Quantcast

Finale predictions aka how do you think Pete will **** this thing up?

GrahamCracker

Don't fµck with me fellas!
Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
This latest Sam/Hannah/Frank reveal (can it even be called a twist when it changes nothing?) made me wonder what is the predominant reasoning behind wrapping up the show. It has to be some combination of fan service, shock value and making some logic sense out of the story lines. I wonder which one will prevail.
The latest episode made me think they're going fan service above everything else. Usually they'd take a fan theory and tease it only to twist it in a different direction (think how they teased Wes being Annalise' son for a while...).

Pete's writing has always been about introducing a twist just because and than "spin" the ramifications of it based on how he feels about the characters.
This for example explains how he turned Sam into a xesual abuse victim. He always implicitly wrote as if Sam being killed was this huge injustice - the show establishes Sam as a bad guy, the justice system as noneffective and not trustworthy, seemingly to make Sam's murder and the cover-up as both justified and inevitable - to give us a reason to root for the characters. They achieve this with the cases of the week - all of Annalise's clients are innocent culminating with the case involving Asher's father and Rebecca - the prosecutors couldn't care less about what happened or Lila, they just wanted to get it over with and Rebecca was the easiest target among the suspects.

So by murder night only a complete idiot would have thought it was a good idea to trust the police and the DA office. It's also interesting that they all refer to themselves as being Sam's killer - they all consider themselves guilty of murder.

Pete obviously abandoned that direction deciding instead to muddle the waters - a subtle way he did this was by making Annalise's clients guilty. This culminates in the sociopath teen who manipulates a group of friends to kill one of them - Connor causes Annalise to lose the case by leaking a video to the aDA. By this time Pete also changed the K5 characters. In S1 this wouldn't have made sense for Connor or Michaela. It would have made more sense for Wes and Laurel who were the moral ones and social justice sensible part of the group. Pete eventually stripped them of this characteristic to give it to Connor - who in S1 was essentially the gate keeper to Oliver or slept his way to evidence.
Interestingly Wes and Laurel were the original smart ones but Pete took that away from them too (even as far as grades go - even as far as S2 Annalise says Wes' grades are supposed to better then just fine and he confirms, in one of the last conversations he has with Laurel she asks him about his grades noting he has issues with that).

Now despite it being established that Sam was a bad guy and got Lila murdered, he kept pushing a narrative that goes against that - Rebecca is treated as if she was guilty if Lila's and Sam's murder so she's killed off, Annalise is punished for covering the murder up (her final storyline still plays on the idea that she's actually guilty - she could easily throw them all under the bus and save herself - she has no one to protect at this point.), Wes who killed him is killed off himself (his death being foreshadowed as early as S2). Frank who actually killed Lila on Sam's order is redeemed, Bonnie (who's team Sam well into S2) is also forgiven for killing Lila (this hurt Wes' plot as we already knew what happened to Rebecca so him investigating it felt pointless).
S2 is really heavy on making us think Annalise is the big villain "who ruins everyone's lives" who in turn blames Wes for ruining hers. I think every character threw that line at her that season (Eve included btw.) - most interestingly Frank who is trashing her behind her back to Laurel throughout the season - all the while we were about to find out he caused the accident that ended in her losing her unborn son - but it was her fault because she was not nice to him after getting him out of jail.
Meanwhile the flashbacks keep painting Sam as the long suffering husband - they even did a retcon when they decided Annalise cheated with Nate before Sam did with Lila.
There is a logic to how the show s written it just happens to be an exceptionally dumb one - basically Pete keeps chipping away from some characters (Annalise, Wes, Laurel...) to give to others (Sam, Frank, Connor, Oliver...) while mostly ignoring others (Michaela, Bonnie, Nate, Tegan, Gabriel...) who are either plot devices or side kicks.

You can predict almost every direction the show took keeping these dynamics in mind - some of the twists are too random to predict but they do follow this same logic in how it affects the characters.

This makes me wonder what he'll do for the big finale. If he goes full on echo chamber fan service he may end up doing something stupid like having Connor save the day or actually kill off Annalise and make it "her fault" so the Sam vindication is pushed even further.

