sade and Kate Bush have longevity, Lauryn Hill is going down in history as 1 of the greatest. I choose Ronnie because she would've been A list if her career wasn't stolen.
As mush as I love the Spice Girls their music and no credibility. Lady Gaga has fallen off and her music doesn't have credibility, I think in the future she will be seen as a gimmick.
Also, I'm not American so I have a different perspective.

Safelyup

God is Good
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
244,646 35,949 54,822
Alleybux

A List

B List

C List

D List

Keke is not a singer she is an actress. She sings on the side. She isnt signed to a record label.

Dettol

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,797 797 269
Alleybux
Ariana Is a list.
I respectfully disagree.

IMO... There are a few B-listers that I believe were projected to be an A-lister but it didn't happen for whatever reason, and probably won't. (Examples include: Chris Brown, Brandy, En Vogue)

Or another scenario would be a B-lister that is definitely a B-lister overall when you look at their resume, but they have shown potential and/or strong signs on more than one occasion (nnot a fluke) of being able to complete with the A-list crowd at times (I. E. Toni Braxton, R Kelly, Donna Summer ) (I believe Ariana is this type of B-lister).

For those that follow basketball, a player like Carmelo Anthony fits the first scenario. And Mitch Richmond fits scenario 2)

PhooeyNewton

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
173,521 8,410 8,242
Alleybux
Y'all gon hate me, but here is my assessment of the millennial generation. (yeah I'm adding guys too)

A List: Beyonce, Rihanna, Kanye West, Drake, Adele, Taylor Swift (maybe), Britney Spears, Shakira, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, The Weeknd, Bruno Mars.

B List: Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Chris Brown, Ariana Grande, the Black Eyed Peas, Alicia Keys, Usher, Ed Sheeran, P!nk, Justin Bieber, Childish Gambino.

C List: Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguilera, Pussycat Dolls, Solange, SZA, Kesha, Janelle Monae, Miguel, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Sia.

Illyria

Madam Marilyn DeVille
Reaction score
Reactions
54,121 1,764 975
Alleybux
I know I did NOT just see someone put Taylor Swift in the B-list. Some of you on this site are truly delusional lol. I'm groaning on site anyone that have her anywhere else BUT A-list :disdain

And this is a genuine question for those who put her on there (not trying to argue or debate but I'm seriously curious) but...

why do you think Lauryn Hill is B-list or under??? She's a certifiable and undeniable legend and definitely A-list IMO. She legit made one of the best albums of all-time as her only solo album.

DC100

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,580 607 637
Alleybux
They all have more money than me whatever list they’re on, that’s all I know!

ForumsStaySpilling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,360 3,305 944
Alleybux
I should have put Taylor in the A-List (wanted to wait a bit to see how this era did).

It is funny that a bunch of people are groaning everyone, but won't dare post their own lists.

CubanBuggzBunny

Hypergamy, a women’s guide to self preservation
Reaction score
Reactions
121,683 4,442 2,611
Alleybux
Honestly very few artist are actually A-list.

Beyoncé, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry are most def A-list celebrities.

B-list artist:
Meek Mills,
Rick Ross
Kelly Rowland
Megan The Stallion

Most artist are B list. Having longevity doesn’t make you A-list. A-list is about having pop culture value/impact and very few artist have that power. Ex: Christina Aguilera been around forever and at one point was A-list but her star power has dwindled. She not selling albums, she can’t do sold out Arena tours anymore.

C-list:
(Reality Stars & Most rappers)

D-list:
(IG influencers)

I_AM_DELIVERT

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,466 551 158
Alleybux
I know I did NOT just see someone put Taylor Swift in the B-list. Some of you on this site are truly delusional lol. I'm groaning on site anyone that have her anywhere else BUT A-list :disdain

And this is a genuine question for those who put her on there (not trying to argue or debate but I'm seriously curious) but...

why do you think Lauryn Hill is B-list or under??? She's a certifiable and undeniable legend and definitely A-list IMO. She legit made one of the best albums of all-time as her only solo album.

Lack of longevity

I_AM_DELIVERT

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,466 551 158
Alleybux

Lack of longevity

Brucilla

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
261,887 4,359 3,302
Alleybux
Oh... I came in thinking that you were asking female singers to rate the singing ability of the various singers out there.

I'll see my way out because y'all have the current subject covered pretty well.

PhooeyNewton

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
173,521 8,410 8,242
Alleybux

In terms of Lauren, her precise fault is that she only made one album. One of the features of legend is the ability to re-emerge while maintaining relevance.

In terms of Taylor, she has massive numbers yet there's a huge disconnect to wider audiences. I know you're a big fan, but I have never met anyone express love for a Taylor record. Further, I've never heard her music anywhere outside of a radio and certainly not at a club.

Is Taylor just a well-marketed product who is just a contemporary great white hope?

Dean Winchester

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
348,600 10,296 2,102
Alleybux
Honestly very few artist are actually A-list.

Beyoncé, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry are most def A-list celebrities.

B-list artist:
Meek Mills,
Rick Ross
Kelly Rowland
Megan The Stallion

Most artist are B list. Having longevity doesn’t make you A-list. A-list is about having pop culture value/impact and very few artist have that power. Ex: Christina Aguilera been around forever and at one point was A-list but her star power has dwindled. She not selling albums, she can’t do sold out Arena tours anymore.

