"Ferguson Hug" Photo Staged, Cropped

InayaSerwa

Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
42,620 664 151
Alleybux
tumblr_inline_nfz30dpXeB1t5fske.jpg

From Alex Riedlinger, a photographer in Portland, Oregon who was at the protest the day of the infamous “Ferguson hug” between Devonte Hart, a 12 year old Black boy, and Brett Barnum, a white police officer:

"Here are the images of Devonte I took. The first depicts him and his guardian just prior to him approaching the officer, in my mind she seems to be coaching him though the picture does not imply this. The second was taken just before the hug and you can see as a crowd and captive audience is starting to form.

tumblr_inline_nfz31eY0mF1t5fske.jpg

tumblr_inline_nfz31qaNeM1t5fske.jpg

Here is a copy of what i [Alex Riedlinger] wrote earlier regarding the image of the hug circulating:

"The cropping of an image is everything when it comes to its subjectivity and the way ideas are projected unto it.

Every picture I’ve seen of this crops out the circus of photographers that surrounded these two creating a captive audience. With such a captive audience I can’t really say that the officer did anything that his superiors wouldn’t have told him to do. They were there just as much for public relations as to keep the peace otherwise the dept. wouldn’t have sent every queer looking, POC and female cop on the force.

The way this image has been propagandized is highly disturbing to me because it distracts from the real issues. This has never been about the relationship between individual officers and young Black men, but about the way in which our institutions and society protect cops, granting them license to use lethal force in ANY circumstance. Whether they do use it or decide to demonstrate “love” is irrelevant.”

I would like to add that Devonte was crying before approaching the officer while he was talking to his guardian, presumably because he was terrified. This brings the question of coercion to my mind, but I’ll let ya’ll debate over it.”

It reminds me of this quote:
The fact the black folks can still hope is astounding to me… There is a human spirit… a collective spirit that can STILL be optimistic in the belly of the beast.. Like the beast isn’t trying to eat us… IT ATE US ALREADY.. and we still manage to hope… You can’t get more human than that…

A baby rabbit hugging a fox...

sportstalk23

The Ceiling Is The Roof
Reaction score
Reactions
1,005,415 19,297 928
Alleybux
Frankly people can keep their Hallmark moments hugs and tears, how about ditch the racist policies do that. Where is this kid's parents that they have him deluded about the ways of the world, all these people oohing and awing knowing full well if that cop saw that kid in any other situation he would draw his gun too

KELIS

Little Star
Reaction score
Reactions
6,219 130 34
Alleybux
I legit thought that when I first saw the picture. It was just TOO easy.

Louise Belcher

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,280 558 323
Alleybux
I have said it once and I will say it again:

I worked for Portland Dispatch and this dude is a rude, racist, piece of warmed garbage. He would always say slick sh!t about me and this other black guy I worked with.

I'm sick of seeing this picture.

mistadon

Fly Korean
Reaction score
Reactions
128 10 5
Alleybux
A photo can always be a manipulation of the true moment.

JaneDoe2030

smokin cigarettes not payin my bills
Reaction score
Reactions
238,393 15,473 2,521
Alleybux
This picture didn't mean sh!t to me I could already tell this was set up. It's more disturbing to me than "heart warming."

That_Wench

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,723 1,335 225
Alleybux
So, wait a minute. Let's think critically about this.

Is this woman his legal guardian? The white woman with a dog? She is the legal guardian of a black child, and she forced him to approach a police man--someone he was afraid of--and hug him? She exploited this child's fear to advance the notion of "oneness" while reinforcing his fear of police.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Cranberry Juice

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
232 5 5
Alleybux
that hug did not move me at all. the child's emotions were real but the expression on the cop's face was emotionless

cmc1974

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
27,934 73 29
Alleybux
I don't really want to feed into this but real talk, when I first saw that picture I said to myself is he really supposed to be 12???

Terry Mcginnis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,457 1,576 908
Alleybux
This is the photo I keep hearing about on the radio; it looks too manufactured to be genuine.

InayaSerwa

Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
42,620 664 151
Alleybux

Is this woman his legal guardian? The white woman with a dog? She is the legal guardian of a black child, and she forced him to approach a police man--someone he was afraid of--and hug him? She exploited this child's fear to advance the notion of "oneness" while reinforcing his fear of police.