I think it's perfectly possible that Michaela, Bonnie, Nate, Tegan and Gabriel will still end up dead for shock value - i think none of them will have a particularly important role in the remaining episodes. All the not-happy endings for shock value are among them. Annalise and Laurel may end up dead because it seems like something that feels right to Pete. Either way i think he's ambivalent about giving them a happy ending. All the not-happy endings for shock value are in that among those characters. They can go either way, it all depends on Wes as all three are always on the same side - if Wes is alive they get a happy ending.
I wonder if Frank will end up "losing" - this depends on how the revel reflects on him. If he's being thrown under the bus than they'll introduce something that makes him non-redeemable as of now his nasty backstory suggest he'll get a happy ending.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,893 5,783 517
Alleybux

"Nobody deserves to get away with murder," he says. "Some of them will, some of them won’t. I want people to be horrified by that."
Knowing that Pete wants to horrify his audience really says it all. If Annalise lives I wouldn't be surprised if that was the extent of her happiness. Eve will still claim to be in love and happy with Vanessa. I can see Tegan being killed off for retaliation for helping Laurel. Killing off Gabriel seems very logical and would be used to guilt trip Annalise over. I don't see my pops getting a happy ending. I agree with your assessment of those not having much to do in these last episodes. I think that Frank, Connor, Oliver, and will have happy endings. Laurel and Michaela I can see it going either way. I don't see Bonnie having a happy ending.

Last edited:

AfroPuffs

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,050 876 181
Alleybux

Knowing that Pete wants to horrify his audience really says it all. If Annalise lives I wouldn't be surprised if that was the extent of her happiness. Eve will still claim to be in love and happy with Vanessa. I can see Tegan being killed off for retaliation for helping Laurel. Killing off Gabriel seems very logical and would be used to guilt trip Annalise over. I don't see my pops getting a happy ending. I agree with your assessment of those not having much to do in these last episodes. I think that Frank, Connor, Oliver, and will have happy endings. Laurel and Michaela I can see it going either way. I don't see Bonnie having a happy ending.

this is not a horror show/movie. His nonsense is mind blowing to me because he actually thinks this show is the sh!t. Well yeah it is sh!t, completely sh!tty bc of him. Ughhh.

KieraMonae

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,035 410 29
Alleybux

Trying to get clues from the preview was hopeless it only made me more confused.

Last edited:

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux

Annalise literally says more than once that the kids' testimonies are pointless!

Also look at how he retconed half of the show revolving around Sam's death completely leaving Lila and Rebecca out which doesn't work neither for Annalise nor for the kids and he completely forgot the vast majority of Annalise's clients were innocent which would be both easy to prove and help Annalise tremendously. Instead he acts as if Annalise was setting murderers, rapist and thieves free for 6 seasons and the dumb Ks agree?

Soca Priestess

High Ranking Socatologist
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
265,457 2,958 645
Alleybux
It's probably gonna have a stupid ending. I do hope Peter's simple ass never leads another show. Look at this mess.

atx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,644 426 45
Alleybux
How will Pete get away with killing his hit show?

- Killing of Anna Mae
- Not giving Anna Mae a happy ending
- Focusing on Sam or Laurel’s family again
- Not wrapping up loose ends he made
- Literally any other way, take your pick. Feel it’s less than a 10% chance he ends this show right in a way that satisfies the average viewer and not his crazy Twitter Connor/Oliver fan base.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,893 5,783 517
Alleybux
2lvdtskhz8y41.jpg

13SR.gif

3b9ff936e1b777969f72c4e43e0b9cc5.gif

Last edited:

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,927 1,770 409
Alleybux
I always try to rewatch season 1 of a show before the show finale, and I will say is, I think it will be a let down.

Will Annalise really die? I hope not, but maybe Wes was really Wes in heaven, since everyone was wearing Black.

Will Nate be involved? Possibly.

This finale should have been at least 2 hours.

atx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,644 426 45
Alleybux
Seems Connor gets a happy ending. Screw everybody else. So disappointing.