C-list:
(Reality Stars & Most rappers)

D-list:
(IG influencers)

Thread says female singers.

caeli

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,724 203 75
Alleybux
A: Whitney Houston, Jennifer Hudson, Rihanna, Tina Turner, Beyonce, Aretha, Diana Ross, Nina Simone

B: Mary J Blige, Janet Jackson, Anita Baker, Lauren Hill, Erykah Badu, Nikki Minaj, Anita Baker

C: Ciara, Monica, Toni Braxton, Brandy, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Now why have I got skepticals and not hugs? Y'all don't make no auto tune sense.

Somebody put males... they get thanks.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Someone put people that can't sing..smh:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

the musicman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,418 1,122 1,076
Alleybux
How would you tier female singers in terms of superstar status to the lowest status possible?

Think of the overall package. Not just the vocals. Not just the hits. Not just the sales. Not just their longevity? Etc. Consider everything.

Let me start off and we'll keep the discussion going.

A-LIST
Countless big hits (usually includes at least a few that went #1). Iconic singles that everyone knows. A #1 HOT 100 hit that went number and was EVERYWHERE/ALMOST EVERYWHERE . Minimum... 2 classic albums. International success. Several #1 albums. They have sold (or have/had the ability to sell) at least one diamond album. They have many Grammies, VMAs, AMAs, and other Accolades. They probably already have, or are will soon receive some sort of lifetime achievement award. They have broken records and hold on to or have held on big music records that are difficult to achieve. Memorable moments in music and have influenced many others that came after. Etc. They have prestigious achievements that others probably never achieved and probably never will (I.e. Received the presidential medal of freedom, sang for presidential inaugurations, is known as a major cultural pop icon) their music, fashion, voice etc. defined a generation/era, they usually have an honorific title ("queen of pop" God father of soul") etc.

Examples: Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Madonna, and Aretha Franklin.

(Now B-list going fwd can get a bit tricky...)

B-LIST

Lots of big hits, and at. They have a decent amount of awards in their mantle. They have at least one Hot 100 #1 or came extremely close to getting a #1 song and/or album on many occasions. They dont have the ability to sell a diamond/near diamond album more than 2 times, but can sell multi-platinum albums more than twice (3x plat, 4x plat etc). Some of these artist at times have shown they can hang/compete with the A-listers during certain points in their careers, but at are B-listers when you look at their career as a whole.

Examples: Mary J. Blige, Toni Braxton, Anita Baker, Sade

C-LIST
They have big name recognition in thier core genre of music and mild success in the world of pop (I.E. singer that would b a heavy weight in R&B, but not so much on the pop albums/singles charts. They have some songs that crossed over to being big pop hits though.. Possibly a #1 here or there, but they are s which mid or some pop success on a pop-star level. If at all, they are primarly at the BET/Soul Train-level in terms or awards recognition... and maybe one or very few Grammy-level, AMA, VMA-level recognition in their career.

D-LIST
Their known mainly in the genre by some, but not all. They could have possibly have one big or a few hits in their core genre (but it's mainly some rnb success they are have achieved.

How would you tier female singers, past and present? Who's is A-List and what is the criteria to be an A-List? Titles associated with tiers to help with rankings (International superstar > Superstar > Popular > Known in their genre but not in overall in the world of pop > Some that listen to their core genre of music they make know the artist, etc.).

Is Beyonce A-list or B-list?
Rihanna?
Adele?
Alicia Keys
Sade?
Celine?
Monica?
Faith Evans?
Brandy?
Ciara?
Kelly Price?
Britney?
Christina?
Patti?
Gladys?
Dionne?
Shania?
Jody Watley?
Lauryn Hill?
Erykah?
Jill?

etc.
very A listers give me Aretha, Ella ,gladys whitney, chaka,diana,Bessie and Mahalia,

Dettol

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,797 797 269
Alleybux
Pink is A list. She’s doing stadiums 20 years in.
Pink is cool and yes she has been putting in work, but there is no way she is the same international superstar tier A as the Janet's and Madonna's of the world.

IMO, she is on a tier just below (which isn't a bad thing at all) with artists like Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilera.

Last edited:

Redd_Blitz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
19,518 2,294 3,974
Alleybux
Bottom line, this all depends on taste, opinion, and certainly which era one derives from. Those from previous generations, especially, would ultimately laugh at what's ranked as "A" list when it comes to artists and singing now. Not to mention, there isn't a whole lot of diversity out there. Everything out either basically sounds the same, or just simply copies with not an ounce of creativity and originality.

IndigoGem

Stop hating on Geminis!
Reaction score
Reactions
64,732 1,883 248
Alleybux
Most of the lists I've read in the thread are accurate, so I won't bother re-listing what's already been said, but I did laugh at Janet being on the B list in the some of the comments. Janet is a legend and an icon. She's influenced generations of artists male and female. She's been honored on award shows several times. She's a Rock & Roll Hall of Famer. Plus her family is music royalty. She's permanently on the A list. Come on, use your common sense.