I have no idea but you could be right.
It's insane when you think about it.

Bella Goth

Mortimer's Hoe
Reaction score
Reactions
102,845 4,499 3,623
Alleybux
Everything's a lie and people are so quick to believe. There's so much deception and evil in this world.

Peanut Gallery

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,458 3,495 931
Alleybux
duh it was used to paint a better picture of the police. maybe the cop really did gave a hug of it out the kindness of his heart, but he also knew what he was doing. it wasn't completely genuine.

janedoe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
207,247 1,062 420
Alleybux
Wow, something in my intuition made me uneasy about this picture, so I stayed away from it. Guess my intuition was right.

Mrs McGorry

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,012 9 2
Alleybux
While that photo does not tug at my feels like some others, the presence of photographers and audience does not necessarily mean it was staged.

When I was on the ground in Ferguson I took this picture.

nlwqxk.jpg

Another one was taken by the professional photographers of this lady and the cop hugging and made the media rounds. (Found an article with it)

Remorseful Ferguson Cop Hugs Protester Who Asked Why Police Hate African Americans

October 17, 2014 3:50 am·

Earlier this week in Ferguson, Missouri, a Moral Monday protester was seen holding a sign at the rallies for Mike Brown that said YOU ARE KILLING US, in huge letters. The other side of her sign read “DON’T SHOOT”.
The activist identifying herself as “Sister Dragonfly,” carried the sign in protest of the killing of the unarmed African American teenager, that happened back on August 9th.

Sister Dragonfly approached a Ferguson officer and held up the sign, but the officer continuously looked away. Finally, she yelled out that he should make eye contact with her and look at the sign.
Silently, the officer looked at her, but he seemed unable to say anything to defend the actions of Ferguson area police officers who have been cracking down on peaceful protesters of the Mike Brown shooting by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.
“Why do you all hate us so much?” Dragonfly pleaded, asking why the Ferguson and St. Louis area police officers seem to hate members of the African American community.
But the officer replied, “I don’t hate you, ma’am.”

Obviously surprised by the answer, she said: “I don’t want to hate you, I’d rather hug you.”
The officer who seemed to feel remorse for the racist behavior of so many fellow officers said simply: “Then hug me.”
Dragonfly then put her arms around the officer and the two hugged for nearly a minute.

That was not a staged moment. The woman walked up to the cop on her own while no one was paying attention, and started talking to him and crying. As she was talking, people started to notice and the media all ran over and crowded around and ended up capturing the encounter on camera.

That's what they do out there at these marches and actions. The media looks for spontaneous moments like that to report about and they jump on them. I'm not saying for certain that the boy and cop wasn't staged, because I wasn't there. I'm just saying that media being cropped out of the photo is not evidence of staging. It could just mean they didn't want a circle of cameras and other reporters in the photo when they published it.

Naya Rivera

Santana Lopez
Reaction score
Reactions
58,430 6,207 454
Alleybux
Devonte emotions were real, but his guardian manipulated his emotions for personal satisfaction and media exposure.

Butterflyj82

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
440,691 28,911 1,299
Alleybux
I don't really want to feed into this but real talk, when I first saw that picture I said to myself is he really supposed to be 12???

I didnt want to say it but I was thinking that was a little older person he doesnt look 12 at all

MrsWarren

Boss Up
Reaction score
Reactions
18,684 287 69
Alleybux
Chile... I knew it was fake. It was too convinient. Even it was real one picture does not make up for all the sh*t the police has put innocent black men & women through.

I still say F*CK THE POLICE.

PKCorey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,864 1,971 232
Alleybux

I believe, she adopted him and his siblings. No surprise, she is a progressive. It fits her agenda.

LaPriya Prim

Talented Tenth Socialite
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
431,932 12,520 2,527
Alleybux
The pic never moved me. I saw right through it when it appeared on my fb feed.

PinkPancakes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,271 2,776 141
Alleybux
It didn't take me a full second to look at the photo to know it was just smoke and mirrors. Just another show to claim that the world is a "happy, peaceful place" with no more problems.