Series Creator Peter Nowalk Reflects on the 'How to Get Away With Murder' Legacy

With Connor, I'm a gay man. So, that was very personal to me. I was desperate for a character like him, and I'd seen really good gay characters in Queer as Folk, but that was a long time ago. So, that was when I realized, he's gonna be out and loud, and obnoxious, and confident, and xesual. That was very purposeful. But that was the only one where I felt like I went in with motive, and then the rest of all your other characters have to compete with that.

LS: Do any of these messages in particular stand out to you?

PN: This won't be a surprise. I really love the ones from younger gay people and queer people who say that it made it easier for them to come out to their parents because there was something they watched together. And even if it's not about coming out, it's about showing them there's lots of different ways to be gay or queer. I just wanted to create Connor to be awesome. And I went from there. And so that just tells me that it worked. And I feel proud of that. There's nothing like getting a nice fan message because that's why I wanted to write TV, because I was that kid – just loving and living vicariously through a TV show.

DC123

Anna Mae
Reaction score
Reactions
221,893 5,783 517
Alleybux

Series Creator Peter Nowalk Reflects on the 'How to Get Away With Murder' Legacy
This is not directed at you but I hope no one seriously thinks that anything bad would happen to Pete's pet. He's so incredibly tone death. Even though both him and Michaela lied on Annalise Michaela's testimony was written much worse than poor traumatized Connor.

I scanned the article and got a good laugh at how he thinks dropping the Michaela/Tegan plot for the one sided Annalise/Tegan one was a good move. If he really cared about what people tweet him in comments he would know that those who shipped Tegalise actually wanted a relationship not what's been written. You know just good consistent story telling.

Someone said that Viola was on GMA this morning but from her entire this looks like it was filmed back in the fall. I wonder if she'll do any new interviews. Very interesting that she said she's disappointed that Annalise didn't find a great love. Really Pete?

Last edited:

SweetSound

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,973 39 37
Alleybux
It will all be a dream. That way Pete doesn’t have to give so many answers to long over due questions

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux

I'm not sure about a happy ending but he's definitely getting a "moral high ground" one.

As for the rest of the interview it all seems to come down to this - he only ever really cared about Connor, the rest is whatever the other writers and the actors came up with.
It's making me believe even more that he got rid of Wes because he was stealing the spotlight that he envisioned for Connor. He brings up that scene from the pilot with Viola and Alfred - he said more than once that their chemistry in that scene inspired their future storylines. Alfred even said that the vast majority of the scenes that explore Wes as a character never aired.
In S4 they attempted to make Annalise-Connor a thing but it never worked the way Annalise-Wes did so they abandoned it and confined Connor back to his Coliver "spinoff within a show" corner.

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
I always try to rewatch season 1 of a show before the show finale, and I will say is, I think it will be a let down.

Will Annalise really die? I hope not, but maybe Wes was really Wes in heaven, since everyone was wearing Black.

Will Nate be involved? Possibly.

This finale should have been at least 2 hours.
I don't think an hour longer of a finale would have helped. They gave them a whole final season. Most of the plots could and should have been closed in the first half of the season - instead they filled it with plots that went nowhere or serve no real purpose.

peppercorn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,579 1,966 138
Alleybux
I always thought that when Wes died the show would spend each season killing off one of the K5 until it came down to Annalise and the last one standing, with only the two of them holding all of the secrets and one truly getting away with murder. Instead we had all of these deaths that did nothing but stall the stories and too much focus on characters that should have never been made the focus, like Laurel. I thought we would slowly learn before each died why they really were chosen as one of the K5, and that there was more to this than a keystone cops version of killers just murdering and panicking season after season. This damn show was like an eliminated dish on Top Chef, too many ingredients and no focus.

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,927 1,770 409
Alleybux
I always thought that when Wes died the show would spend each season killing off one of the K5 until it came down to Annalise and the last one standing, with only the two of them holding all of the secrets and one truly getting away with murder. Instead we had all of these deaths that did nothing but stall the stories and too much focus on characters that should have never been made the focus, like Laurel. I thought we would slowly learn before each died why they really were chosen as one of the K5, and that there was more to this than a keystone cops version of killers just murdering and panicking season after season. This damn show was like an eliminated dish on Top Chef, too many ingredients and no focus.
This is perfectly stated @peppercorn