Lovingme1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,061 556 321
Alleybux
While that photo does not tug at my feels like some others, the presence of photographers and audience does not necessarily mean it was staged.

When I was on the ground in Ferguson I took this picture.

nlwqxk.jpg

Another one was taken by the professional photographers of this lady and the cop hugging and made the media rounds. (Found an article with it)

Remorseful Ferguson Cop Hugs Protester Who Asked Why Police Hate African Americans

October 17, 2014 3:50 am·

That was not a staged moment. The woman walked up to the cop on her own while no one was paying attention, and started talking to him and crying. As she was talking, people started to notice and the media all ran over and crowded around and ended up capturing the encounter on camera.

That's what they do out there at these marches and actions. The media looks for spontaneous moments like that to report about and they jump on them. I'm not saying for certain that the boy and cop wasn't staged, because I wasn't there. I'm just saying that media being cropped out of the photo is not evidence of staging. It could just mean they didn't want a circle of cameras and other reporters in the photo when they published it.

Very, very interesting read and perspective. Thank you for your personal story Nolan.

anomaly.

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
75,581 1,462 466
Alleybux

I worked for Portland Dispatch and this dude is a rude, racist, piece of warmed garbage. He would always say slick sh!t about me and this other black guy I worked with.

:coffee: there it is. I wasnt moved by the pic at all. "not all cops" :disdain:

Peanut Gallery

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,458 3,495 931
Alleybux

damn. i saw him doing an interview on tv today. caught about 20 seconds of it. he was in uniform, walkie talkie on his shoulder and all. i got bad vibes from him.

ICUWatchinMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,091 2,762 1,131
Alleybux
I knew something was fishy about this story. No black person would have been able to get this kind of media attention and photo op.

I also want to know why she has him dressed up as a little man. It furthers the narrative and perception that black children are "little adults" and don't have the same innocence that non-black children have.

AgnesGooch

Cool With You
Reaction score
Reactions
639,746 18,925 12,434
Alleybux

Yes that is exactly what happened. And I was uneasy about this picture from the get go. I feel sorry for that poor kid.

Shark

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,463 2 1
Alleybux

My thoughts exactly. We really need to get to the bottom of this.

Divakim89

Pretty On Fleek
Reaction score
Reactions
128,702 7,937 8,862
Alleybux
I don't care if he was hugging Martin Luther King Jr... I'd still spit in his face when I see him :arrogant: And GLADLY serve the time :arrogant:

Eta: Nevermind I thought this was that Wilson guy...carry on lol

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

devche

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
120 9 3
Alleybux
Welp...Satan is still Satan, is what you're telling us, OP? I knew it was fake too, y'all.

I had to get myself together for being disgusted by what looked like the little boy being overwhelmed at getting a hug from massa. Now, knowing his guardian might've forced him to do it, his tears make sense; but I'm even more disturbed.

Momma, daddy, somebody...out there protesting and just couldn't resist the urge for validation from yt..and using the child as a proxy? Great. Just f*cking great.

EDITED BECAUSE...Seeking clarity:
So, y'all are saying that the guardian is the yt with the dog? Great. just f*cking great. If so, sick world.

SensiMania

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,244 5,003 1,515
Alleybux
Welp...Satan is still Satan, is what you're telling us, OP? I knew it was fake too, y'all.

I had to get myself together for being disgusted by what looked like the little boy being overwhelmed at getting a hug from massa. Now, knowing his guardian might've forced him to do it, his tears make sense; but I'm even more disturbed.

Momma, daddy, somebody...out there protesting and just couldn't resist the urge for validation from yt..and using the child as a proxy? Great. Just f*cking great.

EDITED BECAUSE...Seeking clarity:
So, y'all are saying that the guardian is the yt with the dog? Great. just f*cking great. If so, sick world.
Two of them. I believe I saw on CNN or some other news outlet this week that the little boy is being raised by two white women.

JerzyD

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
441 7 5
Alleybux
That child was terrified and I wondered what he was really thinking, and if the sign was his ideal. Bottom line I side eyed this from the jump.

CAKEBOSS

DEDICATED
Reaction score
Reactions
781 11 7
Alleybux
So they pimped this childs terror to the media. It's worse than I thought.... Disgusted and speechless at the gall of these "guardians".